BombermanBoard Forum Index BombermanBoard
Bomberman Community

Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
Any Bomberman games for the DS you guys reccomend?
[Replies: 48]  [Views: 15172]
Users browsing this topic: 2 Guests
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General

W.A.C.
Bomberdude

Post#1  Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:29 am  Reply with quote + 
I plan to get a 3DS XL later this year and found out tonight that DS games aren't region locked for the 3DS. [LINK] Finding this out was great news as Bomberman DS 2 never released in America. This caused me to do some research and it seems like most of the Bomberman games that released for the DS weren't too great. I care a lot about single player modes in Bomberman games and the single player for Bomberman DS looks pretty mediocre from what I've seen in YouTube videos. Since the multiplayer mode for a lot of DS Bomberman games looks identical, the game doesn't look like it's worth my time. Are there any other Bomberman games for the DS that look like good games besides Bomberman DS 2? Is Bomberman DS 2 a good game? Any suggestions on where I can import that game? Thanks in advance for any help. :happy: 

Edit-

Anything special about Bomberman Blitz?

Edit-

Just found out DS games that are DSi enhanced will not work on the 3DS. Is Bomberman DS 2 a game that's DSi enhanced?

Edit-

It's too bad the level design for Bomberman DS looks so bland because the art direction is really nice. :/
Bomberstar

Post#2  Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:28 am  Reply with quote + 
I haven't played any of the DS Bomberman games as none of them interested me enough to check them out. So I don't really have any suggestions.

From what i can tell none of the bomberman games seem to be dsi enhanced so you should be safe with that. There are a few lists on google and none of the ones I saw have any bomberman games in them.

As far as picking them up goes Amazon and Ebay are always good bets. I prefer Amazon. I've never had a problem with them. just make sure the seller's feedback is good. Bomberman 2 is available in english if you get the Europe version but you can get the Japanese version cheaper if you wanna pick it up used.. Search for "Custom Battler bomberman" if you want the japanese version

Sorry I couldn't help you all that much.
View user profile Send Private Message
Hammer Bomber
Bomberman

Post#3  Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:31 pm  Reply with quote + 
• Bomberman DS is passable, 8 player battle mode over 2 screens works well

• You can also get this with Bomberman 2, which has attached to it one of my faverate story modes (it calls it mission mode). Dunno why we got it in Europe while you lot didn't.

• The Bomberman Land DS games are rubbish, avoid those. Bomberman Story DS has decent enough gameplay but the storyline is dross and there are some frustratingly dull 'town' areas that shouldn't be there.

• Wikipedia says Bomberman Blitz is just Bomberman DS in a downloadable and slightly reworked form

Summary - If you see Bomberman DS for a good price, pick it up. It supports one cart download play so is (as Bomberman always is) damn good fun with chums. Bomberman 2 is excellent, there is a copy on eBay with a seller who will post to the US, However you may deem the price to be too steep

Executive summary - Get a DS flashcart and pirate Bomberman 2. I wouldn't normally condone such behaviour but it wasn't released in your region anyway so bollocks to the establishment

Last edited by Hammer Bomber on Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:56 pm
HienFan
Bomberman

Post#4  Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:39 pm  Reply with quote + 
Yeah Bomberman Land is not a very good long term thing. Especially the localized ones but they aren't that horrible just a poor man Mario Party.

But Bomberman DS 2 and Story are your best bet far as I know
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#5  Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:54 pm  Reply with quote + 
I concur with Hammer. Custom Battler Bomberman (Bomberman DS 2) has a great single-player mode. The battle game is probably also good, but I was never able to try it out. You can unlock maps and such throughout the game.

If I were you, I'd only pick up Bomberman DS if you want to play the battle game with friends. The single player option is just a bunch of NES-esque Bomberman maps - no traps or special features whatsoever, from what I can remember. It differs from other installments in that it brings in some enemies from Super Bomberman and maybe Super Bomberman 2 (can't remember), and the bosses are rehashes from older games like Super Bomberman 3, Bomberman '93, and maybe Bomberman '94...

I have no real opinion on Bomberman Story DS, as I've never played through the whole thing. I wasn't very impressed with what little I've played of it, but I can't really judge it.
W.A.C.
Bomberdude

Post#6  Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:39 pm  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
I haven't played any of the DS Bomberman games as none of them interested me enough to check them out. So I don't really have any suggestions.

