BombermanBoard Forum Index BombermanBoard
Bomberman Community

Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
Bomberman - Where is the series heading?
[Replies: 19]  [Views: 7767]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General
Users watching this topic: 1  
JET_ALONE
Bomberdude

Post#1  Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:00 pm  Reply with quote + 
NOTE : The following is completeley of my own opinion.

Firstly, what was Bomberman? If I can remember right, it used to be a hell of allot more popular than it is now. Multiplayer was legendary, and to a certain extent it still is. But then other games had to grow, with new graphics and such. It seems that this is where Bomberman went down...Or in my opinion it did.

The whole "Blow stuff up" formula just isn't enough to compete with the games of today, and we've seen the series try to make the effort, with the karting, racing and party spinoffs, and Karabons.

So what would be a good way to describe Bomberman now? When I think of this, I think of the Bomberman title for Ds. It was so, so simple. Basically no storyline, just a repetitive level after level of blowing things up. This is exactly what Hudson does not need to do to our beloved series (Yes Ubisoft has to blame in part too for that game...). But geez, all they had to do was think!! They could of added so many more features - A Bestairy? A "Level Up" sort of system for all 8 coloured Bombers? Time based? Weather based? Multiplayer aid in the levels? Challenge mode? Something as a reward after we'd actually completed the game? Christ sake...

But what of the Bomberman of the future? How is our series growing and evolving? From what we've seen, there has been glimpses of something better - Jetters! I think it was the greatest thing to ever happen to Bomberman, a real consitant storyline, deep and recognisable characters, but that appears to of ended far too soon. And not to mention, Max. The GameBoy Colour Max games were pretty damn good, brilliant in fact. They kept the linear gameplay but gave you something to do inbetween - challenges. The Max2 titles were somewhat unimpressive compared to what had gone before...But still a reminder that Bomberman has to potential to be something great.

New Ds titles are confirmed, and with Nintendo's popular WiFi servivce now available, can Bomberman at last climb to the top via online play? Would this get Hudson to perhaps put more effort into single player modes?

So what do we want to happen? Do we want another Bomberman Story? (aka Tournament?) Do we want Karabons to stay, perhaps implemented better? Do we want Jetters? Do we want Max? Do we still want our once great series, Bomberman?

Discuss.
Angelus
Bomberdude

Post#2  Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:34 am  Reply with quote + 
:sad:  We have been talking about this for a long time now
:veryhappy:  good post though
:P Welcome to the board
Hammer Bomber
Bomberman

Post#3  Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:16 am  Reply with quote + 
jast night, i was doodleing at my desk and i thought up this idea, baseiclly sometimes i invent lots of new evil bombers whitch ushally go from my pen to the paper to the bin when i tid my desk up, and i drew these five bombers in a black fine liner every now and then missing out a line here and there, they all had instruments of pain and tourture attached to thair hands and it looked preety cool and freaky, so obviosly they wouldent fit in with Bomberans image.

but what if they revived Max who hasent been in any of the games lately and developed his own franchice, still takeing place in the Bomberman universe (tho whitch one is beyond me, not the jetterz one cuz hes a baddy) and put him in a game agensed them, it would be a hell of a lot darker and fiendishly evil as far as a storyline and graphics were concerned.

iv been thinking about this all night, if an ida like this was pulled off well it would be awesome
View user profile Send Private Message
Glair Bomber
Bomberdude

Post#4  Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:58 pm  Reply with quote + 
It would be interesting if Max got his own franchise, but Hudson could easily butcher it. I mean, think of what they did to Shadow from the Sonic the hedgehog series by giving him his own game and such. No one was impressed, and if that mistake was made again in the Bomberman series, who knows how much farther downhill it would go. :sad: 

Hero the level 43 Meowth!

Post#5  Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:28 pm  Reply with quote + 
I, too, was very disappointed in the lack of even the shallowest of storylines for the single-player of Bomberman DS, which ultimately influenced my decision to not buy the game. Yes, I am one of those freaks that likes Bomberman single-player. Perhaps part of it is that I rarely have anyone to play multiplayer against...and in general I'm a loner.

Anyway.

1. I wish they'd bring back Lilith, Rukifellth, and the Elemental Knights. They had so much potential in the Second Attack storyline. Or even Princess Millian and Nitros. There's so many one-shot characters that could be developed (though I'm aware this also runs the risk of being butchered and re-hashed). Though I love Jetters to death, I think there's also a lot to be done with the existing "original" Bomberman material.

