BombermanBoard Forum Index BombermanBoard
Bomberman Community

Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
Unused Super Bomberman 3 Sprites
[Replies: 24]  [Views: 29462]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Page: 1, 2  Next
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Emulation & Mods -> Bomberman Emulation

Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#1  Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:08 pm  Reply with quote + 
Umm... not sure where else to put this, but it deals with the SB3 rom, so...

I was looking around through the compressed sprites of Super Bomberman 3 (haha, as if any of them AREN'T compressed) using VSnes and found this:

If you didn't notice the unused sprites I was talking about, look again, and look until you find them because it should be very obvious to anyone who has ever played the game.

3 frames (there would be 4 total in the animation, as the angled one would get flipped) of Bomberman, with the same movement as if he were hit on the head by a bomb ("dancing"), but... with big heart-shapes over his eyes. O_o I am 100% sure this never occurs in the game. Correct me if I'm wrong; if not, then I wonder what they were for. Anyway, just thought it was interesting.
View user profile Send Private Message
herrDoktorat
Bomberman

Post#2  Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:43 pm  Reply with quote + 
I hope I'm not late!
Nice find! I wish I knew how to do this, I tried but couldn't get away from the scrambled colors and all. What program do you use?
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#3  Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:33 pm  Reply with quote + 
Yeah I don't really know how to hack into the graphics either, I can't figure out SNES decompression and it's one of those subjects that, when you look it up, you just find discussions of people who know not necessarily giving very much detail to people who don't). But, no matter, all you really have to do to see the graphics is to download VSnes, play the game in Snes9x or ZSnes up to the point where the sprites you want appear, save state, and open that state in VSnes. There, you can open the Scene Viewer and Memory Viewer windows. In Memory Viewer is where you actually see the sprite "sheets", everything is a little jumbled because, as you may know, there are top halves and bottom halves and stuff for the characters and some sprite frames are simply flipped during gameplay. You'll have to check the WRAM or ROM radio buttons on the Memory Viewer to see the real sprites. Then you've got to have the right palette, so using Scene Viewer, select the top tab "layers", the second-to-top tab "sprites", and mouse over what you want (for example, player one as Bomber the Kid); the PalViewer window will automatically switch to that sprite's palette (they are arranged in rows), take note of which one it is and if you accidentally mouse over a different sprite you can just select the right palette in PalViewer. With the right colors, you should see the sprites as they're supposed to be.

But if you think this is interesting... check this out, that I found today!:

Unused Neo Bomberman sprites! The colors are, I'm sure, all off, but since these sprites never appear in-game I had no palettes to work with. Ripped with WinKawaks. Firstly you can see traditional Bomberman mug shots, normal, winning, and defeated. These were replaced with tiny heads at the top of the screen and, on the score board, just big heads that never animated. But take note of the characters... Shiro is there, but also Pretty Bomber (I just chose the palette that made her shading look right), who only appeared in cutscenes in the final game, two alternate versions of Cat Bomber (guess they hadn't decided yet), Fake Bomber, an old design of Hayate Bomber (I personally find this one very interesting, his face was going to be that of a normal Bomberman!), an unnamed Bomberman wearing what appears to be Chaos Bomber's armor (from Bomberman Quest), Rubber Bomber, Atomic Bomber, another unknown Bomber who appears to be Hero Bomber (though I could be wrong, I don't have the actual palette), and an alternate design of Atomic Bomber (with white eyes).

Underneath these are some totally random sprites of what I can only guess is a monkey with a hat and a drum (it also has a smile on its face if you check with different palettes), and the Battle Mode final victory image of Atomic Bomber's alternate design... what is up with the protrusion from his forehead? O_o

Now that I think about it, there may have been an unused ridable monster somewhere near the beginning of the tiles. But yeah, these are all very interesting to me. Why'd they nix those two extra Bombers and just put in Honey and Kotetsu instead? And remove Pretty Bomber (I'm guessing that is why we see Honey using Pretty Bomber's floating bomb, she must've been the replacement), and seriously, what is up with Chaos Bomber's emblem appearing on that unused guy?
herrDoktorat
Bomberman

Post#4  Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:53 pm  Reply with quote + 
WHEN I'M DONE SQUEALING I'LL TALK TO YOU!

[EDIT]: Ahem. Does pretty Bomber have any other sprites? I'd love to see body sprites for her in this game, and it pisses me off she isn't playable. Y'know, perhaps we could even work to include Pretty in the game if we had base sprites to work with. Just wild dreams, haha!

