4 - Good
 22%  [ 2 ]
5 - IT'S AWWWWWWRIGHT
 44%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes: 9

Bonk
Bomberdude

Post#1  Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:17 pm  Reply with quote + 
If you've been on these boards for a while then you know that it definitely has a Nintendo bias; Perhaps this thread will offer a less one-sided debate and bring about enlightening conversation; hopefully it won't degrade into a childish gamefaqs flame war.

Consider these talking points:

- What's your opinion on the hardware itself?
- What are the highlights and lowlights of the games you've played?
- How was the PS2's launch compared to what others had to offer?
- How do you feel about their business philosophy?
- RIIIIIDGE RACER!

My thoughts:

I have a love/hate relationship with my PS2. First the hardware. The PS2 is the only console since the NES that I've had any technical problems with whatsoever. I frequently had to open it up and clean it out or fix something inside; and the disc tray became warped without my ever pushing on or abusing it; I had to get a new lens and disc tray to fix it. Compare this to my N64 which I've had for 9 years and it still ors perfectly even with regular abuse in the past. This hardware problem really got on my nerves throughout the years, at first limitng me to playing silver Ps2 discs (black PSX discs and Blue PS2 DVDs were too dark for its weak lens) and then it stopped working altogether.

As for the gaming library:

I've had a unique gaming experience on the PS2, since I usually shyed away from popular games until they went GH for $20. My collection, also including games I don't own but borrowed from someone:

Ace Combat 4: ZOMG ACE COMBAT.

Alien Hominid: This game is good, and I don't give a shit what anyone says about it. Common arguements (and my responses) against it (actually not so common, taken from the only other AH player in a thread on shooters from another forum):

- You die too any cheap deaths that can't be dodged.
So its better to have a million slow moving bullets onscreen instead of one big hard to dodge robotic bumblbee thing? What does that make the classic R-Type where you have to dodge a huge meteor 3/4 the size of the screen in a little ship that moves slower than a dead snail crawling into the wind with an iron ball chained to its head.
- The whole art style was made to promote an artist
In that case let's dismiss Shadow of the Colossus for its pretentious art house minimalism and oh, how about every single cel-shaded game ever?
- Alot of enemies take shots at you from behind
That's why you have unlimited ammo. Turn around every once in a while. Or would you like every enemy to spawn directly in front of you?
- The stages are poorly designed
Most vertical shooters have levels varying only in their background, which may or not be interactive.
It's a well-rounded game and for once the developers actually care about the quality of their product.

Ape Escape 2 - I'm not going to bother justifying my opinion here but this game blows.

Ape Escape 3 - This is what AE2 should have been. Ask me about it later.

Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits - haven't played

Bombastic - haven't played

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness - not that great of an action game, but it's a fair action RPG and the soundtrack is bitchin'.

Castlevania: Lament of Innocence - The most underrated castlevania. Combines the RPG elements of SotN and the actual playability of the classic Castlevanias. The soundtrack is one of the greatest of all time.

Contra: Shattered Soldier - a game for men with hair on their chest. It's unreasonably hard and I like it that way. Easy mode doesn't make it easy on you: It just gives you more continues to take punishment.

Dark Cloud - What is this. It's like someone decided to take Fatal Labyrinth and remove the Hydlide aspects, or like someone took Ragnarok online or Runescape or some other shitty MMORPG (I loathe online RPGS) and took out the online part. Total crap. My brother loves it.

Dark Cloud 2 - I sold this one off a long time ago. It's a huge improvement over the first (which was total crap) until after the second dungeon when it rapidly spirals into mediocrity. And once again you get the most generic RPG experience since Beyond the Beyond. Not worthy.

Devil May Cry - Good way to kill a weekend. Dante's badassness is questionable but not the quality of this game. The lowlight is the normal battle music which falls under the dictionary definition of repetitive butt metal. Not action gaming's savior but a worthy addition to any collection.

