Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Page: 1, 2  Next
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General

Ashtarth
Bomberdude

Post#1  Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:31 pm  Reply with quote + 
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/9016/1277074871532.jpg

*Giggle*

In all seriousness, discuss. Does this mean that the Paper Mario series never happened either? :X
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#2  Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:23 am  Reply with quote + 
That's an interesting opinion.

However, is it not possible for this "show" to be a retelling of Mario's last adventure? It's not entirely implausible.

Not to mention Super Mario World has some of the same things going on (platform and obstacles used by machinery).

As for Paper Mario, I've always felt that Paper Mario is a slightly different continuity from the other Mario games (partly because the characters are represented as flat as paper).

Mario's always had this sort of "showtime" feel about it. Even Mario 64 had a camera man following him around the whole time.

So yeah, my opinion is that they all actually happened. When put into this prospective, I'd say the games are just "retellings" of Mario's latest adventure.

Mario 2 may or may not have really happened though. That was just a dream.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
View user profile Send Private Message
Hammer Bomber
Bomberman

Post#3  Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:34 am  Reply with quote + 
A reference to the canon of super mario 3 in the Super Mario World manual

Mysterious Sunken Ship

This is a strange looking sunken ship. Haven't you seen it somewhere else
before? That's right, in Super Mario Bros. 3, Koopa and his kids used a
flying ship to make life tough for Mario. I wouldn't be surprised if Bowser
is lurking somewhere nearby.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#4  Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:46 am  Reply with quote + 
Soniti 254 wrote:
Mario's always had this sort of "showtime" feel about it. Even Mario 64 had a camera man following him around the whole time.

This is true. I guess I hadn't thought of it that way.

As for Mario 2, that was like a Western character-swap of a Japanese game... sort of like Wario Blast and Pac in Time... And it was a dream, so who knows.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#5  Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:50 am  Reply with quote + 
Dark Zaphe wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:

This is true. I guess I hadn't thought of it that way.

As for Mario 2, that was like a Western character-swap of a Japanese game... sort of like Wario Blast and Pac in Time... And it was a dream, so who knows.

I know it was just a western release of a obscure Japanese game (Doki Doki Panic), but it's left it's mark (you now see Shy Guys and Bob-ombs walking around, and even Birdo makes random appearances at times). Makes you wonder if Mario 2 was more then just a dream.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#6  Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:53 am  Reply with quote + 
Crap, I forgot about the Shy Guys. >_>

Yeah, I don't know. Or maybe it really was a dream, and the Shy Guys and such were in the dream because Mario or whoever had seen them before? Kind of like in Link's Awakening, where there are enemies and characters from previous games who appear because the Wind Fish had seen them or something.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#7  Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:22 pm  Reply with quote + 
lol, interesting.

Mario 3 was my favorite game of the bunch.

I'm glad we had Mario 2 though. The shy guys and bob-ombs we're some of my favorite enemies. Now whenever shy guys are around they're great entertainment. Shy guy's toy box was my favorite segment of paper Mario.

Oh! Do the beezos still show up at all? Those guys we're awesome too. They were basically flying shy guys, the last time I remember seeing them was Yoshi's Story i think. unless they were actually in Paper Mario. I can't remember...
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#8  Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:44 pm  Reply with quote + 
Of course its fake. Just like the Patriots. The real masters of the script are the martions and Goblins that speak to me from beyond. :B

Regulus 777 wrote:
lol, interesting.

Mario 3 was my favorite game of the bunch.

The Frog Suit was awesome :3

Regulus 777 wrote:
I'm glad we had Mario 2 though. The shy guys and bob-ombs we're some of my favorite enemies. Now whenever shy guys are around they're great entertainment. Shy guy's toy box was my favorite segment of paper Mario.

Oh! Do the beezos still show up at all? Those guys we're awesome too. They were basically flying shy guys, the last time I remember seeing them was Yoshi's Story i think. unless they were actually in Paper Mario. I can't remember...

You mean like those enemies in Super Mario 64 that kept setting me on fire whenever I tried to catch that stupid monkey?
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#9  Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:32 pm  Reply with quote + 
And here I thought none of these games ever happened...

I consider these things merely artistic style. If you must make such claims you should also be sure to remember Yoshis Island and Kirby Dreamland 3 both took place in a particularly talented 5 year old's colorings... I see no reason to say it never happened, because well, it obviously didn't.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#10  Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:14 pm  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:

I don't think so. Except if you'd classify flying Shy Guys as Beezos, but I wouldn't.

fireball87 wrote:
And here I thought none of these games ever happened...

I consider these things merely artistic style. If you must make such claims you should also be sure to remember Yoshis Island and Kirby Dreamland 3 both took place in a particularly talented 5 year old's colorings... I see no reason to say it never happened, because well, it obviously didn't.

