Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
Bomberman '94
[Replies: 18]  [Views: 4289]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General

mitja
Bomberbie

Post#1  Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:28 am  Reply with quote + 
The second I started playing this game I was like this is so super bomberman 3. Like the bad version of it the enemies looking horrible like that fire wheel thingy in the second world I didn't like the fact that in every world there were robots and I missed the desert zone. Then I went to normal wikia and then to bomberman wikia and I found it was actually a predecessor to Super Bomberman 3. Altough this game was easier than Super Bomberman 3 the music was horrible. I played the genesis version called Mega Bomberman. What do you guys think about this game?
View user profile Send Private Message
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#2  Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:09 am  Reply with quote + 
The "Mega Bomberman" version is far worse than the original PCE version (Bomberman '94), in my opinion. The graphics, sounds, and music are all compressed and thus are pretty bad in comparison. You should try the PCE version instead, if you can - actually, the PCE version's graphics are more detailed than those of Super Bomberman 3. You can even buy it on the Wii U and Playstation Network if that's your thing.

Bomberman '94 has its faults, but then, so does Super Bomberman 3. I'm not really sure if one of them is better. I will say that the three final bosses of Bomberman '94 are far more challenging than the two in Super Bomberman 3, so the game is better in that regard for sure.

Personally, I prefer Super Bomberman 3, but that's mainly due to nostalgia and my own preference for the villain characters (and Battle Game maps/characters/items). I think Bomberman '94 holds its own though.
mitja
Bomberbie

Post#3  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:52 pm  Reply with quote + 
Plasma Captain wrote:
The "Mega Bomberman" version is far worse than the original PCE version (Bomberman '94), in my opinion. The graphics, sounds, and music are all compressed and thus are pretty bad in comparison. You should try the PCE version instead, if you can - actually, the PCE version's graphics are more detailed than those of Super Bomberman 3. You can even buy it on the Wii U and Playstation Network if that's your thing.

Bomberman '94 has its faults, but then, so does Super Bomberman 3. I'm not really sure if one of them is better. I will say that the three final bosses of Bomberman '94 are far more challenging than the two in Super Bomberman 3, so the game is better in that regard for sure.

Personally, I prefer Super Bomberman 3, but that's mainly due to nostalgia and my own preference for the villain characters (and Battle Game maps/characters/items). I think Bomberman '94 holds its own though.

I actually use emulators to play games...

It says it's japanese https://www.emuparadise.me/PC_Engine_-_TurboGrafx16_ROMs/Bomberman_%2794_(Japan)/63488 but the picture looks english it's probably as good translated as super bomberman 5 xD
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#4  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:26 pm  Reply with quote + 
Not everybody uses them; I'm just trying to cover all bases.

Early Bomberman games have so little text (and some of it is already English), and the menus are so simple, that the language barrier is no real issue.
mitja
Bomberbie

Post#5  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:46 pm  Reply with quote + 
Plasma Captain wrote:
Not everybody uses them; I'm just trying to cover all bases.

Early Bomberman games have so little text (and some of it is already English), and the menus are so simple, that the language barrier is no real issue.

Today a funny thing happened I think Mega Bomberman knew I didn't like it because today I was playing it and recording I did that with some of previous bomberman games (and other games too) and I didn't even encounter a single remote bomb (I know they exist because I was playing the other day for the first time and I got it in Vexin' Volcano and I encountered it later again and I didn't blow it up because I always place bombs carefully. Anyway all the games that are listed as PC engine here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bomberman_video_games can be played on TurboGrafx-16 because when I click on PC engine on wiki it redirects to TurboGrafx-16 and it says PC engine is actually TurboGrafx-16 and funny how Mega Bomberman is the only bomberman game that has ever lagged for me not sure if there is any other Bomberman for genesis.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#6  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:56 pm  Reply with quote + 
Yeah, there's a Remote Control in the first half of stage 2-4. It must have been accidentally destroyed during your run. If I remember correctly, both the volcano and the trolley can destroy items.

The PC Engine and the TurboGrafx-16 are basically the same console. Hudson Soft helped create it; it was known as the PC Engine in Japan. In the west, it was renamed to the TurboGrafx-16.

