BombermanBoard Forum Index BombermanBoard
Bomberman Community

Search Forum   Member List   Chat / Chat Log 
 Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
Won't these all be obsolete in a few months?
[Replies: 21]  [Views: 9023]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Page: 1, 2  Next
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Emulation & Mods -> Bomberman Emulation

Miyamoto Arrekusu
Bomberbie

Post#1  Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:20 pm  Reply with quote + 
I was reading on the Wii's virtual arcade, and it has mentioned that some game companies (Squaresoft and Hudson mainly) were going to make the best of their games available over Wii's virtual console.

Meaning a legal means to download older Bomberman titles will be available.

Further research revealed that even such obscure Bomberman titles as Second Attack ( the greatest Bomberman game, nay, the greatest game ever released) are available over virtual console.

Is anyone else excited?
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#2  Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:33 pm  Reply with quote + 
Sadly I'm not.

Until I see some improved games or remakes popping up, the Virtual Console is going to be the most disappointing feature of the Wii to me.
I mean, if I wanted to actually buy old games (rather than emulate them), I'd get them from eBay (which I do sometimes) and get box and manual along with them. The Virtual Console has no appeal to me, unless they use it for what I said above.
I'd love to see a remade/improved Zelda2, for one.

And thankfully I have both BMan 64 games :happy: 
Miyamoto Arrekusu
Bomberbie

Post#3  Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:59 pm  Reply with quote + 
I could only rent it, because I discovered it (and the general Bomberman craze) after it's run... :xeyes: 

But I can see your point, liking the old way of playing it.
I'd rather pay $2 instead of $35 though.
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#4  Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:21 am  Reply with quote + 
Duke Serkol wrote:
Sadly I'm not.

Until I see some improved games or remakes popping up, the Virtual Console is going to be the most disappointing feature of the Wii to me.
I mean, if I wanted to actually buy old games (rather than emulate them), I'd get them from eBay (which I do sometimes) and get box and manual along with them. The Virtual Console has no appeal to me, unless they use it for what I said above.
I'd love to see a remade/improved Zelda2, for one.

I've got all three Bomberman games for N64 as well, so thank the Gods for that. I'd only be interested in DLing the games on the Virtual Console if they decided to totally revamp the graphics and add Easter Eggs or somesuch. Now that would freakin' rock hardcore.

AO3 | deviantArt | Tumblr
Bluesky | Twitter | Ko-Fi
Bombermanga | Bomber Base | B-Daman Now, Dog!

If I don't wield the bomb, I can't protect you. If I keep wielding the bomb, I can't embrace you.
View user profile Send Private Message
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#5  Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:41 am  Reply with quote + 
The killer feature for me would be optimized online support. Seriously to all the companies whos trying to profiteer off of the emulation scene... If you do not have better features then your competition, your competition will win, especially if your competition gives away their product for free.

Lets see where current pc emulators beat the virtual console (i've not actually played vc mind you, so i may eat my foot about some of these)

1. Good save state support
2. Good cheat support
3. Better compatibility (with wii i can only count games they're actually selling as compatible)
4. Obscure titles (if no one knows who owns the rom, it wont be on the vc)
5. Fast forward/rewind, its almost required for me anymore on alot of games.
6. Real life controller conversions is a possibility, like hell if i'm trying to figure out how to mod a nes controller to the gamecube controller port.
7. Open source, lets be honest, supporting open source makes me happier then fighting against it viciously
8. portability, i can take a disk with emulated games to a friends house, i can take a memory card with no working emulation to a friends house, it would be nice to be able to take the games with me short of actually taking the console. Lets be honest, i don't want to take a wii to my friends house when my friend OWNS A WII
9.zsnes sounds cooler then wii
10. online support (though not optimized, atleast not per game), lets be honest, playing mario kart against my brother over the web is fun, even if lag can be an issue.