Final Fantasy X - I was suprised it wasn't as bad as the first 400 hours would have you believe; yeah, the storyline is pretty much FF7 cut-paste; yeah, the soundtrack totally blows; yeah the character design is laughably uninspired and repetitive, but it's a solid RPG for you to go 3/4 of the way through until you get to that goddamn snow mountain and quit for a few months after getting tired of losing to Seymour over and over and being to apathetic to level your characters up.

Final Fantasy X-2 - Someone from another forum I go to shopped the image to say Final Fantasy X-Jew, I lol'd and cracked open a can of lmaonade. I like the battle system but I only played the game for a few hours before I lost interest and haven't picked it up since.

Gadget Racers - haven't played really

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - I think there will be enough GTA hate in this thread without my input.

Guitar Hero - prepare for some copypasta from one of my journals:
"When I was 12, I was playing my piece of shit 150 dollar fender and I thought about how BITCHIN' it would be if there was a game where you were a knight who demolished buildings by shooting flaming dragons from his axe. And I thought this game should be called guitar hero. Fast forward a few years later, I opened the pages of OPM (a really shitty gaming rag, so I wipe my ass with it) and read about a new game called Guitar Hero, I was infuriated, just like when I first saw Samurai Pizza Cats for the first time, plagiarizing bastards. I threw the magazine at the wall and broke the demo CD inside and my mom bitched at me for it, true story.

So today I actually played it. This was because a friend convinced me to, saying it was not only better than Frequency (which I've never played), but also better than DDR Mario Mix (EDIT THERE IS SARCASM BETWEEN THESE HERE PARENTHESES As if any game could hope to be). Needless to say I am not impressed. On a real guitar, there are 24 frest over 6 strings, including open string. 6 * 24 = 144 frets. The guitar hero controller has 5 buttons. Awesome. I would rather justy play on the ordinary PS2 controller instead, instead of disgracing the name of god's greatest instrument. There isn't anyway to use real-life knowledge to play this game either, so Steve Vai would have just as hard a time playing it as Jow BLow down the street. If I made a music game, it would be called PAC-Man. You play as a pen that must write perfect authentic cadences on a staff.

And you'd think that a game about guitars would feature a soundtrack not catered toward pussies. The hardest stuff on here is Megadeth, AKA metal for 14-year olds. I would have demanded Frank Zappa but it would be an insult to his great name to include his work on guitar hero's soundtrack alongside such classic artists like Sum 41."

Half-Life - haven't played it but who cares there's a vastly superior PC version anyway

Katamari Damacy - weeaboo: the game.

Metal Arms: Glitch in the System - Ratchet & Clank: Not very fun with an incredibly bad soundtrack version

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - don't get me started on this piece (not masterpiece). Hideo Kojima is the most overrated writer in video games.

Metal gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - This is how you make a fun MGS game. The gameplay is amazingly well polished woth tons of things to do and tons of ways to do them. Buy it. Oh yeah storyline still sucks but not nearly to the extent of MGS2.

Pac-Man World 2 - Imagine a plain white box with the word "PLATFORMER" on it. Pac-Man World 2 is the game inside that box.

Phantom Brave - To be honest I haven't played far enough into it to be able to comment but that won't stop me: this game is boring, and it doesn't help that all the characters look like sprite rips of Ragnarok online. Bitchin' soundtrack.

Primal - I didn't care for this game and its lousy butt metal soundtrack too much but I really didn't give it a chance, it's an average action game.

Psychonauts - Tim Schafer. Enough said.

R-Type Final - A fitting tribute to one of the greatest series of all time. What irem does besides R-Type is beyond me. I guess this gives them more time to work on Kickle Cubicle 2.

Ratchet and Clank - All, 4 games, I bought all of them (on release day, except for #1 which I bought a few days later). Ratchet & Clank, the light of my life, why must you only come out once a year? To get an idea of how much I like this series, take everything good you've ever said about a game and magnify that by 100x, then add on the fact that David Bergeaud composed their soundtracks for the best series ever.

