Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Page: 1, 2  Next
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General

Vent
Bomberdude

Post#1  Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:16 pm  Reply with quote + 
Or not. Planet Virtual Boy got to it before us:

http://www.planetvb.com/modules/games/?u022g

Read the description and look at all the available images. According to these, the unreleased Virtual Bomberman might've actually been the prototype version of Bomberman World! All of the armor characters are present and Bomberman is seen holding a blue crystal.

Any body with translating prowess care to identify what it says on the flyers?
View user profile Send Private Message
Bomberman3022
Board Moderator

Post#2  Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:45 pm  Reply with quote + 
just looking at the images gives me a flash back of all the headaches i once had playing that stupid thing
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#3  Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:02 am  Reply with quote + 
Wow, interesting find!

It's kind of strange that the game looks like it isn't really isometric like Bomberman World... even though it's for the "Virtual Boy". But it does look like they had gotten pretty far into development there... I doubt anyone will ever see any more than those screenshots, though.

I don't know that I have time to translate very much of this right now, but the villain appears to be "God Bomber" (ゴッドボンバ-).
Vent
Bomberdude

Post#4  Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:35 pm  Reply with quote + 
I wonder if he wound up getting conceptually replaced by the Dark Force Bombers, Devil Bomber or Chaos Bomber. There's only so many ways to do evil Bombermen.

Bomberman3022 wrote:
just looking at the images gives me a flash back of all the headaches i once had playing that stupid thing

Screw you, the Virtual Boy rocked the heavens.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#5  Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:55 pm  Reply with quote + 
Man-Frog wrote:
Bomberman3022 wrote:

Screw you, the Virtual Boy rocked the heavens.

lolwut? :surprise: 

In all fairness, I only used a Virtual Boy probably twice in my whole life and even I remember it being rather uncomfortable to use and it just felt and looked clunky. I can kind of see how that would get someone a headache.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
Vent
Bomberdude

Post#6  Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:50 pm  Reply with quote + 
It's amazing piece of machinery. The red-and-black graphics are trippy as hell. If you get a headache, do what the instructions say and endable auto-pause every 15 minutes to take a break.

So er....how 'bout that Virtual Bomberman?
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#7  Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:15 pm  Reply with quote + 
I doubt he has anything to do with the Dark Force Bombers or Chaos Bomber, but Devil Bomber could possibly have been derived from him. We don't really know anything about him, except perhaps what the story text says in this flyer.

He looks a lot like Great Bomber, though, which could possibly have been a reason that he wasn't kept with the rest of the game's elements?

Although you're right about Bomberman holding up that crystal, that may have been a precursor to the crystal-sealing stuff in Bomberman World, if it's supposed to work in this game in the same way that we assume it would. The fact that the "armors" are all almost exactly like they are in Bomberman World and the existence of a "Challenge Mode" suggests that much of the content for this game was recycled, though why it took three more years to do so is uncertain.
Ragey
Board Admin

Post#8  Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:04 pm  Reply with quote + 
Awesome find! Seeing the development of a game is one of those things that always interests me, betas especially, so seeing what's effectively the roots of Bomberman World is brilliant. I ran some bits of the flyer through SmartOCR, but it seems to get hung up on italics so it couldn't recognise a lot. I did grab the dolphin's text, if that means anything.
Quote:
ステーヅ2
リック
特殊能カ
タッシュ:高速移動できる障富物に当たるまで止まれない。
溜めダッシュ:ダッシュより高速に移動し、ソフトブロックを破壊することができる。
It's called Rick (same as in World) and has a dashing ability. Anyone have any idea what "sute-zu" means, or have I just transcribed that wrong?

I really need to get some Bomberman World coverage so I can compare things better, but that screenshot of the forest level with the bridge seems very familiar, I'd almost dare say it's a close approximation of level 1-3 in World, though I'd need to actually check it out for myself to verify.
Also, man, aside from Planet Virtual Boy there's just about no info on this thing on the whole friggin' internet. A Japanese fansite mentions it briefly (the main info page on Planet VB looks to have just translated this info, or maybe vice versa) and a blog tells me it was covered in Issue 25 of Famicom Journal way back in 1995. Yeah, fat chance of us ever getting our hands on that. I might ask around at Lost Levels if anyone has that, as I'm aware of a few people there who have small collections of old Japanese gaming magazines, though I can't imagine there being much luck.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#9  Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:29 pm  Reply with quote + 
Ragey wrote:
Anyone have any idea what "sute-zu" means, or have I just transcribed that wrong?

It's transcribed wrong; it's ステージ (sute-ji or "stage") not ステーヅ. So it's telling what stage (presumably what "world") you get each of these "armors" in.

It would be interesting to see that article you're referring to, if we ever got the chance.
Bomberman3022
Board Moderator

Post#10  Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:42 am  Reply with quote + 
Man-Frog wrote:
do what the instructions say and endable auto-pause every 15 minutes to take a break.

I couldnt play more than like 5 mins
Vent
Bomberdude

Post#11  Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:24 pm  Reply with quote + 
Well then....tough nipples. Either way this isn't a topic for discussing your opinion on the Virtual Boy. It's about a canned Bomberman game.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#12  Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:02 pm  Reply with quote + 
Hahahah, you guys are too much. :hilarious: 

I've never played an actual Virtual Boy so I can't legitimately argue either way.

