Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
It's official; Game Boy's dead.
[Replies: 16]  [Views: 4775]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General

Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#1  Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:57 am  Reply with quote + 
Maybe this has been evident for a while, but this officially confirms things for me.

This article talks about Nintendo's next upcoming handheld console: the Nintendo 3DS. The console is apparently supposed to have "highly detailed graphics" and may require "to have a sensor with the ability to read the movements of people playing" (whatever those two are supposed to mean). Also, it may have something to do with 3D effects (oh ho ho, I see what you did there, you clever jerks over at Nintendo!).

If this thing will be anything like it's ancestor, the DSi, this'll probably not have any sort of backwards compatibility with any of the Game Boy titles either.

In other words, if you like your Game Boy/Color/Advance games, you best either keep your GBA/SP or find yourselves one, cause Game Boy appears to be officially dead.

Speaking of which, I'll need to hunt down a GBA. Soon.

R.I.P.
Game Boy
April 21, 1989 - 2006

Gunpei Yokoi must be really sad right now. :(

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
View user profile Send Private Message
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#2  Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:15 pm  Reply with quote + 
I always liked the Game Boys because they were a diversion from the consoles... now it's just like all the handheld systems are portable versions of the consoles... :/

So sprite-based, classic Nintendo games may die with the Game Boy... And everything's just going to get all gimmicky.

Anyway, I'm sure Yokoi is too busy making Game Boy systems for the afterlife to bother with these crazy Earth shenanigens.
Mr. X
Bombertrainee

Post#3  Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:31 pm  Reply with quote + 
I'm greatly anticipating this next system. I think it will do well
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#4  Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:07 pm  Reply with quote + 
I also think it's hilarious how Nintendo pretty much just released their DSi and they're already going to replace it with something superior by next year.

Goes to show what kind of world we live in.

Dark Zaphe wrote:
I always liked the Game Boys because they were a diversion from the consoles... now it's just like all the handheld systems are portable versions of the consoles... :/

So sprite-based, classic Nintendo games may die with the Game Boy... And everything's just going to get all gimmicky.

Sounds about right to me. Just look at the latest Nintendo's doing.

Dark Zaphe wrote:
Anyway, I'm sure Yokoi is too busy making Game Boy systems for the afterlife to bother with these crazy Earth shenanigens.

XD You're probably right about that, probably new 2D Metroid games too.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#5  Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:23 pm  Reply with quote + 
Soniti 254 wrote:
I also think it's hilarious how Nintendo pretty much just released their DSi and they're already going to replace it with something superior by next year.

THIS. Sooo much this.

A good friend of mine just bought a DSi recently only to find out that they're going to be releasing a new system in one year that is supposedly "retro-compatible with both DS and DSi". :flame: 

I honestly don't understand why updated technology is released so often. I mean yes, improvements will be made, and that's great. But people are just not capable of adjusting so quickly, between money and compatibility issues. Keep advancing technology, yeah, but release new versions of things at a steadier pace. That way people get a chance to enjoy what you make for them, and plus upgrades will be just that more vastly different than your previous release, and that will make people like your product even that much more.

It seems like common sense to me. But apparantly businesses don't care about the customers nor about the resulting endless waste of metal and plastic.
dakirbydude
Bomberman

Post#6  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:02 pm  Reply with quote + 
I really wish the Game Boy wasnt dead. Now with it, some of the old style of gaming is going completely out...

I do enjoy many newer games, but they just are not the same. I personally think handhelds these days are getting too complex and too similar to consoles.
HienFan
Bomberman

Post#7  Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:20 am  Reply with quote + 
Poor Gunpei... first his Virtual Boy is a failure and now Nintendo refuse to make anymore Gameboys..
Hammer Bomber
Bomberman

Post#8  Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:51 pm  Reply with quote + 
Soniti 254 wrote:

It was a product extension strategy, every company does it
He is especially still buying 2006 technology, regardless of the built in extras

With that in mind, to not expect a replacement to take the limelight is absurd, if anything, the new model will warrant more third party support into the future for the system than without it
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#9  Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:57 pm  Reply with quote + 
Hammer Bomber wrote:
Soniti 254 wrote:

It was a product extension strategy, every company does it
He is especially still buying 2006 technology, regardless of the built in extras

With that in mind, to not expect a replacement to take the limelight is absurd, if anything, the new model will warrant more third party support into the future for the system than without it

I guess so, but the idea just seems silly to just essentially replace a new product with a even better one in only a year's worth of time. All I'm saying is if it was at least 2 years, then it may be more worth it.