Samurai Warriors - haven't played it yet

Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga - MORE COPYPASTA! - "take all the angst and anime cliches you can find, paint them on a generic RPG, give it a bitchin' soundtrack and throw in some horrible buddhist references for good measure. Then break it into 2 half assed chunks with virtually no improvement and expect people to pay twice as much for it. What can I say, it worked for me."

Shining Force Neo - more like gauntlet than Shining Force. Haven't played far enough to comment. Although I will say this: HOT STUFF COMIN' YOUR WAY!

Shinobi - A great and underrated Ninja action game. Not as good as DMC but what can you expect?

Silent Hill 2 - Haven't played very far into it, but Pyramid Head is in it and anyone with sense knows that Pyramid Head is awesome.

Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus - Its OK, I like the cane and swinging on things but it's nothing to buy the system over.

TimeSplitters - Generic FPS with CAPTAIN ASH!

TimeSplitters: Future Perfect -haven't played, but I watched my little brother play periodically and I like its personality, Captain Ash is back and more Charles *beep*ens than ever.

Xenosaga Episode I - an above average RPG marred by a lousy Chrono Cross-cloned angstacular soundtrack and an insultingly self-important and pretentious storyline; this game features attractive female androids.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, that's my thoughts, what're your's BMB? PS2 THREAD GO!
View user profile Send Private Message
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#2  Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:42 am  Reply with quote + 
Thats quite a post to compete with there Kuttlas but I'll take my crack at it by discussing my experiences and all the games in my collection...

-Beware my typos- I don't feel like going over this post....

I only got my PS2 abotu a year ago. So I definately got it very late. My first 2 games were Megaman X 8 and La Pucelle Tactics.

I am yet to have problems with the hardware. I bought my system used and it runs great. I never have had trouble with loading the discs up or anything. Perhaps I was lucky and the owner before me took good care of it or maybe I'm just blessed with a great machine, who knows?

I'm not too familier with the system's launch so I have no comment on that...

I'm primarily a supporter of Nintendo so I really have no opinions or cares about the PS2's business philosophy...

Anyway, my opinion on the games I've played. I'll try to do it by the order I got the games in from memory.

Megaman X 8 - I've always liked Megaman and thus I don't stop buying them. This one was pretty interesting but I did not play it as much as I had hoped. I guess I'm not as hardcore as I used to be because I find Megaman games to be incredibly difficult to beat nowadays. My favorites will still be the older ones.

La Pucelle Tactics - This little game by Nippon Icchi is among my all time favorites. It's a tactical turn based anime-style RPG of the likes of Final Fantasy Tactics. I loved its characters and its soundtrack and just everything about it. I'd say this game is still my personal favorite on the PS2, even with all the other games I've gotten after this one.

Guilty Gear X - I saw this little fighter at Gamestop for a mere 8 bucks so I said "why not?" and picked it up. So worth it.... This game is probably my most played 2 player game on the PS2. It's a fighter but not so run of the mill as most fighters are. The cast of characters is among the strangest ever seen from a freakishly tall dr. with a giant scalpel and a paper bag over his head to a chick in a straight jacket that fights you with her hair, to a little pirate girl that swings an anchor around right down to a man with white hair covering his face with a blue eye painted over it, that fights you with a pool que and pool balls. The VS mode is really intense and its got the coolest songs I've heard in a fighter. Great game and really cheap now.

My brother has Devil May Cry 1 and 3 but i have not played them really. It's not my type of game. So I have no real opinion of it.

He also has Metal Gear Solid 2, 3 and 3 subsistance. I have not played much of those either but they are really fun to watch. I watched my borther play through the bulk of them. I think if I had the patience to play through them I'd probably like Solid 3 more so then 2.

He also has Megaman X collection. No real explanation necassary there. Its all the oldschool 2D X games in a single package. There is no room for failure.

