Legato's Thread of Bomberman Stuff
[Replies: 117]  [Views: 28398]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General

legato
Bomberman

Post#81  Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:14 pm  Reply with quote + 
Today Ragey shared with me another obscure cameo: Gachapin Challenge DS. For those curious, Gachapin is basically the equivalent of Japanese Barney. It's a guy in a costume on a show that's for young children. Hudson Soft developed the game and well, here we are.

The main game is a series of minigames featuring Gachapin while there exists a separate mode which is basically Bomberman DS' multiplayer. Funnily enough, he appears right on the cover of the box. How did we ever miss this?

[Collapse] Gachapin Challenge DS

Last edited by legato on Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:42 am
View user profile Send Private Message
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#82  Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:28 pm  Reply with quote + 
Finally, I have an explanation for some of the bombermerch I was seeing on YJA......

AO3 | deviantArt | Tumblr
Bluesky | Twitter | Ko-Fi
Bombermanga | Bomber Base | B-Daman Now, Dog!

If I don't wield the bomb, I can't protect you. If I keep wielding the bomb, I can't embrace you.
legato
Bomberman

Post#83  Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:56 pm  Reply with quote + 
Sora G. Silverwind wrote:
Finally, I have an explanation for some of the bombermerch I was seeing on YJA......

Well now you have to share with us. :wink: 
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#84  Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:23 am  Reply with quote + 
I'm not sure if I saw it recently, but I think I saw at least one phone strap for this particular collab. I'll troll the auctions again soon and see if anything pops up.

If I don't wield the bomb, I can't protect you. If I keep wielding the bomb, I can't embrace you.
Fuzzy Pickles
Bombertrainee

Post#85  Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:18 pm  Reply with quote + 
legato wrote:
Today Ragey shared with me another obscure cameo: Gachapin Challenge DS. For those curious, Gachapin is basically the equivalent of Japanese Barney. It's a guy in a costume on a show that's for young children. Hudson Soft developed the game and well, here we are.

The main game is a series of minigames featuring Gachapin while there exists a separate mode which is basically Bomberman DS' multiplayer. Funnily enough, he appears right on the cover of the box. How did we ever miss this?

[Collapse] Gachapin Challenge DS

I won't lie, that is weird. Then again, Japanese probably think the same towards our products.

It's fascinating how Bomberman managed to get a reference in a Japanese's Barney. I am curious, is the game any good by itself?
legato
Bomberman

Post#86  Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:23 pm  Reply with quote + 
The actual gameplay with Gachapin is terrible. It's aimed for little kids so it's bogged down with too much dialogue and are really lackluster games in general. I will admit a few were a tad challenging but its not worth trying at all. I'd stick to the Bomberman mode and that's assuming you even wanna try this game.
Fuzzy Pickles
Bombertrainee

Post#87  Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:17 pm  Reply with quote + 
legato wrote:
The actual gameplay with Gachapin is terrible. It's aimed for little kids so it's bogged down with too much dialogue and are really lackluster games in general. I will admit a few were a tad challenging but its not worth trying at all. I'd stick to the Bomberman mode and that's assuming you even wanna try this game.
I wasn't planning on buying it anyway so it doesn't surprise me that the gameplay is bad. Still, it's a neat look into Bomberman history, as anything regarding him is.
legato
Bomberman

Post#88  Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:50 pm  Reply with quote + 
Hello all. It's been a while since I've done a more thorough write up so here's one for you. Today I have some info on Bomberman B-Daman for Super Famicom.

[Collapse] Bomberman B-Daman (Famicom)
Now many of you may know of this game but little else. Essentially there are 100 stages in the main campaign. In each stage, it shows a preview of what the puzzle will look like and then you get to try your hand at it. You can only fire one marble per attempt and you must time and angle it right to destroy all the bombs that appear on screen. A simple enough concept except getting a perfect score is much more demanding.

Each set of 10 stages must be played as a set. You get two attempts to try each stage but in order to get a perfect score of 100 for each stage, you must clear them on the first try. This adds a lot of replay value and challenge but can feel kinda cheap in some ways. What's weird is that each time you attempt one of the sets, the order of the stages is rearranged so it forces you to stay alert.

The stages vary in atmosphere from a training ground to a jungle, a beach, outer space, and then a soccer style stadium. Along with that the mechanics change slightly so it helps things stay fresh. One of the interesting things I saw was a new type of bomb. When struck with a marble, it spits out two bombs in opposing directions. I only saw this in one (two?) stages total.

Another cool Easter egg is the appearance of the Dastardly Bombers. I'm taking a few liberties saying this but it does suggest that the enemies we see are them. They don't play any role in the story, just as an obstacle.

The World Bombers can even be seen in the final areas.