2. I want to see Bomberman Kart Racing for a Nintendo console. If they brought that back, I'd so buy it.

Post#6  Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:29 pm  Reply with quote + 
That last post was from Sora G. Silverwind. I thought I was logged in...
Glair Bomber
Bomberdude

Post#7  Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:14 am  Reply with quote + 
^___^ Yes, Bomberman Jetters is awesome, but I miss some of the older Bomberman games. You're right, umm, Sora, they should expand on the character development of all of those... and I really miss Nitros and Millian... ): It'd be so freaking awesome to see them again.

JET_ALONE
Bomberdude

Post#8  Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:06 am  Reply with quote + 
Post 1
...I've got Bomberman Hero, but haven't played it in ages. I remeber Nitros being awsome! And Milian was ok, I guess. They could improve her...

But back to the Max standalone series? Er...Nah. If Hudson focused efforts on just one character it would indeed be a Shadow the Hedgehog repeat, and a complete cash in. And we don't want that. Hudson needs to fix the first series before moving onto something new.

And the whole potentialness - Relating back to the fact that Bomberman does have a decent cast. Like in Baku Bomberman (Bomberman 64, aka) the um...Shoot haven't played that game in a while, but still. Was it Sirius's brother and sister that were killed by the omni cubist people? Killed? Yes it's just one word, in death, but if they just had that one small fact about a character, then...

Come on Hudson.

Oh, and the reason for this topic was because I love Bomberman so much, and I'm so p*ssed off that it 'aint as good as it should be.

Post 2
^ Was me, unloggedin.
Glair Bomber
Bomberdude

Post#9  Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:38 am  Reply with quote + 
^-^ Yay, finally someone else who thinks Nitros is cool! I loved his design especially, but I'm forever disappointed how his part in the game was suddenly insignificant when he realizes he was a brainwashed Bomberman Base Trainee. >< I'm sure they could've done more with that, I wanted to know more... :sad: 

Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#10  Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:55 pm  Reply with quote + 
glair_bomber wrote:
^-^ Yay, finally someone else who thinks Nitros is cool! I loved his design especially, but I'm forever disappointed how his part in the game was suddenly insignificant when he realizes he was a brainwashed Bomberman Base Trainee. >< I'm sure they could've done more with that, I wanted to know more... :sad: 

Yes, Nitros was teh awesome. I didn't mind that little plot twist about him being brainwashed, but I agree, they could have done a whole lot more with that. And it was so out of the blue. There was absolutely nothing to indicate anything of the sort. It was like the developers were doing the script, and they suddenly realized near the end of it: "Oh, snaps! This plot isn't complex enough! Let's introduce something that will throw players for a loop 'cause we'll never hint at it in the first four worlds!"

While we're on the topic of favorite characters...am I the only one here with a soft spot for Lilith and Rukifellth, our two lovable space pirates from Second Attack? :oops: 

And then moving on to the topic of Bomberman 64...I've never fully played through that game. But now I'm itching to because I'm hearing about a lot of teensy, seemingly insignificant plot snippets from that thing that I could so use/bastardize in my fanfiction. NOMG STORY! :surprise: 

AO3 | deviantArt | Tumblr
Bluesky | Twitter | Ko-Fi
Bombermanga | Bomber Base | B-Daman Now, Dog!

If I don't wield the bomb, I can't protect you. If I keep wielding the bomb, I can't embrace you.
Glair Bomber
Bomberdude

Post#11  Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:50 pm  Reply with quote + 
My feelings exactly, Sora... btw, loved the Bomberman Bloopers you wrote. :3 Anyways, I've only rented Bomberman 64 and didn't get too far, and never had the chance to play the Second Attack. :cry:  I should really go get those off of Ebay once I get some money, they seem to have some actually decent plot. >>

Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#12  Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:10 pm  Reply with quote + 
glair_bomber wrote:
My feelings exactly, Sora... btw, loved the Bomberman Bloopers you wrote. :3 Anyways, I've only rented Bomberman 64 and didn't get too far, and never had the chance to play the Second Attack. :cry:  I should really go get those off of Ebay once I get some money, they seem to have some actually decent plot. >>

Second Attack is my favorite Bomberman game, hands down. The plot is just so...dude. When did Bomberman start fighting cosmic creatures of the night instead of robots or whatnot? In comparison to the other Bomberman games, I thought it was a really interesting venture. And all the different characters! Not only did they bring back a favorite (YAY REGULUS WEWT), but they introduced a whole bunch of new ones that had great potential - Zoniha amused me greatly. You had to love her "Call me queen!" laugh, even though it sometimes bordered on annoying.

Wheeeeee! I'm high on Bomberman plot talk!

