BombermanBoard Forum Index BombermanBoard
Bomberman Community

Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
System Discussion # 1: The Gamecube Good or Bad?
[Replies: 14]  [Views: 6061]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General

Poll Results

Gamecube on a scale of 1 to 5 (5 is the best)
 0%  [ 0 ]
 7%  [ 1 ]
 21%  [ 3 ]
 50%  [ 7 ]
 21%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes: 14

Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#1  Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:20 pm  Reply with quote + 
This will be the first in a (possible?) series of videogame system debates.

Your opinion or views on the success of the gamecube and your personal enjoyment of the system.

My experience with the system was itneresting.

I got mine back on christmas of 2002. So the system had been out about a year.
My first games for the system were...
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Phantasy Star Online episodes 1 and 2
Super Mario Sunshine
I also got Metroid Prime the day after Christmas

The first year with the system I wasn't too crazy about it. I loved Phantasy Star Online but I couldn't gather significant interest in any of my other early games. I didn't like Sonic adventure 2 much and Prime was too weird for me. Sunshine was amusing for alittle while but I never finished it cause I got bored with the game.

Game highlights: My favorite games for the system that I've owned.

Phantasy Star Online
I played this game so much it was like drugs. I must have over a thousand hours playtime on it. Fun game. I played it online. I played it with my friends and I played it by myself constantly.

Super Smash bros. Melee
I got melee a few monthes after my gamecube. This was easily one of the best games for the system. What's better then playing your friends in Smash brothers. This game got alot of playtime and will continue to do so unbtill the next smash bros. is released even then. I still pull out classic smash bros for N64 sometimes so I'll still play this from tiem to time. The replay value king.

Skies of Arcadia
Another Sega rerelease, I had alot of fun with this game because like PSO it was a pretty new game to me. I never played it on Dreamcast and PSO I only played alittle on Dreamcast. The cast and story were pretty interesting and it was fun to play through not to mention the interesting ship battles and stuff. The game had great value for the 20 dollars reduced price I payed. I had wanted the game awhile but never wanted to shell out the 50 cause I didn't make much $$$ then. Overall a fun game.

Tales of Symphonia
As RPGs go on the gamecube this was my definate favorite easily. The game surpassed Skies in pretty much everyway. (and skies was a great game) The soundtrack was awesome the characters were awesome the story was awesome. The game was almost perfection. I laughed so many times and had so much fun with it. I easily got over a hundred hours out of it. If you own a gamecube and you like RP{Gs you need to have this game. In my opinion it was the best game on the system.

Puyo Pop Fever
I haven't had this game long but for the time I've had it. I've played it quite a bit. I'm a puzzle fanatic and I already own two older versions of this game but I love it all the same. Its cute characters and nifty music and tons of new modes make it worth its cheap price 15-20 bucks. A fun game. I love verse moding my friends.

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
I have yet to finish playing through this game but any Fire Emblem game is good stuff. The games last awhile and are alot of fun. Alot of character interaction and storytext make it an interesting game to play through. I just have a thing for tactical RPGs.

Other games I had moderate fun with....

Megaman X: Command Mission
Star fox Assualt
Megaman Anniversary Collection
Custom Robo
Phantasy Star Online episode 3
Sonic Riders
Ikaruga

I don't think i forgot anything

My overall experience with the gamecube started out alittle rough and I thoguht the system was going downhill but as time went by a few games helped redeem its value and other games kept me busy. Not to mention solid games like Tales, Melee, and PSO that lasted so long.

I rated the system a 3 on the poll. It was nothing amazing but it was a solid system thats worth buying.
View user profile Send Private Message
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#2  Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:31 pm  Reply with quote + 
I'll also post a 3, but thats ignoring most of the games you mentioned, cause i have those on my dreamcast.

Biggest con to the GC in my opinion is the controller, that tiny thing hurts my hands faster then the regular nintendo controller. Reason it gets a 3 is there are some serious gems on this system that you can't get on other systems, SSBM, well, since i don't own a gamecube thats pretty much my entire list of things i can think of.

