[Replies: 50]  [Views: 9196]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General

Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#41  Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:56 pm  Reply with quote + 
Zerostarry wrote:
Btw, i'm pretty sure theres a slot to plug in the nunchuk in the back. I may be wrong though

I just Wikipedia'ed that and it seems like you can attach the Nunchuck or Classic Controller to it. My apologies.

I still stand by my statement that this "device" should have been incorporated into the controller in the first place though. Or at least start making the new controllers already have the device built into them or something.

Mighty wrote:
Who came up with that stupid inflatable controller so it looks like you're riding the horse?? That is the most un-needed game controller I've ever seen.

Only Nintendo nowadays, man. Only Nintendo...

Mighty wrote:
What next? Mario not being aloud to jump or something? Sonic not a speed demon?

I lol'ed when I read these. If I read this like 5 years ago I'd probably say "yeah, when pigs fly", but nowadays I really wouldn't be surprised if they suddenly did that.

Mighty wrote:
All the modern features of games are just pointless. The Wii Control System is something I despise. Whenever I look for Wii Games, they MUST be GameCube Controller Compatible for me to want to buy it. If they don't have it, they'd better hope the Controls are not too much about Motion Sensors or stuff. I despise all of those motion sensing games (although LoZ: Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption are one of few exceptions).

To be honest, there are some games that kind of do the whole Motion Sensor thing extremely well. Like WarioWare Smooth Moves for example. The game was designed so the players would look like idiots, but it's all the more reason why it's a terrific party game. The game is ridiculously fun with even just one other player. But that's just me, to each their own. Although if you want other recommendations, try Super Paper Mario (wicked good game, and really the closest thing to truly resemble old-school Mario games I've seen in a long time (sorry, but New Super Mario Bros. didn't really cut it to me)) or Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles (your above-average light-gun game, kind of like the gun games you'd find in an arcade. Definitely more appreciable if you're familiar with the other games, but still fun if you haven't played them before).

What I do hate is when games add Motion Sensor seemingly just to throw it in. Probably the only thing I really didn't care for much in Marvel: Ultimate Alliance for Wii (instances where you can only dodge by moving the Wiimote in a certain way, only able to do certain attacks via certain motions, etc.). And when games try to focus on the motion aspect but the execution was flawed. Red Steel is a good example, it tries to incorporate gunplay and swordplay into the game, but it just doesn't not work well with how the game is set up. The game forces the player to use guns for most of the game, and only on a few occasions the player is forced to use the swords. However, if incorporated well, it can really enhance the experience considerably (Metroid Prime 3 is a perfect example of this, IMHO). I guess you could say I find the Motion Sensor thing to be something like a double-edged sword for the most part; but it gets old after a while to me, something which nobody can seem to fix.

Mighty wrote:
What I'm wondering is if Nintendo or anyone else is even listening to the fans. The fans Nitendo want to listen to approve the games, the fans that they should listen to do not approve at all. See where I'm going with this?

lol It seems like the general opinion of a Nintendo fan who witnessed E3 '08 is that Nintendo pretty much said "screw you guys" to all of their loyal fans from pre-GCN onward. I remember reading somewhere that their target audience wasn't "us" anymore, it was pretty much everyone else. If that's not a kick in the crotch to Nintendo fans, I don't know what is.

Reggy wrote:
SSJ-Sonic wrote:
But you know what would be even better?

Sequel to Yoshi's Safari. Am I right? : DDDD

That is a day I pray for my friend. Yoshi's Safari is an amazing game and it must simply comeback. Even a modernized remake would be badass.

I figured you'd love the idea. And yeah, a modernized remake would be the top thing on my must-have list. Cuz Yoshi's Safari was friggin' awesome. XD

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
View user profile Send Private Message
Razon
Board Admin

Post#42  Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:37 am  Reply with quote + 
I recommend http://www.nintendo8.com for playing nes games online, the online emulator there seems to display good color on the games unlike other emulators that I've come across.

On the topic of the wii-mote, with the wii motion plus and such I think that they could make something decent with it. And as for that chair, remember it's just a patent that the company filed. Companies file loads of patents and often never use the idea, they do it so that it belongs to them. Just in-case they ever have a use for it, and so that they don't lose it if someone else thinks of the same idea. As for games I myself rarely spend time playing games, more recently I was enjoying some classic arcading with mame- it's the biggest pile of co-op games in existence. Wii game wise I mainly only play nintendo's main games, played some mario kart wii recently and started super paper mario a few months ago though I haven't finished it yet- as like I said I don't spend much time playing games.

