Super Smash Bros. (The New One)
[Replies: 22]  [Views: 5732]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Page: 1, 2  Next
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General

legato
Bomberman

Post#1  Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:37 am  Reply with quote + 
Not sure if it has a specific title yet. Any who, let's discuss our expectations! Mega Man is a definite yes and Wii Fit Trainer, while strange at first, displays a lot of wackiness I love about Nintendo so a yes to her.

Villager is scary but I like how all his hobbies are attacks so yes again. I like where they're going with these new characters so far. It's very exciting.

So my big question is, if Mega Man can make it in, do you think that offers a better chance for Bomberman to get involved in on the action?
View user profile Send Private Message
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#2  Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:21 am  Reply with quote + 
Not really. Actually I think it means even less of a chance for Bomberman to come in.

See, the conditions for letting Bomberman in are pretty much the same. What reason would they have to let Bomberman join? Well, he'd have to either be currently popular, which he's not, as he would then help appeal Smash Bros to a wider audience or at least offer more sales. The only reason I can think of would be to help Bomberman sell his own franchise by offering publicity, which makes me wonder as to why they'd do that when he's owned by Konami.

Megaman is a well known and popular character, and will definitely increase the hype for the new Smash Bros game. That's why they wanted him in there. The fact that Nintendo is going the length to get said characters to join in Smash Bros actually, to me at least, means that they're more likely to overlook Bomberman and characters in his current situation.

I think if they wanted to put Bomberman in, they would have done so already or tried to. He would make an interesting character, actually and potentially. Funny thing is, he might end up with some similarities to Megaman with his ability to charge up his attacks and also swap attacks, or bombs in this case. Of course, his basic attack of Bombs would be quite different.

Anyways, I think there's enough to easily make a complete and unique character to play as with Bomberman. So the real question is, why haven't they bothered to do it yet?
Razon
Board Admin

Post#3  Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:17 am  Reply with quote + 
If you use Brawl and what we know of the new Smash Bros so far as a reference, then the only non-Nintendo characters that got added to Smash Bros were very popular well known ones. So let alone popular, the Bomberman franchise is pretty much dead at this point while Konami owns it.

So unless Nintendo were to buy the rights to the Bomberman franchise off of Konami, I doubt that Bomberman will ever be added to any Super Smash Bros games unfortunately. Regardless of how good of a character he would make in the game, since I'm sure a lot of other game characters would also make a good addition to the mix.

If by some unlikely chance Bomberman was to actually be added to the game, that would probably spark peoples interest including those outside of Japan and lead to a revival for the franchise. However considering Konami has done pretty much nothing with the franchise besides canceling games that were almost done before they obtained it and didn't let the teams finish, I highly doubt that they care or would be willing to go out of their way to do this, let alone give it any kind of budget.

So simply put, I'd say that there's no chance for Bomberman to be added to the lineup of Super Smash Bros characters at this point.

Though in regards to the actual game, the new characters selection seems pretty good so far. Also I read that the speed of the game is supposed to be slower than Melee but faster than Brawl, which I think sounds like a nice speed to use for the gameplay.
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#4  Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:02 pm  Reply with quote + 
I'm not even really following news for new smash. Currently me buying is completely related to how good the netplay is. Basically, if it isn't rollback based, I don't think I'm even interested. I've found with brawl that me owning a smash game actually does more to hurt my chances of playing it locally then helps it.
bomberman1234
Bombertrainee

Post#5  Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:19 pm  Reply with quote + 
Well i can't wait for the new one!! :veryhappy: 
Hammer Bomber
Bomberman

Post#6  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:06 pm  Reply with quote + 
I'll pick it up, less brawl, more melee is ok with me.

Bomberman is a very fragmented character, a bit like Megaman. Through the years there have been loads of reboots and several different universes with different looking Bombermen with different capabilities. If they went back to the classic design (like with Megaman) which is arguably the Super Bomberman era, I feel Bomberman's skill set would be very limited. Place bomb, throw bomb, land mine, RC bomb, P bomb. It doesn't sound particularly entertaining. And then there the aforementioned business of Konami letting a reliable cash cow wither into obscurity...

