Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
Bomberman Jetterz - A Look Back
[Replies: 14]  [Views: 5915]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General

Ashtarth
Bomberdude

Post#1  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:19 pm  Reply with quote + 
http://www.hudsonentertainment.com/user/feature.php?f=Bomberman_Jetters_-_A_Look_Back&feature_id=%A0%A8%A3%AB%96%A6

Now if only Hudson will remember The Second Attack...

Also:
Quote:
Have you already seen all of Bomberman's television shows? Do you wish that they'd bring them to America officially? Let us know how you feel at our forums and at our Hudson Entertainment Facebook page!

Coming to America? I doubt this would happen, but feel free to speculate :happy: 

Discuss.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#2  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:40 pm  Reply with quote + 
Yeah, if Jetterz hasn't come over to the U.S. by now (considering the Jetterz game came out, what, a few years ago but still no sign of the anime?), I highly doubt it will.

Also considering how poorly the American anime industry has been doing lastly, the only real way I see this coming over (assuming it ever actually does) is that it'd probably be subbed only. It'd probably be for the best that way.

Even if the anime industry was doing better, I don't think they'd bother getting a dub done for Jetterz anyway. Bomberman isn't exactly popular over in the States, not like how it is in Japan anyhow. I don't think a whole lot of people would be interested in buying the series over here.

Besides, I honestly don't even want to think about how badly it'd be screwed up if it was brought into the wrong hands (coughcough4kidscoughcough).

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
View user profile Send Private Message
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#3  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:29 pm  Reply with quote + 
I saw that linked on Twitter. I definitely have reservations about what a dub of that series would look like, especially because it's a "kids' show" and therefore it shouldn't "matter" as much, but Gintama has been brought over subs-only and quite frankly I feel ripped off, because 1) the subs are straight from Crunchyroll and 2) there's not even any of the extras that were on the Japanese DVDs, like interviews and talking about the series and such. And this is considering that I didn't even buy the first DVD myself, but my friend bought it for me as a random gift! I want to feel like I'm paying for something that I couldn't ordinarily get. In both Gintama's case and BMJ's case, I'd want a dub even if only so 1) I could feel like I was paying for something and 2) I could make up a drinking game based on how bad the dubs are, if that's the case.

AO3 | deviantArt | Tumblr
Bluesky | Twitter | Ko-Fi
Bombermanga | Bomber Base | B-Daman Now, Dog!

If I don't wield the bomb, I can't protect you. If I keep wielding the bomb, I can't embrace you.
TokiAlbatou
Bomberman

Post#4  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:10 pm  Reply with quote + 
Yeah, I highly doubt that would ever happen, considering that the Jetters game came over to the U.S. like 6 years ago or so, yet like what Soniti said, no sign of the anime.
Ragey
Board Admin

Post#5  Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:27 am  Reply with quote + 
Soniti 254 wrote:
Yeah, if Jetterz hasn't come over to the U.S. by now (considering the Jetterz game came out, what, a few years ago but still no sign of the anime?), I highly doubt it will.
Don't forget that even the game only came out in the States nearly two years after the original release!

I admit as a curiosity I'd be interested to hear a dub would be like (well, the GameCube game did give us a taster of that, but it certainly wasn't quality stuff. I do feel with some good actors and a more punchy script they could get some great results), but given the fact it's fifty two freakin' episodes long and the franchise hasn't got much of an audience these days, it doesn't sound like a good investment for any publisher. If there was some huge explosion (har har) of Bomberman publicity that signalled a return ala the buzz surrounding Sonic Adventure, I could almost imagine it being getting a release, but the prospects of that are really, really slim. Even then, I'd only be interested in it if it had a dub or if the subs weren't hard-coded. Seriously, I'm still agonising over getting clean screenshots, and those Japanese DVDs are more expensive every time I look at them.
Hammer Bomber
Bomberman

