Bomberman Community

Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
Bomberman's Head Antenna
[Replies: 10]  [Views: 4893]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General

Poll Results

Which antenna color do you prefer? (see below examples)
Always White
 62%  [ 5 ]
Body Color
 37%  [ 3 ]
Skin Color
 0%  [ 0 ]
Belt Color
 0%  [ 0 ]
Always Black
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes: 8

Razon
Board Admin

Post#1  Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:28 pm  Reply with quote + 
This has been getting debated in the chat, and we decided to make a poll to see what everyone elses opinion on the matter is.

The antenna color has been different in many games, and some games didn't even have an antenna for the bombers. Often the antenna is always white, no matter what body or skin color the bomber is. In some more recent games, it's been the same color as the body.

Always White: always white no matter the body color
Body Color: the head and normally the base body color
Skin Color: tan except when the body color is white
Belt Color: black or blue depending on the body color
Always Black: black except when the body color is white

In my opinion always white is out of place, white should only be used for white bomber as it doesn't match any of the other colors on the bomber. Body color looks a little odd on his head for more colorful body colors like red, blue, green and etc. No opinion on the belt color, and I don't think that always black matches well for other colors. What I would choose is the skin color, which I think matches the best and looks more natural and not out of place. Most all of these patterns have been used at some point throughout the bomberman series, whether in the actual game or in the official artwork.

Decide which one you think is best and place your vote, your opinion on why you think the one you chose is better than the rest- and your opinion on the others would also be helpful.

Last edited by Razon on Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:52 pm
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#2  Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:45 pm  Reply with quote + 
Huh, I never would've considered belt color.

You're right in that the white looks out of place on anyone but Shiro himself, but at the same time, I don't like any of the other choices and am not sure what I would go with. o_O Skin color just kind of makes the antenna look like a third arm on the back of the head, lol. I'd lean towards body/helmet color, since it would make sense that the antenna is an extension of the helmet.

AO3 | deviantArt | Tumblr
Bluesky | Twitter | Ko-Fi
Bombermanga | Bomber Base | B-Daman Now, Dog!

If I don't wield the bomb, I can't protect you. If I keep wielding the bomb, I can't embrace you.
View user profile Send Private Message
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#3  Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:55 pm  Reply with quote + 
Sora G. Silverwind wrote:
You're right in that the white looks out of place on anyone but Shiro himself

I thought it looked right :c
Razon
Board Admin

Post#4  Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:01 am  Reply with quote + 
Sora G. Silverwind wrote:
Skin color just kind of makes the antenna look like a third arm on the back of the head, lol. I'd lean towards body/helmet color, since it would make sense that the antenna is an extension of the helmet.

I think of the body colored head part as being an actual part of the body, instead of it being a helmet. The pink pom at the top of the antenna is also the same as bomberman's hands and feet, which are apart of his body and aren't removable. The hands and feet are both connected by skin, so I think that it makes sense that the the pom on the head would also be.

The fact that they've often used white for the antenna despite the color of the bomber, may be because of an original design mistake of not taking later added colored bombers into consideration- and then they kept using it the keep the style uniform. There isn't necessarily 1 set correct way for it to be though, as bomberman has been portrayed as more than one kind of being over the years. Such as a robot, a human and then finally as it's own separate living being- and has used varies color schemes for the antenna along the way.

It wouldn't be a surprised for bomberman to be able to make his antenna move slightly, but as the small antenna that it is it has little to no flexibility- I wouldn't think of it as a 3rd arm or leg for him to be able to use.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#5  Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:41 am  Reply with quote + 
I must abstain from voting, but here is my two cents on the matter.

On white antennae: It's like that in almost all of the artwork, and in most games in which the antenna is visible. I do agree that it doesn't really match the rest of the character's color scheme, but also, it kind of fits best in my opinion. White is pretty much the most neutral color you're going to get. The other colors stand out a lot more. Also, white is not the only color on these characters that doesn't match anything else on them. Take the belts for example.

On head-colored antennae: This makes the antenna blend in with the head, and become something that isn't distinct. I think that the differently colored antenna is something that makes a Bomberman look like a Bomberman (when the antenna is visible). Otherwise, it looks like a plastic peg sticking off of a cheap toy, or like the Bomberman is wearing some kind of knitted hood with an antenna cozy.

On fleshy antennae: This seriously just creeps me out. It looks disturbing and kind of grotesque in a way... like a weird, hairless, fleshy rod sticking out of the crown of the Bomberman's head. I don't know, man. I don't know.

On belt-colored antennae: I don't know, it's OK, I guess. This would mean that Red would have a blue antenna, Blue would have a black antenna, etc. The look doesn't really bother me, but it makes the antenna stand out more. I think that the antenna on such basic characters should be more neutral. Save the funky colors for more distinct characters.

On black antennae: Again, it doesn't really bother me, but it still sticks out (no pun intended). I guess it is more neutral than the blue that would match some Bombers' belts, but it's still not as neutral as white.
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#6  Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:03 pm  Reply with quote + 
If you want neutrality, you'd want a mid value grey wouldn't you?

From the pictures, I think I probably prefer always white. Followed probably by belt color. Body color feels like detail is removed, It would likely look way better were it the same color but a darker value. Like if red bomber's pom was maroon... and blue bombers pom was navy. As for white and black bombers pom, probably white for both of them.
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#7  Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:23 pm  Reply with quote + 
Voted for Body Color. I prefer for the antenna to be as subtle and inobstrusive as possible.
This is probably because there was a time when I thought the pink ball was directly in contact with the head (it looks like that in many, if not most, sprites) so I'm used to not noticing it.
TokiAlbatou
Bomberman

Post#8  Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:22 am  Reply with quote + 
I picked always white because I'm so used to it :B
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#9  Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:24 am  Reply with quote + 
Duke Serkol wrote:
Voted for Body Color. I prefer for the antenna to be as subtle and inobstrusive as possible.

So far it is only you... the other 4 people voted for White. It's four against one. Careful walking home late at night... we might gang up on you in a dark alley >:D
just kidding of course... or am I? :flame: 
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#10  Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:07 am  Reply with quote + 
I'd say the body color makes the most sense and seems the most natural to me, but in the end I can't say I really have a dire needed preference.

I'm surprised you guys take such notice of these little obscure things....

Actually, no....
No, I'm not surprised...

At all.

I guess you guys are getting pretty bored in that chat though, to be discussing a topic like this to such an extent? lol
Razon
Board Admin

Post#11  Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:11 pm  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
I guess you guys are getting pretty bored in that chat though, to be discussing a topic like this to such an extent? lol

That's what happens when you run out of subjects to discuss, who knows what we'll be talking about next! Though in reality it came to attention when we were discussing design elements for the head, based on the poll results it looks like just continuing to use white is the way to go. I also think that it was over-discussed in the chat for such a minor unimportant element, not to mention it probably goes unnoticed most of the time anyway.
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1713s
Index - Back to Top