Bomberman 64 glitchy screenshots
[Replies: 38]  [Views: 17353]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Page: Previous  1, 2
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General

Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#21  Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:26 am  Reply with quote + 
Interesting.... I really need to get a GameShark to better experiment with these things.

Can you get any screenshots of that, though?
View user profile Send Private Message
Emperor Sirius
Bombertrainee

Post#22  Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:57 pm  Reply with quote + 
Just get an Emulator and a Rom. They have built in Gamesharks XD.

EDIT:

This is where you go in.

And this is where it freezes
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#23  Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:25 pm  Reply with quote + 
Hm? Oh, that place? That's supposed to be accessible in game.... when you hit the button in the second half of the stage that slows down the water, you can walk up there and get a Custom Part. (I think it's a Gold Card in Hard Mode, I don't remember)

Yeah, I know that emulators have where you can stick the codes in, but I prefer to own and use the actual consoles and games, if that makes any sense.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#24  Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:01 pm  Reply with quote + 
Ok, so I'm just going to post this here so the information is all gathered up in one place. It's about that unused mystery door in Bomberman 64.

So recently I've learned how to rip models from N64 games. Well, I eventually (today) figured that I might perhaps be able to solve the mystery of that unused doorway (and invisible path) by ripping the whole level model.

So here is the whole area as it appears in Blender:

Here are some close-ups of the door:

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/6216/ontherighttrackmysterym.png

And now, for the pants-shitter:

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/6216/ontherighttrackmysterym.png

Gaze into its gaping maw...

Seriously, that thing is creepy. It's way, way taller than it needs to be - it's at least as tall as four Bombermen; trust me, I grabbed some chunks of the Bomberman model and drug it over there just to see. Strangely, the invisible walkway doesn't intercept it at the bottom of the door, but rather, about 1 Bomberman's height up the door (so like 1/4 of the way up, so that the door still stands 3 Bombermens' height above the path).

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/1536/ontherighttrackmysteryh.png

[Caption - As stated, I only took chunks of Bomberman's model because I didn't want to bother with it - it's just a bunch of flat triangles that turn to face the camera in order to look like "perfect" spheres]

It's also inordinately skinny. Bomberman can just barely squeeze in there. And yet, it must have been a door - why else would there be a pathway leading to it? And Bomberman can walk into the opening just a little. Unless, perhaps, he was meant to kick a bomb or two into it, and then that would somehow interact with the rectangular thing with the grating on top that Sirius stands next to?

The whole thing just looks... wrong, you know? Like it's all stretched and squeezed and out of proportion. It definitely had some sort of special purpose. I suppose that the developers either came up with a different idea, or decided that having this objective in the stage would add too much extra time for the player to complete the stage in order to achieve the Gold Card and eventual Gold Armor goals in the game.

Unfortunately, there are no models within the grating-box or the island itsef. The following image is a bunch of screens from in-game, much better quality than my previous ones from 3 years ago. I also couldn't capture the invisible pathway itself (I guess it doesn't have a model at all).

http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/2251/ontherighttrackmysterys.png

Note that the lower right-hand corner image is from within the island, in-game. There's really nothing there.

So I didn't discover anything about the door's purpose, but these pics are neat, eh?
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#25  Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:09 pm  Reply with quote + 
plasm wrote:
it's just a bunch of flat triangles that turn to face the camera in order to look like "perfect" spheres

How weird, but then again, I guess it doesn't fully surprise me. They seemed to do the same thing in TSA, judging by some "side views" of Molok that I'm pretty sure I showed you.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#26  Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:20 pm  Reply with quote + 
I'm kind of surprised that you didn't notice before. Bomberman's body in Bman 64 is entirely comprised of 2D circle images, save for his face which is a bent rectangle. This sort of thing is also used in Mario 64, like with those big metal balls that roll around in the Bobomb stage, and the Bobombs themselves. Seems pretty common in older games.

They sort of use this trick in TSA, but it's really weird how they do it. Instead of flat surfaces, they have 8-faced diamonds. They're angled so that the camera always sees the corner of the diamond, so the edges of the flat circle image bend back away from the camera. I suppose it is affected differently by lighting? Anyway, it certainly does seem to look more like 3D than the flat "sphere" technique. Bomberman's antenna pom and hands are made with this technique in TSA.

EDIT: Oh hey I am a Bomberstar now. I guess I will go ahead and drift up into the heavens.
Don't wish on me if you see me falling; please just call the paramedics.
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#27  Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:02 am  Reply with quote + 
Go rip Stage 2 of Red Mountain, I really want to have a good look at that. :P

Also, what else can you do other than ripping models?

Edit
Hmm... I wonder if you could have a look inside TSA. If I recall correctly, there was supposed to be some kind of secret inside the Warship Noah in order to get the Complete thing for it. I was just wondering if I could send you on a wild goose chase to find out what that was :P
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#28  Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:01 pm  Reply with quote + 
Well, alongside ripping models, the textures are also dumped. So there's that. I haven't tried ripping sounds or anything, but I think that Bomberman 64 has a sound test so anybody could record those pretty easily. Not sure what else there is to do to scavenge through the resources of an N64 game; I'm not good with formulating cheat codes on the N64, that's for sure. It's so much easier with SNES games.

