A new Bomberman game is out!
[Replies: 15]  [Views: 5216]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General

Ragey
Board Admin

Post#1  Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:51 am  Reply with quote + 
... for iOS and Android.

Source says it's a 4-player battle game with a bunch of stages, a time-attack single-player mode, and unlockable characters - one of whom appears to be a homage to the TurboGrafx-16 boxart.
It's free on the Japanese iTunes Store and Google Play stores, but apparently there's in-app purchases. Can't seem to find what for, though.

It hasn't gotten good user reviews so far - it's got 38 1-star ratings, and the universal complaint is the controls are terrible. Who's surprised?
I'm currently trying to find a way of downloading this, but the region locking on these stores is really really fierce.

(i'm still of the belief that Bomberman Chains is the best of the bunch you can get for your smartphones, personally)
View user profile Send Private Message
Jei
Bomberman

Post#2  Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:29 am  Reply with quote + 
It looks pretty bland in general aside from that TG16 box art Bomberman. At least they still acknowledge Bomberman's existence I guess.
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#3  Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:02 pm  Reply with quote + 
The artwork is hella cute. Then again, it's Bomberman, so that's practically a prequisite. insert usual Act Zero joke here

I wish this GIF could represent me throwing money at Konami to make Bomberman 3DS or something similar happen, but I'm afraid that the more accurate interpretation is me throwing a buttfurious temper tantrum over what little bomberbones we've been thrown in this fandom.

AO3 | deviantArt | Tumblr
Bluesky | Twitter | Ko-Fi
Bombermanga | Bomber Base | B-Daman Now, Dog!

If I don't wield the bomb, I can't protect you. If I keep wielding the bomb, I can't embrace you.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#4  Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:16 am  Reply with quote + 
I have little to contribute to this discussion but agreement to what everybody else has said thus far.

As for the control complaints, I pity the programmer who tries to develop a joystick or D-pad for a touchscreen, especially for a game where precision is needed. Even with haptic feedback I can't possibly imagine a scenario in which this sort of control scheme will become any better on such a device. They probably did the best that they could, though I of course can't speak from the experience of having played the game.

But anyway. This is, I suppose, a hopeful occurrance for the franchise. Though the likelihood of any games outside of the mobile platform being developed are slim.
Ragey
Board Admin

Post#5  Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:53 pm  Reply with quote + 
I picked up the game yesterday and I've been dipping in and out of it since then, so, er, excuse the huge pile of incoming text.

You get a battle game with offline and online capabilities (as far as I can tell!), and a single-player coliseum mode where you battle upwards of 25 CPUs, three at a time - after one is killed, another warps in, until the final opponent is a boss character (though they function just the same as you, only with better items).

There's 32 skins, extra battle stages and other gubbins to unlock, which you can get either with reward points from beating battle or coliseum games, or through microtransactions (around 90 to 140 yen). Each skin gives you a different item loadout at the start of a battle; the boss character I unlocked only had an extra Bomb-Up, but later skins have you seriously stocked-up - Max begins with seven Fire Ups, six Bomb-Ups and Penetration Bombs!
For the record, Max, the NES sprite and the TurboGrafx-16 homage (named Cyborg #0898) are the only 'legacy' skins as far as I can tell, the rest are just Bombermen in costumes. You'd think they could save the trouble of hiring a character designer by ganking old designs, but what do I know about pandering?

It's a pretty tiny game, but it's not a bad package. What kills it is the god-awful d-pad. It's like cranking a bloody gearstick! I sincerely have no idea how it's meant to be comfortably used - it doesn't respond to your thumb well at all, and often leaves you wandering in random directions. It's most responsive when you're jamming your thumb right into the screen, but then you're sweating all over your iPad and making it even more unpredictable. I get the most accurate input by using my index finger, but you can't quickly change directions that way. Long story short, I've killed myself darn near every match with it because I either go somewhere I don't want to or can barely get myself to move in time.

It's an absolute nightmare, and I did everything to try and make it work - I washed my hands, I wore gloves, I trimmed my nails - I even got gamepad recognition on my iPad in the hopes this game would accept it. It doesn't. You just gotta get used to it.
It's a crying shame, because the other Bomberman games, while not perfectly, certainly had d-pads that were miles more sensible. 100 Man Battle and Volcano Party used a sliding thumbpad in a circle (see this screenshot), and although it was bit mushy, it was a lot more comfortable and easier to work with. I came away from this game with my left hand snarled up like a dog chewed it, I was fighting that d-pad so much.

The game's only 4 days old, so there's a chance they'll patch some sense into the game. It may be nothing special, but it's not a bad game (it's got better content and less BS than 100 Man Battle, that's for sure), and it'd be a sensible thing to bring over to our shores if Konami ever actually did that sort of thing.
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#6  Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:03 pm  Reply with quote + 
Thanks for the Bomberreport, Ragey!

AO3 | deviantArt | Tumblr
Bluesky | Twitter | Ko-Fi
Bombermanga | Bomber Base | B-Daman Now, Dog!