But yes, Virtual Bomberman. Still very interesting. It's not every day that we get this kind of info about the Bomberman series.
Bomberman3022
Board Moderator

Post#13  Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:43 pm  Reply with quote + 
Man-Frog wrote:
Well then....tough nipples. Either way this isn't a topic for discussing your opinion on the Virtual Boy. It's about a canned Bomberman game.

Whoa! Hold on i think i have to throw the ADMIN card down :wink:  nothing wrong with other peoples opinion on something no need for that we have such a small community here we do go off topic sometimes

...welcome to the board by the way
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#14  Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:37 pm  Reply with quote + 
Bomberman3022 wrote:
Whoa! Hold on i think i have to throw the ADMIN card down :wink: 

THE ADMIN CARD

IT HAS BEEN THROWN DOWN :stun: 
Ragey
Board Admin

Post#15  Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:20 pm  Reply with quote + 
GENTLEMEN PLEASE THIS IS SUCH LOWER CLASS BEHAVIOUR YOU ARE DISPLAYING

I've been trying to grab more text from the flyer, but not having much luck; SmartOCR gets hung up on kanji, italics, and even images with too much contrast. A lot of the automatic translations are essentially incomprehensible garbage, so although I've gotten the story text, my head's too wrecked to make sense of it.
Quote:
ゴツドボンバーとは何者!
ストーリー
前作でボンバー星雲を救い、束の間の休息をとろうとしていたボンハーマン。しかし、その願いも空しく、俄に出現した謎の戦士ゴットボンバー。敵か味方か? 究極の機獣神を従えて戦いを挑むゴッドボンバーではあったが、その瞳はひどく悲しいほど深く,そして何故だかとても澄んでいた。いくつかの謎を残こしながらも今、またもや戦いの火ぶたは切って落とされた。
I've no doubt transcribed a few of the letters wrong, so I might have to rely on Zaphe to clean up my garbage. The very first sentence is meant to have some stuff before it, but SmartOCR couldn't pick it up.
What little other stuff I've found is here, just so I don't bog the thread down with untranslated Japanese that hasn't been thoroughly looked over yet.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#16  Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:48 pm  Reply with quote + 
Hahahahahah! I wondered when you'd get a chance to use that dapper gentle[Bomber]man emote. :hilarious: 

Fortunately I already transcribed everything leading up to the first comma.

But man, no errors in that text. Makes my job a lot easier! :peace: 

There was one error, in the name "ゴッドボンバー", but it was a misspelling from the original text on the flyer (it was misspelled as "ゴットボンバー" on the second line of the body).

Quote:
突如現われた
ゴッドボンバーとは何者!

ストーリー

前作でボンバー星雲を救い、束の間の休息をとろうと
していたボンハーマン。しかし、その願いも空しく、
俄に出現した謎の戦士ゴットボンバー。敵か味方か?
究極の機獣神を従えて戦いを挑むゴッドボンバーでは
あったが、その瞳はひどく悲しいほど深く,そして何故だかとて
も澄んでいた。いくつかの謎を残こしながらも今、またもや戦い
の火ぶたは切って落とされた。

Quote:
Who is this God Bomber that suddenly appears!

-- Story --

After Bomber Nebula was saved in the previous production, Bomberman has taken a brief rest. However, the mysterious warrior God Bomber suddenly appears. Is he an enemy or a friend? The ultimate beast machine god God Bomber offers a challenge, but with a terribly deep sadness in his eyes, and it is not clear why. While mysteries remain, now, again, a battle begins.

There were several parts that I wasn't sure of, namely the last two sentences.

Also, I think I'm going to start doing your thing of quoting these passages. It's kind of cleaner.
Vent
Bomberdude

Post#17  Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:44 am  Reply with quote + 
His personality sounds like Sirius. You don't suppose part of Virtual Bomberman was recycled for Bomberman 64 do you?
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#18  Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:55 am  Reply with quote + 
That's a possibility... It certainly does sound like the whole "friend or foe" thing Sirius had, even having the statement "Is he an enemy or a friend" (and with the first Sirius fight being titled "Friend or Foe?"...). Except he seems more like the opposite of Sirius - while Sirius helps Bomberman and then turns out to be evil, this guy is challenging Bomberman but seems like he could be good.

With the Bomberman World elements in here, anything could have probably been recycled. Good to know that Hudson doesn't just trash things when a game gets cancelled.
Bomberman3022
Board Moderator

Post#19  Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:18 am  Reply with quote + 
Dark Zaphe wrote:
Bomberman3022 wrote:
Whoa! Hold on i think i have to throw the ADMIN card down :wink: 

THE ADMIN CARD

IT HAS BEEN THROWN DOWN :stun: 

u just made my night thank you lol
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#20  Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:34 am  Reply with quote + 
Sadly that's not a magic card so I can't make a joke about it not fitting into my fire deck.
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 2 Page: 1, 2  Next

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2077s
Index - Back to Top