From what i can tell none of the bomberman games seem to be dsi enhanced so you should be safe with that. There are a few lists on google and none of the ones I saw have any bomberman games in them.

Good to know. Thanks for the information.

Regulus 777 wrote:
As far as picking them up goes Amazon and Ebay are always good bets. I prefer Amazon. I've never had a problem with them. just make sure the seller's feedback is good. Bomberman 2 is available in english if you get the Europe version but you can get the Japanese version cheaper if you wanna pick it up used.. Search for "Custom Battler bomberman" if you want the japanese version

Sorry I couldn't help you all that much.

I would definitely get the English version if I buy the game.

Hammer Bomber wrote:
• Bomberman DS is passable, 8 player battle mode over 2 screens works well

Is there anything from the multiplayer mode in Bomberman DS that isn't on Bomberman DS 2?

Hammer Bomber wrote:
• You can also get this with Bomberman 2, which has attached to it one of my faverate story modes (it calls it mission mode). Dunno why we got it in Europe while you lot didn't.

My guess is maybe Bomberman sells better in Europe? That probably would describe why games like Super Bomberman 3 and Bomberman Story DS released in Europe but not America. I don't think the series was ever very popular in the U.S. A shame too because Hudson's refusal bring certain games to America caused me to miss out on a lot of interesting Bomberman games when I was younger. D:

Hammer Bomber wrote:
• The Bomberman Land DS games are rubbish, avoid those. Bomberman Story DS has decent enough gameplay but the storyline is dross and there are some frustratingly dull 'town' areas that shouldn't be there.

Yeah, the Land games don't interest me at all. Bomberman Story DS seemed interesting in concept but judging from what I've watched of it, I dunno if it's worth buying.

Hammer Bomber wrote:
• Wikipedia says Bomberman Blitz is just Bomberman DS in a downloadable and slightly reworked form

Ah.

Hammer Bomber wrote:
Summary - If you see Bomberman DS for a good price, pick it up. It supports one cart download play so is (as Bomberman always is) damn good fun with chums. Bomberman 2 is excellent, there is a copy on eBay with a seller who will post to the US, However you may deem the price to be too steep

Considering how the single player looks really dull for Bomberman DS, I doubt I'll pick it up since its sequel looks like it offers a lot from the first game's multiplayer.

Hammer Bomber wrote:
Executive summary - Get a DS flashcart and pirate Bomberman 2. I wouldn't normally condone such behaviour but it wasn't released in your region anyway so bollocks to the establishment

Nah. I'd rather import it if I can find it reasonably priced. Saw it on eBay at a good price just earlier today for example.

HienFan wrote:
Yeah Bomberman Land is not a very good long term thing. Especially the localized ones but they aren't that horrible just a poor man Mario Party.

But Bomberman DS 2 and Story are your best bet far as I know

Yet they both didn't get an American release. o_O

plasm wrote:
I concur with Hammer. Custom Battler Bomberman (Bomberman DS 2) has a great single-player mode. The battle game is probably also good, but I was never able to try it out. You can unlock maps and such throughout the game.

If I were you, I'd only pick up Bomberman DS if you want to play the battle game with friends. The single player option is just a bunch of NES-esque Bomberman maps - no traps or special features whatsoever, from what I can remember. It differs from other installments in that it brings in some enemies from Super Bomberman and maybe Super Bomberman 2 (can't remember), and the bosses are rehashes from older games like Super Bomberman 3, Bomberman '93, and maybe Bomberman '94...

I have no real opinion on Bomberman Story DS, as I've never played through the whole thing. I wasn't very impressed with what little I've played of it, but I can't really judge it.

Yeah, an NES-esque Bomberman game doesn't really seem worth playing to me. I probably would be better off getting Bomberman Blitz instead, or just get only Bomberman DS 2 if that game's multiplayer is on par or better than Bomberman DS's multiplayer.
Board Admin

Post#7  Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:49 pm  Reply with quote + 
W.A.C. wrote:
My guess is maybe Bomberman sells better in Europe? That probably would describe why games like Super Bomberman 3 and Bomberman Story DS released in Europe but not America. I don't think the series was ever very popular in the U.S. A shame too because Hudson's refusal bring certain games to America caused me to miss out on a lot of interesting Bomberman games when I was younger. D:

Probably, yeah. Although many of the games that they neglected to bring over here were rather innovative and likely could have spawned more interest (SB3 brought a lot of new features to the Battle Game, let alone the next two SFC titles).

