Old NES games?
[Replies: 50]  [Views: 9195]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General

dakirbydude
Bomberman

Post#1  Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:03 pm  Reply with quote + 
I wanted to make a topic about the NES...

What are some of your favorite NES games? Also, do you own the console itself and does it work?

I own a damaged NES that it's graphics are actually slightly off worse than 8 Bit. The graphics are the same, but it kind of looks like watching TV used to on an antenna. I personally liked Super Mario Bros 3 and Kirby's Adventure a lot, and Yoshi's Cookie was pretty good too. Balloon Fight was also a favorite of mine as was Ice Climbers. But my favorite game was The Legend of Zelda.
View user profile Send Private Message
Razon
Board Admin

Post#2  Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:34 pm  Reply with quote + 
Probably have it buried in the attic somewhere since the mid 1990's, I've gotten rid of many other game systems when I was young. Now I just leave them to collect dust, my oldest console is the dreamcast, the rest including current-gen that I own are ps2, gc, ds, wii and ps3. I enjoy super mario bros for the nes, it's a classic that always stays good. http://www.nintendo8.com is a good website to play extremely old console games at online, I prefer playing even current generation console games on pc instead of their actual system.
chris_h
Bomberman

Post#3  Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:26 am  Reply with quote + 
I like the DUCK HUNT and Track and Field with powerpad. Powerpad running was cool.

Golf was lame. Dr. Mario was with out a doubt one of the best NES games.

Only real problem with NES was that it had no memory for saving a game or even high scores.

Spoiler:
I still have my NES. There is nothing quite like when your buddy cant get the thing to start, so then you blow the cartidrige just right, hold in the cough from the dust, insert disk like a pro, and then let out the cough and proclaim your greatness when it starts on your first try. So delicate. Unlike a sega channel which you just had to beat the crap out of to get working right. Did you all have sega channel? Only sega game that ever did much for me was ROAD RASH.
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#4  Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:08 pm  Reply with quote + 
I still own my NES with a decent collection of games. Mario 3, Galaga, The Guardian Legend, the Zeldas, Metroid, Ice Hockey, Blaster Master, Metal Gear (though the MSX version is obviously superior), Punch Out, Contra, Life Force, Kirby's Adventure, Dr. Mario, Duck Hunt, Ninja Gaiden... Just a few of my favorites off the top of my head... I wouldn't even try to remember my complete collection.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#5  Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:53 pm  Reply with quote + 
I have a NES, and I still play it from time to time. Admittedly, though, I don't have a whole lot for it. One tiny fraction on my shelf is dedicated to my NES. I have Blaster Master, the three original Castlevania games, Excitebike, Kirby's Adventure (one of my very favorite games on the console), Mach Rider, Mario Bros., Metal Gear, Metroid, Ninja Gaiden, Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt, Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3, and Wrecking Crew. Of them all, I think the ones I've played the most recently are Blaster Master, Mario 2, and maybe Metal Gear. I don't play my old consoles much unfortunately, and I won't anytime soon because their all packed away right now.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
DragonBomber
Bomberman

Post#6  Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:37 pm  Reply with quote + 
Oh, I completely forgot this somehow. I have the Super Mario Bros. theme on my cellphone, a background on it that looks like the Angry Sun but happy, and I carry my cash and cards in a Super Mario Bros. 2 hologram wallet I found at a thrift shop years ago. A couple years ago a friend even found a mint shape wallet exactly like mine in her garage so when this dies completely, I have a spare. Or a nice shelf decoration if I move to an adult wallet. I actually had a customer at the gas station I worked 3rd shift at come in with a wallet identical to mine, and I said, "hey, I have that wallet!" and pulled it out. Never saw him again, but it was weird since the city I'm in isn't huge.

Edit
I have owned a lot of the consoles from Magnavox Oddysey forward (thanks to thrift shops, yard sales, and pawn shops mostly), but I spent a lot of time on the NES. We had bought that new after everyone was getting into SNES. So games were cheaper, and the selection was amazing. The problem was for us, that we only had monochrome televisions when we moved to NY from CA. It took us a few years to get a used color TV off an aunt cheaply. Up until then we played all our NES games in black and white. You're talking about making Bart VS The Space Mutants impossible, as you could not tell the true purple tagged alien bits from normal stuff and sprayed everything. Dr. Mario was obviously also a challenge.

