[Replies: 59]  [Views: 10650]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General

Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#41  Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:11 pm  Reply with quote + 
Duke Serkol wrote:
Nah, importing has gotten way too complicated ever since home consoles were given blasted firmware updates.

I liked "Kirby returnS to Dreamland" with returnS (note the S) before Dreamland because it implied something. That it was Kirby who was returning to Dreamland and not just us (unlike say Donkey Kong Contry Returns, in which it is the game Donkey Kong Country that is returning, while the characters have never left the place).

I mean, every now and then it would be kind of nice for a game's title to have something to do with the game's specific story, you know?

Consider the Castlevania games, they are literally named with the following formula "musical term + emo/gothic reference", thus resulting in the various Symphony of the Night, Harmony of Dissonance, Aria of Sorrow...

They aren't bad titles, but you could switch them around and no one would realize it (in fact they kind of did when bringing them out of Japan).

I can see your point. But using that though, the title's still true to the game's plot, as Kirby is on yet another adventure. If anything, I'm glad they didn't go with a silly pun or anything this time around (like say Amazing Mirror for example).

I believe the names for those particular Castlevania games, even in Japan, still referenced musical terms. Even with Symphony of the Night, in Japan, it was a play on words (it was called "Nocturne of the Moonlight"). And there are only five games in the whole series that had musical terms in the name (one of which, Lament of Innocence, is also a play on words), and I wouldn't even seriously count one of them as it's a noncanon crossover multiplayer game.[/fanboyism]

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
View user profile Send Private Message
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#42  Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:40 am  Reply with quote + 
Yeah but name me one Kirby game in which you can clearly determine he was NOT on an adventure.

And yes, like I said they kind of shuffled the names a bit when bringing the Japanese Castlevanias here.
But let's have a list:
Rondo of Blood-Rondo of Blood
Symphony of the Night-Nocturne of the Moonlight
Legends-Dark Night Prelude
Harmony of Dissonance-Concerto of the Midnight Sun
Aria of Sorrow-Minuet of Dawn (not to be confused with Dawn of Sorrow)
Lament of Innocence-Castlevania (just... Castlevania)
Encore of the Night (not released in Japan)
Harmony of Despair-Harmony of Despair

...that enough?
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#43  Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:35 pm  Reply with quote + 
Duke Serkol wrote:
Yeah but name me one Kirby game in which you can clearly determine he was NOT on an adventure.

Air Ride?

Duke Serkol wrote:
And yes, like I said they kind of shuffled the names a bit when bringing the Japanese Castlevanias here.
But let's have a list:
Rondo of Blood-Rondo of Blood
Symphony of the Night-Nocturne of the Moonlight
Legends-Dark Night Prelude
Harmony of Dissonance-Concerto of the Midnight Sun
Aria of Sorrow-Minuet of Dawn (not to be confused with Dawn of Sorrow)
Lament of Innocence-Castlevania (just... Castlevania)
Encore of the Night (not released in Japan)
Harmony of Despair-Harmony of Despair

...that enough?

Never heard of Encore of the Night before until now. Doesn't sound like something I'd seriously consider canon though. But I suppose that would be entirely beside the point.

Can't believe I forgot Rondo of Blood. Most of the other ones you mentioned are the ones I was specifically talking about, however.

Legends is actually pretty faithful in name, contextwise. While prelude is a musicial term, prelude can also refer to the beginning. Legends was originally intended to be the "prelude" to the Belmonts' unending battle against Dracula. That was, unfortunately, removed from the timeline for seemingly no reason by IGA and is instead replaced with Lament of Innocence.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#44  Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:02 pm  Reply with quote + 
Soniti 254 wrote:
Air Ride?

He was exploring the adventures of racing.
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#45  Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:28 am  Reply with quote + 
Soniti 254 wrote:
Air Ride?

It had bosses, but I guess contrary to games like Dream Course and Blockball, it didn't really have a plot in the vein of "we must save the world... by racing!" so yeah, you could say that was just about racing.
Still, if it's that one game, my point stands: nearly every single Kirby game has been an adventure.
Plus, "Kirby's Adventure" was the title of his second game, the one on the NES. Last time Nintendo took a NES title and added Wii to it, we had New Super Mario Bros Wii, which admittedly was a big throwback to the NES games... however this Kirby is closer in nature to the SNES game Super Star, so if anything they shuld have called it New Kirby Super Star Wii. In short, no matter how you look at it, this title was a bad choice.