If I don't wield the bomb, I can't protect you. If I keep wielding the bomb, I can't embrace you.
Vent
Bomberdude

Post#7  Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:40 pm  Reply with quote + 
There a reason Bad Box Art Bomberman up there is named "Cyborg #0898"? Is that number significant? Is there a reference here I'm missing?
Ragey
Board Admin

Post#8  Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:28 am  Reply with quote + 
I'm guessing maybe it's a reference to the TurboGrafx-16's release date in August 1989? His description calls him "an American-born cyborg!" after all.
(also, some of the names feel either really stupid or really offensive - like Bonnessa Sauerkraut and Bom Tacos. there's also a skin called Police Miniskirt Bomber, and it is exactly as classy as you think it is)
Vent
Bomberdude

Post#9  Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:14 pm  Reply with quote + 
Are....are those really what they're called in Japan? Those sound an awful lot like the pun-tastic names from Bomberman Live and Bomberman Ultra.
TheSeek
Bomberbie

Post#10  Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:25 pm  Reply with quote + 
After some issues, I managed to download and install the andorid version from the Play Store, but I can't play it...
The game loads, but then it starts trying connecting to something(I wish I could read japanese) as soon as I reach what it seems to be the title screen, and it doesnt matter how long I wait or if i set up a Japanese VPN so that it can actually connect to japanese servers(if that's what it's trying to do, it did work in other japanese games though), it always fail and ultimately crashes.
Not to mention how the game created some data files(roughly 150-200 MB)everytime i tried to launch the game, without over writing the previous ones(I ended up with more than 1GB of useless data before i even noticed it did so).

If anyone is interested in trying the android version themselves to see if they can somehoe make it work, I can provide the apk(it's a free app, so there should be no problems).
Ragey
Board Admin

Post#11  Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:20 pm  Reply with quote + 
The game connects to the Mobage server when it boots up, and unless I log into my Japanese account on the App Store, it won't let me progress. I've only played the iPad version, so I can't speak for Android, I'm afraid!
(as far as i can tell, the Mobage connection is just to display ads on the title screen and to facilitate the microtransactions, which is a crummy way of locking people out)

I also made a quick page to list the characters - the whole page is just a placeholder and the translations are mighty sloppy, but any help is appreciated. I'd love to know who the heck 佐古田 幸雄(48) is supposed to be!
Bomber D Rufi
Bomberdude

Post#12  Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:39 pm  Reply with quote + 
Ragey wrote:
The game connects to the Mobage server when it boots up, and unless I log into my Japanese account on the App Store, it won't let me progress. I've only played the iPad version, so I can't speak for Android, I'm afraid!
(as far as i can tell, the Mobage connection is just to display ads on the title screen and to facilitate the microtransactions, which is a crummy way of locking people out)

I also made a quick page to list the characters - the whole page is just a placeholder and the translations are mighty sloppy, but any help is appreciated. I'd love to know who the heck 佐古田 幸雄(48) is supposed to be!

Long time no Bomb. I heard from Sora that translation help is needed. That's pretty much all I'm good for, so here I am.

佐古田 幸雄 ...well names are really hard in Japanese. My first instinct is Sakoda Yukio, but there are quite a few other readings it has. I don't think there's any reference either other than it being a sorta 'Joe schmoe' name.

Now for the rest. Really the's TL's are pretty good! I don't think I have anything other than minor, minor changes.

ノスタルジックな気分で爆破! (Classic Bomber)
'Exploding with nostalgic feeling!'

野性味あふれる太古のパワー! (Bomb Caveman)
Overflowing with uncouth ancient power!

妻と娘のため… 私は闘う! (Sakoda Yukio)
I fight for my wife and daughter!

…TARGET ヲ LOCK ON シマシタ (Bomber Cannon)
LOCKED ON TO TARGET.

カラッと揚がって ドカンと爆破! (Bomb fry)
Deep fried with a bang!

服部 ボン蔵 Hattori Bomzou
闇に生き 闇に爆破!
Dwelling and exploding in the darkness.

横綱 ボム錦
Yokuzuna Bomu Nishiki (I think.)

七つの海は俺のもの 逆らうヤツは皆爆破! (Captain Bomb)
The seven seas belong to me!! All who oppose me will explode!

爆破だぜアミーゴ! (Bomb Tacos)
It's an explosion Amigo!

The rest are fine I think. Let me (or Sora) know if there's anything else you need. I'll get the message somehow.
Ragey
Board Admin

Post#13  Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:22 pm  Reply with quote + 
Oh, shucks, thanks very much, Rufi! (you seriously need to tell me if I can repay you, I feel awful having you swoop in and make awesome translations for me and all I can say is "thanks! make more of 'em!")

I updated the page with more in-depth info, but there's only so much I can write before I have to start either getting good or throwing cash at it, unfortunately. I calculated all the microtransactions, and it'd cost 4800 yen to buy everything in the game - and that's before you consider the possibility of more stuff being added in future updates! (do you think spending £26 on cosmetic gubbins in a Bomberman game would make Konami think, "people are interested in this franchise!", or "those suckers will pay for anything!"?)

(also, do you think it's worth my while making a trivia section? Cyborg #0898 is well worth explaining, but I don't know if I've the energy to methodically list "this guy's a Bruce Lee homage, this quote is a bizarre mangling of "let them eat cake", this guy's wearing a battered fish because why the hell not". the wiki can take care of that, right?)
Vent
Bomberdude

Post#14  Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:39 am  Reply with quote + 
Well, based on plasm's description it seems "the wiki" is kind of a hellhole no matter how you slice it.
B.H
Bomberbie

Post#15  Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:51 pm  Reply with quote + 
I managed to get the game as well, though I had to use a different iTunes account and switch it to Japan in order to get it. The control stick is awful.
SailorBomber
Bomberdude

Post#16  Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:19 pm  Reply with quote + 
The game is died D:
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2592s
Index - Back to Top