SPOILER EDITION: Super Bomberman R
[Replies: 56]  [Views: 15252]
Users browsing this topic: 2 Guests
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General

legato
Bomberman

Post#41  Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:21 pm  Reply with quote + 
Thanks for posting Sora! That's pretty shocking to say the least. I really wasn't expecting anymore DLC. Who are these characters?

EDIT: Nevermind it says on the page lol.
View user profile Send Private Message
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#42  Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:25 pm  Reply with quote + 
Some other stuff from the Japanese Bomberman Twitter:

AO3 | deviantArt | Tumblr
Bluesky | Twitter | Ko-Fi
Bombermanga | Bomber Base | B-Daman Now, Dog!

If I don't wield the bomb, I can't protect you. If I keep wielding the bomb, I can't embrace you.
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#43  Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:22 am  Reply with quote + 
Here's the Base's report on the SBR presentation at the Tokyo Game Show: http://bomber-base.tumblr.com/post/165644144831/super-bomberman-r-at-the-tokyo-game-show There's a rundown of the new battle mode features, the new DLC characters, and a translation of the introductory cutscene.

If I don't wield the bomb, I can't protect you. If I keep wielding the bomb, I can't embrace you.
legato
Bomberman

Post#44  Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:51 pm  Reply with quote + 
Supposedly the first printed copies of the soundtrack will include a code for downloading a character called Tako Bomber.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bomberman/comments/74otpq/super_bomberman_r_official_soundtrack_to_release/
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#45  Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:46 am  Reply with quote + 

BlueBomberman
Board Moderator

Post#46  Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:36 am  Reply with quote + 
This game is currently 25$ at Best Buy for the Black Friday sale as a Doorbuster. But you can get the deal today if you order online.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#47  Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:09 pm  Reply with quote + 
While I received a copy of Super Bomberman R for Christmas, I was finally able to play through it a few days ago. Here are my thoughts:

Gameplay
I'd heard negative-to-neutral things, so I was apprehensive, but I actually really enjoy the game. Having no experience with the earliest version (I applied the patches immediately), I can only comment on the current patch, and I have few qualms with the controls. That is, using the D-pad. I found the analog stick to be cumbersome and switched to the D-pad before even completing a full level. I feel like movement directions should be more restricted but I understand from a programming perspective why that may be more difficult due to certain maps having open areas within them. One thing I think would make it better would be restricting movement to 8 directions. As a final note on the controls, my spouse seemed to have trouble with running into blocks instead of running around them. While I didn't really have this issue, it does make me wonder if the collision detection for wrapping around blocks may not be as wide as it was in older games.

With that being said, I personally can control the game easily enough.

The lack of items has been criticized, but I think it's an understandable decision. Bomberman has been dead for a long time. It was probably better to ease people back in this way. Additionally, with some of the changes that were made, and the added difficulty in Story Mode, it helps to not overwhelm newcomers. (Plus, as noted by Sailor Bomber, someone ripped the item textures and it appears that more items were cut or are currently planned - showing that they did indeed consider the issue).

I'm particularly glad that the Remote Control is gone because it breaks the game. I shouldn't feel compelled to avoid picking up a good item just to enjoy a game, but I often do when playing through older titles.

Story Mode is much, much more challenging than the old Normal Game used to be. I played through on Veteran mode and I used up around 3-4 continues on my first run. Despite the small variety of enemy types, it's tough! I actually don't believe the game really needed more than what was provided. The fact that it was able to kick my ass so soundly is a testament to simplicity in design. I've currently got 3 stars on the first five worlds and will be attempting to ace the last two. I'm kind of excited to find out how much tougher the hard mode (expert?) is...

While I haven't tried Beginner yet, my spouse played through the first world, and I feel that it scales down perfectly from what I've seen. The enemies are so super slow but they still gave them a tough time. One really interesting thing that I saw was how Magnet Bomber paused a lot during his battle. It reminded me of the Shitennou's AI from Super Bomberman 4. However, unlike the rivals in that game, Magnet Bomber was actually able to dodge and put up a decent fight despite being dumbed down. This is also reflects positively on the developers in my opinion.