Still plenty of potential to be a great game, of course.

Soniti 254 wrote:
Legends is actually pretty faithful in name, contextwise. While prelude is a musicial term, prelude can also refer to the beginning.

True that.

Soniti 254 wrote:
That was, unfortunately, removed from the timeline for seemingly no reason by IGA

There was a very valid reason: it screwed up the timeline. The game was supposed to happen a few months before Trevor's birth. Problem is, Trevor's battle with Dracula occurred in 1476, the year of Dracula's historical death. At that time Dracula was 45 years old. Legends needs to happen at the very least 16 years before that (though really, 16 years old Trevor?), so that'd mean Dracula would be a dashing 29 years old... however in the game (and artwork) his appearence is that of a man in his late sixties, with white hair and beard, and his son is already old enough to be a father himself (somehow, I doubt Dracula conceived him while 13).

So yeah, Legends was all kinds of screwed up and it was very responsible of Konami to admit it and retract the whole thing.
I wish more software houses had the balls to do that. Like say, with a certain Metroid game... :shifty: 
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#46  Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:25 am  Reply with quote + 
Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
Air Ride?

It had bosses, but I guess contrary to games like Dream Course and Blockball, it didn't really have a plot in the vein of "we must save the world... by racing!" so yeah, you could say that was just about racing.
Still, if it's that one game, my point stands: nearly every single Kirby game has been an adventure.

I suppose I could possibly add Star Stacker; or Gourmet Race and Avalanche for sure, if you'd like, but it'd be redundant and your point still stands.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Plus, "Kirby's Adventure" was the title of his second game, the one on the NES. Last time Nintendo took a NES title and added Wii to it, we had New Super Mario Bros Wii, which admittedly was a big throwback to the NES games... however this Kirby is closer in nature to the SNES game Super Star, so if anything they shuld have called it New Kirby Super Star Wii. In short, no matter how you look at it, this title was a bad choice.

I disagree. Kirby's Adventure is a very broad name in general and it fits the context of the game, which is Kirby is on yet another grand adventure. Outside of hardcore Kirby fans, I doubt many people are going to say "Hey, what the hell man, this isn't like Kirby's Adventure at all!" The basic plot is also pretty similar in both games from what has been revealed. In Adventure, Kirby travels all over Dream Land to recover the scattered pieces of the Star Rod. In this game, Kirby and the gang are traveling all over Dream Land to recover the scattered pieces of a crashed space ship. I see your point, but I just don't think it's that big of a deal.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
That was, unfortunately, removed from the timeline for seemingly no reason by IGA

There was a very valid reason: it screwed up the timeline. The game was supposed to happen a few months before Trevor's birth. Problem is, Trevor's battle with Dracula occurred in 1476, the year of Dracula's historical death. At that time Dracula was 45 years old. Legends needs to happen at the very least 16 years before that (though really, 16 years old Trevor?), so that'd mean Dracula would be a dashing 29 years old... however in the game (and artwork) his appearence is that of a man in his late sixties, with white hair and beard, and his son is already old enough to be a father himself (somehow, I doubt Dracula conceived him while 13).

So yeah, Legends was all kinds of screwed up and it was very responsible of Konami to admit it and retract the whole thing.
I wish more software houses had the balls to do that. Like say, with a certain Metroid game... :shifty: 

I'm reading up the two games on Wiki (inb4 notareliablesourcelol), and it says Legends takes place in 1450, wheras Dracula's Curse takes place in 1476. That's a 26 year gap, it's easily possible for Trevor to be over 20 years old by Dracula's Curse. I'm not sure what the problem with this is exactly.

