[Replies: 49]  [Views: 7008]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General

Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#1  Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:25 am  Reply with quote + 
The article wrote:
Guess Capcom legend Keiji Inafune wasn't kidding around when he said he hated his job : the Capcom exec said today he's leaving the company he's been with for 23 years at the end of the month.

His full job title had been Head of R&D Management Group, Consumer Games R&D Division and Contents Management Division (phew). In a blog post titled "Sayonara", Inafune explains why.

"A manager's work means evaluating your subordinates and speaking your dreams. Anyone who can do both of those can be a manager. I thought that when I came here, and I still think that now."

The problem being, Inafune believes he can no longer do both those things.

Reached for comment Friday morning, Capcom had this to say:

"Mr. Inafune submitted his resignation on Tuesday October 19th. His resignation is effective from the end of November, but given outstanding vacation time he will leave the company at the end of October."

Read all about it here.

I'm... kind of shocked by this. I guess I can kind of see where he's coming from with this, but still. Leaving a company you have been with for 23 years and literally being one of the most powerful people in the company? Seems kind of rash, but hey! Who am I to judge? Regardless, I wish him luck on his quest.

Although he is best known for his involvement in the Mega Man franchise (often mistakenly referred to as "Mega Man's Creator" or the like), he has also worked on other titles including the Dead Rising franchise, light involvement with Resident Evil, among many others. He is also known by now for his controversial statement regarding the Japanese gaming industry.

What are your thoughts?

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
View user profile Send Private Message
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#2  Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:37 pm  Reply with quote + 
He claimed the videogame industry was finished didn't he? Well he certainly isn't contributing to a solution here.

Well in all honesty I don't understand why someone would give up a good job title like that. He must have something decent lined up already. It may also be some kind of conflict of interest with his superiors. Who knows? He might just not be happy with the way the company has been doing things lately. With what I've been hearing lately I can't say I'm happy with what they've done lately either.

I can't say I'm devastated or anything. I haven't picked up any megaman games or anything in recent years, so i guess it doesn't bother me much. I'm semi interested to see what he'll end up doing later.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#3  Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:21 pm  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
He claimed the videogame industry was finished didn't he? Well he certainly isn't contributing to a solution here.

Actually, that comment of his was directed towards the Japanese video game industry, not the entire video game industry. But you are right that he isn't helping to fix the problem by quitting.

Reggy wrote:
Well in all honesty I don't understand why someone would give up a good job title like that. He must have something decent lined up already. It may also be some kind of conflict of interest with his superiors. Who knows? He might just not be happy with the way the company has been doing things lately. With what I've been hearing lately I can't say I'm happy with what they've done lately either.

Yeah, I'm not sure why he chose to quit Capcom now of all times. Given his time, experience, and influence he has within the company, it doesn't make any sense for him to pack up his bags and just leave like he pretty much did. Given the last few things he has said about Capcom, he didn't sound exactly thrilled to be working with them, so maybe he just couldn't take it anymore. Maybe he'll go join his fellow ex-Capcom employees over at Platinum Games. That would be neat and I'd think I'd actually like to see that. I can't imagine it would be too difficult for him to find a job, either way.

Reggy wrote:
I can't say I'm devastated or anything. I haven't picked up any megaman games or anything in recent years, so i guess it doesn't bother me much. I'm semi interested to see what he'll end up doing later.

Same here. I mostly was just shocked that he just literally quit the company right there and then. Kind of a shame too since Capcom is finally working on a third Mega Man Legends game, which I'm pretty sure that was something Inafune wanted to do for a long time now. I'd also like to see what the man wants to do now now that he's free from Capcom.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#4  Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:31 pm  Reply with quote + 
I've been rather pissed at this guy lately. He seems to have gone the Miyamoto school of thought "The less plot the better".
And so we got MM9 and 10 with essentially the same plot that was used for MM4 to 6 already "Wily pretends to be innocent but is eventually revealed to be behind it all" (and don't get me started on the loss of charge buster and slide) as well as a game like Universe that not only make no sense (Ryu and Arthur? ...why??) but is are based for storyline and other things on MM2. For those who don't know MM2's plot was "Wily does it again with eight robots of his own".

