Wii Kirby Game
[Replies: 59]  [Views: 10649]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General

fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#21  Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:04 pm  Reply with quote + 
I'm super excited for this, looks like it'll be quite great. New trailer is much more exciting looking then the old one.
Though I've not been a powerless sidekick in awhile heh heh heh. Speaking of which, I would've preferred the black tongue guy to waddle dee just for some dream land recognition, but whatever, it's offering enough to 64 (and perhaps superstar) that i'll let it pass. I'll be happy if I can solo it with the other characters too, especially metaknight, cause well he's metaknight.
View user profile Send Private Message
TokiAlbatou
Bomberman

Post#22  Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:34 pm  Reply with quote + 
Thanks for the update about it Razon. Holy crap that trailer looks friggin' awesome. Now I'm really looking forward it to now.
Birdyfan
Bombertrainee

Post#23  Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:34 pm  Reply with quote + 
Ventricle wrote:
Holy lord there's a Cowboy Kirby...and it's using a whip! I TOTALLY had that SAME idea. 8O
it looks like someone at hal labs thinks like you.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#24  Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:11 pm  Reply with quote + 
I am especially late to the party here, but this does indeed look pretty sweet. I like the assortment of playable characters; makes the gameplay more interesting. And... swallowing up your compatriots and shooting them at bosses? :cool: 

(And once again, a Kirby game is released late in the life of the current Nintendo console...)
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#25  Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:20 am  Reply with quote + 
plasm wrote:
I am especially late to the party here, but this does indeed look pretty sweet. I like the assortment of playable characters; makes the gameplay more interesting. And... swallowing up your compatriots and shooting them at bosses? :cool: 

(And once again, a Kirby game is released late in the life of the current Nintendo console...)

Yeah, although it looks like the other playable characters may be restricted to players 2-4 (notice how player 1 was always Kirby in the video?). I could be mistaken though, it'd be more interesting to be able to use the other characters. It would especially suck for players like me who are usually playing games by themselves.

But yeah, lookin' forward to it for sure.

Ventricle wrote:
Holy lord there's a Cowboy Kirby...and it's using a whip! I TOTALLY had that SAME idea. 8O

I thought it was obvious it was a nod to Indiana Jones.

I found it interesting that this hasn't been brought up at all, although I admit I only first saw of this just now. It appears to be a new DS Kirby game, although it appears to be a spinoff title that involves the use of multiple Kirbys (hence the name "Mass Attack" I suppose). Looks interesting too.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#26  Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:53 pm  Reply with quote + 
plasm wrote:
once again, a Kirby game is released late in the life of the current Nintendo console...)

That's generally a good thing in my eyes. Means the programmers have had time to familiarize with the hardware.

Soniti 254 wrote:
it looks like the other playable characters may be restricted to players 2-4

Yes, like in New Super Mario Bros Wii, with the first player necessarily having to be Mario while the others can choose freely. Except this time there will actually be a difference in gameplay.

Soniti 254 wrote:

All I'm gonna say is this game better provide the following from its GC roots:
1) Breathtaking, beautiful scenery
2) More rides than just wheelie
3) Unusual settings for Kirby like this
4) This guy (unless Hal feels its too similar to the boss they put in Brawl)
5) And most of all, a kickass plot leading up to this

Soniti 254 wrote:
I found it interesting that this hasn't been brought up at all, although I admit I only first saw of this just now. It appears to be a new DS Kirby game, although it appears to be a spinoff title that involves the use of multiple Kirbys (hence the name "Mass Attack" I suppose). Looks interesting too.

Eh, another "Kirby in name only" game in which the main character cannot copy enemy abilities.
There was a time in which Kirby could do that in any kind of game, even golf. Does Nintendo not know what "staple" means anymore?
Still, it looks like it may be fun.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#27  Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:07 pm  Reply with quote + 
Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
it looks like the other playable characters may be restricted to players 2-4

Yes, like in New Super Mario Bros Wii, with the first player necessarily having to be Mario while the others can choose freely. Except this time there will actually be a difference in gameplay.

