Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
Fate/Stay Night
[Replies: 15]  [Views: 7177]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Entertainment Talk

Phantom Kensai
Bomberbie

Post#1  Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:03 am  Reply with quote + 
I realize I've mentioned this anime several times on this board, so I guess I'll pimp it out by giving it its own topic.

Taken from animeinfo.org description:

Quote:
Based on a game by TYPE-MOON...

It is said that the Holy Grail grants wishes to he who wields it. To materialise the Holy Grail, a ritual is about to be held. The Holy Grail will choose seven wizards (Masters) and give them seven familiar spirits (Servants).

Saber, Lancer, Archer, Rider, Caster, Assassin, and Berserker.

The Master contracts with one of seven familiar spirits that plays one of the above roles (classes). The Master must prove that he is most qualified to have the Holy Grail, meaning that he must eliminate the other Masters to show he is the strongest. This ritual is called the "Holy Grail War."

The story takes place in Fuyuki City. It is a city surrounded by the sea and mountains. In this common city, a shadow encroaches.

The main character, Emiya Shirou, had lost his parents in a fire when he was a child. He was adopted by a person who called himself a wizard, Emiya Kiritsugu. Disobeying his father-in-law, the Shirou has studied magic. However, because he lacked talent, he could master only one magic spell despite several years' training.

One day, the Shirou got accidentally involved in a fight between two opposing Masters. As he lay dying, a girl suddenly appeared and saved him.

"I ask of you, are you my Master?"

He contracted with one of the seven Servants, Saber. Willingly or not, he has become a master, and plunges into the war over the Holy Grail...

Pic of Saber...

And pic of Shirou...

Now, the story is much more than just the brief summary I outlined above. The story is incredibly deep and intricate and maddeningly confusing and paradoxical at times; if you think Full Metal Alchemist and the Philosopher's Stone was confusing, you ain't seen nothing yet.

As you may have noticed, the anime is based off of a game. It's a PC game, to be precise, Japan-only, released 2 years ago. Actually, it's not really a "game"; Type-Moon calls it a "visual novel." It's like a "choose-your-own-adventure" book where the story plays itself out on your computer screen, with illustrations and voice acting in additions to mountains and mountains of text, and although the images are all still pictures, the game uses a number of visual tricks to make it seem like a movie. At certain intervals, the player must make a decision; typically, the wrong decision quickly ends the game.

Oh, yeah, one more thing: Fate/Stay Night is a hentai game.

Now, I can see you all shaking your heads and ready to hit the "back" button, but wait: when I say hentai game, I mean that it's a story with sex in it; not just sex and a slapped-together story. In fact, the story could work without the sex; the anime quietly skips over the 18+ scenes and continues business as usual, something I think that benefited it. Well, at least in the Fate scenario; I don't know enough about UBW or HF to make a proper judgment call on that.

Although to be fair, the game really earns its 18+ rating.

The game had three scenarios in it: "Fate," "Unlimited Blade Works," and "Heaven's Feel." The anime is pretty much a carbon copy of the Fate path, with some less-than-subtle hints and homages from the UBW and HF scenarios.

Each scenario has a different ending: UBW and HF have two endings to them. It's a bit difficult to say which one is the most canon ending.

OK, that's enough about the game.

If you ever chance upon an F/SN discussion forum, you may also see many references to "Tsukihime," which is another H-game done by Type-Moon and was turned into an anime. Apparently, F/SN and Tsukihime both happen in the same world and Tsukihime definitely influences F/SN (Tsukihime occurs a few years before F/SN). Unfortunately, I have little interest in Tsukihime so don't come to me for more info.

All 24 episodes of Fate/Stay Night are available on Youtube, last time I checked. Fansubs done by Eclipse, who have redefined speed-subbing: seriously, these guys had the subbing done within 24 hours of airtime, and they were quality subs as well. Animejunkies got pwned.

Uh... so, anyone interested?
View user profile Send Private Message
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#2  Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:13 am  Reply with quote + 
Oh my gods Type-moon!

Ever played Melty Blood Phantom?

This looks really interesting. Maybe I'll pick it up. The art is probly by the same artist as Melty Blood. It looks the same.
Phantom Kensai
Bomberbie

Post#3  Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:28 pm  Reply with quote + 
Heh, Melty Blood... a friend of mine played that all the time. All I know about it is that it uses the characters from Tsukihime, and that Shiki is one serious pimp. Move over Roy and your 7 girls... Shiki's got 9!

It is indeed made by Type-Moon.

And just to further advert F/SN, here is a quick clip highlighting the action in the series. Has some spoilers for Assassin, but he's such a minor character that I don't think it really matters.

EDIT: Fixed the link.

Last edited by Phantom Kensai on Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:45 pm
JET_ALONE
Bomberdude

Post#4  Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:14 am  Reply with quote + 
Wow, this, sounds really really jawsum. Hentai game eh? I'd love to get a hentai game one day. A decent one, like a Yaoi or something. But um I'm guessing the game wasn't released in english?
Phantom Kensai
Bomberbie

Post#5  Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:37 am  Reply with quote + 
Didn't even know yaoi games existed.

English? Pfft. Eclipse already faced a massive task ahead of them with the anime, and it was an absolute miracle they were able to get quality subs out 24 hours after the original airing. Kinoko Nasu (the man who wrote the stories for Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night) is a guy who uses different terms for "Magic" and "Sorcery." That's just scratching the surface.