And then he kept refusing to continue from where they left off in Power Fighters with regard to connections between Classic and X series, stating that they would make the classic series too dark (even going so far as to say that Super Adventure Rockman is his most disliked classic Megaman game because helicopters with humans in them are shot down... yeah that's clearly the game's biggest flaw <_<)

He'd even gone and said "There won't be a Megaman X9" essentially giving X fans the middle finger.

So yeah... I'm certainly not crying over here.

Now if only we could get this out of Korea...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPqqlyGd2Rc
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#5  Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:33 pm  Reply with quote + 
Duke Serkol wrote:
I've been rather pissed at this guy lately. He seems to have gone the Miyamoto school of thought "The less plot the better".
And so we got MM9 and 10 with essentially the same plot that was used for MM4 to 6 already "Wily pretends to be innocent but is eventually revealed to be behind it all" (and don't get me started on the loss of charge buster and slide) as well as a game like Universe that not only make no sense (Ryu and Arthur? ...why??) but is are based for storyline and other things on MM2. For those who don't know MM2's plot was "Wily does it again with eight robots of his own".

And then he kept refusing to continue from where they left off in Power Fighters with regard to connections between Classic and X series, stating that they would make the classic series too dark (even going so far as to say that Super Adventure Rockman is his most disliked classic Megaman game because helicopters with humans in them are shot down... yeah that's clearly the game's biggest flaw <_<)

Sheesh, dude. No offense, but you seem to take the Mega Man canon a bit too seriously. These games were never about the story, they were about the gameplay.

Duke Serkol wrote:
He'd even gone and said "There won't be a Megaman X9" essentially giving X fans the middle finger.

If other X fans are like me, they'd probably respond with a sigh of relief.

Honestly, if you're really that concerned about the story for the franchise, it's probably better off that there isn't a X9. As much as I liked the X series (minus 7), there were more holes in the series' plot then there are in Swiss cheese. With each new entry, it only added more plotholes, rather then filling them (they stopped explaining how Sigma keeps coming back a long time ago, Zero was revived not once but twice throughout the games, and even Vile was revived in X8 purely as fan service).

If you're into story, the Legends games seem to have a solid plot (based on what I have played anyway). Perhaps you can try those if you haven't already? Sure, it's not really exactly like Mega Man gameplay wise, but comparing that to X7, it's a million times better.

As for the video, the idea of a Mega Man based MMO is both interesting and frightening (how are they going to make a game like that work?). Also, I can only foresee this having even more plotholes then before (why are characters that were introduced in X4 (Iris) and X5 (Ayla, Signes) in what appears to be in classic Mega Man universe?).

Recent stuff I'm into:

Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#6  Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:39 pm  Reply with quote + 
Oh wow! That teaser video was awesome!

Not sure if I can say I'm excited about Mega Man as an MMO. Dunno if that can really work well, but man that video was friggin awesome. They should just take that and turn it into an anime series...
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#7  Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:45 pm  Reply with quote + 
An MMO in a region outside your reach? Now that sounds familiar.

If only EA would get the Dungeon Keeper Online over here instead of China where their actual fanbase is but then again it probably sucks anyways... uhh, yeah enough about my problems :P

I don't really care about those plotholes in the X Series. Hell, I barely even pay attention to them, yeah it is all about the gameplay. I would like to see an X9 following the gameplay of X8 as I liked it a lot, quite fun.

I heard they planned to re-make all the X Games like they did Maverick Hunter X, I would have liked to see it. It looked like they would have gotten it better this time around, with the characters and plot (If my memory is correct then the plot too, yes) improved.

Was the plot improved in that re-make? I can't trust my memory, it sucks and lies to me.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#8  Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:56 pm  Reply with quote + 
DarkFire4114 wrote:
I don't really care about those plotholes in the X Series. Hell, I barely even pay attention to them, yeah it is all about the gameplay. I would like to see an X9 following the gameplay of X8 as I liked it a lot, quite fun.