Backpedaling a bit, because this is more of a ramble than a solid piece of writing, I love the various missions and new traps. The survival missions can get pretty hectic, especially when you're trying to avoid burning items to get a higher ranking. The way the 3D map is incorporated into the switch missions is also really neat. One of the coolest moments was seeing that first switch mission in Scrapheap, in which the switches were all atop a massive pile of junk that I had to blast through. That's not something I ever really expected to find in a Bomberman game and it was pretty cool. And as for traps, Lalala's use of ice and pits creates a nice puzzle element on top of the already puzzle-oriented Bomberman gameplay, and even though it can be frustrating, I love it.

Could they do more? Yes. But for a series revival, I think this is good.

The game isn't without its odd quirks and bugs. There were a couple of times when I encountered a glitch that made it impossible for me to place bombs. I'm not sure what triggered it, and sadly I didn't make any notes at the time. The glitch seems to resolve itself and didn't cost me a life but it's still not a good thing. Also, the enemy AI appears to have a problem with getting stuck on moving platforms sometimes, which basically requires the player to place a bomb and hope that it hits the enemy at just the right moment. These are mostly minor quibbles but they're there.

I haven't played the Battle Mode yet, nor have I tried unlockable characters, so I can't comment on those things. I'm only reviewing the Story Mode here. And I'm pleasantly surprised.

Story
I'm going to turn this into more of a bulleted list:

* I don't personally mind there being eight protagonists. They all got a decent amount of screen time, and the story is light and silly so I didn't really feel like I was missing much. You pretty much know who everybody is by the end of it. It's not like they have character arcs, just bits of insight into them.

* With that being said, the game's plot feels strangely more lacking and doesn't seem to take itself seriously at all. Another player (ShaolinTurtle) brought up the fact that there's really no explanation for what the Buggler Army even is (and I'll expand on why this is confusing in a bit). I also found myself wondering why the villains were just kind of left there on each of the first three planets. Did they really leave an unconscious Golem Bomber with a note and rocket off? What's to stop him from retaking the planet? I'm probably not supposed to think about it too much.

* The personality of each villain seemed spot on, going back to what information had been given through various games and manga in the old canon. The only one who seemed somewhat different from my expectations was Sexy Bomber, which is probably because she was a corrupt version of herself. Well, and also because they added the "idol" aspect.

* The stuff about Pretty Bomber was spoiled for me long ago, so I have no idea what kind of impact it would have had. I do feel that this probably ties into her appearance. From the beginning, I speculated that they overhauled her design as Sexy Bomber to try to make her look more evil, and less like the siblings. My guess is that the devs thought people would still want the old Pretty Bomber in the game somehow, so they worked her into the plot. Of course, I could also be totally incorrect.

* Between the conversations and backstories regarding Bombermen (i.e. they all seem to have been created by organic lifeforms), and the discussions regarding the hostages (that civilians is a "worker's kid", and the sight of him helps Plasma remember how he used to love the humans), it seems clear to me that the civilians are meant to be humans. This also would mean that the people seen in the newscast at the end of world 7 are also humans (and I guess all humans wear a button/orb/light thingy). However, because of the stark contrast between these humans and a certain other "human", this brings me straight into the next point, which is...

* What even is Buggler? For the first time, it looked like we had a concrete story for Buggler: He's clearly a human who has replaced his body with a robotic one. He created an army of robots, the Buggler Army. It's all clear now.

But then the ending comes around and just wipes all of that off of the table.

So I'm sitting there watching his body break apart and I'm thinking, okay, I guess I'm right, his head is going to escape. But then he's talking and... he's... born from "the evil in the hearts of life-forms across the universe"? What? Then his head starts to break apart (am I the only one who found this freaky?) and I'm totally not prepared for what is going on here. So apparently he's not even human? Or robotic? He's some cosmic entity, evil incarnate? So why does he look like a cyborg? Where do the Hige Hige combatants come from? Are they just unrelated robots (we see them in the crowd of Grand Prix, which takes place after the story)? Come to think of it, we only ever see him use "dark powers", so does he even have any knowledge of technology? I'm left with so many questions at the very last moment, and no semblance of answers to come.