In short: Nasuverse is a real female dog to translate.

There actually is a translation effort for F/SN being done out there, but I'm not holding my breath.

But OK, enough about the game.

Probably my top 5 characters were...

1. Saber
2. Caster
3. Souchirou Kuzuki
4. Gilgamesh
5. Archer

I'll include pictures once I can find them...
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#6  Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:58 am  Reply with quote + 
That link you put up for F/SN just lead me to a sad video about how some evil older bbrother played a trick on his little brother by smashing a gamecube that wasn't his little brother's but the little brother thought it was. He cried and everything it was terrible....
I'm guessing you put the wrong link by accident? Cause that had nothing to do with F/SN.

If I were like a 13-14 year old kid and my gamecube got smashed I'd probably cry too. I wouldn't if I were over 16 since it'd be easily replacable through working and buying a new one.
Phantom Kensai
Bomberbie

Post#7  Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:41 pm  Reply with quote + 

How did that get there?

Well, I've fixed the link now.
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#8  Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:59 pm  Reply with quote + 
Regulus 777 wrote:
I wouldn't if I were over 16 since it'd be easily replacable through bashing the head of my older brother untel he bled enough money to replace my system

fixed
Phantom Kensai
Bomberbie

Post#9  Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:08 pm  Reply with quote + 
I was just watching the final arc again (eps 21-24)... sigh... I can honestly say this probably has one of the best endings I've ever seen in an anime.
JET_ALONE
Bomberdude

Post#10  Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:13 pm  Reply with quote + 
Quote:
Didn't even know yaoi games existed.

They're pretty obscure and mostly for PC as far as I know. And they look hillarious :happy:  I'm hoping that there's some for Saturn, because you can get allot of hentai games on that platform.

Oh the world of fandubbing...How intruiging...
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#11  Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:25 pm  Reply with quote + 
Oh man! I just watched that sampler Phantom and it looks fricken awesome. I'm definately going to watch that now. Maybe even when I get home from work tonight...

fireball87 wrote:
Regulus 777 wrote:
I wouldn't if I were over 16 since it'd be easily replacable through bashing the head of my older brother untel he bled enough money to replace my system

fixed

lmao.
Fortunately for me I'm quite nice to my younger brother.
If people bled money don't you think there'd be alot more death?
Phantom Kensai
Bomberbie

Post#12  Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:59 pm  Reply with quote + 
I've been trying to see other translations of the show: I mean, Eclipse is cool and all, but they did speed-sub, which inevitably means errors and awkward sentences will show up.

For example, in episode 14, there's a line Eclipse translated as, "Tear a mountain from the earth,and the sword splits water in two!"

There's another line that says: "Before this is over, take two more of these blades with you!" That doesn't make much sense, because the man saying it was only holding one sword.

So I looked around on Youtube and found an alternate translation that made much more sense:

"My power can destroy a mountain, and my sword can split a river!"

"I'll take at least two more of your lives within that time!"

I'm trying to figure out which group translated like this. So far, I have confirmed three other groups besides Eclipse worked on F/SN:

AnimeOne
Kuroneko
Mahou

Now, I know it's not Mahou because they use different font for their subtitles, which just leaves AOne and Kuro.

Anyone know?
Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#13  Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:49 am  Reply with quote + 
My torrent for the series finished a few days ago and I started watching it tonight. It is very good. I've seen through episode 10 so far. I'm watching the version done by Eclipse, so I don't think I can help you.

there are alot of characters to keep track of in this anime. Alot of cool ones at that.

If I had to choose a favortie I'd probly say Saber. Kind of typical yeah, but she's super awesome!
Phantom Kensai
Bomberbie

Post#14  Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:51 pm  Reply with quote + 
Saber Saber Saber Saber Saber Saber Saber Saber...

*drool*

Yeah, she's probably the prettiest anime girl I've seen. In fact, I'm sorta torn between her and Caster as my favorite F/SN girl...

Keep me updated; I'm particularly interested in hearing what you have to say about episodes 14, 21, and 24 (IMO, the three highlights of the series).

So, with that said, I'm just going to post pictures.

One of my favorite Archer/Rin pics:

Ilya = Winry Rockbell?!

Just beautiful.

Regulus 777
Bomberstar

Post#15  Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:47 pm  Reply with quote + 
I just finished the series about an hour ago. Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!

Great anime thanks for introducing me to it.

Since you did a top 5 characters i'm gonna do one too

1. Saber - A beauty, a badass and such elegance...
2. Maybe I'm weird but Rin Tosaka was definately my 2nd favorite. She was really cool and could definately hold her own in battle. She was really resourceful and quick thinking.
3. Illya
4. Rider
5. Assassin

All the characters were really cool. So its not like these 5 were the only ones I really liked.

Yeah the 3 epsiodes you mentioned were really important and were good episodes.

I especially like 15, 16 and 20 in addition to those you mentioned.

You use any messengers? We should discuss this series a bit seeing how no one else on the board has really shown a heavy interest in it other then us. I'm partial to MSN Messenger but I also have AIM. My contacts are in my profile. Drop one if you'd like.
Phantom Kensai
Bomberbie

Post#16  Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:59 pm  Reply with quote + 
I'm kind of biased against instant messaging, but I just dropped you an email; check your inbox!
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Entertainment Talk All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1973s
Index - Back to Top