Bomberman TSA - Dialogue Transcript
[Replies: 14]  [Views: 6313]
Users browsing this topic: 2 Guests
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Game Help

Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#1  Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:21 pm  Reply with quote + 
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/n64/file/257793/47548

In addition to the English game dialogue, me and Sakaki/kiirobon (...mostly him, because I fail at Japanese) have done translations of the Japanese voiceovers in the game, along with other miscellaneous trivia that can be found in the "Astral Knight Voiceovers: Randomosities From Across the Pacific" section.

AO3 | deviantArt | Tumblr
Bluesky | Twitter | Ko-Fi
Bombermanga | Bomber Base | B-Daman Now, Dog!

If I don't wield the bomb, I can't protect you. If I keep wielding the bomb, I can't embrace you.
View user profile Send Private Message
herrDoktorat
Bomberman

Post#2  Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:48 pm  Reply with quote + 
You and Sakaki have been pretty busy, uh?

Although I somewhat knew what they said (I know basic japanese), that is a pretty nice guide there, specially regarding things I didn't notice before, like how they refer to themselves! Thanks for that!

A little something in Mihaele's section: as far as I know, the correct term would be "sayonara" (さよなら or サヨナラ), without the intruder "u". Just pointing out, lol, it is still a great transcript. "Bakuhonoo no Senshi Bonbaaman", uh? Utsukushii...!
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#3  Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:43 pm  Reply with quote + 
Shiro wrote:
A little something in Mihaele's section: as far as I know, the correct term would be "sayonara" (さよなら or サヨナラ), without the intruder "u". Just pointing out, lol, it is still a great transcript. "Bakuhonoo no Senshi Bonbaaman", uh? Utsukushii...!

The "u" is there to indicate the long vowel, since that is actually how it's technically/formally spelled in Japanese. (And if you listen closely to Mihaele's voiceover, you can actually hear that long sound, which sometimes gets missed in normal speech.)

That's a minor thing, though. :hilarious:  Thanks for caring enough to point out, though!

If I don't wield the bomb, I can't protect you. If I keep wielding the bomb, I can't embrace you.
herrDoktorat
Bomberman

Post#4  Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:49 pm  Reply with quote + 
No problem. It does have a long vowel, but hey, people may learn wrong if they read that, hehe! The actual kana does not have the "u", though, since japanese contains no vowels, only syllables (there ARE, of course, exceptions). Even "Bombaaman" (actually BOMUBAAMAN) has no extra "a", but an extension simbol (ボンバマン). But you probably already know that, I just like to talk about japanese, hehe.

In any case, as I said before, it is an amazing transcript. I wish the Five Dastardly Bombers had more voiceovers... Sigh.
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#5  Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:55 pm  Reply with quote + 
Shiro wrote:
No problem. It does have a long vowel, but hey, people may learn wrong if they read that, hehe! The actual kana does not have the "u", though, since japanese contains no vowels, only syllables (there ARE, of course, exceptions).

Well, if we're going to nitpick here (XD) I was, in fact, taught by my native Japanese professor that the long "o" sound in "sayounara" is spelled with the hiragana for u. Using the dash to indicate elongated vowel sounds only happens in katakana (hence why you see it in "bonbaaman"), unless that katakana is used for spelling out a word like "ookii", which is, in fact, one of the few words in Japanese where the long "o" sound is phonetically spelled "oo" as opposed to the more common "ou".

Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#6  Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:37 pm  Reply with quote + 
You guys should totally translate the voiceovers to the Japanese intro of Bomberman World.

But for the time being, great job translating these :veryhappy: 
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#7  Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:01 am  Reply with quote + 
I only checked out the voice over translations, but it was a good read.