And what Dracula's looks like age wise isn't really relevant, as, if I recall correctly, it only determines how powerful he currently is (with older meaning more powerful). He's been resurrected numerous times, with each game looking pretty different age wise. In Rondo of Blood, he looked like something out of Bram Stroker's Dracula, but in the direct sequel, Symphony of the Night, he looked like a man in his 60's, and SotN took place only a few years after.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#47  Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:31 am  Reply with quote + 
In 1450 Dracula would have been 19 years old. Not only that but far from being a count or prince, ruler of either Transylvania or Wallachia, he would in fact have been hiding from both Turks and Hungarians at the court of his Moldavian uncle.

Also, seeing as he was 19, even if he had conceived Alucard at twelve (ew), he'd still be seven at most, which would make his dialogues with Sonya... kind of awkward.

Are you beginning to see the problem now?
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#48  Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:45 am  Reply with quote + 
Duke Serkol wrote:
In 1450 Dracula would have been 19 years old. Not only that but far from being a count or prince, ruler of either Transylvania or Wallachia, he would in fact have been hiding from both Turks and Hungarians at the court of his Moldavian uncle.

Also, seeing as he was 19, even if he had conceived Alucard at twelve (ew), he'd still be seven at most, which would make his dialogues with Sonya... kind of awkward.

Are you beginning to see the problem now?

So just because Dracula's partly based on a historical figure means that everything about him is the same? I suppose Lament of Innocence is incorrect too in this regard.

Meh, whatever, it's been retconned for a long while now, so there isn't even any point in arguing over this.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#49  Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:13 pm  Reply with quote + 
Pardon the double-post. New trailer. It's actually different this time!

Look at about 1:47. You can see that the three other playable characters (Meta Knight, Triple D, and Waddle Dee) swapped positions on the HUD. This confirms that they are at least swappable for the other players, but I wonder if that means that they can used by player 1 as well?

Other playable Kirbys instead of the three unique characters also confirmed in this video.

Two more what I shall dub "Super Copy Abilities" are revealed. Flare Beam and Monster Fire. Flare Beam's pretty interesting looking. From what I gather, you can control this large orb of energy around the screen, damaging anything on contact. It looks to also be used in some puzzles. Monster Fire summons a fire dragon across the screen, severing that rope like Ultra Sword did.

Overall, the game looks fantastic. I think I can confidently say this will be one of the best Kirby games out there, and maybe even one of the best Wii games.

Recent stuff I'm into:

dakirbydude
Bomberman

Post#50  Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:51 pm  Reply with quote + 
This is looking quite amazing! There are so many games coming this holiday season but I am really looking forward to this. The one thing that concerns me though is it looks way too easy. Traditionally, Kirby games haven't been about the difficulty unless you consider 100% completion, but I am particularly worried about the potential lack of difficulty here.

Still though, it looks like an amazing Wii game!
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#51  Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:27 pm  Reply with quote + 
dakirbydude wrote:
This is looking quite amazing! There are so many games coming this holiday season but I am really looking forward to this. The one thing that concerns me though is it looks way too easy. Traditionally, Kirby games haven't been about the difficulty unless you consider 100% completion, but I am particularly worried about the potential lack of difficulty here.

Still though, it looks like an amazing Wii game!

Really? I'm honestly thinking this will be more along the lines of Kirby 64, regarding difficulty.

Of course, the only way to know for sure is to try it out.

Recent stuff I'm into:

dakirbydude
Bomberman

Post#52  Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:19 pm  Reply with quote + 
The 4 player co-op is what leads me to believe it will be easy. It looks similar to New Super Mario Bros but everyone works together and Kirby is the obvious ringleader because everyone teleports to him. It looks like people will blow through levels...
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#53  Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:53 pm  Reply with quote + 
Eh, I can't think of a single (non gameboy) Kirby game where you don't blow through levels for a normal run of the game. Adventure, Super Star, Crystal Shards, DL3, all very easy games.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#54  Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:37 pm  Reply with quote + 
dakirbydude wrote:
The 4 player co-op is what leads me to believe it will be easy. It looks similar to New Super Mario Bros but everyone works together and Kirby is the obvious ringleader because everyone teleports to him. It looks like people will blow through levels...

New Super Mario Bros., Kirby Wii... Now all we need is a New Super Bomberman Wii with 4-player co-op, and then people would REALLy blow through levels.