I've always enjoyed playing games on the computer through emulators more then on the actual consoles, I have my ps3 controllers and wii-motes + attachments for playing them- I prefer to use the keyboard however. Gamecube and wii emulation has gotten really good over the past year, actually gotten around to playing some gamecube and wii games a bit thanks to it. This considering that I never touch my actual consoles, they just sit and collect dust for unending amounts of time.
Mighty
Bomberman

Post#43  Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:09 pm  Reply with quote + 
dakirbydude wrote:
Well really, I'm good at finding awesome Wii games because I enjoy mine, but it might be easier to enjoy this generation of gaming if I bought a different console. Now that I just started my senior year of high school and have college ahead, I wonder if a few years from now I'll still play games. I'm sure I will at least a little bit, but I have a job, life and probably a family ahead of me so I just won't have time for that anymore.

I read that about 48% of the Wii's software sales were from only first party games and also guitar hero/rockband. If that's all that sells on the Nintendo Wii, it's a nightmare for 3rd party and that's why a lot of good games fail to come out, but I'm good at separating the good and unknown from the bad. (After all, I'm a Bomberman fan, and I have my own taste for video games and I also know about all those games that nobody's heard of. EarthBound/mother, you name it)

I kind of wish today was more like NES and Super Nintendo games because that's when things were better. The GameCube, Xbox, and I suppose PS2 (heard it's the best, but didn't really play it a lot, but I own the other two cosoles of last gen) still had a lot of awesome games on it that could entertain and not fail to be fun. These days, it's the marketing strategy of putting Mario or Sonic or Master Chief on a box and expecting sales, and it works. (Hey, Sonic isn't doing too well, let's give him a sword and people will be like :D until they start playing, but the sale is all that matters to them it seems) In a failing economy the video games still sell like mad, so it seems like a lot of people who shouldn't be making them do. Another stupid marketing strategy is making a game such as "Eduardo the samurai toaster" that really has almost nothing to do with any of that but the title is so random it makes people laugh and they buy it.

I'm not too happy with video games these days, but there's still a great number of awesome games if you look for them.

I actually rented Sonic and the Black Knight today. I waqs actually ok with it. Although because I'm not good with using the Wii Remote like it's supposed to be used, I stink at fighting. I also noticed how walking around is more like walking in a tile based map. The game is good, but the movement needs to be more like Sonic: Unleashed.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#44  Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:26 pm  Reply with quote + 
dakirbydude wrote:
Sonic isn't doing too well, let's give him a sword and people will be like :D until they start playing

Oh my god, how did I miss this part?

I, unfortunately for Sega/Sonic Team, wasn't fooled by this. Sad thing is, if this were me like a couple of years ago, I'd be right on this too without as much as a second thought.

But yeah, after playing Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog (never bought this heap of garbage, thankfully), and the demo for Sonic: Unleashed on PS3, I've really just lost my faith in Sonic pretty much altogether. Sega's got to do better then giving Sonic a sword (something I've always imagined and envisioned, mind you) to get me to play a new Sonic game again, like umm, I don't know, fix what's been wrong with the other 3D games?

Seriously, why the hell can players STILL randomly fall through floors? OR lose two lives during the same life? OR why does the camera STILL get stuck on walls? Does anyone see where I'm going with this? These sort of things are inexcusable in this day and age. It's frigging ridiculous when stuff like this happens whenever I randomly pop in Sonic Adventure 1/2 (btw, I have the GCN version of 2 and the DC and GCN version of 1, and the problems are apparent in both of the games and variants).

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Ashtarth
Bomberdude

Post#45  Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:50 pm  Reply with quote + 
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#46  Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:24 pm  Reply with quote + 
Looking at that article, I still don't understand their thinking. Of course, it's blatantly obvious they want to be "edgy". But Mario as a brand for kids? No, Mario appeals to all ages -because- it relies on a consistent strategy, even in different formats. Because that audience enjoys playing that kind of game. Not because they think Mario is some kind of idol, but because the games he stars in are fun and well made and he doesn't sell out.

