Old NES games?
[Replies: 50]  [Views: 9194]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General

Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#21  Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:00 pm  Reply with quote + 
It sucks how hard it is to try to find good new games nowadays. Honestly, all I ever really buy now are sequels/spin-offs to games I liked before. If I do get a new game, it's more often then not because it's similar to other games I've played.

I can safely say that I'm not really impressed with today's generation. I'm not really interested in that motion-sensor stuff that Wii is currently hyping about, and I'm not a sucker for graphics like most of today's "gamers". And I'm certainly not interested in playing games that apparently had my grandma in mind. I'll be completely honest here, since I got the Wii a couple of years ago, I only have 9 games for it (not including 2 I got with purchases of Wii and Zapper). And there has only been a couple of games I'm interested in playing.

Honestly, what happened? What happened to a game just being fun and entertaining or even, may I dare say it, try something new and different, something that has never been done before. Since when did graphics and gimmicks suddenly make games what they are? Nowadays, it seems like someone can just use a "tried-and-true" formula and they automatically can make a game that sells, even if it's horribly made and/or just doesn't work.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
View user profile Send Private Message
dakirbydude
Bomberman

Post#22  Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:22 pm  Reply with quote + 
Well really, I'm good at finding awesome Wii games because I enjoy mine, but it might be easier to enjoy this generation of gaming if I bought a different console. Now that I just started my senior year of high school and have college ahead, I wonder if a few years from now I'll still play games. I'm sure I will at least a little bit, but I have a job, life and probably a family ahead of me so I just won't have time for that anymore.

I read that about 48% of the Wii's software sales were from only first party games and also guitar hero/rockband. If that's all that sells on the Nintendo Wii, it's a nightmare for 3rd party and that's why a lot of good games fail to come out, but I'm good at separating the good and unknown from the bad. (After all, I'm a Bomberman fan, and I have my own taste for video games and I also know about all those games that nobody's heard of. EarthBound/mother, you name it)

I kind of wish today was more like NES and Super Nintendo games because that's when things were better. The GameCube, Xbox, and I suppose PS2 (heard it's the best, but didn't really play it a lot, but I own the other two cosoles of last gen) still had a lot of awesome games on it that could entertain and not fail to be fun. These days, it's the marketing strategy of putting Mario or Sonic or Master Chief on a box and expecting sales, and it works. (Hey, Sonic isn't doing too well, let's give him a sword and people will be like :D until they start playing, but the sale is all that matters to them it seems) In a failing economy the video games still sell like mad, so it seems like a lot of people who shouldn't be making them do. Another stupid marketing strategy is making a game such as "Eduardo the samurai toaster" that really has almost nothing to do with any of that but the title is so random it makes people laugh and they buy it.

I'm not too happy with video games these days, but there's still a great number of awesome games if you look for them.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#23  Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:40 pm  Reply with quote + 
dakirbydude wrote:
I wonder if a few years from now I'll still play games. I'm sure I will at least a little bit, but I have a job, life and probably a family ahead of me so I just won't have time for that anymore.

Kind of depends more on you than things you supposedly "have" to do. My brother has lived with his girlfriend for several years, and they both have jobs but seem to like sitting around playing video games and watching movies and TV show seasons (they have a lot of both). They do other stuff, but it doesn't mean you have to give things up you enjoy because of what outsiders supposedly think is "right" or "natural".

But anyway.

dakirbydude wrote:
"Eduardo the samurai toaster"

After looking that up, I'm kind of upset that the title wasn't as completely random as it seemed at first. It's a stupid marketing ploy, but somehow the idea of an incredibly awesome game with a mostly serious plot, and a name that has absolutely NOTHING to do with it seems great. As long as it was only done once.

I agree with you all about how gimmicky the gaming industry is getting. And seriously, does Playstation really need a motion sensor remote too? Oh whatever, let them do what they want, they'll see. They'll all see!! Fools, I'll destroy them all, Bwahaha!!! :hilarious:  But they won't. And that's a shame.
dakirbydude
Bomberman

Post#24  Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:57 pm  Reply with quote + 
Dark Zaphe wrote:
dakirbydude wrote:
"Eduardo the samurai toaster"

After looking that up, I'm kind of upset that the title wasn't as completely random as it seemed at first. It's a stupid marketing ploy, but somehow the idea of an incredibly awesome game with a mostly serious plot, and a name that has absolutely NOTHING to do with it seems great. As long as it was only done once..