Post#6  Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:31 am  Reply with quote + 
I'm not a fan of animé, sometimes a few kids ones were on TV when i was young, they all had terrible voice acting and ignorant bumbling around a translated script, a cheap conversion process with a different team often failing to accurately portray what the original production staff set out to achieve. Jetterz is very heavy in Jappy culture, not something kids all over the world are particularly interested in

With a time gap like this, it would be even sloppier. One idea i will throw into the mix however is throwing the scripts away completely and writing something reasonably different around what can be visually seen. I've seen this done in a french 3D animation before where the American dub stuck to the script and produced something mediocre while the UK dub went in a separate direction re-writeing the entire dialog, appealing to its target audiences humour more and avoided comparisons from the original because it was in effect, a completely different show.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#7  Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:31 am  Reply with quote + 
Hammer Bomber wrote:
I'm not a fan of animé, sometimes a few kids ones were on TV when i was young, they all had terrible voice acting and ignorant bumbling around a translated script, a cheap conversion process with a different team often failing to accurately portray what the original production staff set out to achieve. Jetterz is very heavy in Jappy culture, not something kids all over the world are particularly interested in

There are some localization studios that actually do an excellent job bringing over anime. I know that you didn't say "all translated anime is done badly," but I don't like when one associates and compares a localized anime made into a weekday morning cartoon with the entire anime genre. It's not fair, as there are some shows that are actually done very well that you wouldn't ever see on TV.

Hammer Bomber wrote:
With a time gap like this, it would be even sloppier. One idea i will throw into the mix however is throwing the scripts away completely and writing something reasonably different around what can be visually seen. I've seen this done in a french 3D animation before where the American dub stuck to the script and produced something mediocre while the UK dub went in a separate direction re-writeing the entire dialog, appealing to its target audiences humour more and avoided comparisons from the original because it was in effect, a completely different show.

I don't have too much of problem when the localizers decide to change small things like certain jokes and such to more so appeal to their culture (there are some exceptions, of course, but I won't get into that). However, I don't like when localizers decide to rewrite the entire story from scratch.

For example, what 4kids did to the Kirby anime. I use this comparison a lot because it shows exactly what I don't want localizers doing to anime. The original anime, from what I've seen, has a surprisingly dark story and it takes itself rather seriously. There were some jokes every now and then, but they didn't ruin the moment and some were actually kind of clever. You wouldn't know any of this if you watched the 4kids dub, as 4kids pretty much watched each episode and decided to make their own script, rather then actually translating the original script and making appropriate changes. They try to fix something that isn't broken, if you will. 4kids also has this tendency of throwing in stupid unfunny puns into their scripts and they drag out said pun, as if it's actually suppose to make it funnier or something. If you don't believe me, watch one episode of the anime subbed (you can skip to about 1:30 if you don't want to see the intro song), and then watch that same episode 4kids dubbed. The only thing that's the same is the animation. Everything else is very different.

So yeah, I'm against localizers rewriting the entire script from scratch. I'm sure some can actually do it right, but based on what I've seen, most don't. There should be some basis from the original script when localizers bring over shows. Otherwise, why bother bringing over a show if they change everything but the animation? Why don't just make their own show in that case?

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#8  Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:04 pm  Reply with quote + 
Hammer Bomber wrote:
Jetterz is very heavy in Jappy culture

Not as far as I can remember. Yes, there was a lot of Japanese visual references (the hot springs, the ramen, and so forth), but the only thing I can recall that might cause localization difficulties in terms of the actual potential English script would be the one pun in episode 6, where (IIRC) Mujoe calls out Shirobon for a duel, but Shout mishears him as saying that he's going to marry Shirobon (duel = "kettou suru", marriage = "kekkou suru"). There may be a few more I'm not remembering, but all in all, half an episode of Gintama contains more Japanese pop culture references than all 52 episodes of BMJ, or most series for that matter.

AO3 | deviantArt | Tumblr
Bluesky | Twitter | Ko-Fi
Bombermanga | Bomber Base | B-Daman Now, Dog!