Also, is Sonic the Black Knight a game where he guards a forest and gets his limbs chopped off, or a game where he protects Gotham from the murderous Joker? Oh wait, that's "Dark Knight". Yeah, the limb-chopping scenario is probably accurate based on the title.

EDIT: Sorry, I put "audience" instead of "article" in the first sentence, had to fix it.

Last edited by Plasma Bomber on Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:39 pm
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#47  Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:39 am  Reply with quote + 
I just finished reading that article and all of the comments.

And my honest opinion is that Sega is just making excuses to cover themselves.

Sega/Sonic Team could EASILY make a new game that appeals to all gamers, not just their "12 and under" target audience. But the problem is they choose to use less effort and make a new lousy game on a yearly basis, and this is just sad. They say they can only make games that appeal to kids, but that's just an excuse. Sega/Sonic Team back in the day could make awesome games that everyone liked and STILL love to play today. And you know what? If just they put more effort into their games and focused less on gimmicks and just working on a game that's actually fun and not entirely buggy, they'd more then likely have a great game in their hands.

Mario is appealing to a younger audience, but even his older fanbase still enjoy the games. You want to know why? Because the games are actually fun to play and they stick with a formula that works, and tweak it a bit to create something unique and fresh. You don't need gimmicks or make something completely different to satisfy the fans. You just need to stick with a gameplay formula that worked and adjust it a bit for each new game. If Sega just stuck with the classic gameplay or even the SA1 approach, and not keeping focusing on gimmicks or something, you'd be guaranteed to have a lot less angry fans.

Regarding the article, it is my honest opinion, as a older Sonic fan, that this Mike Hayes hardly has a clue what he's talking about. His comparison of Sonic being the "Modern Warfare" back in the day is a complete joke. I don't know what the guy was thinking when he came up with this nonsense, but the two can't even be compared. MW is a game based on war and the like. Sonic is a cartoony blue hedgehog who runs really fast and free his animal friends from being robotic slaves by a mad scientist shaped like an egg. I fail to see any similarities between the two. The guy doesn't know a thing about Sonic, end of story.

Dark Zaphe wrote:
Also, is Sonic the Black Knight a game where he guards a forest and gets his limbs chopped off,

XD and I suppose he also encounters a group of knights who say "Nii" who require Sonic to bring them a shrubby of sorts to let him pass, right?

Recent stuff I'm into:

Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#48  Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:19 pm  Reply with quote + 
Yes, this is quite a nice little shuberry.....

Now, we demand..........

ANOTHER SHRUBERRY!

and a nice little bridge in between to connect the two.

---------------------------------------------------------------

anyway
Darn it bro.... I guess we're gonna have to try Sonic and the Black Knight. Of course we won't be paying full price for it. Rent it or something. Even if it is indeed terrible it'll provide for an hour or so of some kind of entertainment, even if it be for the lulz
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#49  Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:54 pm  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
Yes, this is quite a nice little shuberry.....

Now, we demand..........

ANOTHER SHRUBERRY!

and a nice little bridge in between to connect the two.

Sonic: I shall do no such thing!

Knights: Aww come on, please?

XDDDD

Reggy wrote:
anyway
Darn it bro.... I guess we're gonna have to try Sonic and the Black Knight. Of course we won't be paying full price for it. Rent it or something. Even if it is indeed terrible it'll provide for an hour or so of some kind of entertainment, even if it be for the lulz

Yeah I guess so. XD I can see it all now, bad commentary, equally bad or dumb jokes, having fun for all the wrong reasons! Everything... for the LULZ! XD

And if, by some crazy chance, it is a decent game, I can say "hey, it's not so bad." and may even consider buying it. Ethier way, it's win-win for me. XD

Recent stuff I'm into:

Mighty
Bomberman

Post#50  Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:10 am  Reply with quote + 
*Finished reading article*
I won't be surprised if Sega goes bankrupt if they keep doing what they're doing.
Razon
Board Admin

Post#51  Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:41 am  Reply with quote + 
Quote:
The Sega brass hopes their plan will generate something Sonic for everyone. "Trying to appease all those audiences is really hard," Ratcliffe said. "But we are flattered, because we've taken nostalgic fans with us on a journey for almost 20 years and they're still passionate about Sonic."
As if, I and many others surely haven't cared about sonic in a long time- call me when there's a true sequal to sonic adventure 2.
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 3 of 3 Page: Previous  1, 2, 3

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2364s
Index - Back to Top