Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General
Viewing Single Post
From Topic: Inafune - "Japan gaming industry is finished."
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#1  Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:45 pm  Reply with quote + 
According to the creator of Mega Man, the Japan gaming industry is "finished." How do you feel regarding his words?

Personally, I feel that the man's heavily exaggerating. While it may have seen better days, I definitely wouldn't say it's "finished" by any means necessary. However, Inafune may be on to something here...

Think about it for a second. Obviously, Japan isn't the "top dog" of the gaming industry anymore, as gaming has grown in popularity over time and there are more Western game developers now then there were 10-15 years ago. Maybe Inafune is realizing that what used to work 10-15 years ago, back when the industry was still young, just doesn't work anymore. I think the Japanese companies need to step up the game a bit here and start to make new and inventive things again, rather then continuing to make spinoffs of franchises every couple of years, true sequels of said franchises that take 5-7 years usually to release, and the occasional brand new title that actually looks promising coming around. By no means am I insisting that spinoffs/sequels are bad, but when that's all you're really looking forward to regarding games now, there's definitely something wrong here.

The Japan gaming industry, in my opinion, is far from finished. Some of the most popular gaming franchises are, in fact, from Japan. However, I think Japan needs to start getting new and creative again and start making more new stuff while still working on the stuff we've grown to love and appreciate over the years.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
View user profile Send Private Message
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.0805s
Index - Back to Top