If I don't wield the bomb, I can't protect you. If I keep wielding the bomb, I can't embrace you.
Hammer Bomber
Bomberman

Post#9  Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:41 pm  Reply with quote + 
I meant visually, its in the architecture, the food (as you mentioned), the flora, ect ect. It looks very alien to children who have never really looked into such geographical and cultural differences. Your example would be quite hard to bypass actually, the speech can be eliminated but i seem to remember the scene depicted it in a thought bubble or something :P

Soniti 254 wrote:
I know that you didn't say "all translated anime is done badly,"

I was attempting to tread carefully around this so someone didn't blunder in and yelp that...

Soniti 254 wrote:
but I don't like when one associates and compares a localized anime made into a weekday morning cartoon with the entire anime genre. It's not fair, as there are some shows that are actually done very well that you wouldn't ever see on TV.

...yet i haven't. My post was a lot more on topic then you seem to have perceived. I was blithering about how it is the children's ones that are brought over that are generally poor. I would assume due to budgetary reasons or something, something cheap and cheerful to fill broadcasting space perhaps, whatever. The post wasn't supposed to refer to all Animé, personal opinions on it aside, theres some high quality dubs and accurate representations i'm sure.

Soniti 254 wrote:

So yeah, I'm against localizers rewriting the entire script from scratch. I'm sure some can actually do it right, but based on what I've seen, most don't. There should be some basis from the original script when localizers bring over shows. Otherwise, why bother bringing over a show if they change everything but the animation? Why don't just make their own show in that case?

It has to be done properly, from your explanation, 4kids seems a bit too corporate to have made a proper job of it. Usually one of the perquisites of a respected foray in this is that they have no idea whats going on having never seen it

All i'm saying is that to give it justice, an outright dub probably wouldn't work. Characters would need to take on completely different personalities, shorelines would need completely different undertones and as many of the names and placed altered to avoid people grumbling about how "they haven't done this, this, this and this right" and then moaning over how the importing should never had happened. This approach is easier to succeed at by a considerable margin over the chances for a decent outright dub.

Us as the fans wouldn't want to see the program tamed for the global youth, better that if the visuals are given a new lease of life it is as something completely different.
I'n my books anyway
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#10  Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:29 pm  Reply with quote + 
Sora G. Silverwind wrote:
Hammer Bomber wrote:
Jetterz is very heavy in Jappy culture

Not as far as I can remember. Yes, there was a lot of Japanese visual references (the hot springs, the ramen, and so forth), but the only thing I can recall that might cause localization difficulties in terms of the actual potential English script would be the one pun in episode 6, where (IIRC) Mujoe calls out Shirobon for a duel, but Shout mishears him as saying that he's going to marry Shirobon (duel = "kettou suru", marriage = "kekkou suru"). There may be a few more I'm not remembering, but all in all, half an episode of Gintama contains more Japanese pop culture references than all 52 episodes of BMJ, or most series for that matter.

Lol, I remembered that scene. It was downright hilarious XD

I'm not sure if I would like Bomberman Jetters to hold a different script. I mean the original one is damn good, I'll say. It's already quite funny, why change that? Not to mention, I love the sudden twist in the whole story when Mechadoc took over, everything suddenly got darker.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#11  Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:34 am  Reply with quote + 
I also agree Bomberman Jetters will most likely never be released here in America. There's no audience for it here. it's best chance would've been if the game did very well which it didn't.

Well.... there were a few things i wanted to comment on.

And Sora this isn't an attack directed at you or anything. I wanted to make that clear to you.

I just feel like bringing this to the table and maybe discussing it in general since the current state of the anime industry is saddening me and I need to vent a little i guess...

Sora G. Silverwind wrote:
I want to feel like I'm paying for something that I couldn't ordinarily get. In both Gintama's case and BMJ's case, I'd want a dub even if only so 1) I could feel like I was paying for something and 2) I could make up a drinking game based on how bad the dubs are, if that's the case.

