BombermanBoard Forum Index BombermanBoard
Bomberman Community

Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
Karabons, and how to implement them better.
[Replies: 6]  [Views: 2403]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General

JET_ALONE
Bomberdude

Post#1  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:14 pm  Reply with quote + 
:down:  Karabons, as it seems to me are, or at least were nothing more than Pocket Monsters cash ins, with a very badly done system on how they operate. Fortunateley, I think Karabons could in fact be the very thing to get the Bomberman series back on track :normal: 

Okay, so if the arcade style Bomberman is to repetitive to be used often now days, but Rpg'ing (ala Bomberman Story) isn't designed well enough for Bomberman, then why not have both? Because it seems to me that the whole horizontal / vertical bomb thing doesn't work effectiveley on an open area unless you have constant grids around the place, which is why radius bombing is the way to go! But wait, I'm not finished yet.

So we have radius bombing, that way you can actually defeat enemies easily, so they don't end up standing right next to the bomb diagonally and don't get hurt, which is pretty annoying. So then I think it'd be better off if the games toned down on the obstacles, because in an rpg it's bad gameplay if it goes "Bomb...1...2...3...4..." EXPLODE because you're constantly waiting for that explosion, all the time, but we can't have Bomberman without bombs, so just tone down obstacles...

And as for Karabons? :happy:  Welll then, as we all know Karabons are raised by Bomberman collection the appropriate items, stat panels and such, which are given to the Karabon currently being used, and Karabons can go into what's quoted as "Rock Paper Scissors, with stats" which is a bad thing :x. This is where the focus point of my idea comes in!

Karabon Access points - Found in the overworld (The part where you play as Bomberman) that a Karabon can travel into, think RockmanEXE except without the internet and Rockman and not. (Also I think it would look cool if your selected Karabon would follow you around? ala Pocket Monsters Yellow)

Inside these access points what have you got? Classic Bomberman!!! :veryhappy:  See? Already you've got the old and something completeley new and different, all in one! Anyway, in this "Karabon world" as i'd call it, it'd very simply put, be old Bomberman gameplay. Rooms and rooms organised in destructable grids. Let's say you were playing as Pommy as shown, you would blow things up (Yes, with bombs) and gain experience (Stat panels, as shown) from things you blew up - And this would be how level raising is done!

Of course, you could still raise your Karabon the usual way on the overworld also. Not to mention Karabon battles would take place in the "Karabon world" like a boss fight from the days of Super Bomberman. The Karabon world would be rather large too, and you've have to get to a certain point in the Karabon world to unlock something in the overworld and vice versa, and through this whole article you can see that Karabons can become more than just Pocket Monsters all over again :wink: .

Karabons have overworld abiilities too, such as Pommy being able to teleport. These would still remain, not to mention that Karabons would gain stat boosts if used with a certain character, or in a certain situation. For example, Magnet and PlasmaFangs would be a good combo because the Karabon gets a stat boost. Stat reductions could also be a possibility.

Now...Fusion! I'm not sure about Fusions and hybrid Karabons, seeming as it's just too easy in my opinion. if PlasmaFangs is a combo between Pommy and Erefan, then I think if you were ever going to fuse Karabons you'd have to be willing to make sacrifices. Not only would the two Karabons in question have to sacrifice some stats for the new hybrid, but all Karabons involved would go into a state of *Raine Sage from Tales of Symphonia voice* Post Fusion Toxicocis, some more than others. This would mean the Karabons would be unuseable for a certain amount of time, but perhaps this could be avoided by raising another stat?

So there you have it. In the overworld, you'd play as (a) Bomberman, with radius bombing to achieve faster free'er gameplay, then have Karabons for classic Bomberman style gameplay, with a new leveling up, battle and training system :veryhappy: 

Questions? Comments? ...Bad ones? :hilarious: 
Hammer Bomber
Bomberman

Post#2  Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:22 pm  Reply with quote + 
Pommy, battle routine set, execute.... hmm, maby try to keep it away from the battle networks :P but i like the idea

Iv allways preffered Looies (however there spelt) and Tirras over charabons and Kepo over Pommy but i think thats a pretty neat idea, as i completely agree that the battle system sucked yet thair abilatys did make a posative effect to B-man tournament/genaration
View user profile Send Private Message
JET_ALONE
Bomberdude

Post#3  Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:41 pm  Reply with quote + 
:normal:  Yeah, it wouldn't be too similiar to EXE, just a few things that would be compareable to how the system works. Maybe trading Karabons too...?