Futile optimism time: The franchise was being milked to death and lost its identity, so Konami is taking a bit of time for people to miss bomberman games before coming out with a focused, definitive reboot based upon the game's core values
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#7  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:08 pm  Reply with quote + 
Hammer Bomber wrote:
If they went back to the classic design (like with Megaman) which is arguably the Super Bomberman era, I feel Bomberman's skill set would be very limited. Place bomb, throw bomb, land mine, RC bomb, P bomb. It doesn't sound particularly entertaining.

I think you're thinking too limited. There are some unique things to come from the Super Bomberman games as well, like the ability to throw other players as in SB4. Considering a large portion of the game is based on power ups, that means a reference to such power ups could be in the move set. What I mean by this is having some unique moves like the Stopwatch. Then there's other things like kicking two bombs together and making a Dangerous Bomb. Additionally, TSA is essentially an attempt to bring the SB games into 3D, so there's all the things that that game had as well.
Hammer Bomber
Bomberman

Post#8  Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:07 pm  Reply with quote + 
Ooh, just thort, using Ruis!
WarioMan3K
Bomberdude

Post#9  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:31 am  Reply with quote + 
I know it seems a little late on this, but I'm actually looking forward to playing as Mega Man in the upcoming SSB installment. As for the issue regarding Bomberman, I don't blame a couple of you guys having second thoughts about him getting a possible appearance alongside the playable roster.

Maybe it is possible, but then again, Bomberman isn't popular nowadays...

"It is GOOD day to be giant man!" ~Heavy Weapons Guy

"What is Bill Rizer? It is just the name of a single entity who has been gone for centuries." ~Master Contra
MegaTuga
Bombertrainee

Post#10  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:42 pm  Reply with quote + 
I have some mixed feelings about that. As a Megaman fan I am very glad to see the blue guy in one of most popular game franchises such as Smash Bros. However one of the commentaries that a producer said made me feel sad: "Maintaining his classic look was top priority" ... soo... does that mean that unless it is just like back in the 8-bit era Megaman does not work otherwise? (Still, the fact that his model looks exactly like the 8bit sprite is cool... but meh)

Bomberman falls under the same situation. Just like Megaman, he hasn't seen any new game recently or any game that could actually be called "new" or "high definition graphics". Act Zero does not count.

So that sort of dragged the poor Bomberrman into the category of "only popular in the past and nobody cares for him nowadays" way of thinking of the game companies. Konami seems to agree with this as they cancelled various games. While I don't know thee reasons, they have to be related with fearing the game to be unpopular or not a good investment. And if you think about it, Snake from Metal Gear was in the game (I forgot which one) but he was the only one representing Konami, and Metal Gear is a big thing even today. So The chances of Bomberman... are slim... too slim to even be able to see them.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#11  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:18 pm  Reply with quote + 
MegaTuga wrote:
I have some mixed feelings about that. As a Megaman fan I am very glad to see the blue guy in one of most popular game franchises such as Smash Bros. However one of the commentaries that a producer said made me feel sad: "Maintaining his classic look was top priority" ... soo... does that mean that unless it is just like back in the 8-bit era Megaman does not work otherwise? (Still, the fact that his model looks exactly like the 8bit sprite is cool... but meh)

Uhhh... "exactly like" the sprite? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but no, his model is actually a 3D model, it's not a flat sprite like Mr. Game & Watch. The producer meant that they're using the Megaman from the original series. Because Megaman has gone through several different iterations, and they're not all the same character (Megaman X, as you surely know, isn't the same robot as the original Megaman).