X8 was a pretty good game, had some fun with it.

DarKfire4114 wrote:
I heard they planned to re-make all the X Games like they did Maverick Hunter X, I would have liked to see it. It looked like they would have gotten it better this time around, with the characters and plot (If my memory is correct then the plot too, yes) improved.

Was the plot improved in that re-make? I can't trust my memory, it sucks and lies to me.

They originally were planning on remaking a large portion at least of the classic and X series on PSP. However, apparently poor sales for both entries have caused the project to halt indefinitely. And with Mr. Inafune gone, these projects may never finish.

Eh, not really. It's pretty much the same story, except there's more dialouge and such. The Mavericks actually have something of a backstory to them and X and Zero are already a couple the best of friends (whereas in the original it was more of a subordinate and his superior officer kind of thing) but that's about it.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#9  Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:58 pm  Reply with quote + 
We always want to remember things better then they may actually have been. lol

I never played the PSP games. I just keep playing the old ones mostly.
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#10  Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:00 am  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:

I don't even have a PSP >.< I just watched a walkthrough of it.

Also, Soniti, you forgot to mention that Vile is playable :P Plot was changed a bit, based on what I saw about that "Day of Sigma" how Cane apparently died, yet he was alive in the original X2 and stuff.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#11  Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:09 am  Reply with quote + 
DarkFire4114 wrote:
Regulus 777 wrote:

I don't even have a PSP >.< I just watched a walkthrough of it.

Also, Soniti, you forgot to mention that Vile is playable :P Plot was changed a bit, based on what I saw about that "Day of Sigma" how Cane apparently died, yet he was alive in the original X2 and stuff.

I thought we were talking just about plot. I know Vile's playable (he's a pretty awesome character to play as, btw).

I forgot about Cain. lol He's just that much of a unimportant character.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Mighty
Bomberman

Post#12  Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:09 am  Reply with quote + 
Is Inafune the same guy who started Monster Hunter or is that someone else from Capcom? o-o
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#13  Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:19 am  Reply with quote + 
No, Keiji Inafune was not involved with any of the Monster Hunter titles in any way.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#14  Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:58 pm  Reply with quote + 
Soniti 254 wrote:
Sheesh, dude. No offense, but you seem to take the Mega Man canon a bit too seriously.

None taken. It is my prerogative as a fan to take plots seriously and complain when they are not handled properly.

Soniti 254 wrote:
These games were never about the story, they were about the gameplay.

Says you. To me, it's both. And if you consider that they released several guide books specifically for the plots of the various Megaman series it's clearly not just my opinion.

Soniti 254 wrote:
Duke Serkol wrote:

*lol* Maybe so yeah, I actually consider X7 to be the worst Megaman game (of any series) ever made. But that doesn't mean they can't (and shouldn't) do more good X games like they used to.

Soniti 254 wrote:
Honestly, if you're really that concerned about the story for the franchise, it's probably better off that there isn't a X9. As much as I liked the X series (minus 7), there were more holes in the series' plot then there are in Swiss cheese. With each new entry, it only added more plotholes, rather then filling them (they stopped explaining how Sigma keeps coming back a long time ago, Zero was revived not once but twice throughout the games, and even Vile was revived in X8 purely as fan service).

Yeah, storyline wise they really screwed up with the games past 5 (X6 and onward). What they should do is entrust the story to someone serious that understands what's happened so far (the right and the wrong) and let this guy work on it without interference (the reason the storyline got screwed up was because Inafune meant for it to end with X5 and Capcom decided to keep going without bothering to properly find a way to do so or even just consult him on how to go about it).
Although... those points you raised well, they aren't all real issues. Sigma's continued return doesn't need explaining since he can exist as a virus. Rather his sudden inability to return does (supposedly it's because the copy reploids on the moon backstabbed him, but it's not clear at all). Vile in X8 was rebuilt like he was in X3, I see no problem there (rahter in his characterization towards X). But yeah, turning Zero into Kenny was retarded.

