[Replies: 41]  [Views: 10407]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Welcome Room
Users watching this topic: 1  
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#21  Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:23 am  Reply with quote + 
I just purchased Bomberman Jetters about a month or two ago and have played it through. I personally didn't like the Normal Game all that much. It's kind of like Bomberman 64/TSA, but I didn't feel like I had as much control as I did in those games. I also didn't feel any need to use the elemental bombs very often, as you can only place one at a time. On an unrelated note, the voice acting is incredibly cheesy.

That being said, it's entertaining in its own right, and the Battle Game is pretty good. There are several modes, some of which don't usually appear in Bomberman games. The maps all have unique features, and there are two versions of each map (you have to unlock the second version). Each playable character has his or her own unique ability, much like the characters of Super Bomberman 4 (the only exceptions are the Hige Hige Bandits, whom all share the same ability).

I really enjoyed Bomberman Tournament/Story. Some criticized the gameplay, saying that it was monotonous, but I thought it was fine. It plays like a normal Bomberman game, but with an open overworld, towns, special bombs and equipment, etc. Perhaps the best thing about the game is that it actually has a decent story, which mainly revolves around Max.

The Battle Mode is decent, and includes maps that call back to earlier SNES/SFC games.
View user profile Send Private Message
W.A.C.
Bomberdude

Post#22  Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:00 pm  Reply with quote + 
It's a shame I knew barely anything about Bomberman Tournament until recently. I probably would've loved that game or at least have a strong view of it.
Bomberstar

Post#23  Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:14 pm  Reply with quote + 
Nice little assortment of bomberman games.

Here's the ones I own....

Bomberman (NES)
Super Bomberman 2
Saturn Bomberman
Bomberman Fantasy Race
Bomberman 64
Bomberman 64: The 2nd Attack
Bomberman Hero
Bomberman Jetters
Pocket Bomberman

~~~~~My Bomberman in general rant~~~~~~~~~~~

My favorites were definitely the 2 64s. Great story, characters, worlds, and fantastic music (especially on the 2nd attack).

I also loved the multiplayer on both. Making your own bomberman with the custom parts you earn in story was pretty cool. I also liked combat itself.

In the first 64 a lot of people didn't like it for the circular explosions and lack of hard blocks. However, I thought the matches could still get very fun and intense. Since its become very hard to corner people with bomb explosions, why not try knocking them out with bombs and throwing them off the course? lol! And then the stages will flood or start raining fireballs as the time runs out too. There's plenty to keep it interesting without the standard elements everyone's familiar with. I think it's part of what made Bomberman 64 great. Good times.

The 2nd Attack added a lot of neat multiplayer modes which were nice. There was one where everyone would hunt for 3 keys, another where you just killed enemies/each other for points and won by score. Battle Royal where everyone starts with 100 points and you'd keep regenerating when you're killed but lose points to the guy that killed you. King and Knights where 2 pairs of players try to kill the other team's stagnant king. You could pick him up and try to throw him somewhere safe and whatnot.

They did also brought back the + explosions and kinda brought back the hard blocks for people in some of the stages. You'd also unlock more difficult computer opponents in each mode by playing challenges against them on your own. Lot's to do.

64 is my personal favorite but the 2nd attack is probably the one most would prefer so i'd highly recommend them to anyone even the least bit interested..

Saturn Bomberman is my favorite of the 2D offerings. It's hard to beat a 8 or 10 player bomberman with a ton of stages and pretty much all the 2D elements of the series that existed at the time. The dinos to ride on, items, etc. Nice assortment of stages for 8 players or less. For 9-10 you have to use the normal stage and you'll want a good size TV as well.

Story is also pretty good. funky soundtrack, humorous enemies and animated intro movie. A 2-player co-op mode and fairly long.

There's also a fun 1 player mode called master where you start off with a certain amount of health and try to progress as far up a tower's stages as you can, finding items/health to keep you going along the way. you'll also fight an assortment of bosses every 5-10 stages to keep it interesting.

TL:DR - Saturn Bomberman, Bomberman 64, and the 2nd attack are IMO the best games in the series.