I'm just hoping there's the ability to play as them on your own in some way, shape, or form. Even if you can't until after playing through it once or something (think Canvas Curse, for example).

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:

All I'm gonna say is this game better provide the following from its GC roots:
1) Breathtaking, beautiful scenery
2) More rides than just wheelie
3) Unusual settings for Kirby like this
4) This guy (unless Hal feels its too similar to the boss they put in Brawl)
5) And most of all, a kickass plot leading up to this

1) The trailer looked pretty good scenery wise. Perhaps not quite as fancy as those sceenshots, but definitely not bad and I'd say it's about as interesting as Air Ride's scenery (I loved how detailed the stages in Air Ride were).
2) Perhaps, although the trailer shows that you can still piggyback on one of the other players, like in the original GCN build.
3) I wouldn't worry too much about that. There are almost always some unique places in each Kirby game. Either way, I wouldn't really know what settings could be considered "usual" in this aspect.
4) Given how he has Triple D's emblem on him, may or may not. He'd have to have slight redesign changes to appear in the game and make sense. Seeing as Triple D is one of the playable characters in this game.
5) That'd be pretty badass, but each game usually has a unique and inspired endgame area (Rainbow Resort, Nova, or Ripple Star, anyone?).

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:

Eh, another "Kirby in name only" game in which the main character cannot copy enemy abilities.
There was a time in which Kirby could do that in any kind of game, even golf. Does Nintendo not know what "staple" means anymore?
Still, it looks like it may be fun.

This implies that Kirby's always had the copy ability (he didn't in the first game, if you don't recall) and/or this has been happening lately (which I don't think it has, last I checked. Unless Epic Yarn didn't but I haven't had the chance to play it yet).

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#28  Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:45 pm  Reply with quote + 
Soniti 254 wrote:

Holy crap, that is a little terrifying.

(And technically, this is a "copy" ability... Just not the same one :P)

Duke Serkol wrote:
plasm wrote:
once again, a Kirby game is released late in the life of the current Nintendo console...)
That's generally a good thing in my eyes. Means the programmers have had time to familiarize with the hardware.

This is true. Just taking note.
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#29  Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:51 am  Reply with quote + 
Soniti 254 wrote:
2) Perhaps, although the trailer shows that you can still piggyback on one of the other players, like in the original GCN build.

Which does make me hopeful that more of the GC game will get used in this.

Soniti 254 wrote:
4) Given how he has Triple D's emblem on him, may or may not. He'd have to have slight redesign changes to appear in the game and make sense. Seeing as Triple D is one of the playable characters in this game.

It's just a matter of changing one logo...

Soniti 254 wrote:
This implies that Kirby's always had the copy ability (he didn't in the first game, if you don't recall)

Mario could not survive dropping off a platform in Donkey Kong. Would you like them to go back to that?
The copy ability defines Kirby, without it he has no identity.

Soniti 254 wrote:
and/or this has been happening lately (which I don't think it has, last I checked. Unless Epic Yarn didn't but I haven't had the chance to play it yet).

And that's exactly the game I'm complaining about. It's a Kirby game in name only not just because Kirby does not have the ability to copy enemies in it but plain simply because it was not a Kirby game until later in development when they decided to slap Kirby in it (much like they did with Fox in Dinosaur Planet).
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#30  Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:33 am  Reply with quote + 
Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:

It's just a matter of changing one logo...

And hence why I said he needs a "slight redesign". I couldn't see too well in that screenshot, but being touched up a bit wouldn't hurt either.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
This implies that Kirby's always had the copy ability (he didn't in the first game, if you don't recall)

Mario could not survive dropping off a platform in Donkey Kong. Would you like them to go back to that?