On a serious note, though, it really depends on how good the developers are at adjusting the difficulty, depending on the number of players. Or, rather, whether or not they really will. I'm actuallly partial to the idea of 4-player co-op games, as long as the difficulty is adjusted accordingly - or at the very least, if they just throw in more weak enemies, a competitive element should be introduced.

But yeah, this is a Kirby game. Kind of doubting that. Could be wrong, though.
dakirbydude
Bomberman

Post#55  Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:00 pm  Reply with quote + 
fireball87 wrote:
Eh, I can't think of a single (non gameboy) Kirby game where you don't blow through levels for a normal run of the game. Adventure, Super Star, Crystal Shards, DL3, all very easy games.

I don't disagree with you there. What I meant is this game could be even easier than those games given the way they did the co-op...

Only time will tell though. This game looks fun anyway...
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#56  Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:06 am  Reply with quote + 
plasm wrote:
Now all we need is a New Super Bomberman Wii with 4-player co-op, and then people would REALLy blow through levels.

hurhur... I see what you did thar sir! lolz

I also agree on a serious note that since its kirby, it'll most likely be quite easy. It's almost expected of the series at this point.

In fact I bet more people would be upset that it's more difficult then usual, then those people that would be pleased that it's actually more challenging.
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#57  Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:05 am  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
In fact I bet more people would be upset that it's more difficult then usual, then those people that would be pleased that it's actually more challenging.

Why isn't there a bloody hard mode to correct this issue and make us all happy!? RARGH!! :flame: 

No seriously, there should be a Hard Mode. It should be like a Bomberman64 Hard Mode. That was awesome and keep people who like challenges interested.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#58  Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:07 am  Reply with quote + 
I'm aware that Kirby has never been a particularly challenging series, but some of the games can be moderately challenging, which is a bit of pleasant surprise to some of the more experienced fans and/or gamers. The original Dream Land, Kirby 64, Canvas Curse, and the new games introduced in Super Star Ultra I found to be pretty challenging for a Kirby game, for example.

Some of you guys have to keep in mind that not everyone who gets the game is going to be able to take full advantage of the game's co-op functions. I, for one, will not, particularly because I don't get together with people too often, and I doubt most of them would want to play Kirby of all games (it's a bit of a disappointment for me, but that's their loss), so I'm usually playing games solo. Even party games like Smash Bros. and Air Ride I play by myself more often then with a group. It's not that I don't choose to, it's that I realistically do not see me playing through the game with three other buddies. I don't think more players automatically equals easy all the time either. As sometimes, your buddies can be more of a hindrance then actually be of any help to you.

plasm wrote:
Now all we need is a New Super Bomberman Wii with 4-player co-op, and then people would REALLy blow through levels.

Oh plasm. Only you can make something so corny so funny. :3

DarkFire4114 wrote:
No seriously, there should be a Hard Mode. It should be like a Bomberman64 Hard Mode. That was awesome and keep people who like challenges interested.

Actually, some games do have something of a hard mode, typically called "Extra Mode", which are noticeably more difficult. For example, Kirby's Adventure/Nightmare in Dreamland's Extra Mode has you replay the whole game with only three units of health instead of six, and Dream Land has noticeably tougher and more aggressive enemies to fight.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#59  Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:07 pm  Reply with quote + 
Soniti 254 wrote:
I don't think more players automatically equals easy all the time either. As sometimes, your buddies can be more of a hindrance then actually be of any help to you.

This is true. As long as players can obstruct or damage each other, or alter the environment in some way, then yeah, that alone adds some difficulty. Still, in my opinion, the only added difficulty should not be the potential incompetence of your partner(s).
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#60  Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:30 am  Reply with quote + 
Though I do agree with all this I'd like to add that even if you're buddies are not incompetent I can still find them a distraction in certain games especially shmups! Cause all the extra action on the screen makes it harder for me to concentrate on dodging.

I guess you guys could say that may just be my own incompetence? And perhaps its true but I still find it to be a bother at times. Though I generally have fun playing shmups with buddies anyway so I've obtained quite a few in my time so far... Including Darius Twin, Steam Hearts, Gekioh Shooting King, Strikers 1945, and Castle Shikigami 2 just to name a few.
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 3 of 3 Page: Previous  1, 2, 3

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2153s
Index - Back to Top