Hudson Entertainment Is No More
[Replies: 15]  [Views: 5346]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General
Users watching this topic: 2  
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#1  Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:33 pm  Reply with quote + 
Maybe this was posted in the chat and I just didn't see it, but I initially found the link via the Bomberman-Lovers dA page.

IGN.com: Hudson Entertainment Is No More

Quote:
Hudson is a name that's been around gaming for nearly 30 years, crafting games in series like Bomberman and Adventure Island, amongst many, many others. But according to a blog post by Hudson Entertainment's product and brand manager Morgan Haro, Hudson Entertainment, the outfit that brought Hudson games over to the United States, is being disbanded.

The blog post attributes this to Konami's recent purchase of the Hudson Group. Haro states that "it was revealed today that all of Hudson's previously planned projects have been canceled and that [the Hudson office in San Mateo, CA] will be closing its doors at the end of February." He goes on to clarify that the Hudson Group still exists in Japan, but "will likely be focusing on social games." Presumably, anything that pertains to a Hudson license will go through Konami from here on out.

:surprise:  :stun:  :xeyes: 

AO3 | deviantArt | Tumblr
Bluesky | Twitter | Ko-Fi
Bombermanga | Bomber Base | B-Daman Now, Dog!

If I don't wield the bomb, I can't protect you. If I keep wielding the bomb, I can't embrace you.
View user profile Send Private Message
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#2  Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:56 pm  Reply with quote + 
Man, that sucks. Didn't see that one coming.

Also:

The article wrote:
"As the industry continues to march towards the drum of Western game development," Haro explains, "Hudson became for me a symbol of why Japan has fallen behind when it comes to bringing world-wide hits to gamers."

This is such bullshit. I'm incredibly sick of hearing this kind of garbage. Japanese gaming companies do not and should not have to "westernize" their products to sell. I said it before and I'll say it again; Japanese game developers need to get over their low self-esteem issue and go back to making frigging games the way they used to.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#3  Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:50 pm  Reply with quote + 
Sora G. Silverwind wrote:
it was revealed today that all of Hudson's previously planned projects have been canceled

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

No seriously, this is very depressing.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#4  Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:05 pm  Reply with quote + 
:cool:  It's cool. We're gonna be O.K. guys --

*sunglasses fall off and shatter into millions of irretrievable pieces*

:cry:  Who am I kidding ALL HOPE IS LOST.

I'm curious as to what they mean by "focusing on social games"... And why they cancelled all of their projects...

Also, the original blog post has been taken down...

According to this other article on the same subject, Konami is apparently taking over Hudson Soft. I'm not sure if I am okay with that, but I guess we'll see where this is all going.
Rapidkirby3k
Bomberbie

Post#5  Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:50 pm  Reply with quote + 
Aw man, there goes another cool gaming company. =(
Bomberman

Post#6  Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:43 am  Reply with quote + 
*goes into baaawww mode* BAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWW *cries*
darkrevan95
Bombertrainee

Post#7  Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:46 am  Reply with quote + 
Noo....
I don't believe... :cry: 
dakirbydude
Bomberman

Post#8  Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:18 pm  Reply with quote + 
I really can't believe it.... I mean it almost felt like someday this day might come, but it's too bad they're done for. Bomberman has always been one of my favorite games, and something that made me the gamer I am, but it's sad to say it's all done with now. There is still hope that more Bomberman games could come in the future, but with Konami putting their hand in things it doesn't sound like a good combination.

I got a message about this happening from JCB on my xbox earlier and I just couldn't believe what I was hearing...

