Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
Lode Runner returns... again.
[Replies: 12]  [Views: 4925]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General

Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#1  Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:00 am  Reply with quote + 
Some of you may be aware that the first Bomberman game was closely tied (in terms of story and looks) to Hudson Soft's port of Lode Runner on the NES.

Some of you may also be aware that Hudson recently made a 3D remake of the game on Game Cube.

Now they are porting the original to DS http://www.hudson.co.jp/puzzle/loderunner/
Check out the enemy artwork (same as in GC version) :wink: 

Last edited by Duke Serkol on Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:36 pm
Hammer Bomber
Bomberman

Post#2  Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:52 am  Reply with quote + 
thats truly pathetic, i was sick to death with everyoe cashing in on the classic range on he GBA but this is beyond rediculus, does anyone acshually like NES graphics?
View user profile Send Private Message
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#3  Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:09 pm  Reply with quote + 
graphics are an irrelevent factor. If the game is fun to play NES graphics will do the job. The original Megaman games are still among my favorites to this day.I still prefer to play them on the NES despite the fact they rereleased them. NES graphics are good enough for you to tell what everything is. The later Megaman games had excellent sprites and backgrounds. Even it's music was awesome.

NES still kicks ass in my opinion.
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#4  Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:35 pm  Reply with quote + 
Hammer Bomber wrote:
thats truly pathetic, i was sick to death with everyoe cashing in on the classic range on he GBA but this is beyond rediculus, does anyone acshually like NES graphics?

I do, but I agree, NES graphics alone should not and hopefully will not sell a game today. However, if you watch carefully those unnervingly tiny screenshots, you'll notice there's at least three different graphic sets, the first being the NES, the second being in the style of the GC revamp (like the various artworks, you can also compare the sprites on the left of the text with those walking above the large sign to the right) and the last... I have no clue what the heck that is.

And yeah, the NES ports for GBA were freaking theft. All of them could probably fit into a single cart.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#5  Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:35 pm  Reply with quote + 
Hahahaha.... I noticed that the "new" drawn version of the enemy doesn't look much like a Bomberman anymore. :hilarious: 

I myself haven't tried any of the revived classics, mostly because I don't have that console.
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#6  Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:53 pm  Reply with quote + 
I'd say they looks like evil, primitive (technologically) bombermen with pincers as their hands.
Hammer Bomber
Bomberman

Post#7  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:47 pm  Reply with quote + 
now i know some people like NES graphics, but thats a minoraty and they will not carry a game. graphics arnt too big a deal for me either but Pre SNES things just dont look good, there is a few exseptions. Kirby's Adventure for instance was graphted superbly and dont put you off but rearlly, there is no exscuse to be lazy like this anymore
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#8  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:26 am  Reply with quote + 
Yeah if it doesn't sell because of its graphics it just shows how biased the world is basing a game's quality entirely on its graphics.

I think it will still sell somewhat though. Of course no grand theft auto loving dimwit will buy it, but I'm sure there were plenty of fans of the Lode runner series for it to sell moderately among its fanbase, who probly realize the graphics in a game like this don't matter.

Bah. I'm tired of discussing this matter.

Trying to convince today's casual gamers of the irreleventness of graphical quality is indeed a lost cause. The better graphics have gotten the more lost to reason they have become.

I normally wouldn't be so bothered by these thoughts. I must be in a bad mood.
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#9  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:15 am  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
Yeah if it doesn't sell because of its graphics it just shows how biased the world is basing a game's quality entirely on its graphics.

I think it will still sell somewhat though. Of course no grand theft auto loving dimwit will buy it, but I'm sure there were plenty of fans of the Lode runner series for it to sell moderately among its fanbase, who probly realize the graphics in a game like this don't matter.

Bah. I'm tired of discussing this matter.

Trying to convince today's casual gamers of the irreleventness of graphical quality is indeed a lost cause. The better graphics have gotten the more lost to reason they have become.

I normally wouldn't be so bothered by these thoughts. I must be in a bad mood.

It's true that graphics don't make the game, but they're all you have to go on at first most of the time when a new game is being discussed. It's a balance between good graphics and innovative gameplay that will eventually ensure the future fanbase, but I'm probably preaching to the choir here.

AO3 | deviantArt | Tumblr
Bluesky | Twitter | Ko-Fi
Bombermanga | Bomber Base | B-Daman Now, Dog!

If I don't wield the bomb, I can't protect you. If I keep wielding the bomb, I can't embrace you.
Hammer Bomber
Bomberman

Post#10  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:01 am  Reply with quote + 
ill just explain my views on this game fully, so you don't misunderstand what im trying to say again. im not chummy with this game for the main reason that i could easily download some shareware that betters this game in every aspect, small shareware companies are superb at arcade games, this to that reason i don't like this attempt (not that it will be coming anywhere near the UK anyway :P )

thinking about t, it would only be the Japs that buy it anyway, my point was that there is no market for that sort of game here or in the states, just a few eccentric collectors and older gamers who have memories of the previous version. Graphics are part of what makes it unappealing to the majority and they do look shite, what hasn't been touched up is a mesh of revolting colors that clash with each other. as is the case with most NES stuff. i would buy this game if it was on a mobile phone as it would amuse me when im waiting for a bus, it actually looks like thats what its from. Arcade games like this witch are simple in how it plays (Not difficulty) really aren't worth the money.

(i look foreword to a reply, im enjoying this discussion)
Duke Serkol
Bomberjack

Post#11  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:00 am  Reply with quote + 
Okay, but I don't think I have much to add :laugh: 

I agree with Regulus that graphics are absolutely secondary to gameplay, but while I'm going to get a Wii over the PS3 (the latter being graphic-wise more capable) the thing is, they are both up to the times.
Re-releasing a classic game with revamped graphics (as is the case with this Lode Runner game, whether people recognize it or not) is easy and shouldn't be very costly for any software house. Which is why when they do re-release old games with the very same graphic and no revamped option I get very P.Oed.
I mean, ever since they started selling NES classics on single GBA carts (collections I could somehow understand, but single carts, wtf??) I've been wondering "What the heck happened to the company that gave us Mario All Stars"?
...oh and it goes without saying that anytime I used the word graphic you can change it with music and sound to the same effect (I loved the remixes in All Stars)

So yeah, while I'm sad to see an overall good quality new game succumb because it doesn't have as l33t graphic as the latest GTA, I'm all too happy to see lazy no-frills ports from 20 years ago fail miserably.

Here's hoping Nintendo gets back in the spirit and releases a DS cart with revamped versions of the NES Zeldas.
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#12  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:12 pm  Reply with quote + 
While i agree with the statements that the gba carts were overly disapointing, i may disagree with the overal view of this game concidering that i doubt many of you have a clue of what innovatations this game will or will not have, i personaly have high expectations that it will match the old Sierra version in quality, and possibly best it. I personaly enjoyed the old Lode-Runner games anyway. Including the old sprites is also a fun choice, because it allows you to play in a nastolgic local. Point being, if what i understand of this game is true, its attempting to be innovative (and redecorated), but allowing a nistolgic gameplay, i really don't see any reason to complain about that.

Of course i'm also one that didn't play much super mario all stars because the timing seemed just slighty off to me.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#13  Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:35 pm  Reply with quote + 
This topic is making me want to play Lode Runner now.... Console Classix, anyone? :hilarious: 

By the way:

Load Runner:

EDIT: Oh yeah, that's why I didn't play this game much.... I SUCK at it.
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1642s
Index - Back to Top