Other games my brother owns that i havent played...
Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (I have some interest to play this at some point.)
Viewtiful Joe (No interest)

Zone of the Enders
A mech battling game. I really liked it alot. It only took me about 6 hours to beat but I did get stuck for awhile in the middle of the game. I really enjoyed it for the most part. Weird but cool soundtrack and the game handles pretty well. The characters weren't too bad but could've been better. My favorite was Viola. Anyway It was good enough for me to still try the sequel, which is probably better.

Capcom Classics Collection - I bought this mainly because of my Capcom fandom... Most of these games I either have already or they just weren't that good... The highlights of the game were reminecing with street Fighter 2 and the challenging 1943 Kai. Final Fight is also an honorable mention. Most of the rest of these games are mediocre or I have them already on my Genesis or something...

Soul Calibur III - I absolutely love soul Calibur III's customization and character creation. It was definately what kept this game interesting since I'm not very partial to 3D fighters. Saving up money and earning new clothes and accessories for your custom characters was alot of fun. Plus getting to fight your friends' custom characters is always enjoyable. Without thiat this would've just been another #d fighter I wouldn't of bothered getting.

Guilty Gear Isuka - The latest Guilty gear on the PS2. It takes an interest5ing twist with a new 4 player VS mode but the game is quite strange. Just turning your character around is set to a button and you can jump between 2 planes. very weird. Among the people I know you either loved it or you hated it. Even among the guilty gear fans. Some of my firends that love guilty gear x aboslutely hated the new play style. I actually liked it quite a bit and of course the new hcaracters andm usic were quite good. good stuff but very strange. It's alittle bit like the old Saturn game Guardian Heroes.

Megaman X 7 - I had all the others ones so I grabbed htis one too. This one is terribly hard and the 3D portions of the game make it most aggrovating and unenjoyable to play. One of the worst X games but it still was alittle fun for me. Of course I didn't get very far in it at all....

Tales of Legendia - This game was one of my gleaming hopes for the PS2. I was expecting it to be everything Tales of Symphonia was and beyond but I was quite disapointed by minor things. The characters were slightly less cool the multiplayer was gone. little things that I just couldn't look around. I played about 15-20 hours of it and I stopped. I think its a really great game but my hopes for it were just too high and it makes it seem alot more disappointing then it really is. Theres still some great fun to be had with this game and I intend to finish it someday.

YS VI: The Ark of Napishtim - I have yet to play this game but it looks really awesome since I absolutely loved YS III on Genesis and SNES. The music is really nice and the gameplay looksl ike alot of fun. I will probably play it soon.

DDRMAX: Dance Dance Revolution - I never showed a significant interest in this series but I finally broke down and tried it at my cousin's house and I was strangely addicted to it. Its music is mostly really good and its great excercise. Fun game.

So all in all I've gotten alot of fun out of the PS2 its not so strong as gamecube in the multiplayer department but there's many stronger sinlge player games on it. Its laso got alot more anime style games. I haven't played it anywhere near as much as gamecube though. This system will also get a 3 rating from me. It not played as much as gamecube but some of the games were much more interesting. I just don't feel there are as many great games on this system as PS2 but that may only be because of the large amount of time I've had the gamecube more then this.

Anyway yes. Those are my thoughts. *phew*
Hammer Bomber
Bomberman

Post#3  Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:58 am  Reply with quote + 
I have a PS2, i borght it for Bomberman Hardball and these days i only use it to play DVDs in my room, as far as games go for me, it is quite unappealingand what with my PSone incedent i have never rearlly trusted Sony with it HOWEVER...

well, no however, my tastes dont give it mutch favor, i play sonic Gems on it a lot espeshally Sonic CD but its a multifomat relice so it dosent rearlly count. The PS2 vershion was cheaper than the game.... aha, theres a bonus, games are ushally a lot cheaper for that system, i only have three games for it but they were all good value
JET_ALONE
Bomberdude

Post#4  Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:32 am  Reply with quote + 
Quote:
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - I think there will be enough GTA hate in this thread without my input.

I love you.