By Stage 2, I'm assuming you mean "On The Right Track", and not "VS Orion"? Because the mysterious doorway is actually from "On The Right Track"; I haven't ripped the other areas in that stage though. I did rip the stage "VS Orion", though. Interestingly, there is a fourth wall (behind the camera), even though you can't change the perspective as it's a boss stage, and the camera never angles in that direction. I also ripped the stage "Hot Avenger". Here's something funny - Orion is actually a flat texture inside Hades's chest, as you may or may not have noticed before... But to his left and right, there are little computer screens depicting Bomberman, as if for targeting/gathering info on him during battle.

I could check out Noah, but I'll have to see if I can grab a savestate or something.

I'll probably continue this all in another topic if I get anywhere with it. Maybe submit some stuff to the Models Resource.
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#29  Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:36 pm  Reply with quote + 
plasm wrote:
By Stage 2, I'm assuming you mean "On The Right Track", and not "VS Orion"? Because the mysterious doorway is actually from "On The Right Track"; I haven't ripped the other areas in that stage though. I did rip the stage "VS Orion", though. Interestingly, there is a fourth wall (behind the camera), even though you can't change the perspective as it's a boss stage, and the camera never angles in that direction.

I meant the VS Orion, yeah. And actually, I was aware of that wall behind the camera, because it is possible to get the camera to show that. When Bomberman wins, the camera moves towards him and if he's facing a certain direction, the camera could view that. That's the main reason why I wanted a screenshot as I wanted to see what the whole place really looked like.

plasm wrote:
I also ripped the stage "Hot Avenger". Here's something funny - Orion is actually a flat texture inside Hades's chest, as you may or may not have noticed before... But to his left and right, there are little computer screens depicting Bomberman, as if for targeting/gathering info on him during battle.

I also noticed Orion being a flat texture though I didn't notice the computer screen things. Hell, I don't even know why they bothered to put those because that is REALLY hard to notice, let alone actually see the details well enough to realize what it is.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#30  Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:32 am  Reply with quote + 
plasm wrote:
EDIT: Oh hey I am a Bomberstar now. I guess I will go ahead and drift up into the heavens.

lmao! Yeah I just noticed that myself.
It's just you and me buddy! I was getting lonely up here.
Congrats by the way.
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#31  Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:34 am  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
plasm wrote:

Congrats by the way.

If chat messages counted, I would be above all of you. I would be BomberGod.
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#32  Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:55 am  Reply with quote + 
lol, yeah I never got too into the chat. You practically live there though. hehe.
I'll pop in for a bit here and there but most of the time I don't have anything worthwhile to add to the discussions you guys have in there.
Even with how little I go in there I'm still in the top 15 lol. Not that it means much when there's only 20-30 active members (including the on/off-ers)
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#33  Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:50 pm  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
plasm wrote:

Congrats by the way.

Hahah, yeah I guess you're right! How did we get so many posts, anyway?

And thanks.
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#34  Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:12 pm  Reply with quote + 
This is my second or third most active forum, thing is, the posts that have happened here happened within a period of 1 or 2 years, instead of something like 8. (then again, if we had old board post count, i think I'd be at 1000)

Thing is, this place lacks the activity for me to feel like I have things to reply to all that often, even though I check back pretty frequently.
KakaoMinze
Bomberdude

Post#35  Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:28 pm  Reply with quote + 
I must say that those glitchy things are the reason why I freak out so much XD But on the other hand things like that can also show up things we never were seeing before. Neighter I knew that there was a invisible path that leads to an entrance/exit in Orion's Red Mountain area. Damn I don't have an original copy of this game anymore for the N64 but I try to get it so I can search for this place myself. It made me think that there are many things that were cancelled inside the game but still are left overs inside it somewhere. Now I also wonder if there are some mystery things in TSA and Hero? Everything could be possible.
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#36  Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:51 pm  Reply with quote + 
Saphiria wrote:
I must say that those glitchy things are the reason why I freak out so much XD But on the other hand things like that can also show up things we never were seeing before. Neighter I knew that there was a invisible path that leads to an entrance/exit in Orion's Red Mountain area. Damn I don't have an original copy of this game anymore for the N64 but I try to get it so I can search for this place myself. It made me think that there are many things that were cancelled inside the game but still are left overs inside it somewhere. Now I also wonder if there are some mystery things in TSA and Hero? Everything could be possible.

Seems like now you understand why I wanted plasm to look around at the models to find that Warship Noah secret. :P
KakaoMinze
Bomberdude

Post#37  Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:54 pm  Reply with quote + 
DarkFire4114 wrote:
Saphiria wrote:

Seems like now you understand why I wanted plasm to look around at the models to find that Warship Noah secret. :P

Yes, now I do understand it just perfectly :P I just hope he can find anything interesting about it.
ReasonBound
Bomberbie

Post#38  Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:48 pm  Reply with quote + 
Have any of you figured out the true secret of the invisible bridge yet? We’ve been waiting.
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#39  Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:29 pm  Reply with quote + 
ReasonBound wrote:
Have any of you figured out the true secret of the invisible bridge yet? We’ve been waiting.

Who is this we? And how much are you willing to pay me?
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 2 of 2 Page: Previous  1, 2

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2091s
Index - Back to Top