That's not remotely the same thing. Besides, if you want to get really technical, in the newer games (Mario 64, Sunshine, and the Galaxy games in particular), Mario does take damage if he falls from a certain height. The amount of damage he takes is based on how high he fell. It's more or less the same concept.
I wouldn't go that far with the copy ability, as he's still recognizably and undoubtedly Kirby even without the copy ability. It's a signature ability, yes, but not a part of his identity.
Kirby doesn't always have the copy ability in each of the games though, depending on how the games play. For example, he does not have the copy ability in the original game. He also doesn't have copy abilities in the puzzle games (as they are just would not work in those kinds of games), or in Tilt 'n' Tumble. And although he had copy abilities to use in Milky Way Wishes, they worked completely differently from the norm and could not obtain them (excluding limited use ones) from enemies. And Canvas Curse also had Copy Abilities work completely differently then usual.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
and/or this has been happening lately (which I don't think it has, last I checked. Unless Epic Yarn didn't but I haven't had the chance to play it yet).

And that's exactly the game I'm complaining about. It's a Kirby game in name only not just because Kirby does not have the ability to copy enemies in it but plain simply because it was not a Kirby game until later in development when they decided to slap Kirby in it (much like they did with Fox in Dinosaur Planet).

Perhaps, but it does still look like and resemble a Kirby game. I'd assume it'd have a similar feeling while playing the game too. While your Star Fox Adventures example is a good example of how not to slap a character onto a game, there are some that do actually work.
Devil May Cry 2, for example, was originally an entirely different game unrelated to Devil May Cry at all. But Capcom changed the game sometime during development to make it more resemble DMC and it does look and feel like a DMC game.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#31  Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:29 am  Reply with quote + 
Soniti 254 wrote:
Duke Serkol wrote:

That's not remotely the same thing.

It certainly looks like it to me. Mario's main characteristic has always been that of being good at jumping, but in his very first game, he was unable to survive the slightest fall and could not use his jumps to harm enemies.
Similarly, Kirby's defining tract has been since his second game that of taking enemy abilities, whereas in his first game he could only use them as projectiles.

Soniti 254 wrote:
he's still recognizably and undoubtedly Kirby even without the copy ability. It's a signature ability, yes, but not a part of his identity.

Not really. That'd be the same as hacking Mario's sprite over Link and labeling a Zelda game Legend of Super Mario. Videogame characters are not just their appearances.

Soniti 254 wrote:
He also doesn't have copy abilities in the puzzle games (as they are just would not work in those kinds of games)

Well, obviously.

Soniti 254 wrote:
or in Tilt 'n' Tumble.

Unfortunately, because as Dream Course demonstrated it could very easily work.

Soniti 254 wrote:
although he had copy abilities to use in Milky Way Wishes, they worked completely differently from the norm and could not obtain them (excluding limited use ones) from enemies. And Canvas Curse also had Copy Abilities work completely differently then usual.

And I'm perfectly fine with that. In fact, it's exactly my point: you can innovate Kirby without having him lose his identity.

Soniti 254 wrote:
Perhaps, but it does still look like and resemble a Kirby game. I'd assume it'd have a similar feeling while playing the game too. While your Star Fox Adventures example is a good example of how not to slap a character onto a game, there are some that do actually work.

Are you aware that it is not even possible to die in Epic Yarn? It plays nothing like a Kirby game and it's look/style is uniquely its own (heck, I'd say it resembles Yoshi's Story more than it does Kirby).
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#32  Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:01 am  Reply with quote + 
Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
Duke Serkol wrote:

That's not remotely the same thing.

It certainly looks like it to me. Mario's main characteristic has always been that of being good at jumping, but in his very first game, he was unable to survive the slightest fall and could not use his jumps to harm enemies.
Similarly, Kirby's defining tract has been since his second game that of taking enemy abilities, whereas in his first game he could only use them as projectiles.

Meh, I still disagree. Even the first game still looked, felt, and played like a Kirby game, and thus I don't think his copy ability is that vital of a competent. It only seems that way because it's been expanded upon on nearly every other game. That's not to say I wouldn't disappointed by the lack of the ability, but if the rest of the game made up for it, I wouldn't mind that much after a while.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
he's still recognizably and undoubtedly Kirby even without the copy ability. It's a signature ability, yes, but not a part of his identity.