~~~~~~~~~Rant Completed~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

lol, I hear you on handheld games dood. They are usually low priority for me as well. Most of my DS games are collecting dust.

However in recent years I've been taking more interest in GBA and PSP since I can play them on a Television. I have the Gameboy player for the Gamecube and Component cables for my PSP so I've finally started beating some of those games since I can actually enjoy playing them long periods of time without getting cramped hands and sore eyes/headaches.

Oh! Another thing I wanted to mention.

If you're interested in Jetters for it's story but not too interested in its gameplay I'd highly recommend hunting down the anime online somewhere.

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=824

It's very good for a series based on a videogame. Characters all cool and it actually has a dark atmosphere at times. It's about 52 episodes long but it flies by. Kind of episodic but there's an ongoing plot in the background.
W.A.C.
Bomberdude

Post#24  Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:16 pm  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
TL:DR - Saturn Bomberman, Bomberman 64, and the 2nd attack are IMO the best games in the series.

They definitely seem like strong entries from the franchise. Kind of weird they went from making so many console Bomberman games in the 4th and 5th generation only to make barely any in the 6th and 7th outside of party games.

Regulus 777 wrote:
lol, I hear you on handheld games dood. They are usually low priority for me as well. Most of my DS games are collecting dust.

However in recent years I've been taking more interest in GBA and PSP since I can play them on a Television. I have the Gameboy player for the Gamecube and Component cables for my PSP so I've finally started beating some of those games since I can actually enjoy playing them long periods of time without getting cramped hands and sore eyes/headaches.

I personally don't like the Gameboy Player because it makes games look too fuzzy and blurry. VisualBoyAdvance is pretty awesome though. I originally stopped playing handheld gaming in 2004 because I got sick of the GBA's lack of backlighting. I refused to buy a Gameboy Advance SP since I felt Nintendo purposely didn't include backlighting in the original Gameboy Advance just to sell their revision plus the DS was coming out and I wasn't impressed by that handheld at all. Hell, to this day, there isn't a single must have game on there for me. I already like the 3DS library way more.

Regulus 777 wrote:
Oh! Another thing I wanted to mention.

If you're interested in Jetters for it's story but not too interested in its gameplay I'd highly recommend hunting down the anime online somewhere.

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=824

It's very good for a series based on a videogame. Characters all cool and it actually has a dark atmosphere at times. It's about 52 episodes long but it flies by. Kind of episodic but there's an ongoing plot in the background.

Huh. I'll keep that in mind then. Were there any other animes made based off of the Bomberman universe? Also, is the subbing translation good?
Board Admin

Post#25  Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:48 pm  Reply with quote + 
The only other Bomberman anime is Bomberman B-Daman Bakugaiden, as far as I'm aware. I don't know if there is a full English sub, though. I've never found one.

The unofficial Bomberman Jetters sub is good. It doesn't have problems with broken English or anything, and it even goes so far as to explain certain names and such (based on Japanese words or culture), so there's no worry about accuracy either.
W.A.C.
Bomberdude

Post#26  Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:26 pm  Reply with quote + 
plasm wrote:
The only other Bomberman anime is Bomberman B-Daman Bakugaiden, as far as I'm aware. I don't know if there is a full English sub, though. I've never found one.

Ah, that's a shame. Though if it was never subbed, maybe that's a sign it wasn't very liked.

plasm wrote:
The unofficial Bomberman Jetters sub is good. It doesn't have problems with broken English or anything, and it even goes so far as to explain certain names and such (based on Japanese words or culture), so there's no worry about accuracy either.

Would watching the Bomberman Jetters anime spoil a lot from the Bomberman Jetters game? Good to hear the unofficial sub is good. The sub I watched for Digimon's first season was really well done since it explained a lot of Japanese references and did a great job translating the dialog. My view of anime was actually pretty negative for most of my life because of shitty dub work done by companies like 4Kids and whoever the hell subbed Digimon. They butchered so much of the dialog.
Bomberman

Post#27  Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:40 pm  Reply with quote + 
W.A.C. wrote:
Would watching the Bomberman Jetters anime spoil a lot from the Bomberman Jetters game?

