Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General
Viewing Single Post
From Topic: System Discussion #2: Playstation 2
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#2  Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:42 am  Reply with quote + 
Thats quite a post to compete with there Kuttlas but I'll take my crack at it by discussing my experiences and all the games in my collection...

-Beware my typos- I don't feel like going over this post....

I only got my PS2 abotu a year ago. So I definately got it very late. My first 2 games were Megaman X 8 and La Pucelle Tactics.

I am yet to have problems with the hardware. I bought my system used and it runs great. I never have had trouble with loading the discs up or anything. Perhaps I was lucky and the owner before me took good care of it or maybe I'm just blessed with a great machine, who knows?

I'm not too familier with the system's launch so I have no comment on that...

I'm primarily a supporter of Nintendo so I really have no opinions or cares about the PS2's business philosophy...

Anyway, my opinion on the games I've played. I'll try to do it by the order I got the games in from memory.

Megaman X 8 - I've always liked Megaman and thus I don't stop buying them. This one was pretty interesting but I did not play it as much as I had hoped. I guess I'm not as hardcore as I used to be because I find Megaman games to be incredibly difficult to beat nowadays. My favorites will still be the older ones.

La Pucelle Tactics - This little game by Nippon Icchi is among my all time favorites. It's a tactical turn based anime-style RPG of the likes of Final Fantasy Tactics. I loved its characters and its soundtrack and just everything about it. I'd say this game is still my personal favorite on the PS2, even with all the other games I've gotten after this one.

Guilty Gear X - I saw this little fighter at Gamestop for a mere 8 bucks so I said "why not?" and picked it up. So worth it.... This game is probably my most played 2 player game on the PS2. It's a fighter but not so run of the mill as most fighters are. The cast of characters is among the strangest ever seen from a freakishly tall dr. with a giant scalpel and a paper bag over his head to a chick in a straight jacket that fights you with her hair, to a little pirate girl that swings an anchor around right down to a man with white hair covering his face with a blue eye painted over it, that fights you with a pool que and pool balls. The VS mode is really intense and its got the coolest songs I've heard in a fighter. Great game and really cheap now.

My brother has Devil May Cry 1 and 3 but i have not played them really. It's not my type of game. So I have no real opinion of it.

He also has Metal Gear Solid 2, 3 and 3 subsistance. I have not played much of those either but they are really fun to watch. I watched my borther play through the bulk of them. I think if I had the patience to play through them I'd probably like Solid 3 more so then 2.

He also has Megaman X collection. No real explanation necassary there. Its all the oldschool 2D X games in a single package. There is no room for failure.

Other games my brother owns that i havent played...
Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (I have some interest to play this at some point.)
Viewtiful Joe (No interest)

Zone of the Enders
A mech battling game. I really liked it alot. It only took me about 6 hours to beat but I did get stuck for awhile in the middle of the game. I really enjoyed it for the most part. Weird but cool soundtrack and the game handles pretty well. The characters weren't too bad but could've been better. My favorite was Viola. Anyway It was good enough for me to still try the sequel, which is probably better.

Capcom Classics Collection - I bought this mainly because of my Capcom fandom... Most of these games I either have already or they just weren't that good... The highlights of the game were reminecing with street Fighter 2 and the challenging 1943 Kai. Final Fight is also an honorable mention. Most of the rest of these games are mediocre or I have them already on my Genesis or something...

Soul Calibur III - I absolutely love soul Calibur III's customization and character creation. It was definately what kept this game interesting since I'm not very partial to 3D fighters. Saving up money and earning new clothes and accessories for your custom characters was alot of fun. Plus getting to fight your friends' custom characters is always enjoyable. Without thiat this would've just been another #d fighter I wouldn't of bothered getting.

Guilty Gear Isuka - The latest Guilty gear on the PS2. It takes an interest5ing twist with a new 4 player VS mode but the game is quite strange. Just turning your character around is set to a button and you can jump between 2 planes. very weird. Among the people I know you either loved it or you hated it. Even among the guilty gear fans. Some of my firends that love guilty gear x aboslutely hated the new play style. I actually liked it quite a bit and of course the new hcaracters andm usic were quite good. good stuff but very strange. It's alittle bit like the old Saturn game Guardian Heroes.

Megaman X 7 - I had all the others ones so I grabbed htis one too. This one is terribly hard and the 3D portions of the game make it most aggrovating and unenjoyable to play. One of the worst X games but it still was alittle fun for me. Of course I didn't get very far in it at all....

Tales of Legendia - This game was one of my gleaming hopes for the PS2. I was expecting it to be everything Tales of Symphonia was and beyond but I was quite disapointed by minor things. The characters were slightly less cool the multiplayer was gone. little things that I just couldn't look around. I played about 15-20 hours of it and I stopped. I think its a really great game but my hopes for it were just too high and it makes it seem alot more disappointing then it really is. Theres still some great fun to be had with this game and I intend to finish it someday.

YS VI: The Ark of Napishtim - I have yet to play this game but it looks really awesome since I absolutely loved YS III on Genesis and SNES. The music is really nice and the gameplay looksl ike alot of fun. I will probably play it soon.

DDRMAX: Dance Dance Revolution - I never showed a significant interest in this series but I finally broke down and tried it at my cousin's house and I was strangely addicted to it. Its music is mostly really good and its great excercise. Fun game.

So all in all I've gotten alot of fun out of the PS2 its not so strong as gamecube in the multiplayer department but there's many stronger sinlge player games on it. Its laso got alot more anime style games. I haven't played it anywhere near as much as gamecube though. This system will also get a 3 rating from me. It not played as much as gamecube but some of the games were much more interesting. I just don't feel there are as many great games on this system as PS2 but that may only be because of the large amount of time I've had the gamecube more then this.

Anyway yes. Those are my thoughts. *phew*

View user profile Send Private Message
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1666s
Index - Back to Top