A List Gallery of other Unpopular Franchises in the States
[Replies: 20]  [Views: 10443]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Page: 1, 2  Next
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General

ChronoBall X
Bomberdude

Post#1  Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:13 am  Reply with quote + 
I was Bored, So I decided to Cook up this Topic to Bring some Excitement to this Forum. but anyway on to the Topic, Over the Years, there have been some other Awsome Franchises which Have suffered Such Unpopularity here in the U.S like Bomberman Has. these Examples include

The Y'S series- a Series of of Action RPG's Focusing on a red Head swordsman named Adol Christian. these are some very fun Action RPGs, but reasons why these games are so unpopular here are unknown, but i think it's because the early Y'S games seemed pretty difficult because of the weird way you has to crosscut attack enemies.

Nekketsu Kunio Kun Series- This SD-Style Series of Double Dragon-like games by Technos featured Cartoony SD characters Brawling beating the Crap out of Each other, Most of you may be Familar with River City Ranson which is one of the Kunio Kun games, only a few of them were released here in the states under different names. in japan, River city Ranson was known as Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari

Ultimate Muscle- Although this Anime Franchise ended up being more popular in America than Japan,but however, this Anime franchise still suffers unpopulariety here. 4Kids only licensed the second series Kinnikuman nesei and not the 80's version. Bandai previously brought the Rubber action figures here in America under the name M.U.S.C.L.E based on the 80's Kinnikuman anime. Sadly, this franchise could'nt compete with the Ranks of DBZ,Naruto,Onepiece or Bleach.

Mugen Senshi Valis Series- A short lived Series of castlevania-like games About a Team of Female Warriors battleing demons from the Dark World to Keep the Dream World Safe, this series was thought to be dead forever untile it was revived and ruined with a Stupid Recent Hentai Version of it.

[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][url][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][/url]
View user profile Send Private Message
Glair Bomber
Bomberdude

Post#2  Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:19 pm  Reply with quote + 
Hey, I remember watching Ultimate Muscle on the FoxBox! Oh, 4Kids, you silly silly anime-manglers you.

Anyways. Off the top of my head, I can think of two anime series that haven't gotten much publicity in the states:

X/1999

X/1999 is, in short, about the end of the world. I watched this series a while ago, so let's see what else I can remember. There are pretty much two sides; the dragons of heaven and the dragons of earth. The dragons of heaven and earth must fight each other for the outcome of the world. Heaven fights so that humanity will be saved, while Earth wants all humanity destroyed so the earth can regrow and heal all the damage that had been done to it. Er, well, it's a lot better than it sounds, trust me. xD This series was actually done by the popular CLAMP, so I'm surprised all the so-called "CLAMP fans" have never heard of it.

Last Exile

Er, well, I'm not sure if Last Exile would really count, but I think it does since everyone I've talked to never even heard of it. :cry:  Basically, vanship delivery pilots Clause and Lavvey screw up on one of their deliveries, and end up becoming part of a huge war. Again, I suck at summaries, and this series is a lot better than how it sounds. xD

Hero the level 43 Meowth!
Omata
Bomberdude

Post#3  Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:28 pm  Reply with quote + 
There's also:

SD The Great Battle
Live A Live (Only one game, but it's damn good)
Monster Rancher
Phantom Kensai
Bomberbie

Post#4  Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:43 pm  Reply with quote + 
The Ogre Battle saga.

To date, the series consists of five games. In chronological order, they are:

Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis (GBA)
Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen (SNES, later ported to PS1)
Ogre Battle Gaiden: Prince of Zenobia (Japan-only, a Neo-Geo game)
Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber (N64)
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (SNES Japan-only, later translated and ported to PS1)

I myself have only played both Tactics Ogre games and a little bit of March of the Black Queen. The Tactics games differ greatly from the others in that it's a tactical RPG, unlike the others which are strategy. However, I think the story of Tactics Ogre is far better than its spiritual sequel, Final Fantasy Tactics (though FFT has vastly superior gameplay).
Angelus
Bomberdude

Post#5  Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:49 am  Reply with quote + 
ChronoballX, you have about 10 visible end tags in your post. Just thought you'd like to know.