On a side note, there were going to be 4 more Bomberman Live Battlefest online tournaments with a chance to earn Bomberman trophies. I'd assume the worst, but I really wish that they'd still have the rest of those for their fans so that people would have something to remember. I missed the first one and placed second in the second one and was looking for a redemption tournament... :/

As for me, I'm never going to quit playing because Bomberman is something that really changed the way I see video games and throughout the course of my life it's been my favorite game to play. Even though there's nothing new to be hopeful about, Hudson released many titles over the years and there'll still be tons to do. But I really wish it didn't have to end like this...
Razon
Board Admin

Post#9  Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:09 pm  Reply with quote + 
Here's a copy of the blog post linked to in the article, as it was taken down practically right after the official news went live about this. As well as before it was posted here.

Experience Points - Original Blog Post by Morgan Haro wrote:
Hudson Entertainment Is Closing - A Perspective

Some points of clarification. First of all, yes, the above is entirely true. Soon, or already, you’ll see the news hit the wire and probably a few gaming blogs from our PR company (the fine, and extremely professionally awesome folks at fortyseven communications) that Hudson Entertainment is shutting it’s doors. Second, let me be clear, Hudson ENTERTAINMENT. Not Hudson Soft. Hudson Soft is still a company with offices in Tokyo, Japan that will still be employing a good handful of people. Hudson Entertainment is part of Hudson Soft and we handled bringing Hudson’s games to North American territories. All major Japanese publishers have a similar set-up from Sega, to Capcom, to Konami. But as you may have seen in the news, Konami has acquired the entirety of the Hudson group, and the offices in Japan will likely be focusing on social games. This was the line that was touted in the news earlier this month. You can read it here. However, there apparently won’t be any need for the talents within the San Mateo offices of Hudson Entertainment. It was revealed today that all of Hudson's previously planned projects have been canceled and that our office will be closing it's doors at the end of February. Lastly, these are my own personal thoughts on the matter and are in no way representative of the Hudson group. I’ve known that this was a likelihood for some time now, but with the news going public in a day or so, I feel at liberty to share my thoughts on the matter more publicly since, there’s no company’s feathers left to ruffle.

I should start by saying that over the past 3 years, I have worked with one of the most talented and knowledgeable groups of people in the industry. Amar Gavhane and Mike Pepe are both extremely learned in their fields and passionate about gaming to boot. In short, they kick ass, and they taught me a ton. Since this was my first position in the gaming industry, (not counting the internship I had done with Hudson in my last year of college in 2006) I had a ton to learn, and they were absolutely crucial in my development. For that, I’ll always be grateful, whether I continue to stay in the industry, or not. Peter Dassenko was Hudson’s clutch Producer for titles like the Bomberman Live series, and was always pushing innovation and partnerships with key developers stateside. Takehito Hanyu taught me the love of learning Japanese and how to be an all around computer geek. I not only continue to learn the language, but I also have a kick ass gaming PC thanks to him. There’s so many other amazing people there, Bob Goad, Tammy Taw, Yusuke Tsugawa, Darin Dahlinger; not to mention folks I worked with who had moved on prior, Andrew Plempel, Sebastian Santacroce, Andres Perez, and many others.

But like every company, Hudson Entertainment wasn’t perfect. As the industry continues to march towards the drum of Western game development, Hudson became for me, a symbol of why Japan has fallen behind when it comes to bringing world-wide hits to gamers. The act of producing and developing a game in Japan, and then bringing that game over to the US to compete in an increasingly competitive market is more and more, and incredibly tough proposition. A challenge in itself to be sure, but to compound the issue, minimal communication and stifled collaboration seems to be hampering the chances of success. In previous generations, developers only had so many factors to worry about to produce a title that meets a general level of acceptance. But as we, as gamers, became more accustomed to games that demanded not only more from the player, and in turn, more from the developer, many companies seem to be having a hard time keeping up.