Well, there's a lot of games like that on Wii Ware, but that's probably the one with the most random name. Sega made a game where you throw a virtual ball and play catch in the backyard. Nintendo made a video game where you cut hair. And there's more than 50 companies nobody's ever heard of that have only made a game on Wii Ware and nothing else. There are companies that actually make games for the Wii Ware such as Capcom, Hudson, Telltale Games, and Square Enix. (The Hudson part isn't on bias of a Bomberman fan; Nintendo recognized Bomberman Blast as one of the very best Wii Ware games a year after Wii Ware came out, and Hudson's 10 other games actually have gameplay.)

I'm pretty disappointed with the Wii Ware because every time I look through the titles, it looks worse and worse. There are roughly 120 Wii Ware games and I have trouble finding even 20 worth considering purchasing.

I remember when back in the NES days, Nintendo would have a little seal on every game released, and if it didn't live up to a certain amount of quality, it couldn't be release on their consoles. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if they even put that seal on their products anymore. *goes and checks* Well it's on the back of boxes now, but it appears they don't care much for the quality of the games coming to their system any longer (XD) Back in the days of the NES, a company tried to release games compatible without Nintendo's approval that weren't of a certain quality standard, and Nintendo won that lawsuit. That was in the mid to late 80's... And now, random trash gets released to the point the Wii shop is starting to look bad. It's kind of sad what they've turned into...Playstation and Xbox aren't that way. It's possible to find video games on their store that are fun for more than 10 minutes. :/ I kind of haven't been that happy with Nintendo for quite a while, and I'm sad they keep releasing things not even a 5 year old would think is good on their shops for a quick buck (when it even works, I don't really know many people that buy much Wii Ware, and I certainly don't.)
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#25  Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:38 pm  Reply with quote + 
When you said there was a video game where you cut hair, it sounded like a joke. >_<

But by the way, now that we're talking about the Wii Shop, I just realized that I forgot it had NES games on it. They seem to have a lot of the classics, but somehow I don't think they'll ever have all the ones that I want on it.

Which reminds me, anyone heard of Console Classix? Seems I've mentioned it before, but it's worth bringing up in this topic because you can play a lot of NES games for free, and legally too. It's like a rental service, where they own all the games and you can play them on their emulator so long as there are copies that no one is playing at the time. It's worth checking out, especially since there are games on there you'll probably never find and it makes it easy to try out different games to see if they're any good.
dakirbydude
Bomberman

Post#26  Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:58 pm  Reply with quote + 
That video game does exist, and it's made by Nintendo of all people. I'm sad to say there is almost nothing of quality on the Wii Ware :/
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#27  Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:25 pm  Reply with quote + 
I know you meant it's a real game. I'm saying it sounds like a punchline. As in "Shaq Fu? I'd rather play a video game where you cut hair! Hahaha, haha.... what? That exists?...."
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#28  Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:48 am  Reply with quote + 
fireball87 wrote:
Seeing as Fire Emblem was brought into this, has anyone played Fire Emblem Gaiden... It's quite certainly my favorite in the series. Less emphasis on triangles, magic cast from hitpoints items that didn't degrade (but were harder to get) and never having to buy items again. Plus a fancy over-world map to boot so you get a decent feel for the area you're fighting in. And perhaps most importantly control of a good portion of your units level up trees was a pretty nice system for someone who likes strategy games and fire emblem but prefers not to be annoyed by some of it's more annoying traits. Sadly after you learn how to abuse these differences the difficulty goes way down.

Wow, that sounds more like a more advanced kind of Shining Force game then a Fire Emblem. I can't say for sure since I have not played it myself.

I think weapon breakage was one of the cool things that made Fire Emblem unique. You could always just buy or find more weapons so it wasn't that big a deal in the end.

A fancy overworld map would be nice. Sacred stones had a very cold-cut overworld map that was only really there to serve the purpose of overworld map. Most of the other Fire emblem's I've played don't even have one.

As for getting to that Wiiware, I also agree that a very large percentage of it's selection looks really lame and I wouldn't even consider trying most of them.

SSJ-Sonic 254 wrote:
It sucks how hard it is to try to find good new games nowadays. Honestly, all I ever really buy now are sequels/spin-offs to games I liked before. If I do get a new game, it's more often then not because it's similar to other games I've played.

lol this is me too. Just add games with an anime theme to the list of interest and that's my standpoint. I'm a sucker for anime based games.

I foolishly purchased "family table hockey" or whatever it's called on Wiiware cause I liked the cute characters. The game really was lousy but my bro and I had alittle fun with it just fooling around and making fun of it.

Dark Zaphe wrote:
As for NES games, of course some of the ones that everyone knows like the Megaman series, Zelda, Kirby, and Mario come to mind, but also some like Fire'N'Ice and Boulder Dash were interesting, they were more puzzle-oriented but also had the different worlds you had to go through. Adventures of Lolo was good too.