Mother. We all know it as Earthbound. It seems to be popular, but obviousle not popular enough to bring it's sequals and perquals top the US.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#6  Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:05 pm  Reply with quote + 
Let's see what I know about this stuff....

I love Ys. I have the Ys Legacy anime which covers the first 2 games. I've also just about finished playing through Ys III: Wanderers from Ys which is a grewat game. I love its soundtrack. I also have a copy of Ark on my PS2 but I haven't played it yet, though it looks incredably good.

River city ransom huh......
http://www.mega64.com/rcr.htm You might appreciate this then. hehe

While I'm at it I may as well post the Metal Gear video...
http://www.mega64.com/mgs.htm

I've heard of Ultimate muscle but I'm not interested in it...

I've dabbled in Valis a bit. I beleive it was mentioned by Kuttlas before. I've only played the roms but they're pretty fun.

I beleive my cousin has the X anime. I'm not sure if he's watched it all yet. I have a mixed opinion on CLAMP. Sometimes i like their stuff and sometimes I don't.

I've had interest in the tactics Ogre games too. I played through Final Fantasy Tactics and wanted to try out the Ogre games. The PS1 game Tactics Ogre is quite difficult to get your hands on. I have the GBA game but I haven't played it too much.

The last thing I'll mention is Earthbound. I rented it once a long time ago and I really didn't like it. I don't see what people see in it. To each their own though right?
ChronoBall X
Bomberdude

Post#7  Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:53 pm  Reply with quote + 
Although I've Already Mentioned this in one of my Previouse Threads

Ganbare Goemon games are'nt Popular here either, Despite the Fact ADV films took interest in licensing the ANime Version, only 4 Games were released here.

One of the Main Reasons why Goemon is So unpopular here (I got this Info from a Classicgaming Hardcore 101 site), is because not many people would have been able to understand it;s weird style japanese humor.

I mean, how many animes have you ever seen with giant Super Robots in Feudal Japan?

Can you imagine Inuyasha pioleting a Super Robot???

Also, The Super Robot Wars Tatical Games are;nt popular here either, I think only one game was released here in the states for GBA. the Super Robot Wars games featured characters from different Mecha animes such as Gundam, Magzinger Z,ect, battling it out on tatical fields with Chibi Versions of they're Mechs.

Also, I Think that One of of most Notible Reasons why Ultimate Muscle is'nt Popular because for one thing, UM is'nt really a type of anime that can compete with the Bigger Fighting,Sci-fi,Swordsplay,Fantasy anime, because when it comes to hardcore anime fans, people perfer plots about Ninjas,Swordsmen( Y'S for example),and Pirates, rather than a Sports plot about Wrestling,Tennis or Football.
Phantom Kensai
Bomberbie

Post#8  Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:50 pm  Reply with quote + 
I think the real reason Super Robot Wars hasn't gotten released here yet is because of licensing costs. Just how many different franchises does it draw its robots from...?

Quote:
I've had interest in the tactics Ogre games too. I played through Final Fantasy Tactics and wanted to try out the Ogre games. The PS1 game Tactics Ogre is quite difficult to get your hands on. I have the GBA game but I haven't played it too much.

Yes, indeed; Let Us Cling Together is $80 even on Half.com. Good luck finding it; I heard Atlas only shipped 5000 copies to America. But like I said, I like its story much more than FFT.

When I was playing through the GBA game, I found it to be vastly inferior to its PS1 counterpart, gameplay and story-wise. However, once I saw the A Ending and its totally-out-of-left-field plot twist, it really helped redeem the game.
Omata
Bomberdude

Post#9  Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:19 am  Reply with quote + 
Gah, Ganbare Goemon. How could I forget?

Terranigma's a pretty unpopular game...
Bonk
Bomberdude

Post#10  Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:44 am  Reply with quote + 
If this was a normal (see pretentious) forum where every post has to be an essay and you run the risk of starting a flamewar with each action I would say "In before some fruitcake mentions Ico/Shadow of the Colossus/some other mainstream game that gets shoved down our throats by indie gaming *beep*s every day yet they still seem to think it's underappreciated" but I think we have better taste than that here hm?