Oh, and thanks for reading my stuff, Glair. :veryhappy: 

If I don't wield the bomb, I can't protect you. If I keep wielding the bomb, I can't embrace you.
Ven
Bomberdude

Post#13  Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:17 pm  Reply with quote + 
Well, I'm fine with Bomberman Online PC right now. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best Bomberman ever.
JET_ALONE
Bomberdude

Post#14  Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:03 pm  Reply with quote + 
Quote:
^-^ Yay, finally someone else who thinks Nitros is cool! I loved his design especially, but I'm forever disappointed how his part in the game was suddenly insignificant when he realizes he was a brainwashed Bomberman Base Trainee. >< I'm sure they could've done more with that, I wanted to know more...

He was a brainwashed trainee? :xeyes:  What...The...You see I didn't like Hero that much, but I disliked my controller even more. It hurt my thumbs, which is the main reason why I stopped playing. Ehehe... :oops:  But anyway, YES Nitros. Does he die in the end? Oh, and can't Hudson see what a marvel they have in their hands? So many awsome awsome characters available to them, all they have to do is bring out the best in Bomberman via these or some more awsome new characters. SIRIUS!! :veryhappy: 

I'm trying to estimate when we'll see this kind of stuff again in Bomberman. How many confirmed Ds titles are there coming up? 2? The Wifi one and another Story (Tournament) right? Although I read on Ign that Bomberman Story for Ds will be a...Puzzler... :surprise: 

Oh, and while I'm on topic of Bombewrman story, wow. That game made Magnet so awsome. He turned into a Dragon for eff sake! Imagine fighting that in 3D. Oh, I hope they use some sort of 3Dness in the future Ds outings. But they should do it well, and not detract from it's classic gameplay! Same gameplay, but spruced up in appearance at least. :mad: 

Oh, and thanks for merging those posts Razon.
Glair Bomber
Bomberdude

Post#15  Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:16 am  Reply with quote + 
No, Nitros doesn't die (well, to my knowledge anyways), thank goodness! I'm actually really embarressed that I haven't beaten BH yet... :oops:  And I've had it for how many years? xP But I'm sorry if I spoiled something there... I didn't know you weren't that far in the game. :cry:  So yeah, he QUITE SUDDENLY realizes he's a brainwashed Bomberman Base Trainee, and just kind of... leaves. I doubt he appears in the game again... but he totally needs to make a comeback... simply because he's awesome. :hilarious: 

Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#16  Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:51 pm  Reply with quote + 
Bomberman Hero I think was the first Bomberman game I beat and definately the first one I beat for the N 64. I liked the action style of the game and found it weird and dangerous, yet interesting that they only made it one player. Most of the enemies were kind of on the lame or goofy side but some of them were pretty cool, I liked Nitros and Natia the best, and her little spider robot. Some parts of that game were really irritating. I for one hated the Bomber Marine levels but other things made up for it. The Louie levels and Bomber Jet levels were some of my favorites. Some of the boss fights in that game were extremely difficult for me. My hardest fight was either Bagular or The time you fight the Sphinx dude on the final planet. I hated the Sphinx guy, he made me want to break stuff. But overall Bomberman Hero turned out to be a decent game. I had some fun with it and some frustration along the way but all together it was a solid action title.

However, the two other N 64 bomberman titles are much better then Hero was. As opposed to only a few interesting characters in Hero, you got a cast of character in which pretty much all of them were interesting in Bomberman 64 and the 2nd attack respectively.

The first Bomberman 64 was my first Bomberman game. I loved its stages and the overall feel of the game. I also loved some of its music. It has an enjoyable soundtrack and a good plot to hold the overhead playing style together. The designs of the courses, more frequent boss fights, good music, and more serious/dark enemies made the game much more interesting then a traditional bomberman game on the NES or the SNES.

I find games like Super bomberman 2 get boring after awhile. The scenery will remain the same level after level and then you fight a boss with little or no story element going on. Sure some of the boss's look cool but thats it... The strength of the older games was the fabulous multiplayer experience. As time went on they did improve the traditional 2D bomberman. Saturn bomberman for example the multiplayer was perfected and the story mode was made alittle more interesting with a bit of a plot, fun bosses, a 2 player option and comedic scenes throughout the levels to keep it entertaining.

Anyway, yes Bomberman 64 has enjoyable stages and is a fun game. Even though it is more so focused on its story aspect, (which I find a better approach to bomberman games if done correctly) its multiplayer was still solid and had interesting twists from the norm. If any bomberman game is bashed for its multiplayer it's this one. People bash on the circular explosions and 3D levels sometimes. I thought they were cool. The coolest thing though was the custom costumes. They need to bring that back to the modern games! They need to! I'd like to also add a side note that this is the only N64 bomberman I have not scene the better ending too yet. So that may boost or lower the games final rating in my mind alittle bit.