I think the games I loved most were Ninja Kid, Super Mario Bros. 1-3, Infiltrator (sneaking around spraying guards with sleeping gas or was awesome), Dr. Mario, Yoshi, Yoshi's Cookie, Bart VS The World, Super Team Games (for a while we played PowerPad games like demons), Clu Clu Land, Trog, The Legend of Zelda, RBI Baseball, BaseWars, Goal, Road Runner, Micro Machines, and others. My brother and I had amassed over 200 games before I stopped buying them. Nearly all of them were bought used, from Funcoland, yard sales, pawn shops, and the few remaining ones were new from Fingerhut or clearance shelves. Not sure how many are left after misc moves, sales, and people borrowing games. I know I have 2 or 3 toaster models, and 1 top loader a friend in town pulled out of his attic for me. Sadly, the top loader uses RF only without mods, so the quality on my HDTV is simple atrocious. In this case, and in the case of the n64, the only way to have good video quality on my display is falling back on emulation to help me.

I have not touched my toploader since it restarted on me while far in on Bomberman. I was so pissed off, kicking myself more since I should have just relied on the PC with its save states, but nooooo. Whenever I get the stupid USB adapter for the NES pads, maybe I'll do that more, but using my USB pads, PS2/PS1, GameCube, or Xbox 360 pads with NES games just doesn't feel right. The closest match was using these tiny USB pads Walmart sells, from the same maker as that cheap PS2/PS1, GameCube, and Xbox to USB adapter with 2 port usb hub. All my stuff from them works well, but I have to buy more of the pads since a friend borrowed them and kept them without reimbursing me as we discussed. Only $20 so I don't ask about them anymore. He'll likely be overseas fighting for the US again, so I owe him something I suppose. :surprise: 

Anyways, used to play NES for days on end during the summer. Literally would nap and return, so our console was always warm/hot to the touch. The accessories were good as well. I have these baseless joysticks with Mercury switches in them, a knock off of another big name controller from someone else that Big Lots was selling. Grip-Its they were called. They work with Genesis, Atari, and NES depending on the game played, believe it or not, having both controls. You move the joystick in the direction you want to go on screen. A good decade or more before better controls in the way of WiiMote, but still cool to fiddle with. You ended up ducking a lot, if the controls in the game allowed for it, or jumping shorter than you expected. I was a big Zapper and PowerPad game fan, having most of those releases after a while. Dance Aerobics...such a bad game. Years ahead of its time though.

Famicom wise, my favorite games would be Moai Kun (I love anything with Easter Island head statues), and Devil World. Oh, and the bootleg game Kart Fighter. Also years ahead of its time, with Nintendo characters brawling but not being an official game, it never took off. I played Bomberman first on a Famicom multicart I traded the same brothers who are doing the bman event, for. I think I gave them an Atari 2600 and 30 games for the multicart, and misc other tiny things.
Bomberstar

Post#7  Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:30 pm  Reply with quote + 
I love the NES so much. I'd say it's still in my top 5 favorite systems behind perhaps the PS2, and Saturn and definately below the SNES which is my favorite.

I still have an original front-loading system in good working order. I hadn't used it in awhile because I purchased an FC-Twin console that can play both NES and SNES games. I picked that up cause my SNES was getting in poor shape the AC adapter was especially a problem where if you didn't tweak it just right the system would not receive any power.

Anyway yeah I still like to play my NES games every so often. I think i have almost 40 games still, including all of the Mega Man games which are my absolute favorites on the console. I have a few of the mario games, Metal Gear and its goofy sequel Snake's Revenge, Yoshi (another absolute fav!), Gradius, Dragon Warrior, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the older one released by Ultra Games that was made fun of by the Angry videogame nerd), Bomberman, Metroid, Adventures of Link, Bubble Bobble, Tetris. It's all packed up right now since we're gonna start moving next week but that's a good portion of them.

I have alot of oddball stuff too some of which is really fun some, not so good lol.
Some of the fun ones are....

North and South - A game about the American Civil War. Great fun VS a friend

Air Fortress - A platform/shooter game the first half of each stage is a horizontal shooter where you collect health and missiles used in the 2nd half of the level where you are on foot. You use a hover pack and explore inside these fortresses. You have to destroy the cores and then escape before the fortress explodes.