The top 10 list of underrated games by me

10. Ratchet & Clank: These games got excellent reviews and sold enough to make GH, but that still doesn't do this series justice. The first one got 8/10 reviews which is a disgrace: I wrote a letter to each gaming review publication at fault demanding they commit ritual seppuku.

9. Lords of Thunder: My favorite sidescrolling shooter (hell, my favorite shooter period) and it's on the SEGA CD for god's sake, could you possibly do anything more to doom your game to obscurity? Don't let some treasure fanboy trick you into thinking it isn't the greatest thing to happen to shoters since space invaders. It's made by hudson so that should further entice all of you bomberman fanboys. Only reason this isn't that high in the list is because ALOT of people have heard of it (but only because of its gulty gearesque rockin' soundtrack).

8. Psychonauts: this game sold horribly despite being sold on multiple platforms. I picked it up thinking it would be a mediocre platoformer, to my delight it turned out to be excellent. It's very simple, like Super Mario 64, with weaker level design (Blackvelvetopia is a throwaway stage, I don't want that in my PS2) and buckets of personality. I didn't know who Tim Schafer was (I haven't played DotT since 1997) but when I found out I thought "No wonder this game is so awesome, that dude who made Day of the Tentacle thought of it". I await the sequel.

7. Beyond Good & Evil: This one was advertised pretty heavily and got some really good reviews, yet somehow didn't do to well. It's a 9ish game but you can tell there was supposed to be a sequel by the cliffhanger ending (and because I've seen a few sequels in my day). The sequel would have been excellent, too bad it will never hapen. And if anyone gets the joke in the parenthesis I'll give you an internet.

6. Bio-Hazard Battle: An excellent side scrolling shooter from sega. I downloaded it from an emulation site and when I looked at the screenshots, I thought WTF this looks like crap, but I was suprised once again to find it was an excellent little gem with a genius soundtrack. I think it's caled Crying in moonland.

5. Rising Zan: Samurai Gunman: (shakes fist) kids these days seem to think that Devil May Cry was the game to reinvent the action genre...sort of like they seem to think that JSR was the first game to use cel-shading. This game has everything a perfect video game should have. It's so manly it makes babies grow beards. The sad thing is this game only cost me $3 and I got it with lunch money. I demanded to pay more for this masterpiece once I played it: I stormed back into my local evil corporate gaming store and promptly threw down a thick stack of 100 dollar bills onto the counter.

4. The Guardian Legend: I got it somewhat recently at a local store that inexpicably sells NES games. It's kind of like zelda combined with a traditional vertical shooter. The flying stages are extremely hard. Since you can easily download it and play it on your PC I don't think it's necessary to go into too much detail.

3. MUSHA: My favorite Genesis shooter. I can't realy say much about it other than go play it now. This game features awesome flying robots.

2. Kickle Cubicle: I grew up with this game so I may be a little biased (in the sense that Playstation magazine might be biased), but I have to say this is is one of the most unduly ignored games in all of history. It's unlike anything else, so I can't really give it a genre. It reminds me of a combination of tetris, zelda, and bubble bobble. I have never seen an online fanbase for this game and I think I might be the only fan in za warudo. Be warned this game suffers from Mr. Driller syndrome.

1. And the most underrated game of al time is...(Spoiler, highlight to read)

Final Fantasy VII. Surely you haven't heard of this game and its name means nothing to you, but to those of us in the upper echelons of gaming cuture with knowledge of the utmost obscure of videogaming history, the name will bring a tear to our eye, nostalgia to our hearts and make us weak in the knees. This is the story of a masculine and totally not gay well-designed hero named Squloudaneitus, and his fight against his retarded half-brother Kujeymoureiferoth. Who can forget the totally not obvious plot twist of the death of the beautiful and totally not stereotypically generic love interest Yunaerinoarnet? Who could hold their bladder after hearing the epic and totally not generic john williams duel of the fates bullshit final battle music? Who could help but laugh triumphantly "HA! I HAVE SLAIN THEE VILE FIEND" when Tidanelouduall made his triumphant victory over Sefujaifermour with a final blow of the awesome Omnislash? Who could supress a squeal like a pig being slaughtered with a baseball bat after the massive earth shattering plot twist revealed half way through the game, no epic historical electronic literature? Not I, good sir, surely not I. I have given you the gift of knowledge, now drink of its sweet nectar my sons. Go forth and play this hidden gem and add yourself to the ranks of the gaming elite.