I don't understand all this dissatisfaction for anime titles that are released sub-only. The anime industry is really hurting right now and the companies can save money by not producing dubs. There have been good dubs for some shows over the years I really enjoyed. The dubs for Hare + Guu and Azumanga Daioh, and alot of ADVs old OVAs are great and I'm currently enjoying You're Under Arrest! dubbed. Along with other titles I've liked but a lot of the time I think dubs are terrible. It all depends on the actors and dubbing studios and the nature of the show as well but i digress.

But a lot of people claim they won't buy shows if they aren't dubbed and it doesn't help the issue. All the people complaining about pricing and wanting collections instead of volumes grate me too sometimes. I really don't think the anime industry as we know it is gonna last much longer. In a few more years it'll probably be well on its way to regressing to the way it was in the 90s. Very few licenses/releases and more expensive prices.

I watch/watched a number of titles as they aired/ are airing in Japan and I always make a noble effort to buy shows that make it stateside regardless of whether a dub is included or not. I don't see it as paying for something that is normally available for free cause you weren't really supposed to have it in the first place. So many people watch tons of fansubs and don't contribute a dime to the industry and it's sad. I'm part of the group that enjoys the fansubs but I try to do my part to help the industry too. I see watching fansubs as a way to watch shows that'll never make it stateside or to plan in advance things I will buy if they do make it here.

An example is I'm happily waiting for my Toradora! dvds from NISA right now. I watched the fansub for that series a while back and it was so awesome.

Also, I do sympathize that it's a bummer the Japanese extras are not included.
And I could see a lot of fun to be had with drinking games to terrible dubs. hehe.

---------------------------------------------------

Also on the subject of rewriting scripts there have been plenty of cases where it did well in America. I can't think of any examples I'm personally very familiar with but I've heard Nerima Daikon Brothers and Ghost Stories were both pretty much rewritten and turned out fairly popular and supposedly hilarious whereas the original scripts were too much of a culture difference for people to appreciate or they just weren't funny.

Then other times where they just localize jokes but keep the general plot the same as before works well too. In Azumanga Daioh's dub I loved now they gave Osaka the southern accent to represent the osakan accent of the subbed version. It worked very well.

Anyway yeah I really built that post. I haven't had a massive one like that in awhile.... I'm kinda worn out.

Oh! But speaking of anime licenses, there has been some good stuff announced at Anime Expo so far. K-On!, Sora No Woto, among others. Many of which I haven't seen yet but I've been meaning to check out for awhile now, so I'm pretty pleased about them. If anyone's up for discussion about it maybe I'll make a topic. I know a lot of you guys aren't as crazy about anime as I can be so....
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#12  Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:52 am  Reply with quote + 
Hammer Bomber wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:
I know that you didn't say "all translated anime is done badly,"

I was attempting to tread carefully around this so someone didn't blunder in and yelp that...

Soniti 254 wrote:
but I don't like when one associates and compares a localized anime made into a weekday morning cartoon with the entire anime genre. It's not fair, as there are some shows that are actually done very well that you wouldn't ever see on TV.

...yet i haven't. My post was a lot more on topic then you seem to have perceived. I was blithering about how it is the children's ones that are brought over that are generally poor. I would assume due to budgetary reasons or something, something cheap and cheerful to fill broadcasting space perhaps, whatever. The post wasn't supposed to refer to all Animé, personal opinions on it aside, theres some high quality dubs and accurate representations i'm sure.

Sorry dude, when someone start off with "I don't like anime" and then starts talking about ones they've seen on a weekday morning on TV, I generally get the vibe that that's the only bit of anime the individual has seen.

But anyway, that's beside the issue. I generally agree with the rest that you said here. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Hammer Bomber wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:

It has to be done properly, from your explanation, 4kids seems a bit too corporate to have made a proper job of it. Usually one of the perquisites of a respected foray in this is that they have no idea whats going on having never seen it

One of my points here is that if someone did do a complete rework on the script, it could end up completely wrong. At least over in America, pretty much the only company that brings over anime to be used as a weekday morning cartoon is 4kids. I'd much rather have it so something like Jetterz doesn't fall into the hands of 4kids, as it'll be butchered almost beyond recognition. It's what happened to shows like Kirby, One Piece (when 4kids had it, don't know if they still do), and other titles 4kids brought over.