I don't personally own an NES. I have a self-modified SNES with a Super Gameboy adapter, I'm pretty sure there is supposed to be an NES adapter for it as well but I've never gotten around to finding one.

Nice! I have a Super gameboy as well. I used to love playing Pokemon (Before Pokemon Stadium came out) and Battle Arena Toshinden on it. I've never heard of an NES adapter for Super NES but I suppose its certainly possible. There is a Master system adapter for Sega Genesis after all.

There are tons of great games on NES (as well as all the old systems) that no one has ever heard of! Metal Storm and Star Tropics are a couple I'd like to mention. I've almost bought Adventures of Lolo on numerous occasions at Funcoland. It's too bad I never did. I can never find it nowadays.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#29  Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:57 pm  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
I foolishly purchased "family table hockey" or whatever it's called on Wiiware cause I liked the cute characters. The game really was lousy but my bro and I had alittle fun with it just fooling around and making fun of it.

Heheh, all this talk about Wii Games... a week or so ago some friends and I had to waste a few hours (a classic arcade appeared recently), so we went around to different game stores. In GameStop they had that Wii Sports Resort game up and running, and some minigame where you beat the opponent with a stick on a platform above water. Well, my friend picked up the remote, started the match, and just flailed it around until the opponent flew off. I thought that maybe if you had an actual person to compete with, it may be interesting, but unfortunately a human opponent would probably also abuse the game by flailing around the remote. I've played the boxing before with someone and there's no strategy because people just swing around like mad.
Ashtarth
Bomberdude

Post#30  Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:19 pm  Reply with quote + 
Since this thread is now about the Wii..

I hope you guys are ready to control Epona and Yoshi a NEW INNOVATIVE WAY

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/11/nintendo-patents-inflatable-cushion-you-know-for-horseback-r/
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#31  Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:06 am  Reply with quote + 
lol more "innovative" crap from Nintendo. Wheeee!

I hate all these devices. It's supposed to simulate horseback riding huh? You rock back and forth to make the horse move? That's backwards. You're supposed to rock back and forth when the horse moves. Thats what these devices should be made for. Realism, not interactivity.

It's the same thing with the Wii remote. If you're playing a tennis game with if it doesn't matter which direction you swing it in. all it can do is make sure you swung it at the right time. It wouldn't matter if you swung it in the wrong direction. You can just flail the thing wildly and never lose.

Christ Nintendo....

Enough allready.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#32  Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:10 am  Reply with quote + 
What.... the.... :normal: 

Okay. I can't see how an entire game would be based around this... but, whatever. I guess we'll see. Maybe the trigger button on the Nunchuk would be used to fire lasers. You know, from the horses eyes. And you could control the direction of the lasers with the analog stick. Super Wii Horseback Deathmatch EXTREEEME II. :flame: 
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#33  Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:01 am  Reply with quote + 
My whole point is these devices aren't doing what they should do.

It's not so much that all the games are boring. There are a few games that still manage to be fun while having Wii controls, it's just the Wii controls almost don't feel necessary. It doesn't really enhance the gameplay much/if at all if the execution isn't precise or doing what it's supposed to.

If you want to simulate horseback riding you'll need a device the reacts to what happens in the game not a game that reacts to a device.

One of the coolest arcade games I've played is the Jurassic Park light gun game where you ride in the jeep and shoot dinosaurs. As you go over hills the whole jeep you're sitting in rocks around and shoots you up as you go over hills and stuff. It was awesome! Then add to that the light guns and you've got a game that really pulls you in and helps you experience it. You almost feel like you're riding in a jeep fighting for your life against dinosaurs.

Maybe I'm exagerating a bit about the Jurassic Park game but sitting on an inflatable cushion rocking back and forth isn't gonna make me feel like I'm riding on a horse.

I'll just feel like an idiot, like most of the other Wiimote control type games I've tried have made me feel.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#34  Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:08 pm  Reply with quote + 
What you say definitely makes sense. I actually was writing that post at the same time you wrote yours, I'm not sure how they ended up like that... must have missed it.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#35  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:16 am  Reply with quote + 
Ah yes. I see what happened now. I finished my post a bit before you did. lol, Yeah my bad. Seeing it after my post makes you seem like you're in disagreement or maybe confused, but if i was before mine it would've looked like a regular reply.

Ah well. The Jurassic Park game still deserves mention since it was so awesome.

BTW

Quote:
Super Wii Horseback Deathmatch EXTREEEME II.

