Marvel VS Capcom 3; it's quite real.
[Replies: 34]  [Views: 8491]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Page: 1, 2  Next
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General

Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#1  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:13 am  Reply with quote + 
Some of you may or may not have already heard, but Capcom has recently announced a new sequel to one of the most beloved fighting game franchises of all time: The Marvel VS Capcom series.

As far as I know, all we have so far is a minute long teaser trailer that shows a few of the playable characters for the game and some teaser artwork (which I don't dig (why does Hulk have a crew cut?)). The definite confirmed characters as of right now are as follows:

Wolverine, Iron Man, Hulk, Ryu (of Street Fighter fame), Morrigan (of DarkStalkers fame), Chris Redfield (of Resident Evil fame), and whoever the silhouettes in the teaser art are supposed to be. Some you can practically figure them out if you're familiar with the characters (I can see who appears to be Dante (of Devil May Cry fame) and Deadpool (a becoming quite popular Marvel character) here, but the rest I'm not so sure on), but others probably not.

The game supposedly is to have at least 30 playable characters, and it sounds like it'll be a 2.5D fighting game, similar to Capcom's Street Fighter IV. It's also to have a hard disc release for the 360 and PS3 (sorry Wii, but you apparently don't like fighting games other then Smash Bros.). Not too much else is known about the game so far, seeing as it was only announced about a week ago. Apparently there is an leaked list of characters for the game out there, but I'd take it with a grain of salt at this point.

Personally, I'm really hoping for Deadpool, Dante, and Albert Wesker to make an appearance in the game. That'd be my "dream team" so to speak. Although you can also see silhouettes for who may possibly be Deadpool and Dante for the Marvel and Capcom logos respectively (ha ha, it sure sounds like I'm repeating myself regarding those two). That said, I'm also looking quite forward to this game. I probably won't follow up on it religiously like some folks are, but I'm interested in seeing what the game will be like.

So what are BombermanBoard's thoughts on this? Excited? Interested?

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
View user profile Send Private Message
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#2  Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:56 am  Reply with quote + 
Based on that teaser I'm not really interested. I don't like the art or animation style and if it's going to be that much like Street Fighter IV I'm probably not going to get into it.

for the record, I absolutely love the first 2 games. They are among my favorite fighters, but i think 2D fighters should use Sprites. I've always preferred sprites. It makes me sad that 2D games are almost totally gone from existence now.
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#3  Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:11 pm  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
Based on that teaser I'm not really interested. I don't like the art or animation style and if it's going to be that much like Street Fighter IV I'm probably not going to get into it.

for the record, I absolutely love the first 2 games. They are among my favorite fighters, but i think 2D fighters should use Sprites. I've always preferred sprites. It makes me sad that 2D games are almost totally gone from existence now.

Yeah, though it's been a renaissance these past few years, with download-able content. There's even been more full scale boxed releases then usual with NSMB/WII new Street Fighter, King of Fighters, Little Big Planet, Murumasa, BlazBlue, ect ect ect. Problem with today isn't that there are less 2d games, I think we're better off on that regard then the last two generations, real problem is I have a problem finding many new games that are all that original in any way.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#4  Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:08 am  Reply with quote + 
Sorry I wasn't clear enough. I meant 2D Sprite-based games specifically, so it's really not as much. And I think we already know how I feel about a large portion of the down-loadable content out there. I did get Megaman 9 and will probably get MM10 though.

Blazblue is fun. Murumasa also looked pretty neat but I haven't tried it yet.
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#5  Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:54 am  Reply with quote + 
Eh, I've been quite ok with 2.5d games ever since they (partially, though there's more 3d in DKC then there is in NSMB) pre-rendered Donkey Kong Country. Some of them, DKC included stand out as some of the prettier 2d games. It's all about style though, and I personally find a lot of the 3d games just as pretty or prettier then their 2d variants. The main issue with games like SSF4 as 3d is I'm not sure they didn't just do it to take the easy way out, KOF HD may look endlessly more impressive with it's 2d sprite work, but it also probably took a lot more time to produce. Sprites have to increase in complexity quite a bit more per resolution increase then 3d models seem to... though perhaps I'm jaded on that by my artistic talents forcing me to do 8 bit... poorly.

--edit--

Though the real reason I didn't care for SSF4 is cause I can't see how it or any fighter in the SF series is better or more polished then SSF2T... that and I've kindof fallen for the random Neo Geo Fighter instead.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#6  Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:49 am  Reply with quote + 
fireball87 wrote:
Eh, I've been quite ok with 2.5d games ever since they (partially, though there's more 3d in DKC then there is in NSMB) pre-rendered Donkey Kong Country. Some of them, DKC included stand out as some of the prettier 2d games. It's all about style though, and I personally find a lot of the 3d games just as pretty or prettier then their 2d variants. The main issue with games like SSF4 as 3d is I'm not sure they didn't just do it to take the easy way out, KOF HD may look endlessly more impressive with it's 2d sprite work, but it also probably took a lot more time to produce. Sprites have to increase in complexity quite a bit more per resolution increase then 3d models seem to... though perhaps I'm jaded on that by my artistic talents forcing me to do 8 bit... poorly.