Well I don't actually own a PS2, our family does and / or did. The first one crapped out, after being buggy and horrible, but our slim is doing okay. But the outside is pretty much falling apart. DVD playback is pretty shite too. I hate the hardware.

Well there's been very rare occassions where I actually played the thing. The framrate and loading times anoyed me to an unlimited end. I remember playing Sonic Heroes and OH MY GOD I just wanted to die. I shudder to think what Gems Collection would be like with it probably having bad loading times already, and two of its games already being in CD format, and it being on a PS2 on the first place.

The only game where I've been enjoying myself would probably be Megaman X8. What a solid yet somewhat difficult platformer...A real challenge, a gem even. The soudtrack 'aint that amazing though. It's cool, but its like...Background noise. Oh well it did add to the atmosphere of the levels. Did I mention how impressed I was with the dubbing? Nice graphics too. Good one Capcom.:P

Other than that, well I know the PS2 has some brilliant games but I haven't seen them here. And some of them aren't even available in english. Bah. Well maybe one day I'll get my own and a few obscure titles. Maybe.

As for Xenosaga, I'm getting Xenosaga I & II for Nintendo DS, so I guess I could try the first and second chapters on PS2 when I get the chance.

Business philosophy? Don't know it. Launch? Didn't pay attention back then and I still don't now. Wow I am a Nintendo bias. :oops: 
Glair Bomber
Bomberdude

Post#5  Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:55 pm  Reply with quote + 
PS2 was new for me, because everything before it had been Nintendo related. I got my PS2 for Christmas I think two or three years ago. I didn't pay much attention to the launch or advertising... I was too busy playing Gamecube. xD

Hardware, well, my PS2 works all right. But I think a general problem is all the loading screens. -.-

I'm going to try a mention some games no one has brought up yet... but there are a few things that I would like to say about some that have.

Ratchet and Clank: ^____^ My first game on the PS2! I loved the first one TO DEATH! However, I bought the next two, and I had to say I was disappointed. I didn't bother with the 4th. Love the music, though. :3

Kingdom Hearts: There are some huuuuge hypes over this game. I don't really get it, though. It wasn't spectacular in any way, and I got bored with it quickly. I sold it for ten bucks.

Sonic Heroes: I had specifically asked for this game FOR GAMECUBE. But I still got it for PS2. >< Like already mentioned, loading was a pain in the ass and just... it was... gross, to say in the least. The graphics weren't as great as they could've been. Plus, in general, it was a really craptastic game.

Magic Pengel: This is deffinitely not a popular game. The only reason I enjoyed it is because the basis was pretty much "draw your own Pokemon." Except they weren't Pokemon... I mean, you get what I mean, right? Once you drew something, you could battle it out with other "doodles" in a rock-paper-scizzors type battle. I could draw lots of cool things though... all in all, I didn't mind spending $15 on this.

Full Metal Alchemist: Shitty anime game. I used to be a fan of the anime, and I still regretted paying the $39 for this.

Samurai Champloo: Amusing game. I'm a huge fan of the anime, though, so I'm probably being biased. Many graphical difficulties... such as their sleeves. And I guess it was too hard to make their mouths actually MOVE when they spoke...

American Idol: Yes, I did buy this game. Shit.

DDR: I'm more active now! :happy: 

Hero the level 43 Meowth!
JET_ALONE
Bomberdude

Post#6  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:00 am  Reply with quote + 
Zomg DDR!!! :surprise:  How could I forget. I love that game. I'm pretty new to it though. My ones called Dancing Stage something or other and I'm sure it's pretty outdated. I'm better than anyone else I know at it though. And if not I can usually improve myself in a short amount of time.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#7  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:01 am  Reply with quote + 
I guess you didn't see DDR in my post then because I did mention it.
JET_ALONE
Bomberdude

Post#8  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:33 pm  Reply with quote + 
Sorry. Didn't mean to insult anyone...
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#9  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:05 pm  Reply with quote + 
Um... No one was insulted..... Well I don't think so...?

Well, I wasn't insulted...

Anyhow, you like DDR and thats cool.
yup yup.