Thanks for your good work and effort.
herrDoktorat
Bomberman

Post#8  Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:21 am  Reply with quote + 
Not that I'm aware of, no. When typing, both in Hiragana and Katakana, there is no mention of "u" except for the sound, since the "u" alone coundn't go on the word as a kana. But anyway, you may be right, since I only know basic japanese. End of discussion, it is a nice transcript. :hilarious: 

Btw, Ashtarth's title rules! "Bakufuu Oh", uh? I wonder how did you find out it was "King of the Wild Wind" since Bakufuu can also mean "blast" and "explosive wind", lol. Sigh, I'm far from mastering japanese. ;__;
Ninja Bomber
Bomberdude

Post#9  Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:03 am  Reply with quote + 
Well, this is my childhood's game, so I like anything about it.
There're like 2 years I know this transcription, though.
Shiro wrote:
Not that I'm aware of, no. When typing, both in Hiragana and Katakana, there is no mention of "u" except for the sound, since the "u" alone coundn't go on the word as a kana. But anyway, you may be right, since I only know basic japanese. End of discussion, it is a nice transcript. :hilarious: 

Btw, Ashtarth's title rules! "Bakufuu Oh", uh? I wonder how did you find out it was "King of the Wild Wind" since Bakufuu can also mean "blast" and "explosive wind", lol. Sigh, I'm far from mastering japanese. ;__;

You will never master japanese. No one will.
LOL
herrDoktorat
Bomberman

Post#10  Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:09 am  Reply with quote + 
True enough, but, I'll keep trying. :wink: 
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#11  Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:53 am  Reply with quote + 
That's very interesting... it's kind of wierd that three of the characters basically say "you came", though.

:hilarious:  I love this part:

"(Bomberman opens up a can of whoop-ass on the prison door.)"
herrDoktorat
Bomberman

Post#12  Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:08 am  Reply with quote + 
It would be more weird if they said "so you came... darn", don't you think, hehe?
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#13  Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:20 am  Reply with quote + 
No, that's what Magnet Bomber would say, hahaha.

By the way, is the whole script a translation of the Japanese version? I'm just wondering if there are a lot of differences in the text.
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#14  Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:12 pm  Reply with quote + 
Dark Zaphe wrote:
By the way, is the whole script a translation of the Japanese version? I'm just wondering if there are a lot of differences in the text.

LOL, no, this script is merely transcribing the English version. Me and Sakaki have actually come across transcripts of the Japanese versions, although at the moment it's only for the two endings. (I've seen transcripts for the rest of the game, but the hyperlinks I obsessively saved are 404'ing on me...) Sakaki did a couple of rough translations based on siyaku's YouTube vids as well, and in general, there aren't really major differences. The deviations tend to come in the form of things that can't really be translated from English to Japanese, which include the first-person pronouns.

On that note, Pommy does actually refer to himself with a first-person pronoun ("boku") as opposed to referring to himself in third-person in English. (If you want some context for this, Shirobon from Bomberman Jetters refers to himself as "boku". It's really kind of a boyish way to refer to oneself, but it's also used by grown men if they're in the presence of an elder as a form of politeness.) He does keep "myu" as his trademark...particle...thing...whatever you want to call it. I'm mildly curious as to what pronoun Bomberman would use (from the good ending credits, when he actually has dialogue); my first guesses are either "boku" or "watashi", but it would be a bit loltastic if he actually used "ore."

Uh...yeah. *shrugs* Sorry to keep harping on that point about the first-person pronouns, but there's really no equivalent to it in English, and it does say something about the person using whatever one they use. :oops: 

...Lilith calls Pommy "Pomyu-chan." I find this unbearably cute. Poor Bomberman gets no honorific from her as far as I remember, though. :hilarious: 

herrDoktorat
Bomberman

Post#15  Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:47 pm  Reply with quote + 
I'll try to play through the japanese version someday now to check on Bomberman's dialogue. Since he is shown as a robot in this game, one would think he'd use "watashi", but I think "boku" suits him better. I should also be noted that "boku" is usually used by young boys, although bratty ones can use "ore" every once in a while.

I don't know if its just me, but, I love to check on what kind of terms the characters use in Japanese. Things like a brat who only uses "ore", but downgrades to "boku" in front of a girl he likes you can only see in the original language, don't you agree?

But I'm still happy about the "Bakuhonoo no Senshi Bonbaaman", it sounds really cool and Bomberman is truly a hero: it was about time he had a title of sorts!

バクホノーノセンシボンバーマン!
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Game Help All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2249s
Index - Back to Top