Not at all. One of the things I have against the game is that it isn't really connected to the anime at all. There are some connections and general references in the game from the anime but once you know them you'll know they aren't really significant.

If anything, playing the game and beating it to completion may spoil the anime.
W.A.C.
Bomberdude

Post#28  Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:52 pm  Reply with quote + 
So would you recommend I watch the anime first?
Bomberman

Post#29  Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:53 pm  Reply with quote + 
W.A.C. wrote:
So would you recommend I watch the anime first?

Yes.
HienFan
Bomberman

Post#30  Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:45 am  Reply with quote + 
To be honest the anime is a lot better than the game. The PS2(and to a lesser extend Gamecube as well) has pretty meh Bomberman games.

I actually like dubs. But the dubs I do not like are those at the mid 90s and have you seen Cardcaptors and Sailor Moon dub? Gees... They make 4Kids look tame

As for games from this series I have

Bomberman World(God the characters have hideous sprites on the PS1 though)
Bomberman Fantasy Race Favourite but the control is so looooooose especially when you are controlling Machbom which I did
Bomberman Land
Burning on the PS2 was a wuss job so i got a huge PS2 list
Bomberman Kart At least the control is better than Fantasy Race
Bomberman Land 2
Bomberman Jetters
Bomberman Land 3
Bomberman Kart DX jesus this game is worse than Fantasy Race in lousy loose control
Bomberman Battles
Dream Fighter Mix
Bomberman PSP blech game
Bomberman Panic(PSP blech port)
Bomberman Land PSP the most blech of the Land series
Some sentai spinoff the most blech of the PSP entrees
Bomberman Land DS
Bomberman Land DS 2
Bomberman DS blech game only tried on emulator
DragonBomber
Bomberman

Post#31  Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:36 am  Reply with quote + 
I would disagree on the GameCube titles being "meh" overall, to some people at least. I have found in my exposing friends and family that a few of the games work best, don't ask me why. Saturn Bomberman, as much as I love it seems to be too much for some of my friends. I don't know if it's the GIANT screen of bricks or way too many people for them or what, but they don't much dig it. Visually and gameplay wise, I love that version. The sprites and blocks and effects are exactly the way I expect them to look without too much glaring, shining textures floating around giving me headaches. The Super Famicom versions, 2, 3 and 5 in particular work really well to get them interested. Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Mega Bomberman was a MONSTER is getting my cousins and visitors to our house hooked. They just loved having the chance to pick the different types of bombers, and the board variation really sold them on the experience. It got quite competitive. n64 Bomberman 64 was also amazingly seductive to my friends, in 4 player mode, despite the fact I felt "closed in" at times. The size of the sprites VS the size of the gameboard seemed to be a problem for me. I love the game but I felt weird playing it as I was so used to the "smaller" alleyways of the SNES/SFC (by far the console I played the games on most thus far) full of more space to run around in, in my mind anyway. This is exactly why I first loved the GameCube ports as the battlemodes had much more confined boards with plenty of running room and soft bricks to blow up. The thing that my guests always seem to like about these games are the extra modes, including the Balom redemption and the coin battle. Not traditional battlemodes, but that small variation in Jetters and Generations is mixed in with traditional battlemode so they feel like they can win more, and they sometimes do. The Xbox ones always sort of mess with me in the same way, as I want less effects and less shining 3D this or that and more SNES/SFC/Saturn visuals for the boards themselves and the characters. I do not get headaches from Live or Battlefest, but I do from PS1 Bomberman Party Edition for some reason. Pretty bad headaches eventually.