I guess like I said in an earlier point: I'm probably not supposed to think about it.

* Despite some others' complaints about the world 7 plot, I thought it was cute and fit in well enough. I am a little sad that Smuggler turned out to be such a lame villain. He looks pretty rad and I like his attitude.

That's all I can think of to say right now. I'd love to engage in a discussion about any of this stuff if anybody is still up for it. My apologies for the wall of text! :oops: 
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#48  Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:26 pm  Reply with quote + 
Glad to hear you enjoyed it! I'm pretty sure my (negative-to-neutral) SBRant from right around SBR's initial launch is linked earlier in this thread, so that's there if you wanted to look at it. I still need to play the single-player DLC, but first I need to (finally) beat BotW.

Somehow I missed that the item textures got ripped, but that's interesting. :|a I did address the lack of item variety in my SBRant, but I think you have a good point as well that I didn't consider.

Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#49  Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:04 pm  Reply with quote + 
Oh yeah. I gave it another read just now (I'm fairly certain I'd read it before but it would have been like a year ago :stun:  ). Did the game originally not have a tag match option? I knew about the problems with controls and stuff, but wow. I'm still surprised by how much they had to fix after the initial release. It continues to boggle me when so many big studio games come out nowadays that need patches just to fill out the gameplay and fix what should have been shipped with them.

As it stands though, I really like how it has turned out, but I totally understand why it's not for everybody.

Your comments on the camera reminded me that I'd wanted to mention that. I don't have a problem with the camera angles at all in regards to movement, but due to the scenery and lighting, there were situations where I found the terrain confusing on my first playthrough. Basically, ledges where I didn't realize there were ledges. Also, there is maybe one stage, maybe two, where the camera seems a bit too close - they're survival stages and it's hard to know where all the enemies are. But maybe that was intentional?

And yeah, the scenery could have used some work. Mainily, I feel like if the border walls were distinct and not just repeated tiles, it would have done enough wonders. As for the disparity between the cutscenes and the gameplay graphics, it doesn't really bother me and I like the general aesthetic, though I also wouldn't have minded cartoony cel-shading either.

...I've remembered that there was one more odd thing I wanted to discuss: Why is Gwinbee Judgement being towed away at the end of the story? How did it even get there? Nobody is even riding in it...? Also, how do 13 people (including the massive Golem Bomber) fit into the shuttle when White was cramming the siblings in there at the onset of the journey? Or are they in Gwinbee? It's not really clear. The brief glimpse of the outside of the ship they're in has Gwinbee colours, but it doesn't match up with its design at all.

And lastly, to tie it all in, something which has undoubtedly been discussed...

https://nintendoeverything.com/super-bomberman-r-concept-art/nggallery/image/super-bomberman-r-concept-art-4

What is going on here? It looks like a scene was cut, which would have explained some things. Maybe it was cut for streamlining purposes. Or maybe it was because they decided to write Buggler's ship out of the story? After all, in the final game, there is absolutely no indication that Buggler even has a ship. It looks more like he's just floating out there on his own. This indicates to me that either they decided that having a saucer would be redundant if the battles just take place in space, or perhaps that Buggler's backstory was more traditional in the concept phase, and that they wrote the ship out after deciding that he didn't really need one if he's some cosmic entity.

But who knows at this point.
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#50  Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:48 am  Reply with quote + 
Don't worry, I had to re-read it myself just now because what the frakkadoo did I even blabber about.

RE: tag match -- I really don't think it did, because I feel like I checked to make sure I wasn't completely talking out of my non-existent ass. If anyone else can prove differently, though, be my bomberguest.

