Control Panel   Private Messages   Register   Log in 
Bomberman Regional Differences
[Replies: 6]  [Views: 2180]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General

BakuBonba
Bomberdude

Post#1  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:45 pm  Reply with quote + 
While I'm managing the mobile thread, here is a side thread. Regional Differences in Bomberman games. What regional differences did you find in Bomberman games?
Examples include:
Baku Bomberman/Bomberman 64 (name change)
Bomberman II (Password change)
"When Konami gives you lemons, remember that this mode is the closest we'll ever get to a Bomberman x Kirby crossover. Make of that what you will." -BakuBonba on "Super Bomberman R's Memory Cartridges in Grand Prix Battle Mode."
View user profile Send Private Message
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#2  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:20 pm  Reply with quote + 
I and other members could write entire articles regarding this issue. Most of the time it was things like an altered title, things being renamed or mistranslated. Other times, a whole lot of in-game content got tweaked for the western release.

You can find a lot of documented regional differences on Ragey's site. Not all of them, but more than you would likely find elsewhere.

I guess to make this post a little less of a "there's way too much for me to jot down in this thread" sort of thing, I can talk about Super Bomberman 3.

In the game manual's story, in the Japanese version, all that is basically stated through the story manga is that Professor Bagura/Bugler appears, revives the 5 Bad Bombers, and sends them out to capture the Mother Computer Chips in order to conquer Bomber Nebula as the beginning of his plan for universal conquest.

The European manual is... not so accurate to this. It explicitly states that Professor Bugler created the 5 Bad Bombers, which is not confirmed until much later in the series, and introduces the concept that the five planets were under control of a certain "United Planet Federation" and that the Mother Computers kept peace in the galaxy. Absolutely none of this appears in the Japanese sources, including the lengthy guidebook.

All five Normal Game worlds were renamed, save for the sixth, Battleship. Surprisingly, an effort was made to transliterate the boss's names, though the first three bosses were given rather messy English versions (Bakeron became Bakkelon, Doggan became Dokgun, and Gamepuku became Gammebook... probably would have been better to translate the meanings and come up with new names).

In the Battle Game, the PK Bomber mode became Soccer Bomber in the west. Every single battle map was renamed. Surprisingly, Bomber Chun and Bomber Kid were properly translated here (as opposed to the Party Edition release, which redubbed them Bomber Chen and Bomber the Kid), though Bomber Uhho was given the strange transliteration of Bomber Uhoo.

Some items were oddly renamed. For the sake of brevity, the strangest renames were Rubber Bomb becoming Slime Bomb, and Pierce Bomb becoming Super Bomb, as well as both "Pass" items being named "Passer", possibly as a misunderstanding.

With that out of the way, in the actual game, the main changes that I'm aware of, outside of translation, were in the Battle Game selection. You can see them here. Amusingly, though they corrected the spelling of "Kenya", they still left its flag in South America... :stun: 
BakuBonba
Bomberdude

Post#3  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:26 pm  Reply with quote + 
In the Japanese version of the second attack, Baku Bomberman 2, Baelfael is WAY harder to beat.
1.One of his attacks Stuns B-man in the Japanese version (it only damages him in the US Version). This can result in the player being knocked off the arena.
2.He has a desperation attack where he spams his attack constantly (meaning you can get knocked off the arena very easily).

Baelfael was made easier in the US Version. Probably because he's the first boss.

The PAL version of Bomberman 64 is slower than the NTSC version, but the timer moves at the same speed. Because of this, The Target Times were Changed.
Green Garden Stage 1
NTSC: 12000
PAL: 14400
That's the only one I know. I'll do an investigation into this.
"When Konami gives you lemons, remember that this mode is the closest we'll ever get to a Bomberman x Kirby crossover. Make of that what you will." -BakuBonba on "Super Bomberman R's Memory Cartridges in Grand Prix Battle Mode."
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#4  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:40 pm  Reply with quote + 
There's a lot of differences in TSA bosses, a lot more than the ones you mentioned, and many more beyond the bosses.

I was in the process of documenting TSA regional differences, as well as Bomberman Hero's regional differences. There is an actual list of Hero's regional differences floating around, originating from the Hero speedrun community. However, aside from the document itself being more lazily written (blatant missing information when comparing US vs JP differences the farther you read into it), there seems to be a lot of undocumented changes that are incredibly hard to miss, which has made me skeptical of the whole document. I only managed to check a few stages so far, but all of them had missing information. For example, in the first hot level where your HP depletes, there's a *lot* of Gold Hearts in the JP version, none in the US version, and the document only lists one Gold Heart difference at the very beginning of the stage.

I've been quite busy so I don't know when I'll get around to completing this list but I've made a lot of progress in recording TSA's differences and haven't really started in Hero.
BakuBonba
Bomberdude

Post#5  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:16 pm  Reply with quote + 
DarkFire4114 wrote:
There's a lot of differences in TSA bosses, a lot more than the ones you mentioned, and many more beyond the bosses.

I was in the process of documenting TSA regional differences, as well as Bomberman Hero's regional differences. There is an actual list of Hero's regional differences floating around, originating from the Hero speedrun community. However, aside from the document itself being more lazily written (blatant missing information when comparing US vs JP differences the farther you read into it), there seems to be a lot of undocumented changes that are incredibly hard to miss, which has made me skeptical of the whole document. I only managed to check a few stages so far, but all of them had missing information. For example, in the first hot level where your HP depletes, there's a *lot* of Gold Hearts in the JP version, none in the US version, and the document only lists one Gold Heart difference at the very beginning of the stage.

I've been quite busy so I don't know when I'll get around to completing this list but I've made a lot of progress in recording TSA's differences and haven't really started in Hero.

Are the bosses in Baku2(JPN) harder than the ones in TSA (USA)?
Also, I know about Hero's regional differences. Maybe I'll state some of them.
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#6  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:17 pm  Reply with quote + 
BakuBonba wrote:
Are the bosses in Baku2(JPN) harder than the ones in TSA (USA)?

Some have direct power ups. There's a big difference in movement speed in both games, but that effects bosses too, so it starts to become more complicated as to whether or not it's actually harder. There are additional more subtle changes beyond the fights themselves. I'll go into more detail later when I have all my information and can organize it properly.

BakuBonba wrote:

Where did you get information about the changes? Did you check them yourself?

If you got your changes from here, then this is what I was referring to. This was done by a speedrunner of both the JP and US versions, but as I've checked, it contains a lot of missing differences.
BakuBonba
Bomberdude

Post#7  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:36 pm  Reply with quote + 
BakuBonba wrote:

Quote:
Where did you get information about the changes? Did you check them yourself?

If you got your changes from here, then this is what I was referring to. This was done by a speedrunner of both the JP and US versions, but as I've checked, it contains a lot of missing differences.

I recently Beat the Japanese version of Bomberman Hero. I'm currently Doing a playthrough of the US Version. I also looked into the European version (the music for the cutscene before the title screen is extended because of the slower speed). So, I did my own research.
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.1815s
Index - Back to Top