On a sidenote. Kuttlas I love that avatar.. It's like... catbread. What the heck is it from?
Bonk
Bomberdude

Post#10  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:59 pm  Reply with quote + 
Angelus
Bomberdude

Post#11  Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:53 pm  Reply with quote + 
Dynasty Warriors 3, 4, and 5 : One of the best sereis out there. It is a 3D hack and slash game. It is based in early CHina, where you play as one of many officers in the warring countries. Each officer has a diffreent weapon and fighting style. It puts you in the middle of a massive battle. You have to fight off an entire army, not single handedly of course. However, the AI doesn't do much of the work. You have to use strategy to clear out certain areas to allow troops to get to the enemy, or reinforcing other officers that are i need of help. If your commander dies, it is game over. If you are the commander, you have the authority to Rambo through the level ( always fun)

As the sereis continues, more and more officers are avilable to play as. Each officer has their own story. With each story comes about 5 levels. Many levels intertwine. If you play through as somebody, and then play through with that dude's ally, you will face the same battles through a different perspective. Play through as that dude's enemy, and you will be on the other side of the battlefeild. This makes the replay walue great.

The controls are simple enough for beginners to pick up and play. The combos are the same for all the characters, but the moves that correspond with the button combinations are all different. You also get a Musou attack, which is pretty mush a superpowerful attach that can kill many people.

Battles aer long. Thay can last from 10 minutes to an hour. If you screw up in strategy, you are usually stuck fighting tons of people alone. Without other allies as meat sheilds, battles can be difficult. Strategy is always changing, depending on situations, number of enemies, number of allies, and how much health you have. You must be prepared to adapt to any situation.

I would rate the Dynasty Warriors series an 8/10 Thay can be better, but not by much.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#12  Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:07 pm  Reply with quote + 
Well, I might as well throw in my five cents about the PS2.

I love my collection of games for it, but the system itself is stupidly designed. I find it annoying to have to flip a switch in the back of it and then ethier start it up or opening the disk drive. A very unnessacry inconvience, if you ask me. But anyway, onto the games.

Megaman X8 - I loved playing through it and, to me, it had pretty good replay value. Having to get all of Zero's weapons, enough metal to buy everything (still haven't done this yet, but I'm very close), extra characters and costumes... The soundtrack isn't anything speical, which is quite disapointing as this is one of Capcom's Megaman games, mind you. Still, I had a lot of fun with this game and still play it every now and then.

Devil May Cry - I got into this game only because I heard it's similar to Castlevania, a game series I only started to love a little while before I got this game. I liked the game and found it to be pretty fun. A somewhat basic action platform game, it's got its own set of twists to make it quite different from others. First of all, you can activate the Devil Trigger to become a demonic form, which is cool and very helpful. It also has a nice variety of weapons to use and plently of similar, yet unique, stages to play through. It's a good game.

Metal Gear Solid 3/Subsistence - I loved the Metal Gear series ever since I played the first Solid. This game rocked and was quite fun. I loved how you had to "blend into" the enviroment to avoid being seen by the enemies. I liekd the story to the game, plently of plot twists and had a few emotional moments. I ethier loved or disliked the cast of characters in the game (it was mostly the Cobra Unit I disliked, mainly because they weren't really in depth and were only seemed to be thrown in only as supernatrual bosses), but like the other Metal Gears, this game had a pretty large cast of characters in the game, which was good. Subsistence is pretty much a better version of the original Solid 3. Not only could you play through the same game again, but you could also play the original Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 (which was unreleashed in America until this game came around) and a online mode (which I have yet to try). A excellent game that I highly recommend.

Megaman X7 - Among all of the X games I've played, I hated this one the most and you can't say anything to change my mind about it. No only did Capcom decide to make the game have 3d parts, which made the game that much more annoying, but this also had some of the worst voice acting I've heard in a game. Once I got up to Red (somehow I was able to do that), I offically stopped playing. Needless to say, I don't plan on finishing this pathetic excuse of a Megaman game.