My other point is if they just use the animation for a show and nothing else (not even script), why bother bringing it over in the first place?

Hammer Bomber wrote:
All i'm saying is that to give it justice, an outright dub probably wouldn't work. Characters would need to take on completely different personalities, shorelines would need completely different undertones and as many of the names and placed altered to avoid people grumbling about how "they haven't done this, this, this and this right" and then moaning over how the importing should never had happened. This approach is easier to succeed at by a considerable margin over the chances for a decent outright dub.

Us as the fans wouldn't want to see the program tamed for the global youth, better that if the visuals are given a new lease of life it is as something completely different.
I'n my books anyway

If this actually had a chance of being brought over and possibly selling well, you may be right. However, if this was brought over anytime soon, there wouldn't be much of a potential sale for the series. In that case, it may be better for a more direct translation and perhaps just altering the jokes just to ensure most watchers will get that the scene in question was suppose to be humorous.

Regulus 777 wrote:
I don't understand all this dissatisfaction for anime titles that are released sub-only. The anime industry is really hurting right now and the companies can save money by not producing dubs. There have been good dubs for some shows over the years I really enjoyed. The dubs for Hare + Guu and Azumanga Daioh, and alot of ADVs old OVAs are great and I'm currently enjoying You're Under Arrest! dubbed. Along with other titles I've liked but a lot of the time I think dubs are terrible. It all depends on the actors and dubbing studios and the nature of the show as well but i digress.

We've discussed this very same issue multiple times before. I know that you're already familiar with this, but the American anime industry is in pretty bad shape right now, with a number of companies having to be forced to either shutdown or make themselves smaller (as was the case with ADV Films and splitting themselves into two companies). I may prefer dubs (usually) myself, I can see how cutting back on dubbing will save the companies money that can be used to bring over more shows, but it seems like most people who call themselves "anime fans" don't understand any of this and they have the audacity to say that anime's too expensive.

Regulus 777 wrote:
But a lot of people claim they won't buy shows if they aren't dubbed and it doesn't help the issue. All the people complaining about pricing and wanting collections instead of volumes grate me too sometimes. I really don't think the anime industry as we know it is gonna last much longer. In a few more years it'll probably be well on its way to regressing to the way it was in the 90s. Very few licenses/releases and more expensive prices.

This is stupid too. If they truly were anime fans, they'd spend the money to support the titles they like and would do whatever it takes to keep the industry from dying. But these "fans" seem to think that they deserve to get anime for free (or pretty damn close to it). Which is why a good number of them don't bother buying anime, as they think "I don't need to buy it, I can just download and watch anime on my computer."

Regulus 777 wrote:
I watch/watched a number of titles as they aired/ are airing in Japan and I always make a noble effort to buy shows that make it stateside regardless of whether a dub is included or not. I don't see it as paying for something that is normally available for free cause you weren't really supposed to have it in the first place. So many people watch tons of fansubs and don't contribute a dime to the industry and it's sad. I'm part of the group that enjoys the fansubs but I try to do my part to help the industry too. I see watching fansubs as a way to watch shows that'll never make it stateside or to plan in advance things I will buy if they do make it here.

There needs to be more fans like you. (salutes)

Recent stuff I'm into:

BlueBomberman
Board Moderator

Post#13  Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:18 am  Reply with quote + 
Meh, I think it'd be a waste of time. To me, the Jetterz anime was okay-ish, but the first season was rife with pointless filler episodes. The show didn't even pick up until the second season.