Suggestion to admin: we need spoiler tags.

Honorable mention: Monster Party. Yes its the butt of alot of jokes on many independent game sites but what they forgot to say is that this is actually a good game, and the added hilarity of its bosses makes this sort of like the Psychonauts of the NES. Almost.

Another game I think is pretty good but unheard of is the NES shooter Over Horizon but I haven't gotten very far in it so I think it's a little premature to judge.

Already been mentioned is the Valis series, adding my 2 internets to the big purple top hat of valis lovin'.

I've been meaning to play the Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre series since I loved FFT but you know, serious business, grave matters of pressing importance these internets are.
Phantom Kensai wrote:
I think the real reason Super Robot Wars hasn't gotten released here yet is because of licensing costs. Just how many different franchises does it draw its robots from...
Wouldn't be more likely that it's because it's a fanservice game for a bunch of animes that for the most part never made it stateside?

Last edited by Bonk on Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:11 am
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#11  Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:46 pm  Reply with quote + 
Ys is an awesome series. Why it's unpopular here is beyond me. I believe it's worth mention that while I was playing it, my two younger cousins watched and the youngest dared saying "This looks boring." I swear, that kid wouldn't what boring was, even if it went up and bit him in the foot. All he ever plays are tactical RPGs or RPGs (why he even plays them is beyond me, the kid probably could bearly read, so he wouldn understand very little of the storyline, if any at all, but anyway...). I've only played through ark of napishtim, but I did play Ys III which was also pretty good.

I never really liked Earthbound. Of course, I was only like five when my bro rented it, but it looked like quite a silly game (I mean, a dog joined your party, WTF?) I don't see what great about it, but I should give it a shot, seeing how I didn't even play the game, plus only being five then didn't help ethier...

River City Ransom... that games looks silly, but it has "BARF!", so that makes it cool.

I know someonew on a different forum who loves Super Robot Wars. It sounds fun, but I never played it, so yeah.

Wasn't Ganbare Goemon made by Konami? It looks interesting, but as far as I know, there only one game in america, being on N64.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
ChronoBall X
Bomberdude

Post#12  Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:23 pm  Reply with quote + 
SSJ-Sonic 254 wrote:
Ys is an awesome series. Why it's unpopular here is beyond me. I believe it's worth mention that while I was playing it, my two younger cousins watched and the youngest dared saying "This looks boring." I swear, that kid wouldn't what boring was, even if it went up and bit him in the foot. All he ever plays are tactical RPGs or RPGs (why he even plays them is beyond me, the kid probably could bearly read, so he wouldn understand very little of the storyline, if any at all, but anyway...). I've only played through ark of napishtim, but I did play Ys III which was also pretty good.

I never really liked Earthbound. Of course, I was only like five when my bro rented it, but it looked like quite a silly game (I mean, a dog joined your party, WTF?) I don't see what great about it, but I should give it a shot, seeing how I didn't even play the game, plus only being five then didn't help ethier...

River City Ransom... that games looks silly, but it has "BARF!", so that makes it cool.

I know someonew on a different forum who loves Super Robot Wars. It sounds fun, but I never played it, so yeah.

Wasn't Ganbare Goemon made by Konami? It looks interesting, but as far as I know, there only one game in america, being on N64.