It's like how the Super Nintendo was originally called the Super Famicom in Japan. We just rebranded it in the west.

Mega Bomberman is the only official Bomberman game for the Sega Genesis. That's... probably for the best. Another problem with the Mega Bomberman version that I forgot to mention is that it only allows up to 4 human players in the Battle Game, while the PCE version allows up to 5. It's just all-around an inferior port, and it's a little sad that it's the version that most people outside of Japan have played.
mitja
Bomberbie

Post#7  Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:53 pm  Reply with quote + 
Plasma Captain wrote:
Yeah, there's a Remote Control in the first half of stage 2-4. It must have been accidentally destroyed during your run. If I remember correctly, both the volcano and the trolley can destroy items.

The PC Engine and the TurboGrafx-16 are basically the same console. Hudson Soft helped create it; it was known as the PC Engine in Japan. In the west, it was renamed to the TurboGrafx-16.

It's like how the Super Nintendo was originally called the Super Famicom in Japan. We just rebranded it in the west.

Mega Bomberman is the only official Bomberman game for the Sega Genesis. That's... probably for the best. Another problem with the Mega Bomberman version that I forgot to mention is that it only allows up to 4 human players in the Battle Game, while the PCE version allows up to 5. It's just all-around an inferior port, and it's a little sad that it's the version that most people outside of Japan have played.

Today I have recorded the playthrough of Mega Bomberman again and I have found the remote bomb good thing the video was shorter by 20 minutes xD. I guess the music isn't that bad but when I will play the TurboGrafx version I will comment about the difference the enemies are still random cowboys and crying faces...
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#8  Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:02 pm  Reply with quote + 
mitja wrote:
...the enemies are still random cowboys and crying faces...

Hahah, welcome to old-school Bomberman. The NES game had you fighting off balloons, onions, and disembodied tiger heads.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
mitja
Bomberbie

Post#9  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:19 pm  Reply with quote + 
Plasma Captain wrote:
mitja wrote:
...the enemies are still random cowboys and crying faces...

Hahah, welcome to old-school Bomberman. The NES game had you fighting off balloons, onions, and disembodied tiger heads.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

At least they weren't in wrong worlds and they fit in a lot of worlds.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#10  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:19 pm  Reply with quote + 
Do they fit? Or do they only seem to fit because we're so used to them being there? Tigers and onions don't really have anything to do with a factory that manufactures bombs (nor do they have much to do with many of the other environments in which they've appeared over the years).

Pre-SNES Bomberman games largely just had random animals and strange monsters with little in common with their environments. They were very abstract things like blobs that cry when you blast them or frilly mouths that chomp repeatedly. Bomberman '93 and Bomberman '94 were taking the series' very first fledgling steps into more diverse and structured design, with enemies that were actually unique to certain worlds (and which fit thematically), big bosses that stretched over the screen, and by the time Bomberman '94 appeared, even traps that play into the worlds' environments.

If you look at Bomberman, Bomberman '93, and Bomberman '94, all for the PCE, each released sequentially, you can really get a feel for how these older games were still trying to cling on to the style of NES Bomberman, but were gradually adding and revising elements to refine the gameplay and general aesthetic.
mitja
Bomberbie

Post#11  Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:19 pm  Reply with quote + 
Plasma Captain wrote:
Do they fit? Or do they only seem to fit because we're so used to them being there? Tigers and onions don't really have anything to do with a factory that manufactures bombs (nor do they have much to do with many of the other environments in which they've appeared over the years).

Pre-SNES Bomberman games largely just had random animals and strange monsters with little in common with their environments. They were very abstract things like blobs that cry when you blast them or frilly mouths that chomp repeatedly. Bomberman '93 and Bomberman '94 were taking the series' very first fledgling steps into more diverse and structured design, with enemies that were actually unique to certain worlds (and which fit thematically), big bosses that stretched over the screen, and by the time Bomberman '94 appeared, even traps that play into the worlds' environments.

If you look at Bomberman, Bomberman '93, and Bomberman '94, all for the PCE, each released sequentially, you can really get a feel for how these older games were still trying to cling on to the style of NES Bomberman, but were gradually adding and revising elements to refine the gameplay and general aesthetic.

