BombermanBoard Forum Index BombermanBoard
Bomberman Community

Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General
Viewing Single Post
From Topic: System Discussion 3: Nintendo DS, Good, Bad, or Ugly?
Bonk
Bomberdude

Post#6  Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:53 pm  Reply with quote + 
I'm not a fan of the DS, it was given to me as a gift and I only really used it to play GBA games or kill time at school last year (now I have open periods so I just go home). I don't find the touchscreen to be particularly gimmicky since it's actually integrated into gameplay pretty well for most games, but I don't think it's very innovative either. Some of the games I've played on it:

Animal Crossing - Quite possibly the most well-crafted waste of time ever, I'm not a fan of these life simulation games as I have a life of my own that is pretty interesting and shit to do, forgive me if I don't want to wander around the smallest town ever picking up shells, digging holes and talking to hippos and gorillas for t-shirts and chairs to sell at the kwik-e-mart.

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow - Worse than Aria of Sorrow. The touchscreen is a hindrance in this game, on some of the later bosses you'll miss the opportunity to seal them and you'll have to kill them over and over. The soundtrack is gay.

Mario Kart DS - Even worse than Double Dash. The stages are extremely boring, the controls are shit, the new items are either useless or a pain in the ass, the single player is too damn easy, the graphics are butt ugly, playing online sucks since once someone loses the first round they disconnect, and the only way to win is to fishtail which only the lightweights are capable of.

Meteos - Pretty fun, I don't like how small the pieces are (makes it extremely difficult to get combos). I like the interactive soundtrack. My data got wiped (it'd help if it said when it was loading so you can know when to turn the power off) so I haven't played it in months.

Metroid Prime: Hunters - The only thing this game has going for it is it's a metroid. All the uninspired generic shooting action of the GCN games with a crappy multiplayer mode, and without the awesome soundtrack.

Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits - They removed the best mode from the english release, *beep* namco. Other than that it's exactly the same as the Dreamcast/PC/GBC/PSX release.

New Super Mario Bros. - The worst 2D mario game, savew perhaps Siper Mario Land 1. Like SMB3 but the stages are short, linear, and not very fun, and instead of flying you get a useless shell that will more often kill you than be of any use. It's was pretty funny that they recycled the same shitty minigames from SM64DS, lazy bastards.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney - I sincerely doubt any fans of this game will ever get laid without a fursuit.

Super Mario 64 DS - Not nearly as fun as the N64 one, mostly because I already knew where all the stars are. Controlling with the stylus is damn near impossible with such a small touchscreen, and the buttons don't have the articulation that the N64 control stick did. Luigi and Wario were totally useless, they should have kept it at Mario and Yoshi. The extra stages and stars were thrown in with little thought, if you've played the N64 one there's absolutely no reason to pick this up.

Super Monkey Ball: Touch & Roll - There's all the best stages from the GCN games, made impossible by the button control scheme. They compensated by giving you millions of extra lives (you get the from random bananas, as many as 5-6 in a stage), but all the extra lives in the world won't help you get past the hardest levels.

Super Princess Peach - It's funny how Mario and friends can get away with starring in tired old bullshit and still sell well and get good reviews, whereas the most inspired platformers of the past few years recieve lukewarm reviews (8/10 is lukewarm when your magazine/website gives 10's to three games a month) and sell absolutely nothing. This game is so pathetically overdone I almost fell asleep playing it, which is nothing as it's so easy I don't think I died once in the entire time I played it.

Tetris DS - I'm so utterly indifferent towards this game I almost forgot I own it. None of the new modes are particularly interesting, there's really no reason to own it unless you never played the original (in which case you might as well get a NES/GB emu and play that instead).

Wario Ware: Touched - All of these minigames are pretty boring except for ninja scribble which should have been expanded on.

Zoo Keeper - The best game on DS, period. No complaints whatsoever.

Overall I think the DS is one of the biggest wastes of hardware ever, the touchscreen could have been good if executed correctly (none of the games I played really did this). If not for Zoo Keeper I'd trade it in for a PSP (this coming march of course, as there isn't anything worth playing on the PSP yet).
View user profile Send Private Message
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.0837s
Index - Back to Top