W.A.C. wrote:
I probably would be better off getting Bomberman Blitz instead, or just get only Bomberman DS 2 if that game's multiplayer is on par or better than Bomberman DS's multiplayer.

I've never taken the time to really study these games, but I looked over them briefly to try and spot the differences.

Both DS and DS 2 have several different Battle Game modes, some which they share in common. Both allow up to eight players.

Maps that both games have:
Normal
Pipes
Conveyor Belt
Full Power
Spikes (Spike trap in floor)
Trapdoors (Warps)
Speedy (Full speed)
Inferno (No hard blocks)
Lotsa Items
Kick (Everyone gets a Kick, there are Arrow traps everywhere)
Crown Battle (Get the Crown)
Merry-Go-Crown (The Crown is on a Conveyor Belt)
Blocks (Mark territory with blasts)

Maps that DS has:
Classic (Only Bombs, Speed, Fire, and Kick items)
Voice Detonate (Remote Control bombs activated by voice)
Voice Bomb (Place bombs with your voice)
Voice Shield (Activate a Shield with your voice)
Shield
Skull (Many Skull items)
Mystery Items (All items look like the Mystery item)
Unipass (Both screens are linked with only one tunnel)
Tripass (Only three tunnels connect the screens)
See-Saw
Mini-Mini (Only one screen)
Full-Power Crown (Has Hard Blocks that don't block flames)
Kick Blocks (Has lots of Arrow traps and the Kick item)
Zombie
Bom-Bom (Has explosive traps)
Barom (Barom enemies on stage)

Maps that DS 2 has:
Mobius (Tunnels in outer walls)
Slip-Sliding (Sliding floor)
Dark Blocks (Dark version)
Stars (Collect Star items)
Dark Stars
Escape (Find the key and get to the door)
Skull Escape (The key has Skull properties)

So, DS has more maps in total, but both share a lot of similar maps, and both have maps that the other doesn't.

DS 2 does include customizable Bombermen and unlockable maps, but these are only available in the Versus mode of the Mission Game. It seems that only four players may compete in this mode, and it's likely that it requires each player to have a copy of the game.
W.A.C.
Bomberdude

Post#8  Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:00 pm  Reply with quote + 
plasm wrote:
Probably, yeah. Although many of the games that they neglected to bring over here were rather innovative and likely could have spawned more interest (SB3 brought a lot of new features to the Battle Game, let alone the next two SFC titles).

Yeah, I've noticed they tend to neglect their more innovative titles for U.S. audiences. I wonder why.

W.A.C. wrote:
I've never taken the time to really study these games, but I looked over them briefly to try and spot the differences.

Both DS and DS 2 have several different Battle Game modes, some which they share in common. Both allow up to eight players.

So, DS has more maps in total, but both share a lot of similar maps, and both have maps that the other doesn't.

DS 2 does include customizable Bombermen and unlockable maps, but these are only available in the Versus mode of the Mission Game. It seems that only four players may compete in this mode, and it's likely that it requires each player to have a copy of the game.

Hey, thanks. Do you know if Bomberman DS has any multiplayer maps not found in Bomberman Blitz?
Board Admin

Post#9  Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:16 pm  Reply with quote + 
W.A.C. wrote:
Hey, thanks. Do you know if Bomberman DS has any multiplayer maps not found in Bomberman Blitz?

I'm not entirely sure, since I've never messed with that game. The English Wikipedia article doesn't say much except that the game contains ten maps, but the Japanese Wikipedia article suggests that its ten maps are a selection from the battle maps of Custom Battler Bomberman (Bomberman 2 DS). This sounds right, since both articles also claim that it contains a tutorial for beginners, which Custom Battler/DS 2 also had.