From the Wii generation on, we had success with the first Deca Sports due to its ability to fill a hole in the then hot ‘omg it’s like Wii Sports’ category, but we failed to innovate when it came to the sequel, and the sequel’s sequel. Meanwhile, there were countless missed collaboration opportunities between the US and Japan. But it wasn't just with Deca Sports. By the time we had received the game design document for any given title, development was more than likely well underway, usually past the point of the dev team able to make any major changes. Usually, a green-lit concept would have some redeeming ideas, but from my perspective, there were countless opportunities our titles weren’t taking advantage of. Numerous trends to not only watch out for and adapt to, but possibly start as well. It was only at the start of 2011 did an air of change come to that communication process. But it appears it was too late.

At the end of the day though, and this is no secret, game development is a business. And Hudson has certainly done it’s best to keep on top of the heap. We made games. Some quick cash-ins like Oops! Prank Party, others more innovative like Bomberman: Live on XBLA and Lost In Shadow on Wii. Communication problems aside, there was also that little issue of money. And while Hudson has been around for years, it’s clear that we didn’t have the money muscle to bring on big talent, and create big experiences. In this current landscape, it’s tough now to have companies that find a place somewhere right in the middle. You’re either a hit, or an indie developer looking to be a hit.

A special note goes to the fans demanding a return of the Bloody Roar series. It was something I personally pushed for in the company, despite the crowded fighting game market. With digital distribution channels like XBLA and PSN, I felt there was a chance, if done right, to re-invigorate the series. There were some game design documents sent around internally of some spin-offs of the series, but it didn’t seem like it was the right direction. There was a chance for something to happen late 2011, early 2012; but clearly, we won’t see what was to be. To the Bloody Roar fans out there, I read every single one of your messages, petitions, and calls for the series to be brought back. You guys are awesome, and perhaps some day, a developer and a publisher will pick it up, and do it justice. Until then, just know, you guys rock.

All together, the key to better success for Hudson needed to be grounded in higher communication and collaboration on a game's development from beginning to end. I could go more into detail about specific points for specific games, but speaking from a general level; bring the development out from isolation and use the creative resources we had here stateside to engage in a more collaborative development process. We have so many fun titles that could have benefited from our collective passion. So many franchises that we could have created and improved upon to make gamers sit up and pay attention. In fact, it was an initiative I had wanted to see through by going to the corporate office in Japan with the above mission in mind. But without taking measurable steps to bridge the culture, communication, and collaboration gap, we end up swimming in our own kiddie pool, watching the cool kids rush through the awesome waterslides on the other side of the fence.

But at the end of the day, I have respect for Hudson’s goals, and I’m proud to have been a part of it. I remember playing Bomberman and Milon’s Secret Castle as a kid. I remember the thrill of getting the internship there. Going to my first E3 in 2006 and knowing that this was the industry I was meant for. Meeting members of the press of who’s work I had always read, the friends I made, the friend I lost, working on my first website, working on my first marketing plan, going to SD Comic Con, NY Comic Con, PAX, interacting with big-time Hudson fans and the gaming community at shows, on our forums, on Twitter, Facebook; I'll never forget it. For all the flaws that Hudson Entertainment as a company had, our team never lost the love of the game, of the industry, and for everything that gaming culture represents. It’s who we are, and what we do. Let’s hope it stays that way.

So what will become of Hudson Entertainment now? It’s strange to think about all these web presences I carved out, all these social media initiatives I planned that were meant to continue to breathe life into our titles far past release. Brand plans created for titles that will never ship, or if they do, I’ll have nothing to do with them. www.hudsonent.com underwent a huge redesign last year, and now, I’m sure that domain will be shut down within a month or so. All the plans I had laid for our titles in 2011, will cease to exist. As usual, I was going to be tasked with the development of all the microsites and social media planning for the year, as well as handle the brand management for a handful of titles on 3DS, Kinect, and the NGP. And there were some really amazing cool ideas on the table on how we were going to push the envelope in those departments, including integrating some really awesome initiatives with social media as the platform. But what’s great is that I can take all that same creative energy that went into those ideas, and bring it to another wonderful company, or perhaps one day, a company of my own.

So without further ado: WHO’S HIRING?