Not really. That'd be the same as hacking Mario's sprite over Link and labeling a Zelda game Legend of Super Mario. Videogame characters are not just their appearances.

Well yeah, but that's not what we're talking about. The overall game still has to look and feel like a game in the other series. Which I believe Epic Yarn does have (I'm going to stress again that I haven't played it, so it's based near entirely on screenshots and trailers that I have seen). Again, Devil May Cry 2 started as an entirely different game unrelated to first, but the end product is without a doubt a Devil May Cry game in look, feel, and of course playstyle.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
although he had copy abilities to use in Milky Way Wishes, they worked completely differently from the norm and could not obtain them (excluding limited use ones) from enemies. And Canvas Curse also had Copy Abilities work completely differently then usual.

And I'm perfectly fine with that. In fact, it's exactly my point: you can innovate Kirby without having him lose his identity.

And I insist that the ability isn't vital enough to be part of his "identity." Mega Man Legends didn't have copy weapons in the game at all, or even Robot Masters/Mavericks at all, but it still looked and felt like a Mega Man game.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:

Are you aware that it is not even possible to die in Epic Yarn? It plays nothing like a Kirby game and it's look/style is uniquely its own (heck, I'd say it resembles Yoshi's Story more than it does Kirby).

Seeing as I haven't played it, no I'm not. Although most Kirby games aren't typically very difficult anyway. You can say the same thing for other spinoffs as well though.

Recent stuff I'm into:

fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#33  Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:53 pm  Reply with quote + 
I just find it funny that mario is being used in this argument, as he is about the first to be in a reskin game, and he's seen numerous changes throughout the series, especially from the 2d to 3d jump. He's also been in a ton of games that could've been the same without him, ala dr mario and mario kart.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#34  Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:05 pm  Reply with quote + 
fireball87 wrote:
I just find it funny that mario is being used in this argument, as he is about the first to be in a reskin game, and he's seen numerous changes throughout the series, especially from the 2d to 3d jump. He's also been in a ton of games that could've been the same without him, ala dr mario and mario kart.

Now that you mention it, it is a little humorous. Not that it makes his points less significant or anything.

EDIT: Off topic, but over 600 posts now. Wee~

Recent stuff I'm into:

Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#35  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:31 pm  Reply with quote + 
Soniti 254 wrote:
Meh, I still disagree.

I'm okay with that ;)

Soniti 254 wrote:
The overall game still has to look and feel like a game in the other series. Which I believe Epic Yarn does have
Duke Serkol wrote:

Seeing as I haven't played it, no I'm not. Although most Kirby games aren't typically very difficult anyway.

Not very difficult yeah, but this one is literally impossible to lose (unless your patience runs out of course).

Soniti 254 wrote:
And I insist that the ability isn't vital enough to be part of his "identity." Mega Man Legends didn't have copy weapons in the game at all, or even Robot Masters/Mavericks at all, but it still looked and felt like a Mega Man game.

Not at all to me. Legends is a good game, but it was a completely separate entity only borrowing names and the main character design from Megaman.

fireball87 wrote:
I just find it funny that mario is being used in this argument, as he is about the first to be in a reskin game

You mean Super Mario Bros 2 USA? Yeah, that one is of course not an actual Mario game, but rather one on which Mario was slapped on. Not that I dislike Mario2, quite the contrary, but it didn't really seem necessary, the game could stand on its own merits... and who knows, maybe today Nintendo would have one more franchise.

fireball87 wrote:
he's seen numerous changes throughout the series, especially from the 2d to 3d jump.

That's true, but it's going back to its roots fortunately. I actually think it was a big mistake to make Mario a melee fighter in 64. I'm glad all those punches and kicks have been taken away. It's also a good thing that he no longer has that much health in Galaxy (unless he gets a mushroom which doubles it... just as mushrooms did in SMB, except without resizing him, sadly).

fireball87 wrote:
He's also been in a ton of games that could've been the same without him, ala dr mario and mario kart.