Quote:
Why is Gwinbee Judgement being towed away at the end of the story? How did it even get there? Nobody is even riding in it...? Also, how do 13 people (including the massive Golem Bomber) fit into the shuttle when White was cramming the siblings in there at the onset of the journey? Or are they in Gwinbee? It's not really clear. The brief glimpse of the outside of the ship they're in has Gwinbee colours, but it doesn't match up with its design at all.

And here I thought it was my job to be concerned with plot holes and contradictions that no one else in bomberfandom cares about!

Quote:
What is going on here? It looks like a scene was cut, which would have explained some things.

Wow, I didn't even catch that. I just assumed it was some thing that I'd forgotten about because my memory's terrible.

Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#51  Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:59 pm  Reply with quote + 
I totally take your word for the tag match thing, I just didn't realize they'd left such a basic feature out! :stun: 

It's stuff like that which makes me understanding of why there was a lot of criticism of the game after its launch. It feels like the game was incomplete in some critical ways. Hopefully the updates and general continued support will fare it well for its release on other platforms, because yeah, that's happening now.

Regarding the ship thing, herrDoktorat had a theory that maybe, the protagonists were meant to steal Buggler's ship and tow the other two ships behind them back home? It would explain why all of the characters fit into one ship so neatly, and why the interior of said ship appears to be kind of saucer-shaped. And really, when I saw a screenshot of Plasma and the others standing in that ship at the end, long before I played the game, I thought it was from a cinematic showing them standing in Buggler's ship (summoned before combining into Gattaida, I assumed).

...Although it still doesn't explain why the exterior shot (the window, when Plasma says "It's over") doesn't match any one of the three ships present. :sigh: 

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention something else in my initial post - I also favour the decision to reset power-ups at the beginning of each world. It keeps the player from becoming OP and just powering through the rest of the game. Also, I like that the stage doesn't reset when the player is hit, and that special items aren't lost either. All of this meshes well with the enhanced difficulty.
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#52  Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:03 pm  Reply with quote + 
Quote:
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention something else in my initial post - I also favour the decision to reset power-ups at the beginning of each world. It keeps the player from becoming OP and just powering through the rest of the game. Also, I like that the stage doesn't reset when the player is hit, and that special items aren't lost either. All of this meshes well with the enhanced difficulty.

All of these are also cromulent points. :happy: 

For all of my extreme ambivalence about the game, I do hope SBR being on other platforms will continue revitalizing old bomberfans and making new ones!

Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#53  Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:14 pm  Reply with quote + 
Ever since, like, the week after I made my last post in this topic, I've intended to return and add another point of commentary, but I've been so busy and tired and also I keep forgetting. :oops: 

Anyway, there's one other thing that bothers me about the story, and it all takes place in World 5, Planet Scrapheap.

Planet Scrapheap is described as a world that is entirely covered in electronic junk. Think about that. A whole planet that the organics dump dead robots on... and the Bomberman Bros. know nothing about it. Aqua shows concern and asks what it is. Black can only speculate that it's "A graveyard for robots, it seems." White doesn't comment at all, which indicates to me that he doesn't have any more information than the second-eldest sibling, which is apparently none.

What's more...

1) We know from the introduction that this is where Pretty Bomber's corpse was dumped.

2) Even Aqua, the second-youngest sibling, knows that Pretty Bomber existed, so they all know that she died... but they have no knowledge of what happened to her body.

3) White and Pink, at least, have emotional reactions to the discovery of Pretty's charm, to her fusion into Great Gattaida, and to her survival, so they clearly have the capacity to care about her.

So when White asks Plasma Bomber what his motivations are, Plasma says that he wants to overthrow the organic life-forms because they create and discard robots at whim, with no regard for their lives. He has a compelling argument. Honestly, when I heard this for the first time, I wondered what response White could possibly offer.

But all White says is "Protecting the universe is the reason we exist".

Plasma Bomber is right - reasoning with him is futile. White's only argument is almost tautological - he protects the organics because that's what they made him for. Even now, so long after I've played the game, I'm still more on board with Plasma Bomber. We're given no compelling reason to fight him at this point.