Lately my biggest portion of bomberman serving has been emulators/VC titles via the Wii, using original controllers with that G-Tron multicontroller adapter for the GameCube port. Before that it was a bunch of touch bomberman on the NDS with Land 1, 2 and Bomberman 2, as well as my cart of Bomberman Jetters for pinball mostly. I tried Bomberman Land on my PSP, which btw my cousins in the National Guard LOVED playing in Iraq while serving over there, but could not really endure the game on the Wii. Bomberman Blast is interesting but I don't like that cheap escape tactic/control waggling move. Of the PS2 games, I got used to Bomberman Hardball/Battles a good bit, playing it with my wife, as well some of the Land titles. Bomberman Kart's steering was incredible compared to both Fantasy Race and Kart DX, yeah. I remember trying to show a student Fantasy Race after a karaoke event I did and he was pretty scared after a while...he was so annoyed by the steering, and I was suffering a headache from Party Edition so we both were in agony. I got into Dream Fighter a bit, usually try to play that along with the other Smash Bros clones, fliptop loaded, with friends when they get in that sort of gaming mindset. Bomberman Tournament was my favorite game for a LONG time in emulator windows, but have not played it as much since I bought it. Pocket Bomberman was sort of neat to me, though it made me feel like I was playing Bombjack more than Bomberman with all the weird jumping on platforms. I also really enjoyed Bomberman Wars and Bomberman: Fight! for Sega Saturn, as they were quirky enough to keep my attention. That huge bomb in Fight was just too fun. The whole idea of building up to bigger bombs, and that mega powerup for giant bomb made my friends insane. They panicked so hard when the flames came. Tried to explain...just move to that corner of the screen NOT enveloped by death flames. ;)

I have usually found some redeeming quality about most bomberman games I have tried over the years, all of them, somehow. Or I can see how someone could like them. I enjoy seeing how other people find the games of course. Works for me. I'm weird in my blind acceptance of so much of the content in the game. I am easy to amuse and please generally, however. The old ZX Spectrum, Atari ST, MSX versions for example are hilarious. Oh...the laughter it caused me playing them in emulators. I miss playing Virtual Boy Panic Bomber, though the SFC version and the NeoGeo one manage to keep me settled when I am in a "block drop" mood. I even somehow wrap my head around Xbox 360 Bomberman: Act Zero. I guess it's the whole, I'm so scared by over realistic bdsm torture dungeon gameplay, what with their robot bodies being chained up and hooked and carried about, and the screaming and other sound effects, I can see where Bombermen go to die... I really wonder sometimes why it had to be so realistic. I like my cartoon violence in Bomberman, thanks!
Bomberman

Post#32  Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:58 am  Reply with quote + 
Jetterz really got going in its second season, while the sory-line did take over in the last few episodes of season 1, a lot of it was just the 'monster of the week' formula.

I got hooked on Bomberman via Bomberman party Edition for the PSone altho the franchises best games in my view is Super Bomberman 2/4/5 and DS 2. Low points include Act Zero, Bomberman Hardball and all of he Bomberman Lands

The modern networkable B-man games in my opinion are average and even with my decent connection, B-man blast on the PS3 is so laggy its unplayable

I cant remember if iv'e said this before on this forum but for fun multiplayer Bomberman, i have zsnes on my Android phone. It has HDMI out and Wiimote computability so I can plug it into the TV and so long as someone else has brought a couple of wiimotes with them, we can have 5 player Super Bomberman 4 & 5 matches, and its excellent
DragonBomber
Bomberman

Post#33  Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:07 am  Reply with quote + 
I like the Zsnes/Android phone gameplay support here. Good use of the technology without lugging (after buying) all the other gear.
Bomberstar

Post#34  Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:06 am  Reply with quote + 
DragonBomber wrote:
Saturn Bomberman, as much as I love it seems to be too much for some of my friends. I don't know if it's the GIANT screen of bricks or way too many people for them or what, but they don't much dig it. Visually and gameplay wise, I love that version. The sprites and blocks and effects are exactly the way I expect them to look without too much glaring, shining textures floating around giving me headaches.

AND

The Xbox ones always sort of mess with me in the same way, as I want less effects and less shining 3D this or that and more SNES/SFC/Saturn visuals for the boards themselves and the characters. I do not get headaches from Live or Battlefest, but I do from PS1 Bomberman Party Edition for some reason. Pretty bad headaches eventually.