To be honest though, i like it better then the PS2, the XBOX may get a 4, but the dreamcast in my opinion also beats it with a 4, which means, in 3 years you still don't come up with a far superior product, thats kindof sad.
Glair Bomber
Bomberdude

Post#3  Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:16 pm  Reply with quote + 
I gave a Gamecube a 4, but I guess that's for my own reasons. ^^ About four years back, I had broken my leg during a baseball game, and while in the ambulence, my dad had told me he had gotten a Gamecube. I was so excited, I think I passed out. The entire time, I rambled on about games I couldn't wait to play such as SSBM (it did make everything more painless, such as the IV).

So for a while, I had to games on the Gamecube; SSBM and Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. SSBM was great, obviously, but after playing it for several days (alone, I might add) you could imagine it got... dull.

I decided to have a go at SA2B. I had never been much of a Sonic fan, but this game changed that for me. I loved it! I play it again and again these days, and I still find myself enjoying it, but I have no idea why. It's not like there's anything spectacular about the game itself, but I guess I'm just one for kiddy games. xD

Well, now, I have a LOT more than just two games. I don't think I'll be able to list them all, but here's a few highlights:

Starfox Adventures
Skies of Arcadia
Bomberman Jetters (simply because I like the series! xD This game really, REALLY lacks)
Mario Party 4 and 5 (I don't own 6 and 7)
Sonic Riders
Harvest Moon

So those were a few. I like Gamecube more than say, an X-Box, simply because of the games. I like games with fun characters and good gameplay. I'm not saying X-Box doesn't have those, but I find a lot of the games revolve around either shooting or sports, and those don't do it for me. I have a PS2 as well (which I absolutely ADORE), and I would probably give that a 5 because of the games I LOVE playing on it! ^__^

People think it's weird that I love my Gamecube so much... but what can I say? It's an old friend that helped me get through hard times, and I still get comfort from it to this day.

Hero the level 43 Meowth!
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#4  Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:59 pm  Reply with quote + 
I remember my bro and I getting the GCN for Christmas a couple of years ago. We played PSO pretty much everyday, all the time.... Good times we had on that little system.... The best games for it are definatly SSB:M and ToS out of the ones I played. However, after a while, the little box of joys, sadly, didn't provide much joy for myself. In other words, I got tired of it. Tired of playing the same games, over and over and over again. I gave it three because, don't get me wrong, it's a great system with a good assortment of games, but I got kinda bored with it after awhile. I simiply started to get tired of it... There's my five cents for this subject.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
Hammer Bomber
Bomberman

Post#5  Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:50 pm  Reply with quote + 
i know this is a dumb comment but the simple reason i borght it was because it appealed to me

(i had a mutch more meaningful post crafted but Opera crashed and i lost it :sad:  )
Bonk
Bomberdude

Post#6  Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:06 pm  Reply with quote + 
Since this thread needs more hate and everyone else posted, I think it's my turn.

I have mixed feelings for the GCN. While it des have many high quality games none of them are truly excellent (required playing) and most of the games are 8/10 quality. Here are al the games I own, in extremely short reviews:

Animal Crossing - Never really played it, more of my brother's thing.

Billy Hatcher & The Giant Egg - utter crap. Sega deserved their fate if this is what they think of releasing. The modern day equivalent of Bubsy or one of those horrible platformers, 5/10.

Bomberman Jetters - We've al had our discussion about this. 7/10.

F-Zero GX - Suprisingly good, hard as hell. 8.5/10

Harvest Moon - Haven't played it due to lack of memory card space.

Zelda Collector's Edition - Never played it because I've beaten every game on it.

Zelda: Master Quest - The remixed dungeons were nice but I wish they would have done something with the rest of the game (a graphical touch up perhaps), 8/10.

Wind Waker - Everyone knows this is shit, even Nintendo said it was shit. 7/10.

Luigi's Mansion - A hardware demo with a pathetic gimmick. It woud help if they weren't mimicking Resident Evil, an awful series. 6.5/10.

Mario Kart Double Dash - Maybe my standards are too high but compared to the N64 game this one seems like a generic racer, and the 2-person carts seems too gimmicky for my tastes. The stages are poorly designed. 7/10.