Oh, and Rooey's are pretty awsome!! :veryhappy:  It'd be good if they were available for general Bomberman gameplay, although I don't think they'd follow Karabon raising principals.

Hmm, I wish more people would comment me on this topic. I put allot of effort into it. :down: 
Bonk
Bomberdude

Post#4  Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:14 am  Reply with quote + 
Personally I think they should ditch the charaboms/karabons, lets face it, they're trying to cash in on pokemon and it ain't working. Instead of gimmicks like that they need to focus on action, puzzles, exploration, etc., where Bomberman hasn't evolved much in the last several years.
JET_ALONE
Bomberdude

Post#5  Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:37 pm  Reply with quote + 
Well from what we've seen Bomberman can't focus on one of these things properly without detracting from something else. :down:  So that's a benefit of Karabons...

Mind you, unless Hudson thinks of something like this (Or at least, something similiar) then I agree that they should just ditch the entire concept, because it really won't be going anywhere.
Angelus
Bomberdude

Post#6  Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:44 pm  Reply with quote + 
I like what you've put together there. Its mostly all been done before, but not with bomberman.
neofcon
Bombertrainee

Post#7  Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:51 pm  Reply with quote + 
Ok I have bad habit in grave digging yes :oops: , but this really caught my attention. I assume the guy isn't around anymore either.

I had a few ideas of how to implement the system a lot better than how it is now and playing through generation again and again is showing how flawed it is. Yes it's trying to cash in on pokemon, but what wasn't trying to back then? The basic concept of pokemon is taking the rpg aspects of summoning and having the whole game based around that while gradually evolving the gameplay. Dare I say Shin Megami Tensei is the earliest example of this in a way? (yeah sorry for the slight rant, everywhere I go it's the same "pkmn" rip off when people review these games. Hell Digimon came out before pkmn and that doesn't get ANY slack)

Anywho, the whole idea feels too much like Battle Network, but a lot more fun :P. I say that bcause I don't enjoy that series too much (network transmission though is a grace) and thats what this idea is more like. It's the same classic gameplay while giving newer RPG elements to it. Not a bad deal I must say. Nice idea.

One of my ideas would be having the Charaboms in the overworld backing you up, like the extra prisoners in Neo Bomberman who would assist you in the overworld, orthe familiars in Castlevania. Not all of them would help you beating enemies cause that would be TOO easy. most would help reveal walls, or should you from enemy attacks (kai-man or Ceedrun) or would attack enemies. The challenge factor would be that they each have health and if they get pwned, you can't use them until you heal them with something (I REALLY don't wanna say Chara-center, it's already in the ahem "rip off" status as it is).

The level up aspects should really be kept and the access points is a nice idea (easier too), but battling I think can be done....no, it CAN be done better. WAY better. It's fact that the battles suck. I can't defend it. So instead, I say do it the same way MMX Command Mission does it. having actions configured to certain buttons. Like say on the GCN controller

Normal Attack = A
Defend = B
Powering Up = X
Special = Y
Nerf = R
Kara Fuse = L

Im trying not to say much cause I don't want anyone stealing this.

Now normal attacks, each charabom would have a different attack so that they have a reason to be different. For example, Andlar can just shoot a normal splash of water while Dorako (draco) can slash the opponent with two attacks (like a double scratch or w/e) or old Kai boy can drill tackle the guy with up to six (incredibly weak) hits. Specials would e the same for each elemental type, meaning bubbles, fireballs, spike stones, and thunderbolts, yah know. Defending is casual, and powering up is well...just powering up for th next turn so your attack is temp. stronger. Nerfs would require something (haven't thought it up yet) and they're just more powerful specials exclusive to charaboms (I played GEN this morning and Kai-man whooped my arse with a friggin tidal wave out of nowhere!) think super attacks.kara fusing occurs if yu have items or other charaboms to fuse with. Like Angol if you're using Stegadon/Andlar/Vice Versa and if you have the compatible bom/item/what ever yeah you can go on and do it (like a hyper mode that lasts for a few turns). Each action costs a single turn to use etc, etc.

Just my 5 cents
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1737s
Index - Back to Top