Yeah, but those aren't really Mario games, they are games in which Mario makes an appearence and he gets the title to boost sales. Like you said, Mario Kart could work just as well without having Mario in it. Shells could be easily replaced by, say, missiles as demonstrated in Diddy Kong Racing.
And to be honest I'm rather tired of these Mario "Random Activity" thing Nintendo has going on. Next thing you know we'll have Mario Finances, Mario Newsreporter and Mario Accountant. Especially since they are rapidly running out of sports.

Really, lots of people complain that Nintendo can't seem to come up with new franchises... it's not that they can't come up with new ideas, they just keep getting those absorbed in existing franchises.
Naturally then hardcore fans most often reject these completely different games as foreign bodies and the potential new franchise dissolves within the old one, often doing it harm in the process (like Starfox Adventures did to Starfox).
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#36  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:27 pm  Reply with quote + 
In some sense I wonder if I would've liked the Prince Fluff game as much as I liked Kirby's epic yarn, partially because I don't know how it would be different, but I know it would be (there are some very Kirby elements in places).

But more importantly then that, there's always this.

What would the world be without that?
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#37  Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:33 pm  Reply with quote + 
New trailer is about. You can see it here.

It's almost exactly the same as the first one. The only difference is it shows the actual name for the game (Kirby's Return to Dream Land in the US of A and Kirby's Adventure Wii in Europe).

Wiki also has projected release dates for the US and EU releases: October 24 2011 and December 2011 respectively. If that's true, the game is only about a couple of months away from now. Interestingly, there's nothing regarding the inevitable Japanese release date yet.

According to Wiki as well, the game's plot focuses on the Kirby gang looking and gathering lost parts for an alien spaceship that crashed.

Also mentioned on Wiki is that you also have the ability to play as other Kirbys, if for some reason you didn't want to play as Meta Knight, Triple D, or Waddle Dee. Something else I just caught is that the Waddle Dee is using a spear (similar to Canvas Curse and Super Star Ultra). Hopefully, it's possible to play as those character outside of players 2-4. I'd be greatly disappointed if that's not the case.

EDIT:
I'd also like to point out how awesome the cover art for the game looks so far.
[Collapse Text]

Recent stuff I'm into:

Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#38  Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:57 am  Reply with quote + 
Mph... how annoying, I liked "Kirby Returns to Dreamland" better as a title.
Instead we get another "Insert old Nintendo game name" Wii.

Ah well, other than that, looking forward to it.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#39  Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:52 pm  Reply with quote + 
Duke Serkol wrote:
Mph... how annoying, I liked "Kirby Returns to Dreamland" better as a title.
Instead we get another "Insert old Nintendo game name" Wii.

Ah well, other than that, looking forward to it.

It's just a name, dude. lol It's not like it's going to seriously affect your experience with the game overall. It's not like they're calling "Kirby's Epic Quest for Fluffy Marshmallows" or something like that. Actually I wouldn't mind playing that game lol Well, if the name bothers you that much, you could always import it I guess.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#40  Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:36 am  Reply with quote + 
Nah, importing has gotten way too complicated ever since home consoles were given blasted firmware updates.

I liked "Kirby returnS to Dreamland" with returnS (note the S) before Dreamland because it implied something. That it was Kirby who was returning to Dreamland and not just us (unlike say Donkey Kong Contry Returns, in which it is the game Donkey Kong Country that is returning, while the characters have never left the place).

I mean, every now and then it would be kind of nice for a game's title to have something to do with the game's specific story, you know?

Consider the Castlevania games, they are literally named with the following formula "musical term + emo/gothic reference", thus resulting in the various Symphony of the Night, Harmony of Dissonance, Aria of Sorrow...

They aren't bad titles, but you could switch them around and no one would realize it (in fact they kind of did when bringing them out of Japan).
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 2 of 3 Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2504s
Index - Back to Top