Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
Midi the Squirrel Game Demo
[Replies: 6]  [Views: 2744]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Clones & Projects

Midi
Bombertrainee

Post#1  Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:53 pm  Reply with quote + 
It said for other projects too, so I hope this is the right place to put this.

Anywho, I've been working on this game for a long time, major reason I've been gone for so long. It's a game about a squirrel with BOMB powers (similar to how it works in Jetterz) who has to fight off a band of penguin invaders from his planet.

Gameplay is similar to Jazz Jackrabbit, but with the option to throw or lay bombs however you like. You can also get 9 elements including neutral bombs (they work on sound waves).

To download, go to http://kylontario.deviantart.c.....145284864. Feedback is greatly appreciated. Bug reports, please send to [You must log in to view emails].

Hope you guys enjoy the game!
View user profile Send Private Message
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#2  Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:11 am  Reply with quote + 
Hey, I haven't seen you in a long time!

First of all, I have to commend you on the gameplay approach - sort of like taking Bomberman Hero/Jetters and making it into a 2D platformer, but adding in different elements (rolling, wall jumping, elemental bombs) to make it something new.

Also, the animation is very smooth. Graphically the game really excels; on that note I do have one piece of advice though - use larger tiles for scenery that will be repeated alot, such as the dirt and stone/metal walls. All you'd have to do is make three more standard-sized tiles for these, and you could still have places where the land slopes or it ends without enough space to encompass a 48 px tile (I'm guessing you are using 24x24 px tiles). It just makes it easier to look at, especially when moving at higher speeds.

The only bugs I noticed were ones you probably already know about (going down slopes, hitting moving platforms sideways).

By the way, I especially like the bomb ammo bar, and the punishment the player must endure for exhausting it. Nice touch.

This has a lot of potential if you keep at it. :peace: 
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#3  Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:11 am  Reply with quote + 
oh man Jazz Jack Rabbit? I used to adore that game as a child. I had it for the computer.

I'll try to check this out later when I have some free time. I'll add some feedback as well when I do get to it.
Midi
Bombertrainee

Post#4  Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:22 am  Reply with quote + 
I'm too lazy to divide up the quote, so my replies to it are in bold.

Dark Zaphe wrote:
Hey, I haven't seen you in a long time!

Yups. Aside from college and game making, I don't have internet at home, and a cell phone makes forums hellishly slow.

First of all, I have to commend you on the gameplay approach - sort of like taking Bomberman Hero/Jetters and making it into a 2D platformer, but adding in different elements (rolling, wall jumping, elemental bombs) to make it something new.

Thanks! I thought it was a bit slippery myself. I really loved Bomberman Hero, so that's why I wanted to try and get that feeling.

Also, the animation is very smooth. Graphically the game really excels; on that note I do have one piece of advice though - use larger tiles for scenery that will be repeated alot, such as the dirt and stone/metal walls. All you'd have to do is make three more standard-sized tiles for these, and you could still have places where the land slopes or it ends without enough space to encompass a 48 px tile (I'm guessing you are using 24x24 px tiles). It just makes it easier to look at, especially when moving at higher speeds.

Pretty close. 16x24 is the tile size. I was gonna use Megaman 8 style tiles, but then I had some problems with this and that, so I just tried to make it look a bit more Kirby-ish. I am expanding the tile set to give the stages more variety, and also make the tunnel in the intro look less like it was dug out with bricks.

The only bugs I noticed were ones you probably already know about (going down slopes, hitting moving platforms sideways).

I've tried getting him to stick to the slope when he goes down, but it's difficult to make him do it without getting stuck. GM tries to have some parts of physics predone for you, so you have to work around it. But if you think about it realistically, it's kinda hard to jump when running fast down a hill, right? Also, the wall thing is already fixed, but that's not the worst of the bugs I've found. Try hitting a moving platform at the wrong angle! LOL

By the way, I especially like the bomb ammo bar, and the punishment the player must endure for exhausting it. Nice touch.

That's a story element. Instead of using little ammo pickups, Midi just gets tired and needs to catch his breath, and then he can get blasting again. It's his species. He's a hybrid between a mortal and an astral (a being of alto-space). This is an element that will be in the future games too, but don't worry. There are ways of making it recharge faster.

This has a lot of potential if you keep at it. :peace: 

Don't worry, I will! Thanks a bunch!
Razon
Board Admin

Post#5  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:20 am  Reply with quote + 
It's not the coding languages fault as it's properly capable, and you could also just use your own variables instead. I'll report a few bugs here and suggestions on how to fix them.