If they really could make a legitimate device for horseback riding, a game about Jousting would probably be pretty awesome.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#36  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:16 pm  Reply with quote + 
Regulus wrote:
It's not so much that all the games are boring. There are a few games that still manage to be fun while having Wii controls, it's just the Wii controls almost don't feel necessary. It doesn't really enhance the gameplay much/if at all if the execution isn't precise or doing what it's supposed to.

I kind of feel the same way towards the console, although I can't say that things are looking better for the Wii as time goes on (to me, anyway). It's got some nice games, but that's kind of all it has going for it. It's definitely not a single-player kind of console, which is a huge problem for me because I'm usually stuck playing games by myself. If you took a good look at my collection of games, you'll notice that 75-80% of them are single-player games (may or may not be an accurate figure, but I'm much too lazy to actually check them all). I've considered getting games like WarioWare, Mario Party, and even Mario Kart for it, but it's simply not worth it to me since it's more often then not just me playing these games. And everyone should know that one player + games intended for groups/parties = NOT a whole lot of fun for said player.
I mentioned it to you over the weekend and it's probably completely irrelevant to you, but Nintendo made an attachment a while back that actually completely replicates what kind of swings and stuff you do.

Yeah, that's right. An attachment. They didn't remake the Wii Remotes to do, you know, what the Wii was so heavily advertised on doing. They made a separate attachment instead so you can't have your Nunchuck or anything unless you disconnect said attachment. Way to go, Nintendo. Way to go.

But yeah, amongst the few Wii games I play semi-regularly and enjoy are light-gun games, because those kind of games actually work on the Wii and you don't need different controllers to enjoy them (of course, the Zapper/various gun attachments only enhance the experience).

Reggy wrote:
One of the coolest arcade games I've played is the Jurassic Park light gun game where you ride in the jeep and shoot dinosaurs.

That's an awesome game. I swear, if we ever see that one again, we're going to spend at least five bucks in quarters on that game. XD

Reggy wrote:
Maybe I'm exagerating a bit about the Jurassic Park game but sitting on an inflatable cushion rocking back and forth isn't gonna make me feel like I'm riding on a horse.

I'll just feel like an idiot, like most of the other Wiimote control type games I've tried have made me feel.

I lol'ed. XD

I can see it now.

WII YOSHI RIDERS - Now you can finally fulfill your childhood dreams and ride on Yoshi!

Reggy wrote:
If they really could make a legitimate device for horseback riding, a game about Jousting would probably be pretty awesome.

Yeah, if done correctly. If it's just something like them Wii (insert some kind of word related to the game here), then no thanks. XD I'd never be able to take that kind of game very seriously at all if it's like those.

But you know what would be even better?

Sequel to Yoshi's Safari. Am I right? : DDDD

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
Ashtarth
Bomberdude

Post#37  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:55 pm  Reply with quote + 
Btw, i'm pretty sure theres a slot to plug in the nunchuk in the back. I may be wrong though
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#38  Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:14 am  Reply with quote + 
SSJ-Sonic 254 wrote:
But you know what would be even better?

Sequel to Yoshi's Safari. Am I right? : DDDD

That is a day I pray for my friend. Yoshi's Safari is an amazing game and it must simply comeback. Even a modernized remake would be badass.
Mighty
Bomberman

Post#39  Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:29 pm  Reply with quote + 
Who came up with that stupid inflatable controller so it looks like you're riding the horse?? That is the most un-needed game controller I've ever seen.
And about the modern games, some of them I like, some I don't like. The modern games for Turok and Banjo Kazooie completely ruined the series. Turok 2008 has realistic reloading systems (something I despise very much), no Cerebral Bore, too many types of Raptors, not enough of other kinds of Dinosaurs, no raptor in multiplayer, and is more like the Call of Duty games. Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts is just using Vehicles to get stuff done. Microsoft ruined Banjo Kazooie, Touchstone ruined Turok. What next? Mario not being aloud to jump or something? Sonic not a speed demon? Master Cheif copying Samus even more? All the modern features of games are just pointless. The Wii Control System is something I despise. Whenever I look for Wii Games, they MUST be GameCube Controller Compatible for me to want to buy it. If they don't have it, they'd better hope the Controls are not too much about Motion Sensors or stuff. I despise all of those motion sensing games (although LoZ: Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption are one of few exceptions). What I'm wondering is if Nintendo or anyone else is even listening to the fans. The fans Nitendo want to listen to approve the games, the fans that they should listen to do not approve at all. See where I'm going with this?
Ashtarth
Bomberdude

Post#40  Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:50 pm  Reply with quote + 
Maybe you can ride Louie with it...

I can dream ;_;
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 2 of 3 Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2451s
Index - Back to Top