Again, nice, nice find, and I'm totally squealing about this and about Bomberman Wars manual in Ragey's page. Would it also be possible to make a comprehensive sprite sheet of those unused sprites? I have tons here on my PC, some ripped my myself (SBM3 pink Pretty Bomber and SBM5 Honey and Kotetsu in the password screen), some by Ragey and some by a The Spriters Resource guy.

Also, the thing in his forehead is the "antenna" all Bombermen have, but I guess Bagular put it in the wrong side, hahaah.

Quote:
Yeah I don't really know how to hack into the graphics either, I can't figure out SNES decompression and it's one of those subjects that, when you look it up, you just find discussions of people who know not necessarily giving very much detail to people who don't.

THISTHISTHIS. EVERY tutorial I look is like "this should be obvious", but it really isn't.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#5  Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:35 am  Reply with quote + 
Unfortunately no, Pretty Bomber and the other unused characters have no sprites that I could tell. Heck, I could make them for you if you wanted me to, I was ripping Shiro's sprites and that would make a good base. If you actually wanted to hack her into the game (most likely in Honey's place), I'd have to rip from the tiles because each character's sprites are split up into heads and bodies, like in A Link to the Past. I don't know the first thing about hacking anything though, especially in arcade games like this one.

By comprehensive sprite sheet, do you mean unused sprites from all the games? Also, when you say Honey and Kotetsu in the password screen of SB5 and pink Pretty Bomber in SB3, are you saying that there are alternate versions of them that were unused?

As for alternate Atomic Bomber, I guess that probably is his antenna, man that is weird though to put it on his forehead. >_<

Shiro wrote:
THISTHISTHIS. EVERY tutorial I look is like "this should be obvious", but it really isn't.

My thoughts exactly. :hilarious: 
herrDoktorat
Bomberman

Post#6  Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:52 pm  Reply with quote + 
Quote:
Heck, I could make them for you if you wanted me to (...)

...I actually want. Would you kindly? :3
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#7  Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:05 pm  Reply with quote + 
Neo Bomberman has a heck of a lot of frames (I have to admire the effort they put into the graphics), but I did just finish my own rendition of the Fiendish/Heinous/Bad Bombers in Neo Bomberman's graphics style:

herrDoktorat
Bomberman

Post#8  Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:15 pm  Reply with quote + 
Dark Zaphe wrote:
Neo Bomberman has a heck of a lot of frames (I have to admire the effort they put into the graphics), but I did just finish my own rendition of the Fiendish/Heinous/Bad Bombers in Neo Bomberman's graphics style:

Nice! I wish I knew spriting haha.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#9  Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:26 pm  Reply with quote + 
Basically I just took Shiro's front standing sprite and modified it. I had to reshape their helmets first, and visors, and add the shoulder pads. Brain Bomber and Golem Bomber's bodies are from scratch though, and Pretty Bomber had to be reshaped to look smaller (like Honey). I was originally going to find actual palettes in the game that I could use, but there weren't any readily available so I said "screw it" and just did my own colors for the most part. I think I took the palette for the helmet emblems from Honey's scarf, and a few of the colors in Golem Bomber are from Red Bomber. Spriting's just kind of one of those things that you have to keep at until you get better, and study a lot of different sprites to see how they achieve different styles. I wish I could just pump out a whole sprite sheet for each of these guys, but, it takes a lot of time - especially in a situation where I'm trying to mimick graphics and make them fit in with a game. But who knows, if I ever get bored. :hilarious: 
herrDoktorat
Bomberman

Post#10  Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:31 pm  Reply with quote + 
I think they are good, but you need to use less saturized colors so we can see the shading better. :3
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#11  Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:40 pm  Reply with quote + 
I would, but I'm keeping it in the Neo Bomberman style. Magnet Bomber's helmet colors are exactly the same as those of Blue Bomber and he's one of the blandest colored ones of the bunch (of my sprites that is). :/
herrDoktorat
Bomberman

Post#12  Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:42 pm  Reply with quote + 
Oh, I see. 'Tis okay, then. \o\
Mighty
Bomberman

Post#13  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:00 pm  Reply with quote + 
For some good sprites, it amazes me why they were unused.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#14  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:12 pm  Reply with quote + 
I know... they already had them and they were ready to be used, and then they go ahead and take out three characters in favor of Honey and Kotetsu and Gold Bomber (again! We had to go through that in Super Bomberman 5, where they could have put in Subordinate Bomber). Although I must say I like the final version of Hayate rather than the one where he has a regular Bomberman face. And old Atomic is just... weird. Still interesting to look at them though. Although I guess I see your point, they could have had those winning and losing pictures instead of just the big heads.