Glitch: When you're against a wall and jump while holding the arrow key against the wall, and you reach the top where you can move then it will execute hill movement coding causing you to move over and up a bit faster for that instance in time.
Fix: Setting it to not run hill movement coding when you're jumping should work, though depending on your engine coding it could take more then that.

Glitch: Downhill movement not being executed at all.
Fix: Basically what you want to do, is a reverse of the uphill coding that checks for non free space instead of free space. And making sure that there's free space to move down to, and setting the vspeed instead of the y like you do with uphill coding.

Glitch: Getting stuck on moving platforms.
Fix: Have the moving platforms check if the position that's it's going to move to is free prior to moving there. Use a place_free relative(from the x and y) check to see if it can move the entire object mask to the new position from the position that you're at.

Glitch: Getting stuck on those blocks moving down, happened when running and jumping through that area where the blocks move down and block the path. The blocks moved down onto the character and got him stuck, and they all piled into each other then.
Fix: Have it do a relative(from the x and y) place_free check like with the moving platforms so that it doesn't move onto the character.

Glitch: I've managed to get stuck on the very right wall of the starting new game area, haven't been able to cause the glitch again.
Fix: It seemed like he was falling stuck falling and couldn't move left because of it, probably because there's no ground past the edge of the screen but the reason that he couldn't move back may be because the actual movement wasn't allowed past that point that he managed to get to.

Glitch: You can open doors and be taken to the next area when pressing up even if you're walking or running.
Fix: Have it check wether the character is moving before it opens the door, or just make the character stop and walk through the door.

Glitch: Collision with the ground from above and below isn't smooth. Also setting the hspeed to 0 when it shouldn't as well, which attributes to making collision with the bottom of a wall under water look more glitchy by changing your direction besides the un-smooth collision.
Fix: With the wall parent on collision with the character, you could set something like this- it will make for smooth collisions from above and below.
Code:
with(other) { if !place_free(x,y+vspeed) { if vspeed<0 { move_contact_solid(90,vspeed); }
else if vspeed>0 { move_contact_solid(270,vspeed); } } vspeed=0; }
Note: This isn't a complete fix for this, but it takes care of most of it.

Suggestion: Also don't set the active stand sprite on landing. That should be handled by the coding that normally sets it, or if it is then you need to stop it from setting it the moment that you land when you're walking or running. Unless you want it that way, maybe it will look better when the movement's not glitchy. And when you're in shallow water with land below you where you could stand head over water, you should be able to stand in it and the character could maybe just move slower on it- a splashing effect when entering and leaving the water would be good too.

Glitch: Not moving all the way up against the wall sometimes until you let go of the arrow keys.
Fix: Should be an easy fix, what needs to be done may depend on how your source is coded to work- try adding this(edited where stated) to the step event for your character.
Code:
if place_meeting(x+hspeed,y,WALL_PARENT_HERE) { if hspeed<0 { move_contact_solid(180,hspeed); }
else if hspeed>0 { move_contact_solid(0,hspeed); } hspeed=0; }

GML is a very easy language to use, it's base is similar to the basic base of the delphi coding language.
If you have any other questions or issues with fixing something, then feel free to ask me.
Midi
Bombertrainee

Post#6  Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:07 pm  Reply with quote + 
Thanks for the glitch report Razon. I've tried to fix most of them, some I"m still working on, some I solved pretty quickly. When I did the downhill one, it actually got worse instead of better. I think I might just cut out downhill detection all together. Oh well. I don't think it's that big a deal anyway. I mean think about it, if you run down a hill quickly, it's already hard to jump anyway, right? Well, I'll try again, but if I can't get it to work, I'm gonna just cut it out.

Also, the part you mentioned about the falling blocks piling up on you, I can't get that to happen. How exactly did you do it?
Razon
Board Admin

Post#7  Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:00 am  Reply with quote + 
Well the downhill movement just seems unnatural and glitchy, not much to justify there. It should definitely be fixed, if you want you can hand me the source and I'll do a quick fix for you- assuming you did the entire thing in GML.

As for the falling blocks you have to run and jump through it with the trying to get through there normally mindset, I tried quite a bit specifically trying to glitch it and I couldn't get it that way. Here's a video of it happening, unlike when I first glitched it I was able to escape this time, though not an acceptable escape as you'll see in the video.

http://www.mediafire.com/?dj4m4lgwzmj
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Clones & Projects All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2089s
Index - Back to Top