I kinda know what you mean in this regard to the 2D titles. I don't like when they are too flashy. Too many fancy effects or smooth sprites and movement.

It makes it hard to concentrate on the game itself. I never really liked overly flashy effects and that glossy look in any 2D games at all.
W.A.C.
Bomberdude

Post#35  Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:54 pm  Reply with quote + 
I prefer it when Bomberman's multiplayer is in 2D as well. Much easier to keep track of what's going on in the screen.
Board Admin

Post#36  Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:03 am  Reply with quote + 
There's quite a bit that's been talked about in this topic, but first off though a bit late..

Welcome to the community, hope you're enjoying your stay with us.

Activity wise around here we're on and off, it's active during some periods of time and quiet during others. Sometimes when we're not very active on the forum, we could be active on the forum chat instead and likewise. Of course more members always helps, hope that you stick around. You can always catch me in the chat if you ever need anything, or have any questions.

If you're interested in the Jetters anime, as others have mentioned it's a worthwhile watch, especially if you're a fan of the series.

The other Bomberman anime was called Bomberman B-Daman Bakugaiden, but it's an older anime from the 90's. It also had a sequel, though a lot of old anime in general has never been subbed, and don't have any decent raws available for them or are missing episodes. There's a few episodes available subbed for it which can be found here.
http://www.youtube.com/user/BakugaidenFan

Now on to the subject of Bomberman games.

Gameplay
I don't mind whether the game is in 2D or 3D, what's most important to me is how the game handles since it's slightly varied across the franchise. In Bomberman Ultra for example from my brief time playing it, the speed would change far too dramatically when you got a speed skate sometimes. Which would cause you to unexpectedly go dashing into an explosion, and the PS3's D-Pad wasn't the easiest to use for moving the character around which only made it worse. The character speed and how the movement handles is one of the most important things, since all of the gameplay revolves around it.

Then other things like throw/carry have been slightly different, but they're not too major. I'd prefer that there's just a basic throw that tosses it like punch does, a set amount of grid spaces, and that you can't carry it around before you throw it since that can be relatively cheap.

For kick I like it when you have to walk against the bomb for a split second before it kicks it, and having the character react and take a moment to kick it is good too. Instead of how it is in most of the games, where if you even brush up against it by a single pixel the bomb gets sent flying. This can result in many accidental kicks, unless you start to make your turn early.

Special moves I'm not fond of, at least in some of the older games. The same goes for things like remote bombs, which can give far too much of an advantage. I just like a clean fight, and without any scenery obstructing the view of the stage or annoying stage gimmicks.

Multiplayer
The multiplayer has always interested me the most in the series, specifically the online play against other people. Since you don't have to gather everyone in a single room to play, which wouldn't work if everyone lived far away from each other. If any possible lag is handled well, then it's a great way to be able to play with people across the world. The CPU players have never interested me too much like a human opponent does, they go best in single player modes. Since besides any feeling of accomplishment from winning against someone else, human players can adapt to your fighting style, strategize and improve while battling against you, and this often provides a fresh and interesting experience, especially when you fight against another player around your skill level.

Games
It's been a very long time since I played Bomberman Tournament and Bomberman 64, but they were pretty good games. Bomberman Jetters on the Gamecube was alright, instead of relying on reviews it's best to just try the game yourself sometimes to see whether you like it or not.

Also be careful when visiting some emulation related download sites, I'd recommend having advertisements blocked since sometimes advertisements can have malicious content, though it's probably not that much different than other such common sites in regards to that.

I've always preferred emulation compared to playing games on their actual console or handheld device despite owning the games, since you get far more features on your PC than on the actual systems. Pause at anytime, save states, online play, cheats, play with the keyboard or any controller, fullscreen or in a window at any size, record and take screenshots easily, and etc. It's far more convenient for a variety of reasons, and even games up to the DS and Wii can be emulated at the moment. I prefer using my keyboard for a lot of games, especially Bomberman ones, so emulation is the ideal choice for me.