Soniti 254 wrote:
If you're into story, the Legends games seem to have a solid plot (based on what I have played anyway). Perhaps you can try those if you haven't already?

I need to, yes. I only played the first and seeing as a new one's coming along I definitely need to do some catching up.

Soniti 254 wrote:
As for the video, the idea of a Mega Man based MMO is both interesting and frightening

Yeah, I agree to that.

Soniti 254 wrote:
(how are they going to make a game like that work?). Also, I can only foresee this having even more plotholes then before (why are characters that were introduced in X4 (Iris) and X5 (Ayla, Signes) in what appears to be in classic Mega Man universe?).

Possibly, but from what I've seen so far a lot of attention is being put in setting and character background.
How the characters from the classic series (except Duo) will appear in the game is yet to be explained (I'm hoping time travel), but as for Iris, the X and Zero that users will play as will actually be a freaking clone army (this can be alternatively lame or unbelievably awesome, depending on how they play their cards), so I assume Iris (and Colonel because it seems he'll be in as well) will too be copies.
Like I was saying, lot's of attention is being igven to character's background. The Duo copies (he's a playable character too) are not just being randomly thrown in, they actually explained all of his backstory (robot from space etc.)

Being this a MMORPG, odds are this kind of attention to detail will drecrease drastically after a few months, but eh... one can hope (or could if we had any chance to actually play it).

DarkFire4114 wrote:
Plot was changed a bit, based on what I saw about that "Day of Sigma" how Cane apparently died, yet he was alive in the original X2 and stuff.

Yeah just another random change that only serves to piss off the fans...
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#15  Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:41 pm  Reply with quote + 
Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
These games were never about the story, they were about the gameplay.

Says you. To me, it's both. And if you consider that they released several guide books specifically for the plots of the various Megaman series it's clearly not just my opinion.

All I meant was that, in general, the story in Mega Man is never really the strong focus of the games. The story is really just the excuse that the game exists; that's why every classic Mega Man game is pretty much "Wily's up to no good again and he must be stopped." Not at all unlike the classic Sonic games.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
Duke Serkol wrote:

*lol* Maybe so yeah, I actually consider X7 to be the worst Megaman game (of any series) ever made. But that doesn't mean they can't (and shouldn't) do more good X games like they used to.

Didn't mean to put it out like that. What I meant is that, at this point, the Mega Man X story is pretty much beyond help, and any effort they'd make to it just add more questions and problems rather then answers. It's been that way since X6. I'd play an X9 as long as it doesn't end up like X7.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:

Yeah, storyline wise they really screwed up with the games past 5 (X6 and onward). What they should do is entrust the story to someone serious that understands what's happened so far (the right and the wrong) and let this guy work on it without interference (the reason the storyline got screwed up was because Inafune meant for it to end with X5 and Capcom decided to keep going without bothering to properly find a way to do so or even just consult him on how to go about it).

I can generally agree with this, but Capcom doesn't exactly have a good record for telling good saga based stories. On their own, ignoring the events that happened beforehand, the stories of each game isn't that bad, but when put together it's a giant mess. The only real way to make the X storyline better is to reboot it, or continue the Maverick Hunter X project and fix any plotholes and such, and that isn't gonna happen. It doesn't matter if the later chapters are written better then the previous ones, unless the whole book is written better, it's not going to be a very good read.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Although... those points you raised well, they aren't all real issues. Sigma's continued return doesn't need explaining since he can exist as a virus. Rather his sudden inability to return does (supposedly it's because the copy reploids on the moon backstabbed him, but it's not clear at all). Vile in X8 was rebuilt like he was in X3, I see no problem there (rahter in his characterization towards X). But yeah, turning Zero into Kenny was retarded.

So you didn't find it strange that Sigma always has a similar appearance in each game? Somebody or something must keep making a new body for him, cause I really doubt Sigma just happens to have a ton of spare bodies for him to use in his basement somewhere. At least in X2, 3, and 6 it was explained that a villain purposely rebuilt him (even then in X6 he literally came out of nowhere). X4, 5, or even 8 (I can only assume 7 is the same case, seeing as I didn't finish it and probably never will) didn't even as much as bother to explain that.