And yes, i went to 10 just cause 10 is a nice fun number for lists. But lets be honest, i'm not piping money to Nintendo like this tell they fix some of these issues, lets be honest, I kindof think the virtual console might be nintendos way of fighting "those evil rom dealers"... if nintendo gains rights to a rom from somewhere that wasn't worried about anti rom piracy and the dcma i'm willing to bet that they'll try to use these as just a few more titles to tilt the board with.
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#6  Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:23 am  Reply with quote + 
You're absolutely right!

And let's not forget that:

11 with emulation you don't have to worry about any sort of region locks!
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#7  Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:06 am  Reply with quote + 
I can see where virtual console would have its uses but I'm something of a colelctor and would much rather own the game and have it on my shelf with all my other stuffs. Virtual console is useful thoguh for those who wanna play old games again and no longer have the systems and the money to replace them. It's a very neat feature. Even people that own the old systems. You can play all these games on your wii. then you dont have to deal with 5 or 6 systems being hooked up and all that. It really depends how you look at it. Personally I don't really need it but it's a cool feature. I might get some use out of it simply for the convenience of playing all the games on your wii console. Good for travel.

I know Emulation does all that too but I don't really want to get into a debate over legal issues and all that.
Soniti 254
Bomberjack

Post#8  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:41 pm  Reply with quote + 
I thinks it's quite a nifty feature. I'd give gamers the ability to experince older titles they may have never played before, such as Donkey Kong or the Original Mario Bros. for example. I may also be something of a collector, but I'd still download some of my favorites games on the Virtual Console when I get my Wii just in case I feel like playing Sonic, but I'm too lazy to get up and actullay get my Genesis working. Plus you can try playing some of those games in a different way, like using the Wiimote for the NES games, I'd definatly do that just to see how different it is to play them, it'd be fun. Plus there's the ability to play Turbografx games, and I hope I can experince Dracula X: Rondo of Blood on that instead of having to buy a TurboDuo and getting the game. Too much of a pain for me.

Recent stuff I'm into:

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Nazo No Kanojo X (ep. 8), Acchi Kocchi (ep. 8)
Reading: nothing
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#9  Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:16 pm  Reply with quote + 
SSJ-Sonic 254 wrote:
Plus there's the ability to play Turbografx games, and I hope I can experince Dracula X: Rondo of Blood on that instead of having to buy a TurboDuo and getting the game. Too much of a pain for me.

Eh, I wouldn't consider the chance of CD games making it to the Virtual Console as very high.
Which is a real shame, both for Dracula X and the Ys games... and since this is a (the) Bomberman board, Star Parodier!
Midi
Bombertrainee

Post#10  Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:10 pm  Reply with quote + 
Duke Serkol wrote:

Oh, both you say? Did you forget that there is a third one? Bomberman Hero is also on the 64, and I gotta say, it was great. Short, yes, but great.
Ninja Bomber
Bomberdude

Post#11  Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:15 pm  Reply with quote + 
Midi wrote:
Duke Serkol wrote:

Oh, both you say? Did you forget that there is a third one? Bomberman Hero is also on the 64, and I gotta say, it was great. Short, yes, but great.

Yeah, it was on the N64, but Bomberman64 are considered to be only those 2.
Hero had a totally diferent gameplay. We consider it apart from the 64 series
Midi
Bombertrainee

Post#12  Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:36 pm  Reply with quote + 
Guess someone needs to update the Bomberman wiki then if it's really not part of the series.

Either way, I don't think emulators will ever become obsolete. There'll always be someone who'd rather play a rip off for free than a legal version on a consol for money. I know, I went to school with a few of them. Though in my opinion, emulate all you want, but there's just no beating the feeling of playing the real thing on a real consol with a real controller. Seriously, keyboards make ya sore after a while.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#13  Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:06 pm  Reply with quote + 
Bomberman Hero is not Bomberman 64. "Bomberman 64" is not in its title. The other two games are actually named "Bomberman 64" and "Bomberman 64: The Second Attack."