Thanks to the power of save states, I was able to clear this game with a perfect score. When you win, a few things change. The title screen changes the color of Bomberman as well as the music. It also changes the color of the marble you fire in the main game.

It also unlocks two new modes: Special and Survival. In Special, you play through 10 random stages from the main game and you have the option of adding power ups to your Bomberman. The image to the left is your original character while the middle one includes most of the powerups. Let me explain them:

-The head will show a cursor on the stage that indicates which bomb to aim for.
-The blue wings effect the angle of the marble (or so I believe.)
-The skates allow Bomberman to move left and right more quickly.
-The red marble is like a bowling ball. It will smash through multiple bombs instead of exploding on impact.
-The far right image with the yellow cannon fires multiple marbles from it, only usable with the standard marble.

Survival mode has you play through all the stages in an attempt to clean sweep them. I'll have more on this later, assuming I'm sane enough to get through it.

Finally here's a short GIF of the ending.

That's about it for now. I completed a playthrough so if anyone wants to see more of this game feel free: https://youtu.be/9hsUBtbcSqM

Thanks for reading Bomberpals.

Last edited by legato on Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:43 am
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#89  Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:07 pm  Reply with quote + 
Thanks as always for the work you do, Legato! That B-Daman game has an interesting mechanic, although it does also sound a little frustrating.

I realized that I never followed up on my promise to find Gachabomber merch, so I took a gander just now. Suddenly I can't find anything on Yahoo!Japan auctions -- used to be that I'd find a thing every couple of pages.

So I ran a super quick Google Images search to see what came up. I actually don't think I saw any of this on YJA, which is interesting. These are all hosted on Pinterest because I got lazy and just pinned it to my Bombermerch Pinterest board, so...sorry if that offends anyone? :oops: 

1) A screen cleaner, I think: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/400468591863028440/

2) A keychain: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/400468591863028450/

3) A plush keychain: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/400468591863028458/

legato
Bomberman

Post#90  Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:51 pm  Reply with quote + 
Hey Bomber friends. Today we're gonna be talking about Same Game for Super Famicom.

[Collapse] Same Game

As you can see, Bomberman is right there alongside other Hudson favorites but strangely enough, I haven't encountered him yet. According to Ragey's site and the manual itself, it seems the only time Bomberman appears is in the form of icons that can be used during the main mode in Same Game. I believe they have to be unlocked in some way and my skill is rough in that section so I'll have to try again later. At the least the title confirms he's there.

What's interesting though is how this game really puts Honey and Kotetsu into the lime light. They appear on every menu, multiplayer mode and the challenge mode. It's all about them! As I mentioned there are three modes. The main mode has you select your difficulty and then try to clear the stage. In Same Game all you really try to do is click on two or more touching icons and they disappear, causing the remaining pieces to move in closer. You must think ahead in order to clear the board entirely. The main mode also allows you to choose your icons, hence where I believe the Hudson properties come in to play.

The multiplayer mode is interesting but a bit weird. It's the same concept but the players take turns. You select an icon and it changes into something else. What determines this, I have no clue. If you change it into something that can connect, you score so it can't be too complex. You play as either Honey or Kotetsu and it's cute to see their rivalry (?) pasted all over this mode.

Finally there's the challenge mode. Clear the board under certain conditions. Sometimes you have to clear them all while other stages will have you trying to connect all of a certain color or earn a certain number of points. It's a bit tough near the end and there are 50 stages in total. What's neat is that after each set of 10 stages, you see one of the following images:

Such a silly little moment. Even weirder is when you clear stage 50 you get the credits sequence which shows this:

That's right. The two of them ride off together into the sunset. Those two make a great pair, almost like a brother and sister they way they compete but also share the good times.

In an effort to condense space in my posts, here is a cluster of random screenshots that show the duo.

I've never really paid any mind to them in the past. I'm aware of them and usually chose Bomber characters over them, but this game caused me to want to sit down and analyze this further. Just who are these characters? Are they based on real people? Would they be considered part of the Bomberman franchise or the Hudson itself franchise? What is their relationship? I was only left with burning questions the more I played this game.

I'll share more in the future, should I make any real progress but this was so unexpected I couldn't wait to share what I already had. Thank you friends and let me know what you can find out about these two. I'd love to hear from you.

Last edited by legato on Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:44 am
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#91  Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:17 pm  Reply with quote + 
Kotetsu's victory screen is incredibly amusing with what I know about the two.
legato
Bomberman

Post#92  Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:00 pm  Reply with quote + 
Hey everyone. I recently finished playing the N64 titles and figured I would share the save states with everyone. I know these games are popular and are a bit long so hopefully this helps. If anyone ever has a request for certain save files/states, just let me know.

