Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General
Viewing Single Post
From Topic: A List Gallery of other Unpopular Franchises in the States
Bonk
Bomberdude

Post#10  Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:44 am  Reply with quote + 
If this was a normal (see pretentious) forum where every post has to be an essay and you run the risk of starting a flamewar with each action I would say "In before some fruitcake mentions Ico/Shadow of the Colossus/some other mainstream game that gets shoved down our throats by indie gaming *beep*s every day yet they still seem to think it's underappreciated" but I think we have better taste than that here hm?

The top 10 list of underrated games by me

10. Ratchet & Clank: These games got excellent reviews and sold enough to make GH, but that still doesn't do this series justice. The first one got 8/10 reviews which is a disgrace: I wrote a letter to each gaming review publication at fault demanding they commit ritual seppuku.

9. Lords of Thunder: My favorite sidescrolling shooter (hell, my favorite shooter period) and it's on the SEGA CD for god's sake, could you possibly do anything more to doom your game to obscurity? Don't let some treasure fanboy trick you into thinking it isn't the greatest thing to happen to shoters since space invaders. It's made by hudson so that should further entice all of you bomberman fanboys. Only reason this isn't that high in the list is because ALOT of people have heard of it (but only because of its gulty gearesque rockin' soundtrack).

8. Psychonauts: this game sold horribly despite being sold on multiple platforms. I picked it up thinking it would be a mediocre platoformer, to my delight it turned out to be excellent. It's very simple, like Super Mario 64, with weaker level design (Blackvelvetopia is a throwaway stage, I don't want that in my PS2) and buckets of personality. I didn't know who Tim Schafer was (I haven't played DotT since 1997) but when I found out I thought "No wonder this game is so awesome, that dude who made Day of the Tentacle thought of it". I await the sequel.

7. Beyond Good & Evil: This one was advertised pretty heavily and got some really good reviews, yet somehow didn't do to well. It's a 9ish game but you can tell there was supposed to be a sequel by the cliffhanger ending (and because I've seen a few sequels in my day). The sequel would have been excellent, too bad it will never hapen. And if anyone gets the joke in the parenthesis I'll give you an internet.

6. Bio-Hazard Battle: An excellent side scrolling shooter from sega. I downloaded it from an emulation site and when I looked at the screenshots, I thought WTF this looks like crap, but I was suprised once again to find it was an excellent little gem with a genius soundtrack. I think it's caled Crying in moonland.

5. Rising Zan: Samurai Gunman: (shakes fist) kids these days seem to think that Devil May Cry was the game to reinvent the action genre...sort of like they seem to think that JSR was the first game to use cel-shading. This game has everything a perfect video game should have. It's so manly it makes babies grow beards. The sad thing is this game only cost me $3 and I got it with lunch money. I demanded to pay more for this masterpiece once I played it: I stormed back into my local evil corporate gaming store and promptly threw down a thick stack of 100 dollar bills onto the counter.

4. The Guardian Legend: I got it somewhat recently at a local store that inexpicably sells NES games. It's kind of like zelda combined with a traditional vertical shooter. The flying stages are extremely hard. Since you can easily download it and play it on your PC I don't think it's necessary to go into too much detail.

3. MUSHA: My favorite Genesis shooter. I can't realy say much about it other than go play it now. This game features awesome flying robots.

2. Kickle Cubicle: I grew up with this game so I may be a little biased (in the sense that Playstation magazine might be biased), but I have to say this is is one of the most unduly ignored games in all of history. It's unlike anything else, so I can't really give it a genre. It reminds me of a combination of tetris, zelda, and bubble bobble. I have never seen an online fanbase for this game and I think I might be the only fan in za warudo. Be warned this game suffers from Mr. Driller syndrome.

1. And the most underrated game of al time is...(Spoiler, highlight to read)

Final Fantasy VII. Surely you haven't heard of this game and its name means nothing to you, but to those of us in the upper echelons of gaming cuture with knowledge of the utmost obscure of videogaming history, the name will bring a tear to our eye, nostalgia to our hearts and make us weak in the knees. This is the story of a masculine and totally not gay well-designed hero named Squloudaneitus, and his fight against his retarded half-brother Kujeymoureiferoth. Who can forget the totally not obvious plot twist of the death of the beautiful and totally not stereotypically generic love interest Yunaerinoarnet? Who could hold their bladder after hearing the epic and totally not generic john williams duel of the fates bullshit final battle music? Who could help but laugh triumphantly "HA! I HAVE SLAIN THEE VILE FIEND" when Tidanelouduall made his triumphant victory over Sefujaifermour with a final blow of the awesome Omnislash? Who could supress a squeal like a pig being slaughtered with a baseball bat after the massive earth shattering plot twist revealed half way through the game, no epic historical electronic literature? Not I, good sir, surely not I. I have given you the gift of knowledge, now drink of its sweet nectar my sons. Go forth and play this hidden gem and add yourself to the ranks of the gaming elite.

Suggestion to admin: we need spoiler tags.

Honorable mention: Monster Party. Yes its the butt of alot of jokes on many independent game sites but what they forgot to say is that this is actually a good game, and the added hilarity of its bosses makes this sort of like the Psychonauts of the NES. Almost.

Another game I think is pretty good but unheard of is the NES shooter Over Horizon but I haven't gotten very far in it so I think it's a little premature to judge.

Already been mentioned is the Valis series, adding my 2 internets to the big purple top hat of valis lovin'.

I've been meaning to play the Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre series since I loved FFT but you know, serious business, grave matters of pressing importance these internets are.
Phantom Kensai wrote:
I think the real reason Super Robot Wars hasn't gotten released here yet is because of licensing costs. Just how many different franchises does it draw its robots from...
Wouldn't be more likely that it's because it's a fanservice game for a bunch of animes that for the most part never made it stateside?

Last edited by Bonk on Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:11 am
View user profile Send Private Message
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.0941s
Index - Back to Top