W.A.C. wrote:
I feel the 3DS Bomberman game they were making had the potential to bring the series back to the glory it achieved in the 5th generation. Not to mention a Bomberman game on the 3DS with multiplayer would've been cool. Even if it wasn't as good, it still looked like it had potential and I feel their biggest problem this generation was failing to make a really good single player Bomberman game for consoles. Granted, a 3DS game wouldn't solve that but the 3DS will probably be my first handheld gaming system since the original GBA back in 2001 so I just would've liked to see that game get made.

There actually was a half decent single player Bomberman game for this generation of consoles, it's just that it never made it outside of Japan, it was the full version of Bomberman Blast for the Wii. I was looking forward to Bomberman 3DS too, and it's a shame that it got cancelled. Bomberman Wii wasn't wasn't a full fledged 3D adventure like Bomberman 3DS looked like it was going to be, but it was a great entry in the grid based single player Bomberman games.
W.A.C.
Bomberdude

Post#37  Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:02 am  Reply with quote + 
Razon wrote:
There's quite a bit that's been talked about in this topic, but first off though a bit late..

Welcome to the community, hope you're enjoying your stay with us.

Thanks. I'm definitely enjoying the site.

Razon wrote:
Activity wise around here we're on and off, it's active during some periods of time and quiet during others. Sometimes when we're not very active on the forum, we could be active on the forum chat instead and likewise. Of course more members always helps, hope that you stick around. You can always catch me in the chat if you ever need anything, or have any questions.

Oh, I'll definitely stick around.

Razon wrote:
If you're interested in the Jetters anime, as others have mentioned it's a worthwhile watch, especially if you're a fan of the series.

The other Bomberman anime was called Bomberman B-Daman Bakugaiden, but it's an older anime from the 90's. It also had a sequel, though a lot of old anime in general has never been subbed, and don't have any decent raws available for them or are missing episodes. There's a few episodes available subbed for it which can be found here.
http://www.youtube.com/user/BakugaidenFan

I'll definitely look into the Bomberman animes at some point. Currently, I'm too busy with school to look into it.

Razon wrote:
Now on to the subject of Bomberman games.

Gameplay
I don't mind whether the game is in 2D or 3D, what's most important to me is how the game handles since it's slightly varied across the franchise. In Bomberman Ultra for example from my brief time playing it, the speed would change far too dramatically when you got a speed skate sometimes. Which would cause you to unexpectedly go dashing into an explosion, and the PS3's D-Pad wasn't the easiest to use for moving the character around which only made it worse. The character speed and how the movement handles is one of the most important things, since all of the gameplay revolves around it.

I just find the Bomberman multiplayer gameplay more easy on the eyes in 2D. As for controller preferences, I personally love the PS3 dpad and use my PS3 controller with nearly every PC game I play.

Razon wrote:
Then other things like throw/carry have been slightly different, but they're not too major. I'd prefer that there's just a basic throw that tosses it like punch does, a set amount of grid spaces, and that you can't carry it around before you throw it since that can be relatively cheap.

For multiplayer Bomberman games that allowed players to move while carrying bombs, I think I barely played any of them so I have no preference.

Razon wrote:
For kick I like it when you have to walk against the bomb for a split second before it kicks it, and having the character react and take a moment to kick it is good too. Instead of how it is in most of the games, where if you even brush up against it by a single pixel the bomb gets sent flying. This can result in many accidental kicks, unless you start to make your turn early.

Yeah, I hate it when I accidentally kick a bomb when I didn't want to kick.

Razon wrote:
Special moves I'm not fond of, at least in some of the older games. The same goes for things like remote bombs, which can give far too much of an advantage. I just like a clean fight, and without any scenery obstructing the view of the stage or annoying stage gimmicks.

I love remote bombs.