DDR Max - Of course, now I have to say something about this game. It's a really fun game with a good selection of music (although some of the songs were pretty bad). Generally, it's a good game to play and I get some exercise from it. However, you wouldn't find me playing it at an arcade machine, simiply because I don't want to make a fool out of myself in front of masters of this game.

Soul Calibur III - While it is a decent fighting game, the only reason I got it is the character customization. Needless to say, it was quite fun building up my characters from being mediocure looking to awesome looking. Otherwise, it's just another 3D fighter.

Metal Gear Solid 2 - Eh... I generally liked the game, but not as much as the other games in the series. It's a good game, don't get me wrong, but I was somewhat disapointed with it. It's not the Raiden conspiracy (I actullay kinda liked Raiden), but it's moreso the last part of the game where it was just extremely confusing. I'm looking forward to MGS4 just to se if they clear things up about that. I've been looking for Substance, but I can't find it anywhere I look.

Ys The Ark of Naptishism - I loved playing through this game. It was great fun and I liekd the cast of characters. It was good how every character had voiceovers, even the most unimportant characters had voiceovers. It was a good game and was really enjoyable. I only recently beated the game for the first time.

Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition - A solid game just as good, or maybe even better, than the first DMC. It had a interesting soundtrack and cast of characters. It also had a even wider variety of weapons to use, but you could only equip two guns and blades at a time (changing them required going to a statue). It was also fun playing as Vergil, Dante's mysterous twin brother. If you liked the first one, you'll definatly like this one too.

Castlevania: Lament of Innocense - A good platform RPG, although not as great as SotN or AoS. Still, it has good replay value with the secret characters and such. Also had a good soundtrack, although for some reason there are no rocking songs in the soundtrack at all. It added to the medieval feel to the game, but there was really no variety other than classical orchestral music. It got somewhat old after awhile, killing monsters for no real reason while traveling through VERY similar rooms. Again, it's not a bad game, but you might be disapointed with it if you played through gems like Symphony of the Night or Aria of Sorrow.

That's the end of that. I'd generally say that the PS2 has a excellent variety of games from the ones I played through.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
Bonk
Bomberdude

Post#13  Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:00 am  Reply with quote + 
SSJ-Sonic 254 wrote:
It's not the Raiden conspiracy (I actullay kinda liked Raiden), but it's moreso the last part of the game where it was just extremely confusing. I'm looking forward to MGS4 just to se if they clear things up about that.
The reason the ending is so huge and confusing is because that's the point: Kojima wanted to make up for the anorexic plot by confusing you with conspiracy upon conspiracy. The ending is in my opinion the worst in all of video game history. The game can't seem to make its mind up about what exactly the conflict is. It goes from controlling the flow of information to something about protecting Olga's baby (?) to passing your genes on your children or something...I think it was the professional movie quality directing that made it seem much better than it was, and what can I say, it worked. I'm looking forward to MGS4 also (bujt not for the storyline which will probably be below average but better than 2 or 3), too bad Kojima won't pull an Iga and retcon MGS2.
SSJ-Sonic 254 wrote:
Also had a good soundtrack, although for some reason there are no rocking songs in the soundtrack at all. It added to the medieval feel to the game, but there was really no variety other than classical orchestral music.
This soundtrack is my favorite by Michiru Yamane and also my favorite not composed by David Bergeaud, so I must come to its defense. Your complaint is very common among SotN soundtrack fans, and I never really got it. This was the first Castlevania I bought (although I played Aria of Sorrow on my PC before that) so I wasn't expecting a rock soundtrack; when I later played SotN I thought it seemed out of place for a medieval game which took itself so seriously (just like I thought the techno beats in LoI sounded weird). I really didn't have a problem with variety because even though she didn't use a wide selection of instruments, the emotions conveyed were very diverse, and the melodies were inexplicably memorable. After listening to most of Yamane's works, it has always struck me as by far the best and most underrated.
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2151s
Index - Back to Top