I'm also okay with 2.5D games. Kirby 64 is amongst my favorite games for the N64, possibly amongst my all time list too. I'm not sure if a game like DKC would really count as 2.5D, but I won't argue on that.

Actually, you pretty much hit the nail on the head about sprites. The main reason why most games don't use sprites anymore is because they are very time consuming to fit today's standards (I would know, I used to work on spritesheets during my free time, never did anything past 16-bit though). I love games like BlazBlue and a lot of SNK fighters partly because they have some of the most fluid and gorgeous sprite work I've ever seen. But yeah, it's simply easier to use 3D renders in today's market because all you really need to do is make the character model itself and you're basically done. With sprites, you have to build up every pose up pretty much from scratch and that already can take a long time, let alone prettying it up with shades and textures. Capcom also seems to be dead set on making 2.5D/3D fighting games for the time being since SF4 did so well.

fireball wrote:
Though the real reason I didn't care for SSF4 is cause I can't see how it or any fighter in the SF series is better or more polished then SSF2T... that and I've kindof fallen for the random Neo Geo Fighter instead.

In general, I actually prefer SNK fighting games over Capcom ones. The main reason for that is because I can actually make the character do what I want him/her to do without much struggle. I find Capcom ones to be difficult for some reason and I can only do the quarter-circle motion-based moves usually in Capcom fighting games.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#7  Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:16 am  Reply with quote + 
Soniti 254 wrote:
I'm also okay with 2.5D games. Kirby 64 is amongst my favorite games for the N64, possibly amongst my all time list too. I'm not sure if a game like DKC would really count as 2.5D, but I won't argue on that.

Yeah, Kirby 64 was excellent, though I still prefer superstar. I don't know why you couldn't consider DKC 2.5D, I don't see much difference between manually splitting the things into sprites after their render process and having your 3d engine automatically split them out into surfaces for view on your camera. It's more or less the same process, just in one case it's done by hand and the other case it's done by your computer. It's somewhat an oddball title though, pre-rendered 3d didn't really last for long on consoles.

Soniti 254 wrote:
In general, I actually prefer SNK fighting games over Capcom ones. The main reason for that is because I can actually make the character do what I want him/her to do without much struggle. I find Capcom ones to be difficult for some reason and I can only do the quarter-circle motion-based moves usually in Capcom fighting games.

Yeah, I prefer them too generally, other then priory mentioned SSF2T gets alot of my play. I prefer the 4 button layout too over long play times, I never could get my fingers around the 6 button layout comfortably, meaning while my arcade machines hybrid layout covers both, I tend to prefer the SNK side on it. Plus I kindof like the odder, less popular fighters, like say last blade 2.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#8  Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:27 pm  Reply with quote + 
fireball87 wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:

Yeah, Kirby 64 was excellent, though I still prefer superstar. I don't know why you couldn't consider DKC 2.5D, I don't see much difference between manually splitting the things into sprites after their render process and having your 3d engine automatically split them out into surfaces for view on your camera. It's more or less the same process, just in one case it's done by hand and the other case it's done by your computer. It's somewhat an oddball title though, pre-rendered 3d didn't really last for long on consoles.

Superstar's my favorite as well, but I feel that Kirby 64's a close second regarding Kirby games.

My opinion of what a 2.5D game is that it's a game that uses polygons and such for the characters and/or settings but it plays like a 2D game (like a side-scrolling platformer or a 2D fighter). That's the only real reason why I wouldn't consider DKC to be a 2.5D but that's just me.

fireball87 wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:

Yeah, I prefer them too generally, other then priory mentioned SSF2T gets alot of my play. I prefer the 4 button layout too over long play times, I never could get my fingers around the 6 button layout comfortably, meaning while my arcade machines hybrid layout covers both, I tend to prefer the SNK side on it. Plus I kindof like the odder, less popular fighters, like say last blade 2.

I never had too much of an issue with six buttons for fighting games, although that may be because I first started playing those kind of games on a Super Nintendo, where games like that made use of the six button setup. I actually kind of like playing the King of Fighters games. I only own XIII so far but I plan on possibly getting more since I really liked how it played (and that it kind of forces you to get used to at least three different characters was also kind of neat to me). I also have the first Fatal Fury anthology collection for PS2, but I don't play them too much since I'm not the biggest fighting game fan and the people I generally play those games with usually would rather play Capcom VS SNK 2, Marvel VS Capcom 1 or 2, Guilty Gear X, or BlazBlue over them.

Recent stuff I'm into:

HienFan
Bomberman

Post#9  Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:15 am  Reply with quote + 
When I heard that Marvel VS Capcom 3 is on the XBOX360/PS3 I'm more convinced to get the XBOX360 since it also contains most of my childhood games
PS Besides I was a fan of fighting games since I was a kid
PSS Why not a PS3? I don't like what the PS3 did to some of the XBOX360 games (Tales of Vesperia)
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#10  Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:17 pm  Reply with quote + 
HienFan wrote:
When I heard that Marvel VS Capcom 3 is on the XBOX360/PS3 I'm more convinced to get the XBOX360 since it also contains most of my childhood games

I'm assuming you mean the Live Arcade re-releases of games?