Razon wrote:
Multiplayer
The multiplayer has always interested me the most in the series, specifically the online play against other people. Since you don't have to gather everyone in a single room to play, which wouldn't work if everyone lived far away from each other. If any possible lag is handled well, then it's a great way to be able to play with people across the world. The CPU players have never interested me too much like a human opponent does, they go best in single player modes. Since besides any feeling of accomplishment from winning against someone else, human players can adapt to your fighting style, strategize and improve while battling against you, and this often provides a fresh and interesting experience, especially when you fight against another player around your skill level.

I think one of the reasons why I'm such a single player gamer is because throughout most of my life, I had barely anyone to play games with so a lot of multiplayer and co-op modes didn't interest me very much. I still find the Bomberman multiplayer modes pretty fun with CPU characters though. As for online play, I have a hard time wanting to play an online game without voice chat and I hate that press to talk bullshit I see in games like Team Fortress 2.

Razon wrote:
Games
It's been a very long time since I played Bomberman Tournament and Bomberman 64, but they were pretty good games. Bomberman Jetters on the Gamecube was alright, instead of relying on reviews it's best to just try the game yourself sometimes to see whether you like it or not.

I learned long ago that Bomberman is one of those franchises where I tend to strongly disagree with reviewers.

Razon wrote:
Also be careful when visiting some emulation related download sites, I'd recommend having advertisements blocked since sometimes advertisements can have malicious content, though it's probably not that much different than other such common sites in regards to that.

I use Adblock Plus, so I probably won't have any issues then.

Razon wrote:
I've always preferred emulation compared to playing games on their actual console or handheld device despite owning the games, since you get far more features on your PC than on the actual systems. Pause at anytime, save states, online play, cheats, play with the keyboard or any controller, fullscreen or in a window at any size, record and take screenshots easily, and etc. It's far more convenient for a variety of reasons, and even games up to the DS and Wii can be emulated at the moment. I prefer using my keyboard for a lot of games, especially Bomberman ones, so emulation is the ideal choice for me.

Emulation is awesome. I love playing games on emulators (as long as the emulators work). My favorite emulator for SNES games is BSNES because it's so accurate compared to many of the other Super Nintendo emulators out there. Not to mention you'll never be able to a first party Nintendo game from the 16bit era that looks this clean and sharp on any of Nintendo's systems. What emulators do you use for online play?

Razon wrote:
There actually was a half decent single player Bomberman game for this generation of consoles, it's just that it never made it outside of Japan, it was the full version of Bomberman Blast for the Wii. I was looking forward to Bomberman 3DS too, and it's a shame that it got cancelled. Bomberman Wii wasn't wasn't a full fledged 3D adventure like Bomberman 3DS looked like it was going to be, but it was a great entry in the grid based single player Bomberman games.

I was looking forward to Bomberman Blast. :/ Though from what I've seen, it looks like a decent game but nothing all that special.
Board Admin

Post#38  Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:25 pm  Reply with quote + 
W.A.C. wrote:
Razon wrote:

I love remote bombs.

I like remote bombs in single player too, just not so much in multiplayer against other people, it's fine against CPU players.

W.A.C. wrote:
I think one of the reasons why I'm such a single player gamer is because throughout most of my life, I had barely anyone to play games with so a lot of multiplayer and co-op modes didn't interest me very much. I still find the Bomberman multiplayer modes pretty fun with CPU characters though. As for online play, I have a hard time wanting to play an online game without voice chat and I hate that press to talk bullshit I see in games like Team Fortress 2.

That's why online gaming always interested me so much, because regardless of the time and place, you could always play with the other person if you both had an internet connection. Voice chat is good for co-op games or for talking with your team members in a fight against another team, but otherwise I prefer typing text messages in the chat system. I mainly game from my PC so I always have my hands on the keyboard anyway so it's very ease of use, though even for consoles there was keyboard extensions that you could buy for it to use for online play.

W.A.C. wrote:
What emulators do you use for online play?

N64: 1964 0.9.9
It's good since you can swap plugins, adjust the lag settings and use save files and cheats.
SNES: Snes9K 0.09z
Genesis: Gens
NeoGeo: WinKawaks
All 4 of these have Kaillera support for online play, which makes it easy to connect with each other.
Gamecube: Dolphin
The best Gamecube and Wii emulator available, though it's been awhile since I last tested it's online play.

