Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Entertainment Talk
Users watching this topic: 1  
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#21  Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:40 am  Reply with quote + 
Duke Serkol wrote:
I really like that Bomberman song (the regular one, not the rap version), I wonder if it's possible to sing it over the good ol' BMan theme song (or maybe a track from 64?)

On a side note, I see that the rap version is not just in a different style but conveys a different meaning in some cases (in particular the "spoken" part in Sirius' song, in one version it's Sirius talking in the other it's Bomberman).
Should I understand that you yourself made up one of the two, for fun?

Yes. The rap version came about because when I translated the first line of Bomberman's song, it somehow got rendered in my head as "Break it down, break it down now." Which had partly to do with the fact that the original Japanese in that part was "kowase kowase/nandemo kandemo/bukkowasee", which can be sort of roughly translated to "blow it up, blow it up, blow it all up!" and which had an interesting rhythm - in Japanese, obviously, not English - to my ear. In addition, "kowasu" was primarily being defined in my word-processor's dictionary as "to break." The meaning plus the rhythm of the Japanese made me debate whether the original Japanese writer/artist intended it as a rap. And when I was doing the translations for both songs and then ran the comic by my co-translator, both of us agreed that both songs, even in Japanese...weren't really much of songs, and probably did better as a rap considering the wording of some parts. (You shoulda seen the literal translations we came up with before I added the half-hearted rhyme scheme in. :xeyes: ) But, uh, the non-rap version is the "official" scanslation version, with the rap version being a crack thing that I did because I have way too much fun with Bomberman stuff.*

With regards to the part you're talking about, though, I actually consider that one of the more consistent parts of both translations, since all I did was basically change the style of Sirius' dialogue - what I'd intended with the wording of that was that Bomberman said the "What he sez" part, followed by Sirius voicing that part, which was what the quotes were for. Contrast that with the next panel of his, where I had to completely spin out something based on the general gist of the normal translation. I guess the similarities are more striking when you've had the literal translation to work on and you've had to determine what the author is generally trying to convey, though...

*The rap idea also had partly to do with the fact that I'd run across an epic rap in the comments of a TotA fanart written from the POV of the Six God-Generals from Tales of the Abyss earlier that day and was amazed that the artist came up with all of that. I lul'd liekwhoah.

AO3 | deviantArt | Tumblr
Bluesky | Twitter | Ko-Fi
Bombermanga | Bomber Base | B-Daman Now, Dog!

If I don't wield the bomb, I can't protect you. If I keep wielding the bomb, I can't embrace you.
View user profile Send Private Message
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#22  Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:02 pm  Reply with quote + 
Gotcha, anyway excellent work, can't wait for the next panels :veryhappy: 
Ninja Bomber
Bomberdude

Post#23  Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:20 pm  Reply with quote + 
How many panels are there in total?
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#24  Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:39 pm  Reply with quote + 
Ninja Bomber wrote:
How many panels are there in total?

There's a list here of all the pages.
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#25  Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:04 pm  Reply with quote + 
[image deleted!]

Last edited by Sora G. Silverwind on Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:56 am

If I don't wield the bomb, I can't protect you. If I keep wielding the bomb, I can't embrace you.
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#26  Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:35 pm  Reply with quote + 
Ah,I'd love being able to take shortcuts like that! :veryhappy: 
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#27  Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:31 pm  Reply with quote + 
[image deleted!]

Last edited by Sora G. Silverwind on Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:56 am

Ninja Bomber
Bomberdude

Post#28  Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:52 pm  Reply with quote + 
I liked just the first one (reading from right to left) =/
DragonBomber
Bomberman

Post#29  Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:19 pm  Reply with quote + 
Sora, these are freakin' fantastic. I really appreciate the hard work by you and your friend that went into these! I was out sick today so these are like an amazing gift to make me feel better through laughter and childish glee.

I read of the issues you mentioned having thanks to the awesome that is Yahoo auctions in Japan. I have a few I could scan if you were interested in having them until you probably get copies of your own in paper. The work scanner is pretty decent, though I could get the comics pages done first so you have them to do what you will with them then go back for the other pages. There is usually 6-8 pages of comics in each guide, maybe less, maybe more. I have to try better to get it completely flat for the scan, so hopefully it works out.

Here are two examples of Coro Coro comics included in the strategy guide for Super Famicom Super Bomberman 1. I have several things I want to scan, including SFC Super Bomberman guides 1-5, the guide for PS1 Bomberman World, an issue of the Bakugaiden manga you probably have but I will scan the cover of just in case, a set of trading cards, and a Bomberman Jetters coloring book.

I want to eventually make PDFs of all of this stuff to share with everyone who is a fan but might not have the cash to track it all down. I friended you on Livejournal, Sora, so that crazy dude with rambling posts from NC is me. ;)
Bomberdude

Post#30  Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:04 pm  Reply with quote + 
xDDDDD it's very funny xDD
Bomberman

Post#31  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:40 am  Reply with quote + 
These are awesome! More please~!
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#32  Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:01 am  Reply with quote + 
Hey, guys, I made edits to the initial post in this thread to reflect this, but to bump things a bit -- we've moved the 4-komas over to Tumblr! Or, more technically, we will as soon we get back on that project again. I've taken down the old ones because I'm not really happy with the quality of them; we'll be re-doing the scanslations from scratch once we're finished with the Golden Sun 4-komas. In the meantime, a translated fanart or two will get tossed up on the Tumblr. So if you have a Tumblr account, follow along!

Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#33  Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:46 pm  Reply with quote + 
I'm not on Tumblr, but I've got this bookmarked... Holy shit. The "gay" Bomberman comics are hilarious. :hilarious: 
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#34  Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:37 pm  Reply with quote + 
I don't use Tumblr or most other modern social networking stuff for that matter, but good stuff as always. Quite funny! Good art as well.

Thanks for your good work and ongoing b-man passion.

BTW, That Revenge Bento article linked was also a fun read. lmao.
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#35  Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:53 pm  Reply with quote + 
Reposting from the edited initial comment -- The Bombermanga Tumblr is officially live! We'll (hopefully) be posting 4-koma scanslations once a day on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The index for those strips are here in case anyone doesn't have a Tumblr (although we don't update the index as we post the strips). Fanart translations go up whenever we feel like it, and the index for those is here.

Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#36  Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:33 pm  Reply with quote + 
So the Tumblr's been merrily chugging along! I've got posts queued up for at least the next few months. While the bulk of the work will be posted on Tumblr, I'll occasionally highlight my personal faves here.

Like this gem of a page:

HienFan
Bomberman

Post#37  Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:38 am  Reply with quote + 
Black Bomber: WHY CAN'T YOU TAKE ME WITH YOU? WAHAHAHA WHY DID YOU TAKE THIS STRANGER WITH YOU INSTEAD?
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#38  Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:13 pm  Reply with quote + 
It really makes you wonder...

legato
Bomberman

Post#39  Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:40 am  Reply with quote + 
Just wanted to say that I've been following the tumblr. I check it a few times a week for updates and they are hilarious! Thanks for scanlating these. :peace: 
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#40  Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:01 pm  Reply with quote + 
We're starting to approach the end of this volume! (And also the end of my current queue. Oops. Gotta get back on the scanslation ball.) Here's the current page which is another favorite of mine:

Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Entertainment Talk All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 2 of 3 Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2397s
Index - Back to Top