So then, you'd probably get more content if you went with DS 2 instead of Blitz, but you'd be missing content from Bomberman DS. But again, I've never actually played Bomberman Blitz, so I'm not sure if I'm missing something.
W.A.C.
Bomberdude

Post#10  Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:58 am  Reply with quote + 
Hmm... Well, in that case, I'll definitely pick up DS 2 at some point and I'll consider getting Bomberman DS at some point depending on how much I would want to play the multiplayer.
Bomberdude

Post#11  Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:35 am  Reply with quote + 
Anyone know where I can find the UK version of Bomberman DS 2 brand new at the cheapest price? I don't like buying a game used if I can't even see a photo of it. [LINK]
Bomberstar

Post#12  Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:52 pm  Reply with quote + 
You're link looks pretty legit to me. The guy has a 100% positive feedback rating and a score over 13,000. The price is also good. His is $20 U.S. On Amazon its going for $50 right now.

If you're really worried about it you can try emailing the seller and ask to see a picture. Sometimes they'll send one for you.
W.A.C.
Bomberdude

Post#13  Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:00 pm  Reply with quote + 
With shipping fees, it would actually be $53.98 on Amazon and $27.60 on eBay. Is $27.60 still a good deal for it used or would you recommend I wait until better options appear? For all I know, this game might be getting discontinued. There aren't even very many copies being sold in the UK division of Amazon. [LINK]
Bomberstar

Post#14  Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:22 pm  Reply with quote + 
With games you never really know. Some will drop quickly some will sky rocket over time and/or get harder and harder to find at a reasonable price.

It all comes down to how much you want it and how much you're willing to spend. You sound kind of hesitant so maybe you should wait awhile and see?

If it starts creeping up then you'll have to decide if you want to jump on it. Cause if it starts going up at a slow pace it usually means it won't be dropping again. It could also skyrocket at anytime depending on availability. But with online sellers you'll occasionally get that one guy not knowing what something is worth and you can nab it for a good price, but you gotta keep your eyes peeled for those.

If you think you'll want it your best bet is to bite the bullet and get it. I know its a different market but there have been a few times I've greatly regretted picking up anime dvds when i thought they were still "a bit too expensive" and then I ended up paying over twice as much for them cause they were limited runs that went out of print.
W.A.C.
Bomberdude

Post#15  Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:40 pm  Reply with quote + 
It's largely a financial concern. I want to get a $200+ capture card at some point this year for a video game reviews series I'm working on and there isn't a 100% guarantee my mom will get me a 3DS XL for my birthday. Out of all the DS games out there, I'm probably more interested in that game over any other one out there largely because I miss playing newish Bomberman games that are good. It looks like a really fun game to me and I would love to have it, but there are other stuff I would love to have and I can't even play it until I own a 3DS XL.
Bomberstar

Post#16  Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:44 pm  Reply with quote + 
If it were me then I'd wait and see what happens with the financial situation. I'm sure the game will still be obtainable by that point and the price probably won't change too much. It's still relatively new.

I know my disposable income is very limited these days, so everything I decide to buy can have a consequence later.
W.A.C.
Bomberdude

Post#17  Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:56 pm  Reply with quote + 
I will say this though. $54 for a DS game is a total rip off no matter how good is the game. For about $55, I got 18 games at the last Steam sale. I might bite the bullet and buy it on eBay simply to avoid a possible scenario of having to pay a ridiculous fee in the future. Not to mention my decision last year to restrain from getting a shirt until my financial situation got a lot better screwed me over in the fact I can't find some shirt anywhere now. I want this damn shirt badly. Anything I try to order from Rockabilia is on back-order forever. I cancelled my order from there recently to buy that shirt from somewhere else...only to have that ordered cancelled by the distributor the next day because they were out of stock. :irritate: 

Edit-

Someone just bought the game on eBay. I was too late to decide. Welp.
Bomberdude

Post#18  Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:08 am  Reply with quote + 
Really sucks Hudson Soft never released that game in America. This eBay auction is the only seller I can find who is selling this game to Americans.
Board Admin

Post#19  Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:54 pm  Reply with quote + 
Holy shit. I mean, I understand that it's unopened, but that seems a bit unreasonable for such a recent game.
Hammer Bomber
Bomberman

Post#20  Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:22 am  Reply with quote + 
Here is another one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bomberman-2-Nintendo-DS-Game-Complete-with-Manual-VGC-1st-Rec-P-P-/390477416622?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item5aea4488ae#ht_500wt_1202

Might be worth asking if they will ship internationally but if not, i'm happy to be a middleman and send it over myself
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 3 Page: 1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.3040s
Index - Back to Top