Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General
Viewing Single Post
From Topic: Bomberman Jetterz - A Look Back
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#11  Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:34 am  Reply with quote + 
I also agree Bomberman Jetters will most likely never be released here in America. There's no audience for it here. it's best chance would've been if the game did very well which it didn't.

Well.... there were a few things i wanted to comment on.

And Sora this isn't an attack directed at you or anything. I wanted to make that clear to you.

I just feel like bringing this to the table and maybe discussing it in general since the current state of the anime industry is saddening me and I need to vent a little i guess...

Sora G. Silverwind wrote:
I want to feel like I'm paying for something that I couldn't ordinarily get. In both Gintama's case and BMJ's case, I'd want a dub even if only so 1) I could feel like I was paying for something and 2) I could make up a drinking game based on how bad the dubs are, if that's the case.

I don't understand all this dissatisfaction for anime titles that are released sub-only. The anime industry is really hurting right now and the companies can save money by not producing dubs. There have been good dubs for some shows over the years I really enjoyed. The dubs for Hare + Guu and Azumanga Daioh, and alot of ADVs old OVAs are great and I'm currently enjoying You're Under Arrest! dubbed. Along with other titles I've liked but a lot of the time I think dubs are terrible. It all depends on the actors and dubbing studios and the nature of the show as well but i digress.

But a lot of people claim they won't buy shows if they aren't dubbed and it doesn't help the issue. All the people complaining about pricing and wanting collections instead of volumes grate me too sometimes. I really don't think the anime industry as we know it is gonna last much longer. In a few more years it'll probably be well on its way to regressing to the way it was in the 90s. Very few licenses/releases and more expensive prices.

I watch/watched a number of titles as they aired/ are airing in Japan and I always make a noble effort to buy shows that make it stateside regardless of whether a dub is included or not. I don't see it as paying for something that is normally available for free cause you weren't really supposed to have it in the first place. So many people watch tons of fansubs and don't contribute a dime to the industry and it's sad. I'm part of the group that enjoys the fansubs but I try to do my part to help the industry too. I see watching fansubs as a way to watch shows that'll never make it stateside or to plan in advance things I will buy if they do make it here.

An example is I'm happily waiting for my Toradora! dvds from NISA right now. I watched the fansub for that series a while back and it was so awesome.

Also, I do sympathize that it's a bummer the Japanese extras are not included.
And I could see a lot of fun to be had with drinking games to terrible dubs. hehe.

---------------------------------------------------

Also on the subject of rewriting scripts there have been plenty of cases where it did well in America. I can't think of any examples I'm personally very familiar with but I've heard Nerima Daikon Brothers and Ghost Stories were both pretty much rewritten and turned out fairly popular and supposedly hilarious whereas the original scripts were too much of a culture difference for people to appreciate or they just weren't funny.

Then other times where they just localize jokes but keep the general plot the same as before works well too. In Azumanga Daioh's dub I loved now they gave Osaka the southern accent to represent the osakan accent of the subbed version. It worked very well.

Anyway yeah I really built that post. I haven't had a massive one like that in awhile.... I'm kinda worn out.

Oh! But speaking of anime licenses, there has been some good stuff announced at Anime Expo so far. K-On!, Sora No Woto, among others. Many of which I haven't seen yet but I've been meaning to check out for awhile now, so I'm pretty pleased about them. If anyone's up for discussion about it maybe I'll make a topic. I know a lot of you guys aren't as crazy about anime as I can be so....

View user profile Send Private Message
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.0860s
Index - Back to Top