Star Tropics - Awesome game, alot of the people that actually know what it is like to poke fun at it but it's really fun once you get past the goofiness.

Great Topic by the way.
DragonBomber
Bomberman

Post#8  Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:40 pm  Reply with quote + 
Dunno how I forgot these titles, but I loved Metroid and Rygar on the NES as well, both due to the music more than anything. Spy VS Spy for the quirky trap fun. Fester's Quest ate some of my time. A Boy and His Blob did as well. I'm sure there are other memories waiting to leak out my ear at the slightest hint of mention. heh

I tend to play my NES stuff now on either my DS, or the PC emus. I found a couple Famiclones at the thrift shops, one had another multicart, so they are good to play Famicom games on if you don't mind flimsy controllers that feel like they are going to break in your hands. I have nearly bought one of the twin SNES/NES clones a few times, and the NES ones by themselves, but always held off for whatever reason. Mostly due to the video quality. I really just need to get a small board/cpu/power supply and stick it into an old toaster NES, and have emulation with the look of an NES. :happy: 

Too much trouble for me though, so I will likely wait until some manner of PC around the size of the NES or smaller without a monitor is sold cheap enough that I can just hook up to my hdtv with vga. I know there are plenty that fit the bill, but it'd have to be super cheap for me to bother. Laptops are often more than I want to spend and the notebooks are not quite powerful enough for all my emulation needs. My bedroom media system is often too busy with tasks to stop for much emulation fun. :down: 

Did any of you all have some of the weird NES accessories? Like the LJN Rock n Roller? :laugh: 
Bomberstar

Post#9  Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:55 pm  Reply with quote + 
I don't really have any accessories for my NES that are out of the ordinary. I just have a zapper, an arcade stick that doesn't work very well.

The Super NES on the other hand I think I can say I have just about every accessory or at least every american accessory I can think of.

I have the mouse for Mario Paint, the Super Scope light gun and about 3-4 games for it, The Super gameboy to play older gameboy games on it, and a multitap adapter for bomberman and whatever few other games might've supported it.

I've gotten enjoyment out of all of them. Mario Paint is alot of fun, and Yoshi's Safari is almost too awesome. I mean riding on the back of a Yoshi and shooting goombas and koopas out of the sky with a bazooka sounds like some dream game I mgiht've come up with as a kid.

They should totally make a Yoshi's Safari 2 for Wii. That'd be epic!
DragonBomber
Bomberman

Post#10  Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:38 am  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
I don't really have any accessories for my NES that are out of the ordinary. I just have a zapper, an arcade stick that doesn't work very well.

The Super NES on the other hand I think I can say I have just about every accessory or at least every american accessory I can think of.

I have the mouse for Mario Paint, the Super Scope light gun and about 3-4 games for it, The Super gameboy to play older gameboy games on it, and a multitap adapter for bomberman and whatever few other games might've supported it.

I've gotten enjoyment out of all of them. Mario Paint is alot of fun, and Yoshi's Safari is almost too awesome. I mean riding on the back of a Yoshi and shooting goombas and koopas out of the sky with a bazooka sounds like some dream game I mgiht've come up with as a kid.

They should totally make a Yoshi's Safari 2 for Wii. That'd be epic!

Yeah, my brother and I had gotten just about all of the Super Scope and Mouse games at one point. Had them for years and sold some, lost some in moves, and gave others away. I still have the mouse and Mario Paint naturally. We used it to make a video catalog of our collection back when I was in highschool and he was in junior high. We had a portable cd player handy to swap in the sound from it instead of the SNES for the title screen music, each title screen being some animation or a picture he took time to make. They look horrible now, I still have the VHS tapes. Mostly because we recorded it all on a mono Shintom VCR, and you'd have to pause the tape and work quick, then record unpause. That left a lot of ghosting before the tape caught up.

