Need help making Bomberman game.
[Replies: 9]  [Views: 4474]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Game Help
Users watching this topic: 1  
nadiya8040
Bomberdude

Post#1  Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:05 am  Reply with quote + 
Tried using some sources, like AIs from Bomberman Example made by Jaklub to put it together and it's not working...... Where's the Bomberman template game?
View user profile Send Private Message
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#2  Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:40 am  Reply with quote + 
There is no "Bomberman template game" that will just allow you to make the game you want without learning how to program. There are starter demos, like Jaklub's example game which you mentioned. I'm not sure why you can't get it to "work", or what that even really means... Some more information would be helpful.

If you're really passionate about making your own Bomberman game, I highly recommend that you take the time to learn the inner workings of the game and build your own engine. Pick the Bomberman game you'd like to imitate the most. Let's say, for example, it's Super Bomberman 3. Play the game, start a Battle Game with only you and one human player and infinite time. Then mess around, figure out how fast Bomberman moves, how and when he wraps around corners, how far he throws bombs from a standing or running position or if the presence of other players affects the distance, how fast bombs are kicked, how many pump frames it takes for a bomb to explode and how quickly it animates, how long it takes a bomb hit by an explosion to also explode, etc. etc.

Jot these measurements down and use them to build and test your own clone.

As for AI, do the same thing but set an AI character as your sole opponent in the Battle Game. If possible, use cheat codes to make you both invincible. If it's a game that features selectable characters, start with a normal Bomberman opponent without any added flavour, to study its most basic behaviour. There are also good open-source Bomberman clones that people have made, like Jaklub's example and Bombermaaan, which could be helpful if you need to study the code itself and learn how other people have written basic AI routines. From there on, it's a matter of deciding what specific behaviours you'd like to add, maybe for certain characters, and/or how you'd like to refine the AI, either at a basic level or for other difficulty settings.

tl;dr if you want to learn how to make a Bomberman game, you need to be willing to learn. If you're heavily invested in doing this, it's a lot more fun than it sounds.
nadiya8040
Bomberdude

Post#3  Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:35 am  Reply with quote + 
Honestly, Nadiya is having trouble with working AI Scripts on Bomberman game with using Game Maker Studio, As he used the sources from Bomberman Example from Game Maker 8.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#4  Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:11 am  Reply with quote + 
While I haven't worked with Game Maker Studio (I started to port an old GM8 project some years ago, but it didn't seem worth the trouble), I am vaguely aware that there are significant changes in the language. If you Google the problems that come up, by this point in time, you'll almost certainly find a forum topic by somebody else who has had and resolved that issue. Depending on what the code is like, it might be tedious and painful, but if you want to use GM Studio with an older GM project then there's no other way. But it is totally possible to make those changes and get the game to work again.
nadiya8040
Bomberdude

Post#5  Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:56 pm  Reply with quote + 
He don't know how to make AI scripts, He tried some ai scripts from Bomberman Example, and it didn't work. besides, the tile size are totally 2x bigger than Jaklub's.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#6  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:13 am  Reply with quote + 
If he doesn't know how to program AI, then he should learn if he legitimately wants to make this game. Study the scripts, don't just try to copy them and hope for the best. That's why Jaklub made the game open-source... so you can actually look at his code and learn how he made things work, and use it as a base for your own Bomberman game.
nadiya8040
Bomberdude

Post#7  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:39 am  Reply with quote + 
Plasma Catgirl wrote:
If he doesn't know how to program AI, then he should learn if he legitimately wants to make this game. Study the scripts, don't just try to copy them and hope for the best. That's why Jaklub made the game open-source... so you can actually look at his code and learn how he made things work, and use it as a base for your own Bomberman game.

Well, He needs better AI Scripting source, okay?
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#8  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:51 am  Reply with quote + 
It sounds to me like he's just having problems porting the code to GM Studio, and is giving up because he doesn't know how to fix them... which I addressed earlier.

If you're going to complain about one of, like, two available open-source Bomberman games with battle AI, then I don't know what to tell you. He's going to have a hard time making his game from scratch if actually reading pre-made scripts is too hard for him. I may sound cruel, but this is what he needs to hear; I am doing you both a favour by stating this outright.
nadiya8040
Bomberdude

Post#9  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:54 am  Reply with quote + 
Plasma Catgirl wrote:
It sounds to me like he's just having problems porting the code to GM Studio, and is giving up because he doesn't know how to fix them... which I addressed earlier.

If you're going to complain about one of, like, two available open-source Bomberman games with battle AI, then I don't know what to tell you. He's going to have a hard time making his game from scratch if actually reading pre-made scripts is too hard for him. I may sound cruel, but this is what he needs to hear; I am doing you both a favour by stating this outright.

In fact, he tried programming with source from bomberman example. The ais eventally put bomb and kill themselves because they didn't escape from being killed.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#10  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:57 am  Reply with quote + 
Okay? Then read the script and try to determine where that happens. Then fix it.

Nobody is going to make the game for you.
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Game Help All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1547s
Index - Back to Top