N64 titles save states: https://mega.nz/#!6GhiQAQJ!EZrICgImt-6ZE9poXbHB5VhIHxm6ohHReTcSuUIOgd0

Saved these with Project 64 2.3.
legato
Bomberman

Post#93  Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:16 am  Reply with quote + 
Some time ago, we were discussing the German Club Nintendo comics. I had all but forgotten them and went digging through my hard drive when there they were. In the link below, every single comic exists in its original German version, while about half were translated into English by some guy who I found online years ago.

Also included is the Wario Christmas Tale, as scanlated by our pal Sora. I figured it was worth sharing, considering the original links are dead.

https://mega.nz/#F!iagHAYDB!NrYYpYw4jVsw8SGeg-lekA
legato
Bomberman

Post#94  Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:11 pm  Reply with quote + 
Many of you may have seen me posting GIFs around. Well I figured I'd share my Bomberman GIF collection with everyone. In this pack I have nearly 250 GIFs from the various games I've covered. It's very heavy on the 64 games fyi.

Edit: new link

https://mega.nz/#F!KeQHXAoI!B2E9h63ctkFRj4vEmZSuZw

Last edited by legato on Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:40 am
legato
Bomberman

Post#95  Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:04 am  Reply with quote + 
Hey all. I've been busy working on GIFs from the Panic Bomber games. I've included all expressions from Panic Bomber PC-E and Super Bomberman Panic Bomber W. I've created well over 100 GIFs of just these games alone so there's a lot to see. I even made a few from the various Japanese commercials. Below are some of the more fun/interesting ones I've made.

[Collapse] Super Bomberman Panic Bomber W

[Collapse] Japanese Bomberman Commercials

Edit: I almost forgot this. I ripped and brightened up all the backgrounds in Super Bomberman Panic Bomber W. Makes for a nice wallpaper.

[Collapse] Backgrounds

Full size link: https://i.imgur.com/FTCrrRZ.jpg

Last edited by legato on Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:17 am
legato
Bomberman

Post#96  Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:23 pm  Reply with quote + 
More Panic Bomber stuff pals. First here's the multiplayer backgrounds from Super Bomberman Panic Bomber W.

[Collapse] Multiplayer Backgrounds

Next I've updated my GIF collection to include all the expressions from Panic Bomber for Virtual Boy. All the GIFs are featured in the purple color scheme. I started to do them in red but it's just too hard on the eyes, even as purple it's still a bit much at times. I made a comparison image so you guys can judge for yourselves but again the ones I made are all in purple.

Collection: https://mega.nz/#F!KeQHXAoI!B2E9h63ctkFRj4vEmZSuZw
legato
Bomberman

Post#97  Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:47 am  Reply with quote + 
Greetings all. Time for another obscure write up. Today it's Bomberman Hardball.

[Collapse] Bomberman Hardball
So this game features a few sports and a life mode where you can play as Bomberman characters. You can think of it like Hudson's attempt at being like the Mario sports titles and it does feel that way in a sense. The classic battle mode is here so I'll discuss a few things there first.

I played Hardball which is the European version of this game and in it, many of the names are different from what we know. White is Ivory, Black is Star, and Green is Jade. I can't confirm if this is the same in the Japanese version but it's strange we've never seen their names changed like this before. Black being changed to Star makes no sense to me.

I should point out this game uses a lot of sound effects from the Land series and almost feels like a spin off of that series, given the returning characters.

They also renamed some of Settings for battle mode. Knack is the Revenge Bomber mode or "Meanie Bomber" as they call it and Interlopers if the skull setting. It tells you this in the description so I don't know why they even changed it at all.

One cool aspect is this slot machine. Basically a slot machine rolls for each character at the start of the match and I'm not sure if the players gets those items or they appear somewhere in the stage. It's a neat idea though. Besides all this, everything else remains the same, just that the characters wear helmets. I suppose that makes it seem more like an exhibition of sorts.

Now we have Life Mode which is different. You're in this bedroom controlling a custom Bomberman you can make. Using the remote control, you can select one of the sports games/battle and actually spectate a cpu match on television. So if you wanted to just watch a demo of this game, you can do that as your custom character which is just pointless. I believe you can edit this in the settings to where it lets you play the games instead of watch them but I didn't care enough to even try. The room however, is cool to look at. Lots of Bomberman themed objects in here.

So the customization is controlled through the Prize machine. You can use it with points you earn by playing the regular modes. Each sports game has a tournament mode so I recommend doing those to earn points faster. It costs 100 points for a single item and I still haven't unlocked them all. I did find a few weird items, including a nude skin for your Bomberman so they went there for some reason...

Oh the joys of customization.

