Wii Kirby Game
[Replies: 59]  [Views: 10645]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General

TokiAlbatou
Bomberman

Post#1  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:46 pm  Reply with quote + 
I recently found out from a friend that there's a new Kirby game coming out for the Wii that is currently in the making. It looks somewhat like Kirby 64 in a way for some of the enemies and stuff but after watching the video that was on the site I found this...I was simply mind blown from what I saw.
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#2  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:52 pm  Reply with quote + 
GOOD, It appears that they may have continued or restarted the GC kirby project. I loved kirby's epic yarn, but I'd be sad if it was the end of the classic kirby franchise.
View user profile Send Private Message
Vent
Bomberdude

Post#3  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:57 am  Reply with quote + 
Holy lord there's a Cowboy Kirby...and it's using a whip! I TOTALLY had that SAME idea. 8O
Razon
Board Admin

Post#4  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:49 am  Reply with quote + 
Glad to see that they revived or had kept working on this game, it looks much better than it did in the video from years back. Still need to get around to playing epic yarn, nintendo likes to try original things with their franchises but I doubt that they would have ever stopped making normal kirby games.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#5  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:02 pm  Reply with quote + 
Oooh! Looks pretty cool. I'd probably play that one.
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#6  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:11 pm  Reply with quote + 
Razon wrote:
but I doubt that they would have ever stopped making normal kirby games.

The fact that there hadn't been a proper kirby since Sakurai left HAL leaves me worrisome... and the gamecube one being canceled didn't help that either.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#7  Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:22 pm  Reply with quote + 
My word. YES.

Also, that looks to be some sort of Indiana Jones Kirby.
Ragey
Board Admin

Post#8  Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:37 pm  Reply with quote + 
fireball87 wrote:
The fact that there hadn't been a proper kirby since Sakurai left HAL leaves me worrisome... and the gamecube one being canceled didn't help that either.
What do you define as a "proper" Kirby game? Sakurai left in 2003 and it's not like there's been a drought of new instalments, like Amazing Mirror, Squeak Squad and so on. I don't think there's much to worry about there.

This new game looks totally up my street. I've always been miffed that the GameCube one was cancelled (it had 4-player co-op! You could play as the partners! IT'S ALL I EVER WANTED~), so to see it resurrected is a pleasant sight. I just hope the level design is decent, as that's what sunk Kirby 64 for me - I don't recall many of the levels having very involving levels, just running to the right with very few obstacles. Then again, it has been a long time since I played it.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#9  Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:27 pm  Reply with quote + 
If this is going to be like what the GCN Kirby was supposed to be, I'm very much interested in it.

Looks pretty good. Haven't gotten around to playing Epic Yarn yet, and probably won't for a while.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#10  Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:20 pm  Reply with quote + 
Ragey wrote:
fireball87 wrote:
What do you define as a "proper" Kirby game? Sakurai left in 2003 and it's not like there's been a drought of new instalments, like Amazing Mirror, Squeak Squad and so on. I don't think there's much to worry about there.

Exactly 5. Kirby's Epic Yarn being the only console release, I generally ignore portable releases, as I never have portable systems, nor do I really like portable systems... I like being social with games, even single player ones. I do not consider Epic Yarn standard Kirby release, what with the main elements of Kirby post Adventure being absent. It was... somewhat similar to the first Dream Land game I suppose.

The rest of the games, I'll discount Kirby's Canvas Curse as a proper Kirby game as it's gameplay isn't at all Kirby, and the Port of superstar I'll discount as it's a new game entirely. This Leaves Kirby Squeak Squad and Kirby and the Amazing Mirror... which I suppose were probably proper enough, had I ever got a chance to really play them.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#11  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:54 am  Reply with quote + 
I've got to say, it has been pretty sad that a lot of games that would have been released on consoles back in the SNES or even N64 day became confined to the portable systems, I guess because they were 2D-based.

I mean, yeah, maybe some people wouldn't have played them on the GameCube or whatever because they wouldn't have been "making use" of the system's graphical capabilities, but I know a lot of other people would have played them... but missed out because they didn't have handheld systems. Myself included.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#12  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:56 pm  Reply with quote + 
Kirby's always been more successful on a handheld though, I thinks. His first game was on the original Game Boy. There are only a handful of real Kirby games on consoles (as in not including spinoffs like Air Ride). I think I can pretty safely say I've played almost all of the true console ones (again, not including spinoffs), the only ones I haven't are Dream Land III (which I hear is pretty good) and Epic Yarn, AFAIK.

If you have a GameCube and don't already have one, get a Game Boy Player. You can play all of your Game Boy/Color/Advance titles on the big screen that way (I wouldn't try Game Boy Camera though, probably not necessary to add though). You can play all of the Game Boy Kirby games and any other gems you might have missed out on that way.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#13  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:21 pm  Reply with quote + 
Soniti 254 wrote:
Kirby's always been more successful on a handheld though, I thinks. His first game was on the original Game Boy. There are only a handful of real Kirby games on consoles (as in not including spinoffs like Air Ride). I think I can pretty safely say I've played almost all of the true console ones (again, not including spinoffs), the only ones I haven't are Dream Land III (which I hear is pretty good) and Epic Yarn, AFAIK.

From 1990 to 2000, the only two standard series Kirby games on a hand held platform were Kirby's Dreamland 1 and 2. In that same period there were 4 console releases. Adventure, Super Star, Dreamland 3, and 64. 2000s were hand held dominated, though only 2 standard Kirby releases... that does beat the 0 the consoles have had in that decade.

