Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General
Viewing Single Post
From Topic: The Fan/Indie/Doujin Games Topic
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#2  Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:34 pm  Reply with quote + 
That game looks pretty awesome. Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep that under my watch from now on. :peace: 

I'll just give a list of some of my favorite indie games, in no particular order:

Cave Story: You've probably heard of this already, because it's a few years old. It's a shooting platformer with various different weapons, a lot of enemies and huge bosses, great graphics, sounds and music... It's great.

Spelunky: A unique platformer in which you control an adventurer on a journey underground in search of treasure and dames. You've got a whip, and limited bombs and ropes, amongst other various weapons and equipment that can be found or bought. What makes this game unique is that it is a roguelike platformer - the levels are randomly generated, and once you die, it's all over. Fortunately you can purchase shortcuts to three of the four areas. Oh yeah, the source code is going to be released sometime soon, if you've got any background in Game Maker or if you want to learn some (that is, if it's commented).

Lyle in Cube Sector: A retro-style platformer (again? these are all platformers...), where the action centers around the grabbing and chucking of various types of cubes. The music is very ambient, the kind of thing that you might end up listening to on a loop while you go about doing other things (all the music is externally loaded).

Little Fighter 2: I've talked about this one enough. It's a fighting game, kind of like Double Dragon. Also, everything is editable, if you're willing to take the time.

Also, a good indie developer to look at is Matt Thorson. In particular, try "An Untitled Story", "Jumper Three", and "MoneySeize". Be warned - the latter two games I mentioned are for hardcore platformer-gamers only, or at least people with a lot of patience for that sort of thing... like me.

As for works in progress, Serkol and I have been keeping tabs on Another Metroid 2 Remake, which is a project to recreate Metroid 2 (an old Gameboy game) in the Super Metroid style. There is an engine demo currently up. The guy has really pulled it off, I'd say. It might interest you to know that it's being built in Game Maker.

I'm sure there's more but I can't think of them at the time. I might make another post later if I can dig up anything else I forgot.

(Oh yeah... I'm kind of surprised that I'm the only one to reply to that guy who posted his indie Bomberman game on the board. It's definately one of the better clones I've seen, and I've seen a lot of bad or generally lackluster clones.)
View user profile Send Private Message
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.0926s
Index - Back to Top