Metroid Prime - Just an average FPS with a horrible weapon system, but excellent level of details. The gameplay was pretty linear, go from one corner of the map to the other grabbing powerups, basically go find the key but in a disguise. It drew too much influence from Zelda (like the control scheme) and the bosses were basically the same type as you would fight in Zelda (let's use the item we found in this dungeon in order to kill the boss!) but overall it was pretty good; soundtrack kcked ass. 8.5/10.

Metroid Prime 2 - Crap. Not an ounce of originality. Instead of fixing what was wrong with Prime the broke it in other ways. The plot has been done 500 times before and the main enemy is a direct ripoff of the bugs from Starship Troopers. The light world/dark world was pretty cool but hardly original and you had to get TWO suit powerups to be able to stand around without being killed. I like how they advertise the ammo system on the box like it's something new. The soundtrack still kicked ass. 8/10.

Paper Mario 2 - Pathetic RPG for first time RPG players. So overly simplistic I felt like Nintendo was trying to insult my intelligence. No wonder they can't seem to get 3rd party support for RPGs, they don't know a crappy RPG when they see one. 6.5/10.

Pikmin - Cute, fun, short. 9/10.

Resident Evil 4 - This would justify the purchase of a GCN if it wasn't also out for PS2. The only way they could have made this better is if they stuck to either a 1st or 3rd person view (instead of this over the shoulder crap), got rid of the annoyng brat you have to babysit for half the game, and made all the enemies zombies and Leon into Ash Williams (giving him a chainsaw arm) and called it Army of Darkness: The Game. 9.5/10.

Sonic Mega Collection - It's sonic.

Star Fox Adventures - Horrible Zelda clone. The only thing good about this game is the graphics (better than the sequel). This game might as well not have existed since it killed off andross. They should have just introduced Krystal at the beginning of Assault and left Adventures unreleased. 6/10.

Star Fox Assault - 100 times better than Adventures. The running segments aren't as bad as people say. The Arwing stages are too short and linear (except for the free roaming stages which are too small). The storyline is needlessly generic and the dialog is THE cheesiest you'll ever see outside a made for TV movie. The soundtrack is painfully good, better than most films. 8/10.

Super Mario Sunshine - They put everything on an island which gives them an excuse to make all the environments look the same. The backpack is a gimmick, the gameplay too linear, bad stage design. Above average platformer, 8/10.

Super Monkey Ball - Fun, hard, addictive. 9/10.

Super Monkey Ball 2 - See above but replace 'fun' with 'frustrating' and 'hard' with 'ridiculously near impossible cheap difficulty', Still addctive, 8/10.

SSBM - The new character roster was pathetic. Pichu, Roy, Faco, Ganondorf, etc had no reason to exist. Most of the stages were just a platform with a few other platforms in midair (same problem the first gae had). Tons of replay value, really good. Alot of new moves were hilariously unrealistic, worse than anything I've ever seen in a real fghting game. 9/10.

TimeSplitters 2 - Doesn't realy matter since it was originally made for the PS2.

Viewtiful Joe - Never bothered to play past stage 2.

So overall, I found the GCN's library to be playable but nothing outstanding (meaning 10/10 must play games). Nintendo doesn't have to work hard to make a good game but I don't play good games, I play excellent ones. I would like to see more effort and less market saturation on the Wii.

Edit: forgot to say, I gave it a 4/5.
Hammer Bomber wrote:
(i had a mutch more meaningful post crafted but Opera crashed and i lost it :sad:  )
REAL MEN USE INTERNET EXPLORER, WIMP. TOUGH IT OUT AND TAKE A FEW SECURITY HOLES.
JET_ALONE
Bomberdude

Post#7  Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:10 am  Reply with quote + 
:happy:  Hope you were being sarcastic about that remark.

And um, that was weird. From your opinions on allot of those games it seems that you're pretty hard to please, and yet you gave them some pretty high scores... :mystery: 

Well anyway, Gamecube. Meh. Well I wouldn't ever touch an Xbox or a PS2 for fun, because low framerate and loading times kill my souls, so I guess Gamecube is, or was for me. I'd like to get another 'Cube one day. An orange japanese one! With a Gameboy Player and stuff.

