Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Emulation & Mods
Viewing Single Post
From Topic: Finally can play PAL and import discs on my PS2
DragonBomber
Bomberman

Post#11  Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:52 am  Reply with quote + 
Duke Serkol wrote:
In the Land series Aka got axed after a brief appearence as "Baby Red" (literally a baby with pacifier).
The standard translations now seem to be Cheerful White, Cool Black, Kid Blue, Bookworm Green, Giant Gold and... Cute Pink (sic).

Yeah, in one of the Kart games she appears as a Baby with pacifier also. I don't think it's the first one, but rather Bomberman Kart DX, but it could be both of them. Brain is dead right now.

Duke Serkol wrote:
Perhaps Hi-Ten Bomberman could. As far as I know it was released only as an arcade game... or maybe there was a port for the NEC FX, I'm not sure.

I know it was a roving demonstration game played during events and people had hoped it would be released. It ran on basically PCFX hardware in some people's opinion, and on custom hardware on other people's minds. There is info about it on a YouTube clip about it by some guy that has a ton of such promo video clips, plus the Super Famicom Strategy Guides mention it briefly as well in the chronology section at the back. The overall game itself is what seems to have become Saturn Bomberman, according to several entries about the interwebs, and the look of the game itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijWXi-vUzrM

At 12-16 seconds, and again at 26-32 seconds, you will notice the game board looks to be pretty close to what I showed above of Wide Mode Battle in Bomberman. A basic green grass and gray block board stuffed to the brim with space and super tiny for most people, with a ton of people blowing each other up. I so want the custom multitap of Bomberman heads at 16-22 seconds. The controllers themselves look like PCEngine pads a lot, or maybe PCFX pads, not sure what the difference is myself since the PCFX was just the PCEngine's bigger stronger brother.

If only there was a higher quality video available of this clip you might be able to tell what is on that table in front of the TV at the start, as it looks like there is something there. It's too blurry to make out much, and since I am not too familiar with those consoles I wouldn't pick out key features anyways.

It would be nice to get a promotional proto ripped in for people like us to analyze, enjoy, and spread. It could probably be modified to run on an emulator (in this case MagicEngine would likely work well) though I would wager it might not be leaked anytime soon or has been and I just missed it. Someone outside Hudson has to have access to it for sure.

Post 2

Dark Zaphe wrote:
The thing is, is that battle field just looks too big to me.... I guess as long as you cram it with more players, but still. Everything's just a little too small. From a gameplay perspective, though, it looks interesting. I know that's not the only mode you can play in that game, so it's fine. What I'm mostly talking about is how 3D games make the players look too big, or hide their faces because of the angle, or make them too small and lose detail.

That DreamMix game sounds pretty cool...

I understand your sentiments well. I like to see the faces also, partly for capturing every aspect of the fine detail touches put into the games, and partly just to feel more connected to my player. Would rather him or her not be faceless, which ends up happening. On many of the games you have little body animations and facial changes when misc things happen, such as a successful frag, being captured in the can, being hit with a bomb, being thrown, and so forth. Those little touches add a lot to the immersion factor for me, what they call suspension of belief in media studies. We all might think Bomberman's battle mode is unpossible [sic] but the little details weave a cartooney reality that we can believe, if even for a few minutes while we drop bombs in our friend's faces. Being more drawn in with details helps override our natural instinct to get stuck on the idea that "that shit ain't real" as a friend of a friend exclaims jokingly during martial arts films, knowing full well some of it is possible since he trains in martial arts. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief

At least, that is one benefit of details such as this. :) Another is your just have more colorful entertaining data to process and keep busy with as you play, improving the overall gaming experience. immersion again, but not always so cut and dry. I would imagine some people may get stuck on the "I can't see their faces!" thing and be unable to play the game though. lol

So far I have enjoyed DreamMix. I need to grab another memory card to play through it some, but the mode I was in seems simple enough. You and another player are battling to be the one left with heart energy. At the start of a battle there is a shitton of hearts shot around for you to bulk up on. You can eventually get so weak you lose your own heart, and if the other player captures it, you lose. At this point you are a mini character. If you capture it you return to normal size, and get some chance to fight on, but you're still low in health and prone to be beaten about. I think Smash Brothers has some mini fighter aspect like this when you suck as a player, but it's been ages since I played Brawl. The boards have fewer powerups than Brawl and all, though it could be in a different mode or with an option turned on. You get throwable items on some boards such as buckets, and teddy bears on Licca-chan's board (the fashion doll).

Bomberman can drop 3 bombs at a time I believe, and can kick them at people as well. Not found out how to throw them yet. He also can do a power dive thing where little flame cloud fire shadow effect surrounds the impact point, ideally the intent being you are supposed to land on the other player(s) from above. :veryhappy:  You can pick up and carry, as well as throw other players, and it looks hilarious. I played as Bomberman and alternate costumes of him with a friend Monday, and he was Optimus Prime. He enjoyed turning into the truck form and driving over/through me, but he was bad about running into my bombs left around and kicked in his face. I will know more if I find a PDF or get the game before long to make my own.

I realize it's a copy clone of sorts, but the format works for me, and why not enjoy it right? There is a Zatch Bell Battle game in this similar vein I have to try out as well, but I am a sucker for having options. This is mainly for my friend's benefit as they love Smash Bros. I love kart racers, so Kart is amazing to me. lol Bomberman Kart DX being as good options wise and better on some levels visually since it has that Gauntlet-like dungeon crawler using misc characters as players. You wander the levels and beat on enemies from the original Bomberman game, but with better graphics and a action quest like feel.

Shirobon with a sword, and he's not a samurai or ninja? Hell yes I'm in. Makes me think of the Bomberman classes in PS1/Saturn Bomberman Wars. :veryhappy:  I wish more people lived local to me, as playing with some of you all would rock. Too bad they never made online gameplay for these titles mentioned, though getting the game online and connecting to people who have it would prove tricky. :sad: 
BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Emulation & Mods All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1424s
Index - Back to Top