Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
Binary Land/Nuts & Milk
[Replies: 3]  [Views: 1553]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General

berrybob
Bombertrainee

Post#1  Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:20 pm  Reply with quote + 
I played the mini version of them in Bomberman land 3, but i played Binary Land's original version before that.

I was wondering if there are other old games that Hudson Soft made that isn't Bomberman, Bonk or Star Soldier. :shifty: 

Binary Land introduction:

I think Binary Land's controls are hard, because you control two penguins in the same controller. Your objective is to put the two penguins near the heart that's located in the top of the screen. But there are obstacles in the way, so you have a button to attack to get rid of the enemies and to save the other stuck penguin.

Nuts & Milk introduction:

You control a car. No, it isn't a racing game. It's a platformer just like Mario Bros. and Balloon Fight. And yes, the car jumps! Your objective is to get all the food in the map, then return to the house. But there is another car (controlled by AI) that will pursuit you. If you touch him, you lose a life. You also lose a life if you fall into the water. So you need to avoid them!
View user profile Send Private Message
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#2  Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:30 pm  Reply with quote + 
berrybob wrote:
I was wondering if there are other old games that Hudson Soft made that isn't Bomberman, Bonk or Star Soldier. :shifty: 

I haven't played these (yet!), but here's something interesting that you might not know about, which actually relates to Bomberman. My apologies if you have; I've talked about this with various people many times.

There were two games made by Hudson Soft back in the late 80's/early 90's called Neutopia and Neutopia II, released on the PC Engine. They're very Zelda-like games with a greater emphasis on magic. They also had more detailed graphics and tighter controls, basically like A Link to the Past before ALttP even came out. I've personally played through them both and they're actually pretty good.

Why is this particularly interesting? Well, a lot of the monsters from the Neutopia games showed up in Super Bomberman 3 - in fact, most of the monsters in SB3 are Neutopia monsters - and many of them continued to appear throughout the franchise. Additionally, Bomberman Tournament (Bomberman Story, GBA) takes place in a world that greatly resembles the world map of Neutopia II, with many of the game's monsters, powers and gimmicks. For example, one of the Charaboms gives Bomberman the ability to create a rainbow bridge across gaps. This is identical to a power the player has in Neutopia II. Also, the old men encountered in the dungeons originally appeared in Neutopia II, and looked pretty much the same, chained up and everything.

There are seriously so many connections, it would be hard to list them all without playing through the games again.

It has been theorized that Bomberman Story was originally intended to be Neutopia III, but given how similar it is to Neutopia II, thinking about it over the years, I feel like it's more of an homage, Bomberman-style.

Here are some relevant links:

Post listing the SB3 enemies taken from Neutopia (note: image no longer exists)

Map of Neutopia II (note in particular the ice fortress and the layout of the undersea area)
Fuzzy Pickles
Bombertrainee

Post#3  Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:45 pm  Reply with quote + 
Hudson Soft made (and published) a lot of old games. They had a huge catalog for the TurboGrafx16/PC Engine, many of which made it to the Wii Virtual Console. Quite a few games showed up on NES/SNES as well.

They made a really solid shoot-em up called Air Zonk (called PC Denjin in Japan). In it, you control Zonk, a futuristic version of Bonk and fight through five stages. The game also has a lot of replay value, especially if you're not very good at it like me.

Off the top of my head, there's also Soldier Blade, Star Parodier (I wish I had gotten this game before it got removed off the North American Wii Virtual Console... now I have to get a Japanese credit card and buy a Japanese Wii just to get it), Bloody Wolf, and the Adventure Island series. Really, you'd be surprised how prolific Hudson Soft was as a company. I also want to get Hagane, but that is rather expensive to get. Pretty sad that it never showed up on the Virtual Console.

And Neutopia enemies show up in Bomberman games? Now I will have to try both games.
berrybob
Bombertrainee

Post#4  Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:04 am  Reply with quote + 
Plasma Captain wrote:
berrybob wrote:

I haven't played these (yet!), but here's something interesting that you might not know about, which actually relates to Bomberman. My apologies if you have; I've talked about this with various people many times.

There were two games made by Hudson Soft back in the late 80's/early 90's called Neutopia and Neutopia II, released on the PC Engine. They're very Zelda-like games with a greater emphasis on magic. They also had more detailed graphics and tighter controls, basically like A Link to the Past before ALttP even came out. I've personally played through them both and they're actually pretty good.

I knew little about Neutopia; they say it's like bomberman, but when i see that that Neutopia had connections with Bomberman Story, now i'm more interested in this game. Thank you for telling me this story!

Fuzzy Pickles wrote:
Hudson Soft made (and published) a lot of old games. They had a huge catalog for the TurboGrafx16/PC Engine, many of which made it to the Wii Virtual Console. Quite a few games showed up on NES/SNES as well.

They made a really solid shoot-em up called Air Zonk (called PC Denjin in Japan). In it, you control Zonk, a futuristic version of Bonk and fight through five stages. The game also has a lot of replay value, especially if you're not very good at it like me.

Off the top of my head, there's also Soldier Blade, Star Parodier (I wish I had gotten this game before it got removed off the North American Wii Virtual Console... now I have to get a Japanese credit card and buy a Japanese Wii just to get it), Bloody Wolf, and the Adventure Island series. Really, you'd be surprised how prolific Hudson Soft was as a company. I also want to get Hagane, but that is rather expensive to get. Pretty sad that it never showed up on the Virtual Console.

And Neutopia enemies show up in Bomberman games? Now I will have to try both games.

I played the GB version of Adventure Island. It's a great game! No wonder it got a Wiiware version. (but i never tried this one)

I only played the mini version of Star Soldier in Bomberman Land 3. I'm thinking of getting the NES version in nintendo 3DS's eshop. Any Details? :mystery: 

Hudson soft was a good company. Konami should put these games to the VC and other related places forever so we will remember them. :cry: 
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2039s
Index - Back to Top