Man, it's opinions like these that make these conversations so boring. D:

I jest, but seems to me that video games aren't really doing it's job for you. :/

Recent stuff I'm into:

fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#11  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:04 am  Reply with quote + 
Soniti 254 wrote:
I jest, but seems to me that video games aren't really doing it's job for you. :/

What? Games are supposed to seem real to me? I may be insane, but I'm not that insane. Fiction is fiction, reality is reality. As for games themselves, artistic style very rarely plays a major part in gameplay, and the people who decide on the artistic style are often not even the people who have much influence on gameplay. For a game like the mario games, artistic style generally means fairly little to me.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#12  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:12 am  Reply with quote + 
fireball87 wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:

What? Games are supposed to seem real to me? I may be insane, but I'm not that insane. Fiction is fiction, reality is reality.

Not what I meant. Games; like books, movies, and other such things; are supposed to serve as an escape from reality, in my honest opinion. As such, although one may know it's not real, most don't really acknowledge that. If that makes any sense.

Because you admitted that they aren't real beforehand, that just seems to me that video games don't do that for you, which was I all wanted to point out.

Recent stuff I'm into:

fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#13  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:48 pm  Reply with quote + 
Soniti 254 wrote:
Not what I meant. Games; like books, movies, and other such things; are supposed to serve as an escape from reality, in my honest opinion. As such, although one may know it's not real, most don't really acknowledge that. If that makes any sense.

Because you admitted that they aren't real beforehand, that just seems to me that video games don't do that for you, which was I all wanted to point out.

I need not escape reality, I like reality. I like the reality of me sitting in a chair playing mario 3 too. Though really, I'm not of the opinion that admitting fiction isn't real removes it's use as an escape. You can "escape from reality" by using reality too, all it takes is placing your thoughts on something that isn't the "reality" you wish to avoid. It's really all the same thing... unless of course you can really characterize yourself with mario, and that just can't be sane.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#14  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:32 pm  Reply with quote + 
So when you watch a movie, do you sit there the entire time reminding yourself that you are presently seated in front of a screen watching a movie? I'm confused.

It's not about whether or not fiction is "real". It's about discussing the story that is being told. Nobody ever said that the stories of Mario are real, that would be absurd.
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#15  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:45 pm  Reply with quote + 
Dark Zaphe wrote:
It's not about whether or not fiction is "real". It's about discussing the story that is being told. Nobody ever said that the stories of Mario are real, that would be absurd.

Not yet anyways. Just you wait til I invent them jumping shoes. :B
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#16  Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:16 pm  Reply with quote + 
Dark Zaphe wrote:
So when you watch a movie, do you sit there the entire time reminding yourself that you are presently seated in front of a screen watching a movie? I'm confused.

Yes, for example I often discuss movies during movies. That's a pretty constant reminder, not that that matters, I never lose track of that in the first place. I do things like that socially often, why watch tv or movies with people if you ignore that they exist.

Again though, Mario 3 isn't a movie, and it's not really even trying to tell a story. It has a cast, and characters, but those are just a means to a goal which is level design. If we must decide if this was a thoughtful goal to make it a screen play, then I don't think it was that either. These elements (other then the abstract "exit stage right" that exists in 90 percent of plat-formers only exist in a fraction of the levels. Of the 8 worlds, the style is mostly entirely present in world 1, each world having their own different styles, and only on floating platforms which don't make any normal sense anyway, whether play or not. I've certainly not seen a play where I could see bolts holding the set to the background. I'm still assuming it's just an artistic style in order to make the game look nice, not trying to influence the story in any way.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#17  Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:45 am  Reply with quote + 
fireball87 wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:

I need not escape reality, I like reality. I like the reality of me sitting in a chair playing mario 3 too. Though really, I'm not of the opinion that admitting fiction isn't real removes it's use as an escape. You can "escape from reality" by using reality too, all it takes is placing your thoughts on something that isn't the "reality" you wish to avoid. It's really all the same thing... unless of course you can really characterize yourself with mario, and that just can't be sane.

So are you saying that your reality is absolutely perfect? That you have absolutely no need to escape? That nothing has ever happened to you that would piss you off, make you sad, or otherwise emotionally unstable? Must be nice.

Either way, a lot of people don't really care for reality. Which is exactly why a lot of people like to read, watch movies/anime, or play games. I'm sure if people just had "happy thoughts" when needed, that could be seen as some kind of escape too. But it's pretty much unarguable that getting captured by a good book/movie/anime/game/etc. is a lot easier to accomplish.

I personally can't characterize myself with Mario, as Mario and myself have no common ground. However, maybe there is someone out there who does. Perhaps one can see Mario as someone like that individual, doing whatever s/he can to help/protect/save someone s/he loves. One of the main reasons a person can grow attached to a character is because that character has some similarities to said person or there's something to the character that the person wishes s/he had.

fireball87 wrote:
Yes, for example I often discuss movies during movies. That's a pretty constant reminder, not that that matters, I never lose track of that in the first place. I do things like that socially often, why watch tv or movies with people if you ignore that they exist.

I never understood this mentality either. I actually prefer to watch movies or anime or TV shows with a friend(s). I tend to like talking about what we just watched after the presentation. Not sure if this has ever happened to you, but you know what's it's like when you're talking to someone about something and they probably don't have a clue what you're talking about? Doesn't usually turn into a fun or interesting conversation, more likely then not. Watching something with a friend is just more... fun I guess. The only time I am discussing the movie while watching the movie if I already watched the movie with another person who has already seen it. Again though, that's part of the fun aspect of it.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#18  Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:40 am  Reply with quote + 
I'm pretty sure that the original image that sparked this thread was a joke, Fireball.