W.A.C. wrote:
I was looking forward to Bomberman Blast. :/ Though from what I've seen, it looks like a decent game but nothing all that special.

It's multiplayer gameplay controlled pretty good from when I tried it before. Though I was referring to the full retail version of the game, it was just called Bomberman in Japan and was for the Wii. Here's some screenshots of it, just in-case you haven't seen it.
http://imageshack.us/a/img21/8328/blast50.png
W.A.C.
Bomberdude

Post#39  Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:22 pm  Reply with quote + 
Razon wrote:
I like remote bombs in single player too, just not so much in multiplayer against other people, it's fine against CPU players.

Understandable. Personally, I hate the Bomberman ghost cart things. If a player is dead, they should stay dead. Takes too much of the strategy out of the multiplayer.

Razon wrote:
That's why online gaming always interested me so much, because regardless of the time and place, you could always play with the other person if you both had an internet connection. Voice chat is good for co-op games or for talking with your team members in a fight against another team, but otherwise I prefer typing text messages in the chat system. I mainly game from my PC so I always have my hands on the keyboard anyway so it's very ease of use, though even for consoles there was keyboard extensions that you could buy for it to use for online play.

I absolutely hate communicating to people through keyboard chat while playing an online game, but I also hate using a keyboard for gaming in general. Last thing I want to do while playing a game is having to stop what I'm doing just to type something. Not to mention voice chat is a lot more fun.

Razon wrote:
N64: 1964 0.9.9
It's good since you can swap plugins, adjust the lag settings and use save files and cheats.

How does it compare to Project 64?

Razon wrote:
SNES: Snes9K 0.09z

Huh. I've never even heard of that emulator. I wonder how accurate games play on it.

Razon wrote:
Genesis: Gens

I've personally never liked Gens. Kega Fusion is a much, much better emulator.

Razon wrote:
NeoGeo: WinKawaks

I've never used a NeoGeo emulator so there isn't much for me say experience wise.

Razon wrote:
All 4 of these have Kaillera support for online play, which makes it easy to connect with each other.
Gamecube: Dolphin
The best Gamecube and Wii emulator available, though it's been awhile since I last tested it's online play.

God, I can't get that emulator to run well on my computer for some odd reason. Considering my computer specs, it baffles me the emulator runs so poor on my machine.

Operating System
MS Windows 7 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Phenom II X2 550
Callisto 45nm Technology
RAM
4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 401MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-MA790X-UD4P (Socket M2)
Graphics
W2361 (1920x1080@60Hz)
512MB GeForce GTS 250 (EVGA)
Hard Drives
977GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG HD103UJ ATA Device (SATA)
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223L ATA Device
Audio
ASUS Xonar DS Audio Device

Razon wrote:
It's multiplayer gameplay controlled pretty good from when I tried it before. Though I was referring to the full retail version of the game, it was just called Bomberman in Japan and was for the Wii. Here's some screenshots of it, just in-case you haven't seen it.
http://imageshack.us/a/img21/8328/blast50.png

Too bad it didn't release in the U.S. I would have definitely bought it.
Bomberjack

Post#40  Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:56 pm  Reply with quote + 
Dolphin requires some beef, and why shouldn't it, it's rather modern hardware to emulate. Your proccessor is quite a bit underpowered for Dolphin, your graphics card may be a bottlneck for dolphin as well, but I don't know. Just the way emulation goes.

Emulators for online, God bless Retroarch, it's missing a ton of features that I really relied on back in my zsnes days, but it's lag handling works marvelously. It also is the first time I can get netplay with the superior BSNES emulation, not toyed enough with any of it's non snes cores for netplay though. I just wish that they'd add savestate resume in netplay, as for any game without a save system that's fairly long, I tend to rely on savestates.
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Welcome Room All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 2 of 3 Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2888s
Index - Back to Top