Yes, Ganbare Goemon was Made by Konami( The Same Peeps Who did they're Popular Castlevania Series ^^)

Actually, Only 4 Goemon games were released here, these include

Legend of the Mystical Ninja (SNES)- the first super Nes Ganbare Goemon where Goemon and Ebisumaru were changed to the God Awful *COUGH* Kid Ying and Dr Yang

Legend of the Mystical Ninja-Starring Goemon( Gameboy Version)- this one involved Goemon fighting a group of swashbuckling pirates or something,

Legend of the Mystical Ninja Staring Goemon (N64 Version)- the First one for N64, this is the Zelda-like one where Goemon fights the Peach Mountain Shouguns Spring Breeze Dancing and Lily ^^

Goemon's Great Adventure (N64)- this is the second Goemon game for N64, this used a Mixture of 3-D and 2-D sidescrolling( like the SNES goemon games), this involved Goemon trying to Stop Ebisumaru's evil sister from resurrecting a DBZ-like villian knock off Demon called Daichukii.

and Plus, for some odd Reason, Adv Films took interest in licensing the Goemon Anime which is waaaaaaaaaaay many years old than Bomberman Jetters @_@, how it managed to make it to american shores was beyond me, so don't ask.
JET_ALONE
Bomberdude

Post#13  Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:17 pm  Reply with quote + 
I hate Ultimate Muscle. :happy: 

Anyway, I'd be interested in playing the old Y's games, and um. Mother! I haven' played any of those games yet, but I know that Mother 1 & 2 was on GBA, as well as the recent Mother 3. I'd like to get the special edition GB Micro of that too...
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#14  Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:48 am  Reply with quote + 
I'm jumping in a little late, bute...

Kickle Cubicle pwned. I almost beat the whole game plus the 30+ bonus levels until I became inferior. Rawr.

AO3 | deviantArt | Tumblr
Bluesky | Twitter | Ko-Fi
Bombermanga | Bomber Base | B-Daman Now, Dog!

If I don't wield the bomb, I can't protect you. If I keep wielding the bomb, I can't embrace you.
ChronoBall X
Bomberdude

Post#15  Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:57 am  Reply with quote + 
Lets not forget about the Adventures of Lolo games, well, they were quite popular around the time in the Nes days, but not nearly popular enough to compete with the next console, because there were no more new games after the 3 Lolo games (Except for the GB one), and Lolo and Lala ended up being enemies in the Kirby games and Serving as Kirby's Friends in the Kirby Anime on 4Kids Tv.

Omata
Bomberdude

Post#16  Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:54 pm  Reply with quote + 
MaxBomber wrote:
I hate Ultimate Muscle. :happy: 

Anyway, I'd be interested in playing the old Y's games, and um. Mother! I haven' played any of those games yet, but I know that Mother 1 & 2 was on GBA, as well as the recent Mother 3. I'd like to get the special edition GB Micro of that too...

Mother 2 got an english translation under the name Earthbound. Try that. :veryhappy: 
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#17  Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:48 pm  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
River city ransom huh......
http://www.mega64.com/rcr.htm You might appreciate this then. hehe

While I'm at it I may as well post the Metal Gear video...
http://www.mega64.com/mgs.htm

I object, the shenmue one is the funniest, holy crap, if you've played that game more then 2 hours you'll be rolling.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#18  Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:31 pm  Reply with quote + 
I haven't played shenmue so I wouldn't get the jokes. Thats why i haven't watched it yet.

By the way on the Lolo games. I remember seeing them at Gamestop/funcoland a long while back. I was very close to picking it up. I kind of regret it now, but what can you do?
JET_ALONE
Bomberdude

Post#19  Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:00 am  Reply with quote + 
Shenmue? That was really cool. I remember...

Proteagonist : "Excuse me, have you seen a black car around here."
Old Woman : "No."
Protagonist : "UMMMM."

Repeat.

Proteagonist : "Excuse me, have you seen a black car around here."
Young Girl : "No."
Protagonist : "UMMMM."

I can't remember "Protagonist" 's name.
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#20  Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:50 pm  Reply with quote + 
Ryu, but i guess that wins its self as yet another obscure title, it does have alot of fans, but in america it is pretty close to unknown beond said owners of the game.
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 2 Page: 1, 2  Next

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2185s
Index - Back to Top