And it's not "ignoring that they exist", whatever that was supposed to mean. >_>
In a story - maybe not something like Mario 3, but in a story - you're supposed to be able to suspend your disbelief long enough to immerse yourself in the story, and then you can experience it as it was meant to be experienced. Then you can discuss, analyze, etc. Otherwise, nothing has any depth and it would just all be about graphics, and picking out which tropes were used in the production, and all the technical stuff.

On a side note, but still related, even actors in a movie or a play are supposed to immerse themselves in the production. If you know anything about acting, you should know that a good actor will be 90% character and only 10% actor while acting (or some slight variation). An actor will get inside his or her character's head, even come up with backstories to the props they use and the costumes they wear, when no backstory is given, at least in theatre.

I guess I just don't understand your point of view.

Also, who would have thought that this topic would stray in such a direction as this? Lol.
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#19  Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:45 pm  Reply with quote + 
Soniti 254 wrote:

So are you saying that your reality is absolutely perfect? That you have absolutely no need to escape? That nothing has ever happened to you that would piss you off, make you sad, or otherwise emotionally unstable? Must be nice.

It's rare, and when it happens I more often just lay down for awhile instead of trying to watch or play something, assuming I don't intend to throw my controller threw a wall. "Escaping from reality" is just a phrase about moving attention anyway. I can "escape reality" by dissecting a movie just as easily as I can trying to "watch it as it was intended". If my focus isn't on my problems, it's all the same. As for this whole "stories are intended to be an escape from reality", why are so many of them written in an attempt to remind you of it again?

Dark Zaphe wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the original image that sparked this thread was a joke, Fireball.

And it's not "ignoring that they exist", whatever that was supposed to mean. >_>
In a story - maybe not something like Mario 3, but in a story - you're supposed to be able to suspend your disbelief long enough to immerse yourself in the story, and then you can experience it as it was meant to be experienced. Then you can discuss, analyze, etc. Otherwise, nothing has any depth and it would just all be about graphics, and picking out which tropes were used in the production, and all the technical stuff.

On a side note, but still related, even actors in a movie or a play are supposed to immerse themselves in the production. If you know anything about acting, you should know that a good actor will be 90% character and only 10% actor while acting (or some slight variation). An actor will get inside his or her character's head, even come up with backstories to the props they use and the costumes they wear, when no backstory is given, at least in theatre.

I guess I just don't understand your point of view.

Also, who would have thought that this topic would stray in such a direction as this? Lol.

Heh, I don't even suspend my disbelief for realities sake. Why should I start doing it for fiction. And I also don't see how that means I can't enjoy movies or understand them *squint*. Good writing is good writing, good acting is good acting. Just because I don't necessarily lose myself in a movie/book/game often doesn't change my ability to observer or understand either. As for actor immersion, that's of course really important, and very incredibly logical. I can guarantee you they're not really doing it cause their so intrigued with the writing. They need to personalize the characters so they can properly do the subtle acting that the directors will never tell them about. I on the other hand, don't.

Again though, we're still talking about the artistic style in a game, not movies. I very much more lose myself into movies then I do into games, despite spending more time on games.

Final note!
"Otherwise, nothing has any depth and it would just all be about graphics, and picking out which tropes were used in the production, and all the technical stuff."
Yeah, kind of like we're doing here *squint* This topic seems similar to me to discussing the makes and models of the set props (or fashion choices, or whatever) and their importance to the story of a movie. Like I said earlier, for a direct comparison, nobody is discussing the story implications of the drawing style of kirby dreamland 3. This is style, nothing more... For saying that's fairly unimportant I get told I can't appreciate the arts *squint*. I do not really lose myself in things, I will always be there to critique things in real time, theorize what will happen next, discuss what is happening, have some popcorn or chat on the web (I watch most movies at home, by the way. Worth noting, as about half that stuff wouldn't make much sense in a theater...). This does not in fact make me an ape.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#20  Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:14 pm  Reply with quote + 
You sure are squinting a lot! Maybe you should see an optometrist? :normal: 

Also, this discussion has not been about Mario 3 for quite a few posts now. I myself did not even take part in the original discussion, save for one remark about a comment on how Mario has a sort of "showtime" feel to it.

Finally, please note that Sonitii's point of view varies slightly from mine. He has been saying that the media in question (books, games, movies, etc.) offers an escape from reality, while I have been saying that one must be willing to suspend his or her disbelief in order to get involved in a story. Stories do offer an escape from reality, but that is not the stance I have taken in this argument! If you look at every story through any medium with an eye to technical detail and refuse to involve yourself with the story, how are you able to feel the emotions, or care about the plot? That is what I am trying to ask.

Perhaps there is some sort of misunderstanding here. Feel free to ditch the original Mario 3 discussion for a moment, because the conversation has sort of gone way past that already. >_>
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 2 Page: 1, 2  Next

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2338s
Index - Back to Top