BombermanBoard Forum Index BombermanBoard
Bomberman Community

Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General
Viewing Single Post
From Topic: What games are you playing/looking forward to?
BlueBomberman
Board Moderator

Post#92  Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:24 pm  Reply with quote + 
Soniti 254 wrote:
Sorry, but I highly disagree with this. In my eyes, 3D projection on a console is not a improvement to gameplay; it's a gimmick. Nothing more, nothing less.

Also, I'm actually one of the few gamers who'd be more then happy to see more new games for old consoles, so I don't believe "new features to enhance gaming" are a big issue for me. It's when companies begin to rely on gimmicks to sell themselves is when I start to have a problem. .

So tell me, what exactly would you consider a "gimmick" and what would you consider an "improvement" to gameplay? The definition between the two differs greatly between the entire gamer community; so great and so loosely used that it isn't even taken them seriously anymore.

Soniti 254 wrote:
I didn't say anything like that in my post. I don't care if companies try to add new things to games, but when they start adding silly unneeded stuff like 3D projection and motion sensor into every kind of game imaginable, that's when I draw the line. I fail to see how something like that could provide entertainment. Motion sensor being built into any kind of game isn't fun or innovative, it's flat out annoying and usually thrown in just to take advantage of the console's main gimmick, even if it has no place in that kind of game (like say puzzle games or RPGs or beat 'em up games to name a few). The 3D thing would probably give me a headache after a while too, don't sound like a whole lot of fun to me.

This whole paragraph is completely opinionated. Just because you don't like them doesn't automatically make it bad for everyone else. You also have to remember that the range of consumers has expanded, it's not just hardcore gamers anymore they have appease to.

Again, what exactly would you consider a "gimmick" and what would you consider an "improvement" to gameplay? The two terms get slapped around so much it not even clear anymore.

BTW, If the 3DS's 3D projection isn't your cup of tea, you can simply turn it down/off. The PSX being 3D and revolving around new concepts didn't stop it from making it a great system; I doubt a similar approach would anywhere near as bad as you claim if even at all. They push graphics everytime a new gen console is made/announced, this isn't even anything new. It's basically the Blu-Ray/HDD argument all over again.

Soniti 254 wrote:
It's exactly because they don't put the effort into making "good fun games" that I'm complaining. Most game companies don't put any effort into games anymore, it's why you see so many generic 1st person shooter games or third person shooter games with no depth. It's what sells. They could careless about whether it's good or if it's a bombshell. They just want to see the money come in. It's also why certain franchises have been pretty much reduced to cash cows.

The Wii hardly ever produces any games that I would deem "good" or "fun" either. Sorry if I'm not into the games that it's so simple your grandma could play it, but that's at least what 80% of that console's library consists of. Of the 3-4 years I've had the thing, I only played about 10 games for it and I only plan on getting one or two more. I mostly use it to play Gamecube games these days.

Maybe I am just being picky, naive, and whiny; but you know what, that's still no excuse to rely on gimmicks rather then putting the effort into making good fun games.

You ignored my whole point, if they do in fact put all their effort into making 'good fun games', there will be just as many people complaining about it being a 'rehash' as they would if they built around on a gimmick. In this day and age, it is extremely difficult to accomplish that because people are so goddamn picky and critical about the final product.

They don't put effort into the games? Do you even know a thing about programming? Or about deadlines? Or about Executive Meddling? Or ultimately making a product aimed at some of the most unpleasable consumer base out there? While I don't know what truly goes on inside the developer's studios nor do I intend to defend their products, I highly doubt they're just lolly-gagging around their desktops for Lulz and money.

Really, it seems that your whole complaints boil down to a 'Causal vs Hardcore' gamers debate. Catering to the more casual is better market for them not only because there's a lot more of them, but because they won't make a 6 page essay about how their game sucks, simply because they didn't make it his way, every time they release a new game.

Me? I couldn't care less; if I think a game is good, I'll buy it. Otherwise I won't bother or I'll just flash cart it.

Dark Zaphe wrote:
So the 3DS. Sure, it looks cool. Sure, it could make for some interesting and fun games, if used well. But does every new portable Nintendo game need this technology? No. That's when it becomes a gimmick.

I didn't realize all of the 3DS games required the use of the 3D-effect features in order to not be gimmicky. I guess the PS3 Blu-ray and the 360's HDD drives and graphics are also gimmicks since not every one of their games needed that technology. Thanks for informing me!

See this is exactly what I meant about the term 'gimmick' being thrown so loosely around.
View user profile Send Private Message
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1312s
Index - Back to Top