Bomberman 64 the second attack however, was like an improved version as far as the story goes of Bomberman 64. Multiplayerwise it was a bit weaker but still solid. (The graphics were lacking in the multiplayer department especially.) The characters were even cooler and there were many more of them in Bomberman 64. Not to mention much more story stuffs. The best part being the enemy meetings at the completion of each world. The gravity generators though some of them were annoying provided interesting puzzle aspects of the games in addition to multiple other puzzles involving the use of the elemental bombs which were a great addition to the game. The music of 64 may have been good but the 2nd attack's soundtrack friggin rules. It's the best bomberman soundtrack I've ever heard. Very hummable enjoyable tunes. Many of which I still listen to frequently on my computer. I loved that game to the very aggrovating final boss at the end. Damn angel of Light and dark.

I think Bomber Man 64: the Second Attack as a storywise game was the best bomberman. As a whole (story and multiplayer together) the best is close between Bman 64 and Saturn Bman in my opinion.

Order of most enjoyable

1st - Bomberman 64: The Second attack
2nd - Bomberman 64
3rd - Bomberman Hero

Favorite characters

Bomberman 64
1st - Regulus
2nd - Sirius
3rd - Artemis

Bomberman 64 2nd attack
1st - Bulzeeb/Regulus
2nd - Rukifellth
3rd - Behemos or Zoniha

Bomberman Hero
1st - Nitros
2nd - Natia
3rd - Bomberman

Favorite Areas

Bomberman 64 - Black Warship
Bomberman 64 2nd attack - Ocean Planet Aquanet

Thats the bulk of my opinion on the N64 bomberman games

Oh Jeese! As for where Bomberman is heading? The topic of this whole discussion.

I feel Bomberman is gonig downhill. I don't feel that the series is gonig to make a comeback anytime soon. The jetters franchise as a story seems so-so in the games but good in the anime. The games have been pretty weak in the past few years. I'm not the traditional Bomberman fan that plays the games for the multiplayer aspect but... Even for those people I don't beleive Bomberman has been doing too well even as a multiplayer game. It's been solid perhaps but there isn't much more you can do with it past Saturn Bomberman. So its not gonig to improve too much. You can increase the player cap and add more items but anything revolutional thats done to it would probably mess up the formula. If you play bomberman for the multiplayer aspect appreciate the older games. There's not much else to be done. Perhaps it'll get better one day as a multiplayer game.

As far as a single player game though I feel that Bomberman has most likely come and gone through his prime. The peak being the second attack.

In my personal experience I have not bought a bomberman game since about 4ish months ago when I managed to find a copy of Bomberman Fantasy Race for 3 bucks. I had alittle fun with that. I still play Saturn bman from time to time, and I will eventually play through all those fun N64 games again. I'm mostly done with it though, I mean with the way the games coming out are looking.
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#17  Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:38 pm  Reply with quote + 
I adored the music for Second Attack. Speaking of which, I saw a Bomberman Music topic somewhere some while ago...would anyone on here happen to have the Second Attack soundtrack (or any part of it) that they'd be willing to send to me?

Bomberman Hero was actually the first Bomberman game I played through and beat - I saw it in the first issue of Nintendo Power that I'd gotten after a long dry spell and went "hay taht lookz kewl lawls" so I went out and bought it. OMG beating Bagular within the target time was such a pain in the posterior. RAWR. I also highly disliked the limited camera movement within the game. Other than that, though, it was a very enjoyable title for me, and I actually think I did some minor fanfiction writing for that, but it's long been lost to the sands of time.

I went out and bought Second Attack, like, the day it came out. Yes, I was that hyped about it after seeing it in Nintendo Power. Sue me. I didn't regret it. Loved it, loved it, loved it. Being the big book/literary geek that I am, I loved the additional scenes at the end of each planet that showed the enemy meetings (which also changed depending on the order you beat the planets in). And so many characters! Yey! And an awesome soundtrack! Yey! And a...multiplayer...mode...yey? What was up with including those random non-Bomberman characters as playable characters? And the graphics could've stood to be better. Overall, though, excellent game.

Following close behind in terms of being one of the best Bomberman games was Bomberman Story. It kept the bombing puzzles, but added HAY A PLOT and an RPG element to it, what with the towns and all. Loooooved it.