Oh yeah, that other unused ridable monster I found, I think it's a Louie. I'll get around to ripping it.
Ragey
Board Admin

Post#15  Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:33 am  Reply with quote + 
Did you ever finish ripping the Louie, might I ask? I browsed through the graphics and kept a list of some things, either unused stuff or sprites I'd like to get around to ripping sometime, I'll keep it under spoilers just because it's kinda long and I hate stretching posts.
Spoiler:
NEO BOMBERMAN
0 - 7840 BG stuff
7910 items
8330 Bomberman (beta?)
8932 UNUSED Louie?
9128 Bomberman
11214 UNUSED more Louie?
11368 UNUSED battle icons
11816 menu stuff
12530 UNUSED louie with hat?
12684 Honey
15260 Bomberman
22592 Kotetsu
26134 Enemy 1
29046 Fake Bomber
37110 UNUSED battle icon
37390 UNUSED more louie
39382 win icon
40107 boss 3
41016 Atomic Bomber
42262 boss 2
43439 boss 1
43949 UNUSED egg enemy?
45846 battle mode victory art
47321 UNUSED pretty bomber!
47688 UNUSED ice cream item
48089 evil bomber
48567 cutscene art
49495 honey
50487 bomberman
51159 bomberman
51951 level clear art
72600 cat + honey
I covered some of the unused stuff for my site, though my discoveries weren't anywhere near as rad; some unused items, a weird enemy, yadda yadda. I did find this, however...

In-game Pretty Bomber! Aside from three extra frames of her facing diagonally, that's the only sprites there are, sadly, so she was probably like Bagular, there for the purpose of one brief scene and nothing else (I was hoping Bagular would have some unused frames, but as far as I can tell it's only a few tweaks to his shocked frame, I didn't bother checking them).
Maybe I'm just terrible at the game, but I've only ever gotten two pieces of art for level completion; one with the Bullet Bike thing for a normal victory, and one with confetti for clearing the stage and releasing the caged ally, but there looked to be two more pieces of art near them. One of Shiro and Kuro standing side-by-side, not riding on animals, and a second that I can't remember. If anyone's more experienced with Kawaks' palette system, it'd be neat to see them ripped.

While I'm yammering on about Neo Bomberman, I assume nothing ever came of hidden boss belief? I dinked about with value editing to see if I could access any secret levels, but all I got was some messed up stuff. I didn't see any large boss graphics that looked unfamiliar.
[edit] So I got some scans of the cabinet artwork and the egg monster is included, so I must've just missed it. Ooer.
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#16  Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:04 pm  Reply with quote + 
Hey there!

Shiro wrote:
Bomberman Wars manual in Ragey's page.

Is a translation underway somewhere?

Anyway, as awesome as it would have been for Chaos Bomber to have been in Neo, I would rather guess that this was some kind of Samurai Bomber (probably the one that got replaced by Kotetsu)
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#17  Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:48 pm  Reply with quote + 
I didn't rip the Louie, but you did, lol. It probably wasn't used because Louies typically appear by themselves or with Tirras; this game was more like SB4 in that it had natural and mechanical eggs.

As for the Egg monster, it does appear in game, though I think it's only Battle Mode (correct me if I'm wrong, somebody). It acts like a HaguHagu from SB4, in that its special attack destroys all the Soft Blocks on the screen.

Also, those Pretty Bomber sprites are awesome. I wonder if there were going to be more sprite-animated cutscenes originally? She was probably riding that blue duck monster.

Oh hey, wait... Maybe it was supposed to be for the final scene when she tricks the Bombermen and they chase after her. I guess we'll never know.

I'll look into those two other victory images you mentioned.

EDIT: Holy crap, this thread has a ridiculous amount of views. Must be because the images show up on Google search.
Ragey
Board Admin

Post#18  Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:34 pm  Reply with quote + 
Yikes, has it really been a year since anyone's posted in this thread? Time flies.
Just thought I'd mention that the folks at the Cutting Room Floor Wiki have some pages on Bomberman games. It's all rather mundane so far, but the Super Bomberman 5 page does have info that Subordinate Bomber was meant to be playable in battle mode, but they never finished coding him.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#19  Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:41 pm  Reply with quote + 
That is... an awesome website. :cool: 

I'm kind of disappointed in the lack of info on the hidden/blocked door in Bomberman 64 though. I wonder who has been working on these Bomberman pages?
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#20  Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:43 pm  Reply with quote + 
plasm wrote:
That is... an awesome website. :cool: 

I'm kind of disappointed in the lack of info on the hidden/blocked door in Bomberman 64 though. I wonder who has been working on these Bomberman pages?

What hidden/blocked door? o.O
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Emulation & Mods -> Bomberman Emulation All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 2 Page: 1, 2  Next

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1984s
Index - Back to Top