Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
Can fanart be weird?
[Replies: 13]  [Views: 4011]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Life In General

Mighty
Bomberman

Post#1  Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:57 pm  Reply with quote + 
I'm just asking about this since I find alot of weird fanart for shows I watch on Deviant Art. Not all fanart is weird though, some of the weird fanart include Bombermen with almost perfectly squared heads, unusual drawing styles, or better yet, suddenly sporting a unusually MASSIVE set of muscles which raises your power level to OVER 9000 or just make your head look way too small. So what do you guys think?
View user profile Send Private Message
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#2  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:03 am  Reply with quote + 
...I'm very relieved that this topic wasn't about... well, nevermind. :hilarious: 

Anyway, that realistic Mario was actually pretty cool. I do hate cube-headed Bombermen, though, and while the actual artwork on that last one was good, I do agree that it's pretty strange...

So, is the question "Should fanart be weird"? If so, then my answer is that it depends on what kind of weird it is.
Mighty
Bomberman

Post#3  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:22 am  Reply with quote + 
Dark Zaphe wrote:
...I'm very relieved that this topic wasn't about... well, nevermind. :hilarious: 

Um, what do you mean?
By the way, you have got to see these Mario fanart pics I found:
http://jalmari.deviantart.com/art/mario-and-yoshi-24858952
http://mikepmitchell.deviantart.com/art/Super-Mario-World-87132462
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#4  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm  Reply with quote + 
Nevermind. Earlier, creepier topic(s).

Anyway, those Mario pictures are... indescribably awesome. :hilarious: 
I really can't think of anything else to say. This, is good fanart.
Mighty
Bomberman

Post#5  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:32 pm  Reply with quote + 
Dark Zaphe wrote:
Nevermind. Earlier, creepier topic(s).

Anyway, those Mario pictures are... indescribably awesome. :hilarious: 
I really can't think of anything else to say. This, is good fanart.

But their feet in that last one are WAY to small!
This one I thought was cool, but it reminded me of someone.....
http://sillyaparrot.deviantart.com/art/Mighty-Knight-135094911
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#6  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:37 pm  Reply with quote + 
That is pretty cool.

Anyway all things considered fan art is what it is. Everyone has their own styles and some people will find some stuff weird while others will think the same piece is really cool. That's the whole idea of fan art really. It's someone taking something they like then making their own version of it. If all fan art looked similar to the original art or concept art then it'd get boring you know? It's cool to see what people will do with something. Sometimes it looks strange to some of us and you'll go eww that's not Mario! or Bomberman..... or whatever?

Can fan art be weird? I believe you've answered that one yourself already.

Should it be weird? Not necessarily but it certainly can be, cause that's what gives the fan art community flavor in my opinion. I like to see all the varying styles and renditions that people come up with. Sure I'm not gonna like them all but it's better then all of them looking the same right?
Mighty
Bomberman

Post#7  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:06 pm  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
That is pretty cool.

Anyway all things considered fan art is what it is. Everyone has their own styles and some people will find some stuff weird while others will think the same piece is really cool. That's the whole idea of fan art really. It's someone taking something they like then making their own version of it. If all fan art looked similar to the original art or concept art then it'd get boring you know? It's cool to see what people will do with something. Sometimes it looks strange to some of us and you'll go eww that's not Mario! or Bomberman..... or whatever?

Should it be weird? Not necessarily but it certainly can be, cause that's what gives the fan art community flavor in my opinion. I like to see all the varying styles and renditions that people come up with. Sure I'm not gonna like them all but it's better then all of them looking the same right?

I guess you could say that. But here's what I want to know.
Quote:

Why the sudden need to have a girl in your avatar?
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#8  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:06 pm  Reply with quote + 
Mighty wrote:
But their feet in that last one are WAY to small!

Hahah, but the point of that picture is to be silly. It's hilariousy awesome.

When I have a problem with a fanart's style, it's when the artist is trying to make an accurate representation and ends up botching it up. Like Bombermen with square heads that have been lazily drawn, or a character whose arms are too long while everything else is to proportion, or a t-shirt with way too many wrinkles because the artist was going too far out of his/her way to be detailed... things like that. I can accept style variations, because like Regulus said, that's the point of fanart. But mistakes are mistakes.

Also, that Mighty Knight is pretty cool.

...And I'm pretty sure Regulus has had girls in his avatar before. I don't see the problem...
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#9  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:59 pm  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
That is pretty cool.

As usual, you express my thoughts exactly.

If I may add, as an artist myself, I'm always interested in seeing other people's interpretation of something, may it be Mario or something else altogether. Both of those "realistic" Mario and Yoshi pics you put up were awesome in their own way.