Back to NES for a moment. Craziest game I never owned but play on the emulator would have to be NES Zombie Nation. hahaha So hard! Wally Bear and the No Gang was pretty crazy, though I had that complete thanks to a thrift shop. Any of the bible games, picking up animals and answering bible quizzes. ha My love of those quirky bible games if even on a whim so as to laugh made me actually buy PS2 The Bible Game just to see what it was like. It was worth the $10. hahaha
Bomberstar

Post#11  Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:42 am  Reply with quote + 
I lost a handful of NES games at one time. My original NES system was dying on me and we had left it at my grandmother's house so we could play it there since i had a number of other systems at home when i was alot younger. Anyway they could hardly ever get it to work, I usually didn't have much of a problem. no more then any other person with an NES anyway.

Anyway! They told me they were getting rid of the system and they were gonna give the games away. So I was young and its not like I could say no and put up a big fuss about it so I knew they didn't know the entire collection so I horded my 6-7 of my favorites and hid them in my bag and brought them home, the rest I let them give away which was probably another 10ish at the time.

I don't miss most of them, a couple baseball games, I replaced my copies of a few of them like super mario bros/duck hunt, one game I just really miss though and can never find anywhere is this cool game called Metal Storm. You played as this robot with a cannon and you ran across the screen killing enemies but it had a really cool twist. When you press the jump button again while in the air you would invert your characters gravity and be on the ceiling almost like in the death egg stages of Sonic and Knuckles but you could change it whenever you wanted to and needed to do it to get past obstacles or defeat certain enemies. I remember the game being really fun though it starts getting difficult quick since I think your character could only take 1-3 hits before he exploded. I'm gonna have to buy myself a copy on Ebay sometimes. I really want to have it again.
DragonBomber
Bomberman

Post#12  Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:44 pm  Reply with quote + 
My mother was too much of a packrat to get rid of our gaming systems. We bought more stuff from people getting out and generally were one system behind everyone else. Meant cheap games, but you were very cool in school. Everyone had NES out in Cali when we had Atari 2600. I might have had over 200 games, but they had the new stuff. It was mostly me chasing deals from kids before their parents could unload the consoles at a yard sale or whatever, with more than once me wandering into someone's house with a couple bucks hoping to score. The best example was this kid I didn't even know taking me to his house, where their Spanish mother began yelling at them and I could not understand most of it except the cussing. I did end up with the atari game in question at the price he promised, but it turned out, years later when I began collecting the games, that it was merely a variant of another game. ie, I had bought the cheaper Sears Telegames version of an Atari game, so in the long run it was the same game as I would later buy due to the different name given one versus the others. Thus, I saved nothing in the end.

Making up your own stories to the crazy Atari games was easier than the NES games, I found. Mainly since the NES games that we didn't have manuals for often were too detailed and you couldn't make up a fake story and play away for hours in blissful ignorance as easily. Though, NES games often were more fun, though there were exceptions.
Bomberjack

Post#13  Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:15 pm  Reply with quote + 
Funny you mention that Dragon, my bro and I used to make up our own silly plots and characters in games (of course, this was back when we were small, like 4-7ish). Those were pretty fun things to do.

Honestly, I kinda wished my NES collection was a bit bigger, but I also don't really know what else I'd want for it. There isn't really much else I want for my NES that I don't already have (or have instant access to). I'm more of a current-gen gamer as well, although I do also tend to play my PS2/GCN games as well (with everything else I have being a uncommon, but not rare occurrence).

It is kind of interesting to note I used to enjoy playing my handheld consoles a lot back when I was younger, but not so much anymore. Whether or not it's because there isn't much I want from this generation's selection or for other reasons, I cannot say.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#14  Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:23 pm  Reply with quote + 
Yeah I'm kind of an oldschool gamer. I like reading up on older games from the 16bit - 32bit era and tracking them down. I love my SNES and Saturn and I recently got a PC-Engine Duo for the valis and eventually the Ys games.

I'm not much into modern games and the ones I do play are mostly 2D games on the PS2.
Mighty
Bomberman

Post#15  Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:03 pm  Reply with quote + 
I used to have a NES, but it no longer worked so I had to throw it away. I finally found where it was after several years to see it no longer works. I really wanted to play Super Mario Bros. 3. :(
BlueBomberman
Board Moderator

Post#16  Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:15 pm  Reply with quote + 
Yeah, I with Regulus here. I'm actually playing some older NES / SNES / Genesis games that were good but I never bothered since I was too obsessed with Sonic, Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda games as a kid to care about the 3rd parties. I've been doing such using roms and an old retro game store near my college town. They actually had a Saturn and a Sega CD there but I didn't bother since they didn't have any worthwhile games.