--edit-- I will not count remakes.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#14  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:27 pm  Reply with quote + 
fireball87 wrote:
From 1990 to 2000, the only two standard series Kirby games on a hand held platform were Kirby's Dreamland 1 and 2. In that same period there were 4 console releases. Adventure, Super Star, Dreamland 3, and 64. 2000s were hand held dominated, though only 2 standard Kirby releases... that does beat the 0 the consoles have had in that decade.

That is true, but if we go in depth and include all Kirby games (for all intents and purposes, I won't include the Smash Bros. games or Avalanche because 1) Smash Bros is not really a Kirby game and 2) Avalanche is just Puyo Pop with Kirby characters and music), you can see that, out of all 20 games, 11 of them are on a portable console. That's a little over half of the series' library right there. If I took out remakes (which consists of about 2 or 3 games), that's still about half of the library.

I used this site to give myself a quick refresh of what's out there for Kirby games.

As for the "not true" Kirby games, Nintendo likes to use Kirby to experiment with new/different gameplay mechanics. And I think all of the ones I did try were pretty fun and cool, and definitely fit in with the Kirby universe. So eh, I guess I don't really mind if it is a true Kirby game or not.

I'm not saying that Kirby doesn't belong on a console, I'd actually like to see more Kirby games on them, but I do think Kirby's more at home on a handheld. I think they play a little better on a hand held console. But again, maybe that's just me.

Recent stuff I'm into:

fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#15  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:47 pm  Reply with quote + 
Soniti 254 wrote:
As for the "not true" Kirby games, Nintendo likes to use Kirby to experiment with new/different gameplay mechanics. And I think all of the ones I did try were pretty fun and cool, and definitely fit in with the Kirby universe. So eh, I guess I don't really mind if it is a true Kirby game or not.

Nor do I, as long as the standard gameplay still exists... not that I suppose it matters too much anymore, Kirby is a fairly long running series, I got by replaying the early ones for a decade... another decade wouldn't kill me... still I do like news of a standard Kirby game.

As for fitting in the Kirby universe, I'm not sure that a lot of those games would lose anything by being outside of the Kirby universe either, minus a good chunk of marketing. Quite a few of those games weren't designed as Kirby games initially... anything you place within a universe is likely to be accepted as long as it doesn't clash with prior decisions. An example from outside Kirby... take Tetris Attack, this game falls believably in the Mario Universe, then the Pokemon Universe... despite the fact that it has similarities to neither game, and was initially designed to target a completely different demographic. I mean seriously, you can't tell me that re-skinned Kirby tilt and tumble wouldn't have worked just as well as a game with any other character, and I doubt anyone would've said "hmm, this should've been a Kirby game".

But whichever, I should stop now, I've been dragged too far off my initial statement for a topic that doesn't really matter all that much to me.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#16  Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:31 am  Reply with quote + 
fireball87 wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:

Nor do I, as long as the standard gameplay still exists... not that I suppose it matters too much anymore, Kirby is a fairly long running series, I got by replaying the early ones for a decade... another decade wouldn't kill me... still I do like news of a standard Kirby game.

As for fitting in the Kirby universe, I'm not sure that a lot of those games would lose anything by being outside of the Kirby universe either, minus a good chunk of marketing. Quite a few of those games weren't designed as Kirby games initially... anything you place within a universe is likely to be accepted as long as it doesn't clash with prior decisions. An example from outside Kirby... take Tetris Attack, this game falls believably in the Mario Universe, then the Pokemon Universe... despite the fact that it has similarities to neither game, and was initially designed to target a completely different demographic. I mean seriously, you can't tell me that re-skinned Kirby tilt and tumble wouldn't have worked just as well as a game with any other character, and I doubt anyone would've said "hmm, this should've been a Kirby game".

But whichever, I should stop now, I've been dragged too far off my initial statement for a topic that doesn't really matter all that much to me.

You bring up some good points. Although, IMHO, I doubt that reskinning Tilt and Tumble to, say, a Mario theme would've worked out nearly as well (although the idea of rolling Mario around like a ball sounds pretty hilarious).

Recent stuff I'm into:

fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#17  Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:36 am  Reply with quote + 
Yeah, Mario would seem weird... but if HAL re-skinned it as a new Lolo game (what is with Hal and little balls anyway?, if it weren't for how good the games looked, I'd assume a struggling art department) I'm sure it would've seemed just fine.
dakirbydude
Bomberman

Post#18  Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:10 pm  Reply with quote + 
Well I'm excited to see how this turns out... It looks pretty good.

And just to let everyone know I doubt a game like Kirby's Epic Yarn would replace the proper Kirby games. Kirby has had little spin offs over the years, and Epic Yarn was a good game, but more of a 1 hit wonder than a redo of the gameplay concept. It's one of those games that was pretty good but probably won't (and shouldn't) get a sequel. Although Nintendo did make Super Mario Galaxy 2
Razon
Board Admin

Post#19  Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:08 am  Reply with quote + 
The game release date is currenty set for Q4 2011, there's a new trailer and screenshots for it.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/kirby-wii/index.html
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#20  Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:12 am  Reply with quote + 
I saw the trailer yesterday, and all I can say is that I am excite. XD

Finally a new Wii game that really interests me.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 3 Page: 1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2161s
Index - Back to Top