Who rebuilt Vile again and why was he rebuilt in first place?

Or how does Dr. Light's hologram know of Zero or Ayla or how does he seem to make more suits of armor for X to use, despite being dead for over a hundred years, or how it suddenly developed some kind of personality by X5 (maybe even earlier, I don't remember)? These things never bothered you?

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
(how are they going to make a game like that work?). Also, I can only foresee this having even more plotholes then before (why are characters that were introduced in X4 (Iris) and X5 (Ayla, Signes) in what appears to be in classic Mega Man universe?).

Possibly, but from what I've seen so far a lot of attention is being put in setting and character background.
How the characters from the classic series (except Duo) will appear in the game is yet to be explained (I'm hoping time travel), but as for Iris, the X and Zero that users will play as will actually be a freaking clone army (this can be alternatively lame or unbelievably awesome, depending on how they play their cards), so I assume Iris (and Colonel because it seems he'll be in as well) will too be copies.
Like I was saying, lot's of attention is being igven to character's background. The Duo copies (he's a playable character too) are not just being randomly thrown in, they actually explained all of his backstory (robot from space etc.)

They explained the ability to play as certain characters as being clones? That's just so ridiculously cliched and overused. Suppose it's the only one that works without creating more questions, but still...

Duke Serkol wrote:
DarkFire4114 wrote:
Plot was changed a bit, based on what I saw about that "Day of Sigma" how Cane apparently died, yet he was alive in the original X2 and stuff.

Yeah just another random change that only serves to piss off the fans...

Again, Dr. Cain wasn't a very important character anyway. I completely forget about his existence when I play the games until I see him. Besides, in the remake, the guy was clearly on life support and on the verge of death. Even if he wasn't killed in the explosion, I doubt he'd be alive by the time X2 takes place.

EDIT: Fixed a silly error on my half.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#16  Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:54 pm  Reply with quote + 
Dr.Cain was really important in the first game's prologue. Pretty much everything in the series is happening because of him. He's the trigger that created most of the reploids using X as a model. So we can't really say he's not important but after the first game I guess his importance and presence in the series fades away and is forgotten.

I remember the first X game's story being really good. I never had the SNES manual for the game so I don't know if it's the same or not but in the PC version manual I remember there being a sort of journal with multiple entries by Dr. Cain explaining how it all begins. It was really enjoyable to read. It's too bad they couldn't keep up the great story in later games cause there was really great potential for it if they could've linked em all up well.

*EDIT*

I dug up those notes from the manual in case someone wasn't familiar with them. They do make a nice prologue for the game.

http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Mega_Man_X_%28video_game%29
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#17  Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:42 pm  Reply with quote + 
Soniti 254 wrote:
All I meant was that, in general, the story in Mega Man is never really the strong focus of the games. The story is really just the excuse that the game exists

Yeah well, that's what I call a troublesome lack of effort on the programmer's part. It's kind of like those people that criticize some movies saying "Oh sure it's great, but if you take away the soundtrack it's not nearly as good." It obviously wouldn't be, because they're taking away part of the experience. Same is for videogames. Just because they can exist without a real plot doesn't mean they should.
The industry isn't doing anyone, not us nor itself, a favor by largely dismissing storylines as an unnecessary aspect of videogames.

Soniti 254 wrote:
Didn't mean to put it out like that. What I meant is that, at this point, the Mega Man X story is pretty much beyond help, and any effort they'd make to it just add more questions and problems rather then answers.

Yeah, unlike the classic series (which already had a direction, namely going into the X one) the story of the X series has already outlived its original purpose and intent... so the only way to go would be a completely different direction, forgetting Sigma and all attached plot threads.

Soniti 254 wrote:
Capcom doesn't exactly have a good record for telling good saga based stories.

Oh yeah, I won't argue against that. Just consider the wild retcons the plot of the Street Fighter Series has gone through...

