BombermanBoard Forum Index BombermanBoard
Bomberman Community

Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
Bomberman 64 Arriving on NA and EU Virtual Console tomorrow!
[Replies: 9]  [Views: 2376]
Users browsing this topic: 2 Guests
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General
Users watching this topic: 1  
KameBomber
Bomberbie

Post#1  Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:04 pm  Reply with quote + 
Not gonna lie, I've been a lurker on this site but not a member till now, nice seeing other passionate Bomberman fans, anyways this game was my first Bomberman and to this day I still consider it among the best, it is easily my favorite game for the Nintendo 64 so I'm definitely picking it up.

Price will be $9.99 and here's the trailer for anyone who wants to see it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEJS2d7NJm4

Does this mean Konami hears those of us requesting a new Bomberman entry in the vein of 64 and TSA?
View user profile Send Private Message
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#2  Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:34 pm  Reply with quote + 
KameBomber wrote:
Does this mean Konami hears those of us requesting a new Bomberman entry in the vein of 64 and TSA?

One can certainly hope.

I'd love another B64 style game. The original Bomberman 64 was the first truly challenging experience I've had from a Bomberman game from beginning to end. There's nothing else quite like it, not even the sequel.
KameBomber
Bomberbie

Post#3  Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:05 pm  Reply with quote + 
Agreed, TSA was great felt, like a hybrid between 64 and the Classic gameplay, not a direct expansion on the original though, I like the first 64 a bit more overall but I can't pinpoint why since TSA didn't disappoint me at all.

I just want another game that shares all the mechanics of 64 and TSA, Super R has an enjoyable new rebooted canon so they can just introduce Altair and the masked trio and have them go up against the Bomberman Bros.
I doubt we'd ever see the Astral Knights again though, TSA took itself way more seriously than most Bomberman titles, especially Super R.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#4  Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:43 pm  Reply with quote + 
TSA had more detailed graphics, more environments, and a much deeper plot than most Bomberman games (despite having some weird holes when you think too much about it), and it introduced the elemental bombs. And it excels in other regards, and is generally an enjoyable experience. On the other hand, it...

* Did away with bomb jumping (which comprised many of the puzzles in B64)
* Removed the persistent ability to throw/kick bombs, making combat more tedious
* Inexplicably reverted to cross-shaped explosions, also making combat somewhat more tedious
* Removed the gold cards and didn't replace them with anything else to add interest (four guardian armour pieces are incomparable)
* Removed big bosses until the final world
* Underused most elemental bombs, relegating their uses mostly to strength/weakness combat (picking a bomb that is stronger against a given enemy)
* Due to these, and probably other reasons that aren't presently coming to mind, felt shorter and easier than its predecessor

TSA is a pretty good game, but I agree, B64 was definitely better.

If Konami does consider extending the new SBR line, I would love for them to rework SB4, SB5, and B64. B64 does, however, feel slightly less hopeful, given how unique it is, and how, even in its title, Super Bomberman R is intrinsically tied to the classic gameplay style.

(Note: Still haven't played SBR. Currently operating on the hope that my roommate's friend buys her/us a Switch when he moves in. This would be far easier if it wasn't a launch title.)

By the way, I completely forgot to welcome you to the forum. So... welcome to the forum! :happy: 
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#5  Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:06 am  Reply with quote + 
/yells a lot

/goes back to foraging in Hyrule

AO3 | deviantArt | Tumblr
Bluesky | Twitter | Ko-Fi
Bombermanga | Bomber Base | B-Daman Now, Dog!

If I don't wield the bomb, I can't protect you. If I keep wielding the bomb, I can't embrace you.
legato
Bomberman

Post#6  Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:12 am  Reply with quote + 
Good to hear! I love Bomberman, especially the games on 64. Another game remotely in the vein of those would be fantastic all around.

I am curious though, why is the gameplay footage so dark in the trailer? Is it emulating that dark when you buy it because that's rather annoying.

Also in the trailer, there were at least two moments where the player was way over the time limit lol.
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#7  Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:20 am  Reply with quote + 
Oh, I just noticed this:

Plasma Captain wrote:

Unless I'm misunderstanding or forgetting something, bomb jumping is still a thing in TSA, just not as much. I can't remember a time during the main game when I utilized it -- maybe on Neverland? TSA's iffy controls make it an equally iffy technique. At any rate, bomb jumping is the only way you can get the one custom piece that's hanging out above the entrance to Behemos' arena. And it's total bullshit. Though probably not as much as Rainbow Palace, since you obviously don't need to do this to complete the level. But still.

If I don't wield the bomb, I can't protect you. If I keep wielding the bomb, I can't embrace you.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#8  Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:21 am  Reply with quote + 
Sora G. Silverwind wrote:
Oh, I just noticed this:

Plasma Captain wrote:

Unless I'm misunderstanding or forgetting something, bomb jumping is still a thing in TSA, just not as much. I can't remember a time during the main game when I utilized it -- maybe on Neverland? TSA's iffy controls make it an equally iffy technique. At any rate, bomb jumping is the only way you can get the one custom piece that's hanging out above the entrance to Behemos' arena. And it's total bullshit. Though probably not as much as Rainbow Palace, since you obviously don't need to do this to complete the level. But still.

There is a place in Alcatraz near the end where you need to use a pumped bomb to cross a gap and get a custom part. There were probably a couple of other places, but it wasn't used to full effect and, yeah, controlling it is pretty awkward if I remember correctly. My main beef was that there was nothing quite at that par to replace bomb jumping in TSA. It's a good game, though.
Fuzzy Pickles
Bombertrainee

Post#9  Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:48 pm  Reply with quote + 
I will pick this up as soon as I get money... which is whenever.
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#10  Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:12 pm  Reply with quote + 
I wouldn't mind a game that combined Bomberman actually being able to jump (like in Hero) with bomb jumping, e.g. where he can essentially use the bomb jump to get to things he couldn't reach otherwise. Basically the same reasoning behind the bomb jump technique but with a little more oomph.

I will say (and may have said on this board but I can't remember) that as much as I love the shit out of TSA, I actually don't enjoy playing it these days. In fact, I prefer Generation, and would probably recommend that to most people over TSA.

Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2203s
Index - Back to Top