There's no way it'd be a success, especially since the English fanbase is practically nonexistent, and the few Bomberman fans around would likely be turned off by the Jetterz art style of Shirobon.
KakaoMinze
Bomberdude

Post#14  Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:27 pm  Reply with quote + 
Why does this all remind me on the discussion about Sonic X in earlier days in some other community boards? |D

I don't know if Bomberman Jetterz would stand a fair chance in the USA or different countries because like BlueBomberman said, there aren't much Bomberman-fans around anymore like back in the 90's.
Never played the Jetterz games because they never got released in Germany, but I do watched a few playthrough's on Youtube (japanese and english, of course) and I was... very shocked about the voice actors they used for several characters.

Shirobon and Mujoe where really okay, it was a fair and fitting choice, but the others... heck, Birdy sounded awful! I actually love many english voice actors, but THOSE were just horrible... sorry to say that, folks :c

But since we are talking about the Animation to the franchise, let's go back to topic.

I would say: give it at least a chance and vote for it!
I mean come on, it was a very wonderful animated series, the story was very deep and emotional at many points and funny as hell.
Of course it wasn't very serious at the beginning, but every Anime is acting like that at first and gets darker and emotional later on - so it's nothing you could complain about.

I'm mostly worried about the voice actors at that point, that is a very hard point to stick out to fit a character in the way he/she is. It's impossible to fit the characters 1 to 1 with their original voice, but I'm sure there ARE some actors that can at least fit A BIT into them.
Cutting the story? There is no reason for me to cut something out of any episodes. It's a kid's show so there shouldn't be anything that could give them a reason to do that.

Maybe the TV show could RISE the interests for the series instead of tearing it down. Who knows? You can't tell if people don't try it.

One of our German TelevisionProviders called "RTL2" tried to get the licenses for the Bomberman Jetterz TV Show, but they didn't got them and no one really knows why. Maybe because the TV Show was just totally new at that time so they wanted to air it first in japan and give licenses later on if there still is a interest.

It's really sad that especially the JETTERZ Franchise hasn't caught much attention here in Germany and other Countries. Though many people LOVE the TV show, it's hard to get other people attracted to watch it if you talk about it. It's "too childish" and such. I guess people always complain about it without a reson, since you can't tell if it's bad or not if you haven't watched it before.

I only can say that I caught a few friends from a German Sonic Community Board that know AND love Bomberman Jetterz, which really surprised me! And also I sometimes got people into the TV Show and they tell they love it :3

Best we can do is trying to get the Series up, or at least you people of America ;3
Birdyfan
Bombertrainee

Post#15  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:36 pm  Reply with quote + 
Soniti 254 wrote:

Also considering how poorly the American anime industry has been doing lastly, the only real way I see this coming over (assuming it ever actually does) is that it'd probably be subbed only. It'd probably be for the best that way.

Even if the anime industry was doing better, I don't think they'd bother getting a dub done for Jetterz anyway. Bomberman isn't exactly popular over in the States, not like how it is in Japan anyhow. I don't think a whole lot of people would be interested in buying the series over here.

Besides, I honestly don't even want to think about how badly it'd be screwed up if it was brought into the wrong hands (coughcough4kidscoughcough).
I agree, it should have been brought to america, but because of 4kids being all whiny and wanting to be the only importer of anime, they won't bring it out because after the sixth episode, it got to the point where they can not edit it without either leaving only a few seconds of animation or all that is left is a very short, choppy episode that makes no sense at all, and the fact that the acting will be so horrid that you would not even recognize the characters for their personalities, and would most probably make birdy sound way older than he's supposed to sound, since he is in his forties, and they made him sound like an old man, (the gamecube game for example, bongos voice does not match his personality, and birdy sounded way too old as mentioned above, and his face was too fat). So in the end, unless 4kids loses all of its funding, which is not very likely to happen, we may never see bomberman jetters in america, unless funimation can get the rights to it and release it uncut, which again is unlikely to happen, and if it does, it won't last long before 4kids gives them the old cease and desist letter telling them to halt all production of the series, and I have seen this happen before with a few other shows funimation released as uncut anime.
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2377s
Index - Back to Top