But maybe that's just me talking.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Hammer Bomber
Bomberman

Post#10  Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:17 am  Reply with quote + 
A year is a very very long time in Technology, counting Moore's law dictates that the number of transistors placed on a chip pretty much doubles every two years.

The 3DS is not a direct replacement to the DSi, they will still be sold. You cannot just wait around in this market for particular customers to get a time related sense of product satisfaction, if something is finished, you cant stick it on the shelf waiting older systems to die, its not a perfume, the development will become obsolete
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#11  Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:27 am  Reply with quote + 
I guess your right.

I could argue with you regarding the 3DS actually being a replacement for DSi, as the 3DS has all of the DSi features. But it'd be mostly irrelevant in the end. I can't really argue with this any further.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Birdyfan
Bombertrainee

Post#12  Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:54 am  Reply with quote + 
I really should think about snagging a DSi whenever I have the funds to buy one before it gets to the point where none of the local pawn shops have any more and have discontinued buying more, because I am NOT getting a 3DS, because you need those 3D glasses to play it, and it has been proven that the glasses cause nasty headaches and even blindness in severe cases, and I am not subjecting my eyes to that sort of torture, so I will be working towards getting said DSi and a GBA, be it the GBA SP, or the GBA micro and a GameBoy Color, as long as it plays GBA games and GameBoy games, I will be happy.
Razon
Board Admin

Post#13  Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:01 am  Reply with quote + 
The 3DS can do display 3D without the need of any 3D head gear, also you can turn the 3D off with the slider for it or with the parental controls so that it will only display in 2D. I turned it off in the parental controls, that way it prevents it from getting turned on by accident if the slider gets hit while playing.
Birdyfan
Bombertrainee

Post#14  Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:16 am  Reply with quote + 
Razon wrote:
The 3DS can do display 3D without the need of any 3D head gear, also you can turn the 3D off with the slider for it or with the parental controls so that it will only display in 2D. I turned it off in the parental controls, that way it prevents it from getting turned on by accident if the slider gets hit while playing.
Ah ok, I had no idea, I guess it was their response to that health issue with the headset.

The only thing keeping me from getting it is the lack of games that interest me, the only game for the 3DS right now that I am looking forwards to megaman legends three, given it doesn't get cancelled since Keji has retired from capcom.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#15  Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:22 am  Reply with quote + 
Birdyfan wrote:
Razon wrote:
Ah ok, I had no idea, I guess it was their response to that health issue with the headset.

The only thing keeping me from getting it is the lack of games that interest me, the only game for the 3DS right now that I am looking forwards to megaman legends three, given it doesn't get cancelled since Keji has retired from capcom.

Even though Inafune did leave Capcom, apparently the team working on the game is still continuing development of the game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Man_Legends_3

Also there's some ongoing discussion for the game at Capcom-Unity so it seems it's still likely to see a release.

Me personally, there are a couple of games I'm interested in, but not enough to purchase a 3DS at this time (I'm interested in RE: The Mercenaries 3D, RE Revelations, and a little interested in MGS Snake Eater 3D). I would need at least 3-4 more to justify a purchase. Not to mention I haven't heard many good things about the 3D feature (a friend of mine got migraines after using it for about 10 minutes), so I'd probably just have it off the whole time.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Birdyfan
Bombertrainee

Post#16  Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:18 pm  Reply with quote + 
Soniti 254 wrote:
Birdyfan wrote:
Razon wrote:

Even though Inafune did leave Capcom, apparently the team working on the game is still continuing development of the game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Man_Legends_3

Also there's some ongoing discussion for the game at Capcom-Unity so it seems it's still likely to see a release.

Me personally, there are a couple of games I'm interested in, but not enough to purchase a 3DS at this time (I'm interested in RE: The Mercenaries 3D, RE Revelations, and a little interested in MGS Snake Eater 3D). I would need at least 3-4 more to justify a purchase. Not to mention I haven't heard many good things about the 3D feature (a friend of mine got migraines after using it for about 10 minutes), so I'd probably just have it off the whole time.
ah cool, I also saw a few good games coming out for the 3DS too on G4 during their live E3 stream.
WarioMan3K
Bomberdude

Post#17  Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:01 am  Reply with quote + 
Yeah, it is sad today...

Thank goodness I got used copies of a GBA SP, and the Super Game Boy accessory a while ago.

"It is GOOD day to be giant man!" ~Heavy Weapons Guy

"What is Bill Rizer? It is just the name of a single entity who has been gone for centuries." ~Master Contra
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1867s
Index - Back to Top