HienFan wrote:
PSS Why not a PS3? I don't like what the PS3 did to some of the XBOX360 games (Tales of Vesperia)

Care to get into detail on that?

(Also, was not aware that Tales of Vesperia was even released for PS3. One less reason to get a 360 for me! :D )

Recent stuff I'm into:

Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#11  Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:05 pm  Reply with quote + 
fireball87 wrote:
I tend to prefer the SNK side on it. Plus I kindof like the odder, less popular fighters, like say last blade 2.

He he nice! My cousin had a bootleg of that for Dreamcast. I played it a long time ago but I remember it being pretty awesome.

I was actually playing some King of Fighters XIII with Soniti today! I like a lot of the characters, mostly the girls. King and Yuri are my favorites/best characters. Momoko is also adorable, and the Pirate girl (I believe her name was Belle?) is a lot of fun too. The sprites on that game are gorgeous and very fluid.

By the way I don't hate 2.5D games or anything. Kirby 64 was a good time. N64 actually had a number of great 2Dish games. I loved Mischief Makers (Anyone remember that? ha ha!) and Paper Mario.
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#12  Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:51 pm  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
I loved Mischief Makers (Anyone remember that? ha ha!)

Yeah, I convinced a friend to buy that for his n64 for 3 bucks just cause I remembered another friend who's taste I trusted recommended it. For some reason it's about the last of the treasure games I've played, perhaps that's because unlike most of them it's not all that highly rated.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#13  Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:18 pm  Reply with quote + 
I think the art style in this game looks pretty cool, in my opinion...

But really, over the years, through Tekken, Soul Caliber and Smash Brothers, I've come to accept the "2.5D" fighting games. And for games like Smash Brothers, I can't really see them any other way... Well, that's not entirely true, but I do think that the 2.5D thing works very well for some of these games.

While I'm always an advocate for sprites, there are certain cases like this where it just sort of works to have 3D models. It all depends on the feel that the game should have, I suppose.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#14  Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:38 am  Reply with quote + 
Oh yeah there are some that definitely work out better in 2.5D. Especially Smash Bros! I couldn't see Smash bros sprite based, but in these cases its because those games started out that way.

Just as I think it would be weird to see Smash bros go with Sprites i think it's weird for Street fighter to go 2.5D, y'know? I guess I just like things to stay as they are,especially if they were good in the first place. going to 2.5D or 3D has worked well in some cases in my opinion but a lot of the time I don't like to see the original series changed so drastically. I liked how they initially did Megaman in 3D with Legends cause it was a totally different canon so you could still enjoy the original series in it's original state. X eventually went 2.5D and they weren't as good. X7 was awful though X8 was a major improvement over X7, it still wasn't as good as those first games.
HienFan
Bomberman

Post#15  Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:58 am  Reply with quote + 
Quote:

Sure. I hate remakes that are overdone, it's ridiculously expensive and some of the PS3 exclusive games do not interest me at all (Katamari Tribute/Genji, while I like the PS2 game this one looks pretty terrible) wherelse the ones exclusive to the XBOX360 seems much more interesting

Oh yeah I was not talking about the rerelease at all I WAS talking about the REAL Marvel VS Capcom 3

PS One more reason why I don't want a PS3... They don't sell it in my hometown...
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#16  Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:07 am  Reply with quote + 
HienFan wrote:
Quote:

Sure. I hate remakes that are overdone, it's ridiculously expensive and some of the PS3 exclusive games do not interest me at all (Katamari Tribute/Genji, while I like the PS2 game this one looks pretty terrible) wherelse the ones exclusive to the XBOX360 seems much more interesting

Oh yeah I was not talking about the rerelease at all I WAS talking about the REAL Marvel VS Capcom 3

I was actually asking what is it that you don't like about 360 games getting ported to a PS3. But I think I can see where you coming from regarding remakes.

HienFan wrote:
PS One more reason why I don't want a PS3... They don't sell it in my hometown...

They don't sell PS3s where you live? Are you sure of this? Did you check more then one game store? I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but the idea baffles me.

Recent stuff I'm into:

HienFan
Bomberman

Post#17  Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:26 am  Reply with quote + 
They sell the machine but they don't sell the games and yes I checked in EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#18  Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:22 pm  Reply with quote + 
Hmm, interesting. Your game stores are just silly then.

Well, there's always the Internet to buy stuff.

Recent stuff I'm into:

HienFan
Bomberman

Post#19  Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:04 pm  Reply with quote + 
Easy to say... But I also don't have a credit card either so I can't buy anything online
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#20  Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:58 am  Reply with quote + 
HienFan wrote:
Easy to say... But I also don't have a credit card either so I can't buy anything online

Sure you can! Just "burrow" one! :DDDDDDD

Recent stuff I'm into:

Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 2 Page: 1, 2  Next

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2473s
Index - Back to Top