Soniti 254 wrote:
On their own, ignoring the events that happened beforehand, the stories of each game isn't that bad, but when put together it's a giant mess. The only real way to make the X storyline better is to reboot it, or continue the Maverick Hunter X project and fix any plotholes and such, and that isn't gonna happen.

Things were going rather well up to X5. it's too bad there's no chance they'll remake just the games from X6 onward (nor is there any that they'll get that far remaking the previous five first).

Soniti 254 wrote:
It doesn't matter if the later chapters are written better then the previous ones, unless the whole book is written better, it's not going to be a very good read.

Yeah, that's why I say the only way is a completely new direction, not to mention that the ties to the Zero series have already been muddled up enough.
I think they may actually have tried to do so with Command Mission, but nothing more came of it.

Soniti 254 wrote:
So you didn't find it strange that Sigma always has a similar appearance in each game? Somebody or something must keep making a new body for him, cause I really doubt Sigma just happens to have a ton of spare bodies for him to use in his basement somewhere.

Don't think so, uh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVMctYNyMlw

Even if Sigma didn't have spare bodies like that hidden all over the planet (and really I would if I was him), he's a virus, he can bend the will of other reploids to make him a new body (like he did with Doppler). He can probably even take control of an automated factory and make himself a temporary one if need be.

Soniti 254 wrote:

Sigma? Lumine? Vile was a legend among hunters before he became a maverick. That's reason enough to give him another chance to make X and Zero's lifes miserable.

Soniti 254 wrote:
Or how does Dr. Light's hologram know of Zero or Ayla or how does he seem to make more suits of armor for X to use, despite being dead for over a hundred years, or how it suddenly developed some kind of personality by X5 (maybe even earlier, I don't remember)? These things never bothered you?

Most people assumed Light has an A.I. replica of himself making these capsules. In Japan he never spoke like a recorded message that was Capcom USA screwing up.
The real reason though it seems was only revealed in the Zero series, more specifically its storyline guides. Now that does piss me off. I shouldn't have to buy books to understand these things.

Soniti 254 wrote:
They explained the ability to play as certain characters as being clones? That's just so ridiculously cliched and overused. Suppose it's the only one that works without creating more questions, but still...

Yeah, considering there's going to be countless players meeting each other, it was either clones or creating new "classes of characters" that only had a superficial resemblance to the originals yet in the end played pretty much the same... I'm glad they're going with the clones.

Soniti 254 wrote:
Again, Dr. Cain wasn't a very important character anyway. I completely forget about his existence when I play the games until I see him. Besides, in the remake, the guy was clearly on life support and on the verge of death. Even if he wasn't killed in the explosion, I doubt he'd be alive by the time X2 takes place.

But what good does it do for the remake to kill him? Does it serve a point? Does it help fix a plothole?
No.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#18  Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:27 pm  Reply with quote + 
Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
All I meant was that, in general, the story in Mega Man is never really the strong focus of the games. The story is really just the excuse that the game exists

Yeah well, that's what I call a troublesome lack of effort on the programmer's part. It's kind of like those people that criticize some movies saying "Oh sure it's great, but if you take away the soundtrack it's not nearly as good." It obviously wouldn't be, because they're taking away part of the experience. Same is for videogames. Just because they can exist without a real plot doesn't mean they should.
The industry isn't doing anyone, not us nor itself, a favor by largely dismissing storylines as an unnecessary aspect of videogames.

If you're talking about video games now, then yeah. But these games were originally made in the 80s-early 90s. Video games, at that point, were pretty exactly as the name implied. Stories didn't become a serious part of a non-RPG related game until the Super NES/Sega Genesis era and even then the story was only there to provide a background for the game.

Mega Man 9 and 10, for all intents and purposes, were homages to the original material in nearly every way. They were made as though they were brand new Nintendo games. The simplistic stories were no exception to this rule.

Duke Derkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
Didn't mean to put it out like that. What I meant is that, at this point, the Mega Man X story is pretty much beyond help, and any effort they'd make to it just add more questions and problems rather then answers.