In response to Regulus' comments: I found him Bolban to beat there than on Kanatia. :oops:  Also, given your affinity for Regulus, you probably will like the better ending to BM64. I also agree that I don't feel like the future for Bomberman is all that bright. It seemed liked every single-player after Second Attack was severely lacking. I remember being especially disappointed with Bomberman Generation. I don't feel like there will be any improvements to the story. Unless I happen to get on the script-writing staff of the games. Then there will be some very radical changes. Very radical. Mwahahaha.

Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#18  Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:18 am  Reply with quote + 
I'll send you the ones I have if we can arrange something. I'll keep an eye out on AIM and try getting in touch with you.

I have the following songs as mp3s...

Intro (cut scene/black hole)
Ocean Planet Aquanet 1
Sky Planet Horizon 1
Game Planet Starlight 2
Nature Planet Neverland 1
Nature Planet Neverland 2
Amusement Planet Epikur 1
Prison Planet Thantos 2
Warship Noah
Battle With Rukifellth
Sthertoth's battle theme
Multiplayer Battle Royal
Multiplayer Score Attack
Multiplayer King & Knights
Altair
Bomberdude

Post#19  Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:25 am  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
I'd like to also add a side note that this is the only N64 bomberman I have not scene the better ending too yet. So that may boost or lower the games final rating in my mind alittle bit.

Well it took me 6 years. But really, if I had tried harder. I could've got it done... It's not that hard once you know the basics.
Basic Level Basics: 3 are hidden in the lever, 1 comes after killing 30 enemies, and 1 comes if you beat the time.

Sub-Boss/Altair/Final Boss: Paralyze with Pumped Bomb, Blow up with Pumped Bomb, Time, Defeat without Ring out, and 1 is Special.

Boss: Break some body parts, Time, and something special. (Variant)

Regulus 777 wrote:
Damn angel of Light and dark.

You think he's bad? The bad ending one is far worse! (Chaos God.)
They're both tough if you don't know there attack patterns... But after a phew fights you'll get the hang of it. And it'll be VERY easy. :P

And now... for where Bomberman is heading... I'd say down. I've played Bomberman for the DS, and Bomberman Generation.

But first of all, I'd like to note. The music sucks! The only music from Bomberman Generation that I like is the boss fighting and "Morph Formation" themes. And in the DS, it's all too... lame all over.

Another thing is the graphics were horrible! They shouldn't try to make it candy-pop graphic'd or whatever they call it. They should try making these a bit more realistic and 3D, and add some STANDING GRASS WHILE THEY'RE AT IT! The grass in these games are like... flat. It was fine for the 64 cuz that system only has 64-bit potential but... The GCN and NDS are more powerful in the graphics department. Such a thing is unexcusable.

Third, the storylines... They pale in comparison to the 64 series, in the 64 series they had deep and gripping storylines. But... in the DS there's barely anything to it. No explainations, not even 1 person talks to you. As for Generation, it wasn't as bad as the DS. They leave you with so many questions at the ending. (And make Max look suspicious. I don't trust him anymore) So it's pretty descent.

But still... the point is. They need to do better. My idea is just bring back some old chars (Like the Elemental/Astral Knights and REPAIR ALTAIR! PLEASE!!! Sorry... fan-boy moment.), put a good storyline together, and get the 64 music team back...
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#20  Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:14 pm  Reply with quote + 
Quote:
You think he's bad? The bad ending one is far worse! (Chaos God.)

Chaos God effing killed me the first twenty times around. Yeah, there is definitely an attack pattern, but it's still a pain in the butt. The only bonus for kicking the crap out of Chaos God Sthertoth is that you get to see an expression panel of Rukifellth's that doesn't appear anywhere else in the game. Not much of a bonus even if you're a Rukifan.

Quote:
The only music from Bomberman Generation that I like is the boss fighting and "Morph Formation" themes.

I love the ending theme...which is basically a remix of the main theme. But I love it anyway. Speaking of the ending, dude - Bomberman's motorbike thing, whatever it's called? That is a million kinds of awesome. Personally, I'd like to see Bomberman pull off an insane motorbike action scene a la Final Fantasy: Advent Children. Now that would be amazing.

...er, anyway, back to Generation. Other than the main/ending themes, the music was hardly notable. And yeah, Generation leaves too many questions. What was up with Max at the end? I was actually hoping I'd get to kick his ass 'cause he was such a snotty SOB throughout the game (although he was actually also a bit of a cool snotty SOB). I thought for sure Max would be one of the final bosses! I didn't understand the point of giving him that "mysterious" appearance in the ending sequence of the game, because he turned out to not be such an important character after all.

Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2437s
Index - Back to Top