I doubt that this will be the end of the Bomberman franchise, it's merely been mentioned about how the JP company that produces them will likely be focusing on social or casual games. Whether bomberman games are considered under that or not, it doesn't mean that they wouldn't be making other games besides those on the side.

It wouldn't make much sense to acquire a company and then toss away every game franchise that they have, never using any of them again. Bomberman games have been around for nearly 3 decades now, and have been on practically every console and handheld to date.

The company Hudson Entertainment was formed in 2003, they were used for publishing games in the North American region for the main Japanese company Hudson Soft who created the games. Even before then and during the time that they were around, there were Bomberman games published through other companies, which includes Konami.

Hudson entertainment was not listed as a publisher for Bomberman 3DS, so I'm assuming that we'll there's still going to be a state side release for it. The european region however still doesn't have any release scheduled for the game, at least at the time being anyway.

How Konami taking over Hudson will change or benefit the series in the long run, we'll just have to wait and find out. Though Hudson seemed like they were getting back on track with Bomberman 3DS, and I hope that this doesn't put an end to such progress or original attempts like they tried with BOJ. Also hope that the Mario Party series will still be continued, we've yet to get one of those with online play.

For me, Bomberman will remain as a favorite and as one of the best multiplayer games to this day.
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#10  Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:39 pm  Reply with quote + 
Razon, thanks for tracking down the original post by Haro. I was gonna search it out later, but now that's one less thing for me to do. You're right that we'll just have to wait and see how Konami is going to be handling the Bomberman franchise, and in the meantime we've still got the oldies and goodies.

AO3 | deviantArt | Tumblr
Bluesky | Twitter | Ko-Fi
Bombermanga | Bomber Base | B-Daman Now, Dog!

If I don't wield the bomb, I can't protect you. If I keep wielding the bomb, I can't embrace you.
dakirbydude
Bomberman

Post#11  Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:02 pm  Reply with quote + 
Well I really hope Konami keeps things going strong... From what I've seemed to get from everything it sounds like they want them to make more casual type games probably for the Wii.

But do you think Bomberman 3DS really has a shot to still come out? I kind of lost hope on that right when I heard the news, but the release of Bomberman 3DS would be a great thing for sure... It seemed like they were headed in the right direction...
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#12  Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:49 pm  Reply with quote + 
I dunno, i can't say I'm a big fan of Konami anymore but it probably won't affect future bomberman titles much. It's not like Bomberman's current status can really get much worse. The games are all very similar anyway in recent years. none of them really try to push the story aspect well. So you'll just see more multiplayer features and such. Story mode ~if included~ will probably be very generic.

I think I'm done with following videogames. Probably be a few more niche titles I'll pick up in the coming years but other then that there's just so much older stuff I can get and work on that I think I'm set for life. especially with Anime being my primary interest now, I haven't been playing games as much in recent years.

Almost everything I hear about the game industry the past couple years is just sickening to me, so I've given up. I'm not saying this was the last straw, I've already felt this way for awhile now. This news doesn't really disturb me much if at all.

I just feel bad for these guys losing their jobs. Doesn't sound like the gaming industry is the place to be working now. Especially for people that truly love videogames. everything coming out follows generic boring patterns and all the companies focus on targeting that casual audience.

I hate to be so negative all the time but, the era of gamers is just about over guys. I think we need to let it go and figure out what we're going to do. There will be some neat things for us here and there in the future but its gonna be a meager serving.
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#13  Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:47 pm  Reply with quote + 
To be honest I can't say I truly care as much either. Or at least, the news didn't effect me at all. I don't really know much about Hudson or Konami anyways, I only played Bomberman/Metal Gear from them.

And Regulus, that's kinda why I don't play the newer games. That's why I'm still on my Gamecube XP

But there is one thing you should know, and that is that things can still change. I'm not talking about current gaming companies, I'm talking more about a new gaming company entirely. Perhaps some of these disappointed gamers will desire to make a game that is a not a complete let down and form together. Who knows.