Also, he doesn't mean it's not a part of the series. Bomberman Hero has nothing to do with the other to N64 games in terms of storyline. Bomberman 64 and Bomberman 64: TSA both are connected in storyline. Just as Super Bomberman 2, 3, and 4 were all part of a trilogy - Shiro battles the Five Bad Bombers, then Bagular revives them and they all fall again, then Shiro defeats Bagular once more in SB4 when he sends the Bomber Kings to attack. Unlike Super Bomberman 1 which has totally different villains and Super Bomberman 5 which incorporates the previous four games but has a different storyline altogether. Do you get it? Think about this - The Hobbit is directly a part of the Lord of the Rings series, but it is not a part of the trilogy.
DragonBomber
Bomberman

Post#14  Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:39 am  Reply with quote + 

I still need to pick this one up eventually. :sad: 

As far as emus go, there are some great benefits as mentioned above. 10 is never enough! I would also add:

13. Speed. You can load one game, decide it's boring you, and load another is a few seconds. No needing to blow out an NES cart, track down a disc someone left out of the case, or hook up a system you have in the closet for a few minutes of bliss.
14. Replacement cost. If you lose your only copy of a rare game when your dog gets the munchies, you're SOL. With roms you can load anything over and over, and redownload whatever you have lost. You can set up games for a batch of hyper children and the worst they will do is maybe destroy your PC, which may cost less than what the console, controllers, and games cost.
15. Versatility. Emulators for SNES/SFC for example run on a ton of systems, from a PC/Mac, to the PSP, DS, Xbox, PS2, and more. That is countless ways to play games that you love but depending on the situation you might not want to go through the trouble of.
16. Screenshots. When I am working on reviews or website content, I appreciate being able to quickly snap away some stills, video, or sound from an emulator. This is especially true for titles I do not yet own but very much want to. Without emus I would not be able to learn more about many games and decide if it's worth it to find online.
17. Translation. Maybe this counts as a cheat, but finding subtitle patches and various graphic edits of games is pretty useful, especially when there was only a Japanese version of a game and you lack the language skills to comprehend while playing it.

Using standard keyboard controls for emus is a moot point since you are able to map any number of good controllers in its place, such as JoytoKey and others. Some controllers are even better than the originals in accurately and comfortably playing the games. I agree that playing the game on the original hardware with the original games is best, but sometimes best isn't what you want or need. With my PS2, depending how the four player support is in the emus, I will have all the SFC and Megadrive goodness I need most days, and have the more modern game support.

I keep all of my Bomberman games for the packaging and manuals as much as for the playable game. That's me though. Some people hate that junk. To me it's artwork. But, whatever the reason, emus serve a purpose. If it's not your cup of tea, you can always grab a coke.
Bomberjack

Post#15  Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:56 pm  Reply with quote + 
DragonBomber wrote:

I still need to pick this one up eventually.

The main feature of the game is essentially a port of PS1 Bomberman Land (1), right? With several additional games, including Panic Bomber I think and a new multipath version of the classic Bomberman, if I'm not mistaken.
Cool stuff. Too bad it's only in Japanese.
Vent
Bomberdude

Post#16  Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:03 pm  Reply with quote + 
I've played it via Project 64, which means it runs a little slowly.

If only we had somebody to make a translation patch for it...
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#17  Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:10 am  Reply with quote + 
It's pretty good in my opinion, I didn't play much of the Bomberman Land game that was on it though, partially because it was all in Japanese. I don't know how to do patches but I wouldn't be strictly opposed to translating everything -but- the Bomberman Land portion, unless there is some way to dump the text in which case I would consider it.
Mighty
Bomberman

Post#18  Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:17 pm  Reply with quote + 
Hopefully they release Bomberman Hero for Virtual Console. Unfortunately, alot of people hate it for some reason.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#19  Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:01 pm  Reply with quote + 
I don't know, I didn't really like it much either... It's alright I suppose. It's not bad.

I own it on the N64 though; what I'd personally like to see on the Virtual Console would be games that are for systems I'll probably never buy. Like Bomberman for the TG-16 (also known as Dynablaster), that would complete the original "series".
Mighty
Bomberman

Post#20  Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:56 pm  Reply with quote + 
Well I can say Bomberman Hero is what brought me into my Bomberobsession.
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Emulation & Mods -> Bomberman Emulation All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 2 Page: 1, 2  Next

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1987s
Index - Back to Top