Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General
Viewing Single Post
From Topic: Old NES games?
DragonBomber
Bomberman

Post#6  Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:37 pm  Reply with quote + 
Oh, I completely forgot this somehow. I have the Super Mario Bros. theme on my cellphone, a background on it that looks like the Angry Sun but happy, and I carry my cash and cards in a Super Mario Bros. 2 hologram wallet I found at a thrift shop years ago. A couple years ago a friend even found a mint shape wallet exactly like mine in her garage so when this dies completely, I have a spare. Or a nice shelf decoration if I move to an adult wallet. I actually had a customer at the gas station I worked 3rd shift at come in with a wallet identical to mine, and I said, "hey, I have that wallet!" and pulled it out. Never saw him again, but it was weird since the city I'm in isn't huge.

Edit
I have owned a lot of the consoles from Magnavox Oddysey forward (thanks to thrift shops, yard sales, and pawn shops mostly), but I spent a lot of time on the NES. We had bought that new after everyone was getting into SNES. So games were cheaper, and the selection was amazing. The problem was for us, that we only had monochrome televisions when we moved to NY from CA. It took us a few years to get a used color TV off an aunt cheaply. Up until then we played all our NES games in black and white. You're talking about making Bart VS The Space Mutants impossible, as you could not tell the true purple tagged alien bits from normal stuff and sprayed everything. Dr. Mario was obviously also a challenge.

I think the games I loved most were Ninja Kid, Super Mario Bros. 1-3, Infiltrator (sneaking around spraying guards with sleeping gas or was awesome), Dr. Mario, Yoshi, Yoshi's Cookie, Bart VS The World, Super Team Games (for a while we played PowerPad games like demons), Clu Clu Land, Trog, The Legend of Zelda, RBI Baseball, BaseWars, Goal, Road Runner, Micro Machines, and others. My brother and I had amassed over 200 games before I stopped buying them. Nearly all of them were bought used, from Funcoland, yard sales, pawn shops, and the few remaining ones were new from Fingerhut or clearance shelves. Not sure how many are left after misc moves, sales, and people borrowing games. I know I have 2 or 3 toaster models, and 1 top loader a friend in town pulled out of his attic for me. Sadly, the top loader uses RF only without mods, so the quality on my HDTV is simple atrocious. In this case, and in the case of the n64, the only way to have good video quality on my display is falling back on emulation to help me.

I have not touched my toploader since it restarted on me while far in on Bomberman. I was so pissed off, kicking myself more since I should have just relied on the PC with its save states, but nooooo. Whenever I get the stupid USB adapter for the NES pads, maybe I'll do that more, but using my USB pads, PS2/PS1, GameCube, or Xbox 360 pads with NES games just doesn't feel right. The closest match was using these tiny USB pads Walmart sells, from the same maker as that cheap PS2/PS1, GameCube, and Xbox to USB adapter with 2 port usb hub. All my stuff from them works well, but I have to buy more of the pads since a friend borrowed them and kept them without reimbursing me as we discussed. Only $20 so I don't ask about them anymore. He'll likely be overseas fighting for the US again, so I owe him something I suppose. :surprise: 

Anyways, used to play NES for days on end during the summer. Literally would nap and return, so our console was always warm/hot to the touch. The accessories were good as well. I have these baseless joysticks with Mercury switches in them, a knock off of another big name controller from someone else that Big Lots was selling. Grip-Its they were called. They work with Genesis, Atari, and NES depending on the game played, believe it or not, having both controls. You move the joystick in the direction you want to go on screen. A good decade or more before better controls in the way of WiiMote, but still cool to fiddle with. You ended up ducking a lot, if the controls in the game allowed for it, or jumping shorter than you expected. I was a big Zapper and PowerPad game fan, having most of those releases after a while. Dance Aerobics...such a bad game. Years ahead of its time though.

Famicom wise, my favorite games would be Moai Kun (I love anything with Easter Island head statues), and Devil World. Oh, and the bootleg game Kart Fighter. Also years ahead of its time, with Nintendo characters brawling but not being an official game, it never took off. I played Bomberman first on a Famicom multicart I traded the same brothers who are doing the bman event, for. I think I gave them an Atari 2600 and 30 games for the multicart, and misc other tiny things.
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Video Games In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.0862s
Index - Back to Top