Mighty wrote:
Quote:

...because he can? XD Besides, it's cute.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#10  Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:59 am  Reply with quote + 
Mighty wrote:
Quote:

lol, I guess you must still be new here. I'd say at least 80% of my avatars have been female characters. I usually think the female characters of games and anime are cooler but there have been a few cool dudes along the way here and there.

and why the sudden need? Well if you must know, it's been quite some time since I changed my avy, and Touhou Project is my current interest so a Touhou character is most appropriate.

Satou needed a break anyway.

I find it strange you seem far more interested in questioning my avatar then my actual reply to the topic. "I guess you could say that" sounds like an awfully wishy washy answer to me, like you just wanted to put that whole bit to the side.

I'm not trying to get on your bad side or anything here, but alot of your topics seem to be like this. You ask us what we think about stuff and don't seem to be too interested in what we have to say in the end anyway.

Especially that whole PSP bit, just pretty much dismissing all our game recommendations after asking for them yourself, many of which were widely renown and loved titles.
Mighty
Bomberman

Post#11  Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:14 pm  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
Mighty wrote:
Quote:

lol, I guess you must still be new here. I'd say at least 80% of my avatars have been female characters. I usually think the female characters of games and anime are cooler but there have been a few cool dudes along the way here and there.

and why the sudden need? Well if you must know, it's been quite some time since I changed my avy, and Touhou Project is my current interest so a Touhou character is most appropriate.

Satou needed a break anyway.

I find it strange you seem far more interested in questioning my avatar then my actual reply to the topic. "I guess you could say that" sounds like an awfully wishy washy answer to me, like you just wanted to put that whole bit to the side.

I'm not trying to get on your bad side or anything here, but alot of your topics seem to be like this. You ask us what we think about stuff and don't seem to be too interested in what we have to say in the end anyway.

Especially that whole PSP bit, just pretty much dismissing all our game recommendations after asking for them yourself, many of which were widely renown and loved titles.

I know, I tend to be rather weird when it comes to stuff I'm interested in. Sometimes I like, sometimes I don't. I don't really have any other say in it.
KakaoMinze
Bomberdude

Post#12  Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:27 pm  Reply with quote + 
Though I know this topic might be old, it is still in my interest~

It is sure that there can be some weird art-styles in the art community, but it also depends on how the own tastes are. Some artists like to make human-related characters into a realistic portrait style rather than the normal style we all know, some artists like to make them look young and/or childish.

Every artist is getting their own style doing practise, and it's always common that the "new" style is something that people will or will not enjoy, so the interest splits.

Drawing for 16 years now I know what it means to get enjoyed or ignored for a new style, I even had one of my friends that hated my new style and told me that the older was better. That's a point where I say you can be honest to your people, but you shouldn't tell them what to draw and how to draw the characters.

Being a fan of horror and survival games and movies, the only "weird fanart" I could state is the macabre art. I know it doesn't fit for someone who likes horror movies, but I just can't stand pictures like that, especially when they really look TOO realistic.

Other than that it's a question of taste, some enjoy and some don't :3

But it's still an interesting topic because I like knowing the opinions of the people when it comes down to several styles in the art community~

As for the Mario & Yoshi pictures. I guess some people like to point out the realism of things like that, since you must remember that Yoshi is actually a dinosaur and doesn't even looks / acts that way ;3 I guess some artists also like to point out unrealistic things in a game's franchise by making such kind of artworks. You can say they make fun out of them, but they still do appreciate the franchise (be careful though, some don't!) :3

On the other hand... the only thing I do not enjoy is those "mountains of muscles" styles xD It's okay when they have a few muscles, but not in a overflowing way. It makes them more... "unhot" ;P
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#13  Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:39 pm  Reply with quote + 
No worries about the bump Saphiria. You're post is a constructive addition to the topic so it's fine. It's good that you wanted to include your thoughts on this topic as well.

I can't say I have a specific opinion on macabre stuff. I'd probably like some and dislike others, so I can't say I dislike the style itself. I guess it still depends on the picture's contents.

I also agree that "mountains of muscles" look awfully ridiculous.
KakaoMinze
Bomberdude

Post#14  Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:20 am  Reply with quote + 
I really have a weakspots for games like Biohazard/Resident Evil, Project Zero/Fatal Frame, Dead Space and other Horror games/movies, but I guess I get really weak when it comes down to pictures of it. I can't even look how people need to get operated.

That's why I never look for macabre art, though you can never know how the artist is like in real, too. Okay maybe my thoughts are going a bit TOO far with it, but still XD

And yeah, muscles can be hot as long as they look naturally. I'm a Falco Lombardi fan and I saw SO many fan artworks of him in the "overflowing muscles" style that I can't take it anymore ;__;
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Life In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1958s
Index - Back to Top