There's so many games I haven't played but I'd love to play. I've never actually played Bomberman Generation or Jetters and I don't care what people say of them. I wanna play! I really do.

I liked Wind Waker, even if they did never finish it properly. The ending made me shed one or two tears. Recently I've become too emotional. :oops: 
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#8  Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:17 pm  Reply with quote + 
Well this discussion isn't turning out too bad eh? We should give the others a bit more time. I'm sure we'll get some more people's opinions on it.

There was some real crap on this system, I noticed Kuttlas mentioned that terrible game Billy Hatcher... Ugh...

There are some pretty well liked games I haven't tried on it yet either but I don't always tend to agree. Like Wind Waker and Metroid Prime for example... Alot of people like Harvest Moon. I'm slightly intrigued to play it but I dunno.

Another thing I wanted to mention about the cube is its awesome Gameboy player. Playing my GBA games on a television is quite funner then playing them even on my DS. It makes playing games like Fire Emblem hours on end much more comfortable.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#9  Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:30 pm  Reply with quote + 
Ah yes, Billy Hatcher.....

What have you done, Sega? Making somewhat disappointing Sonic games, I could forgive, but a game about a guy rolling eggs? What was Sega/Sonic Team on, high on eggs or something?

Oh yeah, I forgot about that miracle device known as the GBA Player. That is a awesome piece of work, allowing one to play any Game Boy game on the Gamecube. If only they had a Super NES controller instead of the Gamecube controller, but that's understandable... That made playing certain games more enjoyable, such as Fire Emblem or other GBA RPG games (The Castlevania games were a lot more enjoyable on the big screen as opposed to a tiny Game Boy screen). The Gamecube instantly gets points just for the GBA Player.

I also recall Animal Crossing being amusing as well, when I played my cousin's copy of the game. That game was pretty different from other games I played, and it was quite relaxing as well. No tension, no adrinline rushes, nothing like that. I got extra points because you could play Nintendo games in that game, which were fun for a little while. I also kinda liked the Robotech game, even though it was hard, I mainly liked it because I loved the anime the game was based on and it had the same story told from a different perspective. But yeah, the Gamecube, as I said before, wasn't a bad system, I just got bored of the little cube after awhile.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
JET_ALONE
Bomberdude

Post#10  Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:29 am  Reply with quote + 
Quote:
Oh yeah, I forgot about that miracle device known as the GBA Player. That is a awesome piece of work, allowing one to play any Game Boy game on the Gamecube. If only they had a Super NES controller instead of the Gamecube controller, but that's understandable... That made playing certain games more enjoyable, such as Fire Emblem or other GBA RPG games (The Castlevania games were a lot more enjoyable on the big screen as opposed to a tiny Game Boy screen). The Gamecube instantly gets points just for the GBA Player.

Hori pads, which are in the shape and basic button layout (Really to match GCN's though) of a Super Famicom controller are available in either purple or black from places like Lik-Sang and other online shopping sites. They look really good. Me want.

Wow, but the GCN is basically dead now. Wii is next.
Angelus
Bomberdude

Post#11  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:08 pm  Reply with quote + 
Donkey Konga. I'd give it an 8/10, because half of the songs sucked. It was like a portable DDR. IMO it was a better party game than Mario Party.
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#12  Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:00 pm  Reply with quote + 
Keyser Soze wrote:
REAL MEN USE INTERNET EXPLORER, WIMP. TOUGH IT OUT AND TAKE A FEW SECURITY HOLES.

Thats eather some of the best sarcasm i've ever heard, or the worst serious statement i've ever heard. Funny eather way though... /e coughs, FIREFOX.
Bonk
Bomberdude

Post#13  Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:42 pm  Reply with quote + 
Thread over. Someone make a new debate topic, preferrably something more polarizing; I'm thinking along the lines of "PS3 -- Worth it?" or "Why didn't the Dreamcast recieve its well earned death sooner?" or "most overrated game of all time?"
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#14  Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:45 pm  Reply with quote + 
Well, why don't you make it then...?
Bonk
Bomberdude

Post#15  Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:04 pm  Reply with quote + 
I wanted someone else to pick the topics so I could remain as neutral as possble, but thread comin' boss.
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2280s
Index - Back to Top