Yeah, unlike the classic series (which already had a direction, namely going into the X one) the story of the X series has already outlived its original purpose and intent... so the only way to go would be a completely different direction, forgetting Sigma and all attached plot threads.

No disagreement here. That'd probably the only way to make a new X game without making more plotholes and such.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
On their own, ignoring the events that happened beforehand, the stories of each game isn't that bad, but when put together it's a giant mess. The only real way to make the X storyline better is to reboot it, or continue the Maverick Hunter X project and fix any plotholes and such, and that isn't gonna happen.

Things were going rather well up to X5. it's too bad there's no chance they'll remake just the games from X6 onward (nor is there any that they'll get that far remaking the previous five first).

As I said before, considering that the remakes of original Mega Man and X didn't sell as much as Capcom hoped and Inafune out of the picture, I'd be very surprised if they continued the Powered Up or Maverick Hunter X projects at this point.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
It doesn't matter if the later chapters are written better then the previous ones, unless the whole book is written better, it's not going to be a very good read.

Yeah, that's why I say the only way is a completely new direction, not to mention that the ties to the Zero series have already been muddled up enough.
I think they may actually have tried to do so with Command Mission, but nothing more came of it.

I can generally agree with this.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
So you didn't find it strange that Sigma always has a similar appearance in each game? Somebody or something must keep making a new body for him, cause I really doubt Sigma just happens to have a ton of spare bodies for him to use in his basement somewhere.

Don't think so, uh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVMctYNyMlw

Even if Sigma didn't have spare bodies like that hidden all over the planet (and really I would if I was him), he's a virus, he can bend the will of other reploids to make him a new body (like he did with Doppler). He can probably even take control of an automated factory and make himself a temporary one if need be.

You bring up some valid points here. To go into something a bit unrelated, to be quite honest, instead of just leaving hidden bodies for myself to take, I'd make most of them go and fight for me. Seriously, if I had a ton of spare bodies to use like Sigma apparently has, I'd make much better use of them and make my own Sigma army, rather then just get killed by pesky Maverick Hunters and go take a new body. I suppose Sigma is simply too obsessed with revenge to actually do this.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:

Sigma? Lumine? Vile was a legend among hunters before he became a maverick. That's reason enough to give him another chance to make X and Zero's lifes miserable.

Perhaps, but he still got his ass kicked by X and/or Zero twice before X8. I somehow doubted that three would be a charm in this case, especially when the only real difference is that he had a green color scheme.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:

Most people assumed Light has an A.I. replica of himself making these capsules. In Japan he never spoke like a recorded message that was Capcom USA screwing up.
The real reason though it seems was only revealed in the Zero series, more specifically its storyline guides. Now that does piss me off. I shouldn't have to buy books to understand these things.

I haven't read any of the guidebooks, so I can't really comment on it. With the guidebooks though, that's just typical Capcom fixing any plotholes or answering any unanswered questions. They do that with the Resident Evil/Biohazard franchise as well.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:

Yeah, considering there's going to be countless players meeting each other, it was either clones or creating new "classes of characters" that only had a superficial resemblance to the originals yet in the end played pretty much the same... I'm glad they're going with the clones.

Actually, I think it would've been neater to be able to create a character. Maybe have the original characters being NPCs you can invite to your party. I may just be a nut regarding character creation though. Would've made more sense then just flat out using clones, but that's just my opinion.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:

But what good does it do for the remake to kill him? Does it serve a point? Does it help fix a plothole?
No.

I think that Maverick Hunter X was more of a "reimagining" of the same story, rather then a exact retelling. So certain things can be different. They changed X and Zero's relationship to being best of friends already when it was originally a "subordinate and his/her respected higher-up" kind of thing, for example. Or changing Vile so he wasn't actually working for Sigma and instead is just doing his own thing. Or even how Sigma got the scars on his face. Making Dr. Cain much closer to death certainly isn't that much of a big deal. I'd say that his legacy (not even sure if that's the right word I'm looking for) is much more important then the actual character himself. His appearances in the other games he appeared in could very well be replaced with someone else, that's about how important he was.