Maybe I'm thinking too much from a standing point somewhere on the WftO Project I'm in. Since we can't make money due to not having copyright licence for Dungeon Keeper or whatever, our only focus (Wouldn't have been money to begin with) is making a good game. I suppose that's what went wrong with many gaming companies today, too much focus on money.
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#14  Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:55 pm  Reply with quote + 
DarkFire4114 wrote:
I suppose that's what went wrong with many gaming companies today, too much focus on money.

Too much focus on money is also why the video game market crashed back in the day, and may crash again in the near future. It's a problem everywhere in life, and has always been, too much focus on money dilutes the industries where people need skill and love with people who are barely competent and don't care but just want a big paycheck to spend.
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#15  Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:46 pm  Reply with quote + 
There was a Hudson branch outside of Japan? I'd assumed that would have been ingested by Konami as soon as they'd bought the parent company.

Either way, I suspect it won't make much of a difference whether the games are localized by an Hudson subsidiary or Konami.
Rather I'm worried about this social games focus thingy. Like there's not enough Land games already.
DragonBomber
Bomberman

Post#16  Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:03 pm  Reply with quote + 
The thing that caught me off guard was the sudden-ness of it, from my under-a-rock perspective. I would get messages from one of their employees on Facebook often enough, given the past story they did on the collections Paul and I had then, more bits now though not as many as I'd like if I stopped getting as much instrument/music gear since then. ;) They really tried to do some interesting things, and still keep a bit of the flow going as far as their Facebook presence goes, but the loss of their website potential/limited forum there is a bit sad. I still held the hope I would get to drive around demoing new games for them someday during regular time off from my day job, but alas, that never had a chance to bloom since they were West coast and I am too far off. I really wanted to have made some of their events out there, or just visit the offices and get a bit of the Hudson magic first hand.

To give them credit, the markets have just changed so much. They really tried to ride the waves well, getting into the mobile ringtone side of things, mobile games, and the downloadable content that a lot of the population wants. Sure, most of us, or collectors in general still want physical optical media, if not carts, but the reality is even the collectors I know are unloading the older media in droves. I see them go from massive rooms of stuff, to those powerpacks, emulation, and other options, all for the sake of the trouble it takes to store it all, they never use it, and the money comes in handy. Just my experience with the collector's community. You have new blood buying up the old stock, but they do not seem to have as much of the energy of the old guard.

I do not know where Hudson Entertainment could have gone focus wise to really keep their own independent face of the larger merged entity going here. Not with the transition to mobile games like all the iOS content they have now, the Xbox 360/PS3/Wii apps, and so forth. Converting older titles to our region would have still found digital distribution their home, rather than physical media, and it may have killed them even sooner budget wise. New games would have been fraught with issues between demographic needs. Some of the buyers pushing the design to more contemporary areas seen in the other games, and some of the others like myself begging for something closer to what we had on older consoles. No one would have been happy enough to see sales surge beyond what we can expect, and saw with the downloadable games. The new properties they pushed were interesting and fun, but they did not have enough draw and innovation to drive a whole market swing toward Hudson's content over new indie developers and other standouts who made a dent in the pre-order wakes. It seemed to be too little too late.

I will always support them and be a fan, but the changes needed to stay current and outselling the other guys might well prove too much for them in the long run. Some fun new games and the full body of past awesome, but nothing jaw-dropping to a big enough section of the game-buying population to make them truly viable commercially as a power player in the industry. :( Makes me sad to see that too. I cannot say that Hudson Soft or Konami was ever the most potent developer but they put out a LOT of games over the years, with a lot of popular franchises between them. Hudson continually developed software that sold units, even when it was made using other peoples' IP characters, good example being the Mario Party franchise. Have to wait and see where the merged entity goes in the next decade. :)
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2274s
Index - Back to Top