Right now I'm trying to finish Fire Emblem 4 (Seisen non Keifu), Shining Force II (I'm almost at the end), and the GBA remake of Final Fantasy I... and start playing Breath of Fire 1 and a few other games I've already beaten. I just beat Final Fantasy VI a few weeks ago for the first time, FFI, FFIII, and FFVI were the only ones I could get into.

I don't much care for these newer games nowadays, it's too focused on GFX and gimmicks rather than actually making the game fun and with good replay value. Nintendo and Capcom are probably one of the few game companies left who still realizes that people still want that kind of thing.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#17  Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:11 am  Reply with quote + 
Nice selection Blue! I haven't played a Fire emblem in awhile. I've been meaning to finish the new remake of the first game on DS but still haven't done so. I recently added Shining Force III Scenario 2 to my collection which i have been wanting to own/play for awhile now. I just have to find a translation for it since it's import only.

If you like Breath of Fire, you should definately hunt down a copy of Breath of Fire III, That's one of my favorite PS1 games ever and among my favorite RPGs! It has an amazing soundtrack, awesome cast and great dialougue. There are some annoying quests you have to do that can drag the game here and there but overall it's a real pleasure to play through. Also you don't have to play them in order although Breath of Fire II is also fun. I've never played the first one.

Capcom still releases some pretty good stuff but even a good portion of Nintendo's stuff is really gimmicky these days. It's too bad really. When I buy newer games I get mostly niche stuff from Nippon Ichi and Atlus. The last new videogame I bought was Blaz Blue: Calamity Trigger which is a pretty awesome fighting game.
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#18  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:55 am  Reply with quote + 
Seeing as Fire Emblem was brought into this, has anyone played Fire Emblem Gaiden... It's quite certainly my favorite in the series. Less emphasis on triangles, magic cast from hitpoints items that didn't degrade (but were harder to get) and never having to buy items again. Plus a fancy over-world map to boot so you get a decent feel for the area you're fighting in. And perhaps most importantly control of a good portion of your units level up trees was a pretty nice system for someone who likes strategy games and fire emblem but prefers not to be annoyed by some of it's more annoying traits. Sadly after you learn how to abuse these differences the difficulty goes way down.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#19  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:26 am  Reply with quote + 
AoBman05 wrote:
I don't much care for these newer games nowadays, it's too focused on GFX and gimmicks rather than actually making the game fun and with good replay value.

What annoys me even more than that are the -players- who refuse to play old games (even N64 ones!) on the basis that they don't think the graphics are that great. For me, SNES games have great graphics. It doesn't have to be top-of-the-line 3D trying to look as real as possible.

As for NES games, of course some of the ones that everyone knows like the Megaman series, Zelda, Kirby, and Mario come to mind, but also some like Fire'N'Ice and Boulder Dash were interesting, they were more puzzle-oriented but also had the different worlds you had to go through. Adventures of Lolo was good too.

I don't personally own an NES. I have a self-modified SNES with a Super Gameboy adapter, I'm pretty sure there is supposed to be an NES adapter for it as well but I've never gotten around to finding one.
dakirbydude
Bomberman

Post#20  Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:51 pm  Reply with quote + 
Dark Zaphe wrote:
AoBman05 wrote:
I don't much care for these newer games nowadays, it's too focused on GFX and gimmicks rather than actually making the game fun and with good replay value.

What annoys me even more than that are the -players- who refuse to play old games (even N64 ones!) on the basis that they don't think the graphics are that great. For me, SNES games have great graphics. It doesn't have to be top-of-the-line 3D trying to look as real as possible.

I mean graphics are nice at times, but they aren't that big of a deal. Of course it's cool to play a shooter game and it seem like you're playing in a real world, but 16 bit graphics appeal to me too. I don't really judge on graphics because graphics don't make a video game have something important: gameplay. For example, I was watching E3 this year and I saw this game for PlayStation 3 that looked like the gameplay was pretty bad but the graphics were beautiful. I know what game I won't be buying if I ever get a PS3 :P

I simply wish more people in the gaming industry today focused less on graphics and motion controls (and video games grandmas will play lol) and tried to make their games fun in the long run.
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 3 Page: 1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2299s
Index - Back to Top