But what's possibly worse is that, when Plasma Bomber regains his memories, he completely loses this line of thought altogether. It's totally unresolved. He just goes right back to loving the organic life-forms, and the glaring issue that they're all literally standing upon is forgotten entirely. He comes off as more brainwashed at this point than he did when he was under Buggler's influence! It really makes me wonder if the Bombermen don't really have free will... Or maybe it's just poor writing.

Either way, Buggler shows up and announces his secret plan, and the terrible implications of Planet Scrapheap are totally dismissed.

This post is a lot more rambling than I'd imagined it, but I waited way too long to compose it, so here it is. I'd like to know if anybody else has similar thoughts on the matter.
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#54  Posted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:01 pm  Reply with quote + 
Somehow I'm entirely unsurprised you're concerned about a plot point/development concerning Plasma Bomber. :wink: 

This is actually pretty timely for me, as I've recently been thinking about ol' Plaz-Boy and the Planet Scrapheap deal For Reasons(TM). I think I have roughly the same issue as you re: Plasma himself, but from the storytelling/craft side rather than the ethical/moral/philosophical one. (Which in some ways are intertwined, to be sure.) Once he loses his "quirk" (hatin' on all dem organics), what does one do with his character beyond the main story? What does his character development bring to the dynamics between all the other characters? I've managed one solution for this, but I don't think it addresses your problems with his character arc -- it's more for the purposes of comedy. In any case, you're right that it isn't the best-handled thing. I tend to be quite forgiving of most things I read/watch/play/experience for the first time, and even the moment where White answers Plasma's Armor-Piercing Question was a little disappointing to me, although moreso once Plasma has his flashback to being a "good" robot and it was a whole lot of nothing.

(I have also been recently running with the personal interpretation that White isn't the sane man so much as he's the man whose personal brand of insanity is the most socially acceptable out of all of his siblings. Sooooo there's also that.)

Anyway, it probably is just bad/simplified writing. From a worldbuilding perspective, SBR did great with its visual style and it did better with giving Bomberman characters distinct personalities, but it didn't level up its storytelling game quite as much. Granted, the fact that they introduced that uncomfortable implication at all is a step up, so at least there's that. It'll be interesting if Konami ever follows up with that (especially given the out-of-nowhere revelation about Buggman being some eldritch abomination of evil), but who knows.

Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#55  Posted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:29 am  Reply with quote + 
Sora G. Silverwind wrote:
Once he loses his "quirk" (hatin' on all dem organics), what does one do with his character beyond the main story? What does his character development bring to the dynamics between all the other characters?

True! Even his promotional image becomes entirely moot once his corruption is gone. We're left knowing almost nothing about the real Plasma Bomber. It's disappointing.

Bu yeah, this unresolved plot point just bothers me, probably a bit too much. Maybe it is because I'm programmed to care more about Bomberman stuff (beep, boop). Other than this, I really like the world that SBR has created.

(On a side note, I don't even play as Plasma Bomber... Is that unexpected? I've waited like two decades for him to be playable, and now that he is, I'm just not feeling it.)
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#56  Posted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:58 pm  Reply with quote + 
Plasma Bomber wrote:
Maybe it is because I'm programmed to care more about Bomberman stuff (beep, boop).

Beep bomber-boop! We are bomberbots.

I'm going to change my signature accordingly now.

Plasma Bomber wrote:
On a side note, I don't even play as Plasma Bomber... Is that unexpected? I've waited like two decades for him to be playable, and now that he is, I'm just not feeling it.

Well, now that you mentioned your dissatisfaction with how his character/story was handled, it's not all that surprising... :oops: 

legato
Bomberman

Post#57  Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:19 am  Reply with quote + 
Well, here comes the next batch of characters!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuVUHLV1cK8

Edit: I also noticed that they updated the anniversary logo. How nice of them.

Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 3 of 3 Page: Previous  1, 2, 3

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.4504s
Index - Back to Top