With regards to the idea of Bomberman being in Smash Bros, I don't really have anything to say about the matter that I haven't probably said before. It's highly unlikely that it will ever happen. You could play this official fighting game that has Bomberman in it, I suppose, though I haven't ever tried it.
MegaTuga
Bombertrainee

Post#12  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:08 am  Reply with quote + 
@plasm: Ah yes. I just mean that the poses and style of the 3d model looks just like the sprites http://www.rockman-corner.com/2013/06/side-by-side-comparision-of-ssb-and-nes.html
And yes, I am fully aware of all Megamen series are different Megamen.

While I never heard of that game you mentioned, I know of a fangame called Super Smash Flash where Bomberman is included... and.... Bomberman is quite interesting although he only has one Bomb attack and it's a remote bomb. Everything else it's punch and kick which you have to give credit for whoever made the sprites because they look awesome.
And the Bomberman-themed stage? Oh yeah. Truly epic. Bombs fill the screen at random times and explode in the classical + pattern... and the hard blocks that appear from nowhere and make the stage smaller as time passes (like in most Bomberman games where the pressure blocks appear as time starts to be low). Not exactly faithful to the whole arsenal of Bomberman... but hey, You have to love the Bomberman generation look.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#13  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:08 pm  Reply with quote + 
MegaTuga wrote:
@plasm: Ah yes. I just mean that the poses and style of the 3d model looks just like the sprites http://www.rockman-corner.com/2013/06/side-by-side-comparision-of-ssb-and-nes.html

Oh, ok. Yeah, that's pretty cool that they're being that faithful. I still don't understand your complaint, though:

MegaTuga wrote:
soo... does that mean that unless it is just like back in the 8-bit era Megaman does not work otherwise?

And I've heard of Super Smash Flash, in that I know that it is a thing that exists, but I don't remember having ever played it.

As for DreamMix, it's like Smash Bros only in that it's a fighting game and in that it combines characters from different franchises, and the owners of those franchises were involved. Dragon Bomber is probably the one person around here who knows the most about it.
W.A.C.
Bomberdude

Post#14  Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:45 pm  Reply with quote + 
Fun Fact about Super Smash Flash: One of my best friends made sprites for it. Too bad the flash game wasn't very good. If you want to play a Smash Bros. influenced flash game, try Newgrounds Rumble. It's much better than Super Smash Flash, but both Super Smash Bros. Melee and Brawl are much better than either flash games so w/e.
Board Admin

Post#15  Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:20 am  Reply with quote + 
So I was just browsing around the internet looking for Bomberman related media, and I came across a video of a Bomberman character replacement mod for SSBB. It's not new judging by the date, but it looks like the best attempt so far at adapting Bomberman to a fighting game. I had never seen it before, and it hadn't been posted here before either. So here's a link to the video of it, along with a link to the actual mod.

Mod - http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=25923
Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5M1dXwmPwg&hd=1
Someone64
Bomberdude

Post#16  Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:30 pm  Reply with quote + 
There is actually a really authentic Game Maker based Smash Bros. fan game called Super Smash Bros.: Crusade that includes Bomberman as a character.
Mighty
Bomberman

Post#17  Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:05 pm  Reply with quote + 
So in case nobody knows yet, Charizard is now going Solo, both it and Lucario have their Mega Evolved states from X/Y as their Final Smashes, and Greninja, the final form Water Starter of Gen VI, is now a playable character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEJBPMcbRkk
BlueBomberman
Board Moderator

Post#18  Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:52 pm  Reply with quote + 
I definitely like the new 'Smash Run' feature for the 3DS edition, it reminds me of the City Trials mode from Kirby's Air Ride.
HienFan
Bomberman

Post#19  Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:51 pm  Reply with quote + 
It's waaaay late for me to say this but I am cheering to see Rosalina playable

Now I await to see who is gonna be kicked up, I hope it's not Jigglypuff but I'm suspecting it will go
Someone64
Bomberdude

Post#20  Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:22 am  Reply with quote + 
Jigglypuff going would really stir up comotion in the Smash community. It's THE best aerial fighter in the game according to most and removing such a character with such a role would really need a good replacement.
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 2 Page: 1, 2  Next

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1750s
Index - Back to Top