Took me so long to write this I got booted. lol

Recent stuff I'm into:

Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#19  Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:57 pm  Reply with quote + 
Soniti 254 wrote:
Mega Man 9 and 10, for all intents and purposes, were homages to the original material in nearly every way. They were made as though they were brand new Nintendo games. The simplistic stories were no exception to this rule.

That's probably the idea yes. But should the bad habit of reusing the same plot really be part of this homages? MM1, 3 and 4 had good plots. Then came 5 and 6 that re-used the same plot as 4. And that's the plot 9 and 10 also use. It's not a bad plot on its own, but it's been done to death.

Soniti 254 wrote:
to be quite honest, instead of just leaving hidden bodies for myself to take, I'd make most of them go and fight for me. Seriously, if I had a ton of spare bodies to use like Sigma apparently has, I'd make much better use of them and make my own Sigma army, rather then just get killed by pesky Maverick Hunters and go take a new body. I suppose Sigma is simply too obsessed with revenge to actually do this.

Haha, I suppose so... maybe Sigma wasn't able to pull it off by himself. Controlling many bodies at once. Unless you meant make each body independent in thought, but then how would he keep them subordinate to him?
And it's funny because this is ultimately what he attempted pulling off with the Copy Reploids in X8 and it was his downfall (because they did, apparently, backstab him).

Soniti 254 wrote:
I haven't read any of the guidebooks, so I can't really comment on it. With the guidebooks though, that's just typical Capcom fixing any plotholes or answering any unanswered questions. They do that with the Resident Evil/Biohazard franchise as well.

And Street Fighter too.
To give you the gist of it, as far as I understand the universe of Megaman operates in the same way a computer program does. To everything that is or was corresponds some kind of "code" in a cyberspace (the one seen extensively in Zero 3). This is a natural phenomenon not to be confused with the computer cyberspace of X4's Cyber Peacock and MMXtreme Cybermission.
The code that corresponds to the consciousness of any sentient being (natural or artificial) is not gone upon death, and it seems particularly gifted individuals are still able to influence the world of the living as mere "soul data" (you may remember soul data being mentioned in MMXtreme2).
So yeah... it appears Dr. Light is literally a "scientifically explained ghost" that's still helping X from beyond the grave.
Cyberspace is supposedly also the explanation for the Sigma Virus manifesting itself in the real world in X5. It's so powerful it causes them to sort of overlap, like Omega does in Zero3.

Soniti 254 wrote:
Actually, I think it would've been neater to be able to create a character. Maybe have the original characters being NPCs you can invite to your party. I may just be a nut regarding character creation though. Would've made more sense then just flat out using clones, but that's just my opinion.

Perhaps they'll let players customize their characters. That would be the ideal, but either way I'm glad the character's abilities are going to be the same as in the X games (rather than have them downlplayed so the original character can remain "legendary") without making it look like just any reploid could have the same abilities as X and Zero.

Soniti 254 wrote:
I think that Maverick Hunter X was more of a "reimagining" of the same story, rather then a exact retelling. So certain things can be different. They changed X and Zero's relationship to being best of friends already when it was originally a "subordinate and his/her respected higher-up" kind of thing, for example. Or changing Vile so he wasn't actually working for Sigma and instead is just doing his own thing. Or even how Sigma got the scars on his face. Making Dr. Cain much closer to death certainly isn't that much of a big deal.

Yeah but none of those other things really conflict with later games. Cain's death does, and it was completely unnecessary.
Considering what were the odds of actually remaking the entire series, they should have allowed the game to be swapped with the original MMX1 as the beginning of the series without screwing that up. Especially because, as I said, that particular change does not serve any purpose at all.
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#20  Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:11 pm  Reply with quote + 
Soniti254 wrote:
Perhaps, but he still got his ass kicked by X and/or Zero twice before X8. I somehow doubted that three would be a charm in this case, especially when the only real difference is that he had a green color scheme.

You should not question the power of Green. How dare you not fear Green. Green will make you his slave for that D:<

GREEN RULES YOU
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 3 Page: 1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.3332s
Index - Back to Top