Next are the three sports games: Baseball, Golf, and Tennis. They all control really easily and remind me a lot of how the Mario titles play. Baseball is probably the most autonomous as you can set most of the abilities to semiauto or auto so the game can most of the heavy lifting for you. Golf and Tennis have almost no customization with settings.

One cool thing I noticed is every mode (except Golf) has an audience which is composed of Bomberman Land characters. It looks as though they took the sprites straight outta Land 2 and put them here and while they look somewhat funny, as flat as they are, it adds a nice touch too.

Another amusing element is the rosters for the Baseball teams. Each character has their own team and each team has a different theme for the names of the players.

And that brings me to this. We can now confirm the existence of Uranus and Cancer the Bombermen. Of all the obscure facts of the Bomberman series there could ever be, I think this one will be surprising for a long time.

Finally I wanted to point out a few of the Golf courses. I already posted a playthrough on my channel but these are worth sharing. Almost all the holes are pretty standard for golf games but the final three holes resemble Bomberman.

That about covers it. Overall the game is fun to mess around with but it's just another strange experiment in the Bomberman franchise. I do applaud Hudson for trying to expand Bomberman in the ways they did but nowadays this just seems like a strange artifact of time. And Hardball is such a strange name for a game. I wonder why the European version had so many weird name choices? Ah well.

Thanks for reading guys.
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#98  Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:57 pm  Reply with quote + 
Thanks for playing and archiving, as always! I did always assume that Hardball was a spinoff of the Land series since the models were practicaly identical. Those name changes tho...

legato
Bomberman

Post#99  Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:21 am  Reply with quote + 
Thanks Sora! It can be a lot of work sometimes but I enjoy it. Seems like I'm constantly discovering more obscure stuff.

I have a few more things worth sharing today. For one, I took screenshots of all the backgrounds in Panic Bomber for Neo Geo. I forgot to include this when I was talking about the Panic Bomber series some posts ago. My favorite is the festive ones like with Bomberman riding a yellow reindeer. How random!

[Collapse] Panic Bomber Neo Geo Backgrounds

Full size version: https://i.imgur.com/gA8DxVW.jpg

Next I have to thank Ragey on this one. He found a way to emulate the missing Bomberman stuff from Same Game on Super Famicom. I had previously posted that I thought it was lost to time but lo and behold, our pal Ragey pulls through. Thanks again man.

The extension can be downloaded here: https://media.classicgames.me/snes/18963/same-game-chara-cassette-japan-bs.zip

Simply use the bSNES emulator and choose File > Load Special > Load BS-X Slotted Cartridge and plug this file in along with the Same Game rom. This will unlock the Bomberman and Bonk tile sets. What's interesting is that it also adds a lot of small animations to the menus and existing tile sets so it enhances the game overall. Below are some screens and GIFs of the action. It's really impressive to see some 3D models of Bomberman stuff here.

[Collapse] Same Game

legato
Bomberman

Post#100  Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:02 pm  Reply with quote + 
I'd been meaning to post more here. Been a little tied up lately. I finally got around to playing Bomberman 2 for DS (AKA Custom Battler Bomberman.)

[Collapse] Bomberman 2 DS

This game has a lot of unlockable stuff but getting there is a real pain. You have to obtain S ranks in every stage in both the score and time areas. You don't have to achieve them both at the same time but there's a time section of your score so you almost have to do both at once.

Below is the original title screen on the left. The middle is the screen you get when you clear the game and the far right is when you get a 100% clear.

Kinda looks like they ran out of ideas for the 100% one. Hmm.

Next you can get several unique costumes by completing various conditions. Star Bomber from Land Touch 2 can be earned through certain milestones such as defeating 1,000 enemies or placing 10,000 bombs. Fairly easy. Cap'n Boom from Land Touch 1 can be obtained at certain percentages. You get a part when your files reaches 60%, 70%, 80%, and 90% respectively.

Cute Pink's costume is obtained by earning S ranks in entire Zones. I love the angry Bomberman face there lol. Finally Max is obtained by getting S ranks on every single stage. It's very tough and I cheated to get them all. It was so frustrating I'm not even mad lol.

As far as I know, Cute Pink is the only one with a distinct ability. Her ribbon can destroy soft blocks.

It's interesting how they tried to tie in the Land series at the time, even going as far as to call Pretty Bomber by her Land name Cute Pink.

Another cool thing is when you reach a 100% clear you get a unique ending. I won't spoil it but you get a special credits sequence where you can see many of the game's art images in full color with no text across them. Here are some of the more interesting ones.

And on a final weird note, here's the weird enemies from Practice Mode. They look kinda like jelly monsters from an RPG or something.

Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 5 of 6 Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.3224s
Index - Back to Top