Haven't played Bomberman for pce yet I only did the nes one. But I have played Bomberman '94 today for the first time and god it was better in almost every category except I liked the mega bomberman music in this version It just doesn't really catch my ears except stage 1 theme which is different in both versions. It's a bit weird that Roois and remote bomb have the same button it was a bit annoying at least with green rooi it was kinda ok with yellow one and pink one is basically useless in this game so it didn't matter but finding out that you can be invincible in the game that sure is just but only works with purple rooi which jumps at the same time as the remote bomb explodes which is pretty handy... in my life I have never beaten a final boss in 1 minute every form took about 15-20 seconds and there were "cutscenes" which I couldn't skip but it was fun with this little trick even though I have discovered it too late in the final stage if brown rooi existed in this game it would be useless because of the controls.
BakuBonba
Bomberdude

Post#12  Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:27 pm  Reply with quote + 
One thing that I always wondered is why Blue Bomber never appears in Mega Bomberman. I know that Mega Bomberman only supports 4 players (PCE version supports 5 players), but Green Bomber is player 5, not Blue Bomber.
So Green Bomber should have been cut, not Blue Bomber.
Maybe Sega didn't want him. Hmm... :perplex: 
Sega Execs:"Blue Bomber is colored blue. But our mascot is also colored blue. Take him out! We don't want to confuse people."
Hudson Execs:"Sorry, Blue Bomber. :sad:  "
Blue Bomber:"WHAT?! But I look NOTHING like Sonic! How would I confuse people? :flame:  "
...But that's just my interpretation. Does anybody here know why Blue Bomber was removed from Mega Bomberman? :mystery: 
"When Konami gives you lemons, remember that this mode is the closest we'll ever get to a Bomberman x Kirby crossover. Make of that what you will." -BakuBonba on "Super Bomberman R's Memory Cartridges in Grand Prix Battle Mode."
Clone Lane
Bomberbie

Post#13  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:18 am  Reply with quote + 
Mega Bomberman was kinda odd in general. Those Battle Mode bombers vanished afterwards, too.
BakuBonba
Bomberdude

Post#14  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:03 pm  Reply with quote + 
Clone Lane wrote:
Mega Bomberman was kinda odd in general. Those Battle Mode bombers vanished afterwards, too.

Don't worry. I'm on it.
MISSING SINCE 1993/1994: Have you seen Battle mode bombers (Bonsaver/Bonsaber, Construction Bomber, etc)?
REWARD: $500,000
Better? :normal: 
"When Konami gives you lemons, remember that this mode is the closest we'll ever get to a Bomberman x Kirby crossover. Make of that what you will." -BakuBonba on "Super Bomberman R's Memory Cartridges in Grand Prix Battle Mode."
Clone Lane
Bomberbie

Post#15  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:13 pm  Reply with quote + 
Wait, they have names? That's news for me.
BakuBonba
Bomberdude

Post#16  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:20 pm  Reply with quote + 
Clone Lane wrote:
Wait, they have names? That's news for me.

Here is a link you can use to learn about their names.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#17  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:39 pm  Reply with quote + 
Lol, why wouldn't they have names?

Collectively, they're known as the Bomber Family.

Also, while they themselves never reappeared, they did in spirit. The World Bombers of Super Bomberman 3 retained some of their aesthetic and AI characteristics (the latter which continued to be passed down in some other games).
Clone Lane
Bomberbie

Post#18  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:41 pm  Reply with quote + 
I guess I learned the A.I. is different on different characters in Battle Mode too. Works.
BlueBomberman
Board Moderator

Post#19  Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:41 am  Reply with quote + 
Mega Bomberman is a really weird port.

It is slower and has worse graphics than the TG-16 version of the same game, and this is really bad considering the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive graphics hardware was actually superior to the PCE's (I think the processor is too, not sure on that one though). The MD's sound chip is pretty weak, and it shows. Compare Thrashin' Thundra from the Genesis version to the original TG-16 game's for an ideal comparison (lots of missing channels, worse sound balance, etc).

Classic example of porting disaster here, not an outliner, but still pretty bad for its time.
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2318s
Index - Back to Top