[Replies: 39]  [Views: 9627]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Page: 1, 2  Next
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General

BakuBonba
Bomberdude

Post#1  Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:40 pm  Reply with quote + 
Guess what everyone? I Found Bomberman '08! :veryhappy: 
Ok. So let me explain. I was surfing the web, looking for Bomberman J2ME games (things like Super Bomberman and Bomberman Deluxe) when I found a mobile game website called ummet.com. on the website, I searched up Bomberman. After that, I found "Bomberman for ppc". To my surprise, the screenshot showed the Bomberman '08 title screen (except for the fact that it said Bomberman rather than Bomberman '08). I instantly installed the game and ran it in Microsoft's Windows Mobile 6 emulator. The game was literally a english translation of Bomberman '08 (Bagura and Bonba Planet are examples of this). The world map uses the Japanese names for the levels. And that's the story! I'll provide the link to the game later.

Last edited by BakuBonba on Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:28 am
"When Konami gives you lemons, remember that this mode is the closest we'll ever get to a Bomberman x Kirby crossover. Make of that what you will." -BakuBonba on "Super Bomberman R's Memory Cartridges in Grand Prix Battle Mode."
View user profile Send Private Message
BakuBonba
Bomberdude

Post#2  Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:11 pm  Reply with quote + 
Hi! Here are some screenshots of the game. I currently don't know how to embed images into forum posts so here's some Google Drive links.
Title Screen
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B798-rH0TxaUWWtWaVJhdkMzSTA/view?usp=sharing
Story
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B798-rH0TxaUeU1vNG5qaXU0QlE/view?usp=sharing
World Map
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B798-rH0TxaUX2l0NDVZTzZoVWs/view?usp=sharing
Area 1-1
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B798-rH0TxaUVjdoWERvWmYwMGs/view?usp=sharing
Area 1-1 (continued)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B798-rH0TxaUTVRvTWswY1BNQUk/view?usp=sharing
Area 1-2
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B798-rH0TxaUZ3RPYW9FLTBEVlU/view?usp=sharing
Stage Clear!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B798-rH0TxaUdUplSXVXek04bGc/view?usp=sharing
Boss 1
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B798-rH0TxaUdG94c1RPZmlfNDQ/view?usp=sharing
Pretty neat, huh? I really like the enhanced graphics. Anyway, the game link will be coming soon. Until then, feel free to post here if need be. :happy: 
"When Konami gives you lemons, remember that this mode is the closest we'll ever get to a Bomberman x Kirby crossover. Make of that what you will." -BakuBonba on "Super Bomberman R's Memory Cartridges in Grand Prix Battle Mode."
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#3  Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:47 pm  Reply with quote + 
Very cool! I've never played this one before.

The most information I know that is out there about it is probably here. A lot of these mobile games kind of fell by the wayside and nobody really talks about them... Probably because most of them didn't make it outside of Japan.
BakuBonba
Bomberdude

Post#4  Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:48 pm  Reply with quote + 
Plasma Captain wrote:
Very cool! I've never played this one before.

The most information I know that is out there about it is probably here. A lot of these mobile games kind of fell by the wayside and nobody really talks about them... Probably because most of them didn't make it outside of Japan.

Ragey's website was the thing that inspired me to look for this game. So i would like to thank him for that.
Also, something I forgot to talk about was the level names. I'll be comparing the level names in Bomberman '08/Bomberman to Mega Bomberman.
(Bomberman '08/Mega Bomberman)
MoriMoriForest/Jammin Jungle
AchiAchiMountain/Vexin Volcano
That's as far as I've gotten so far. I'll continue playing the game later. Also, Bomberman '08 has a save feature, unlike the original.

The strange part about this (other than the fact that they ported Bomberman '08 to Windows mobile) is the fact that its translated. Who translated this? Was it Hudson Soft? I doubt it since the translation is literally a straight translation (MoriMoriForest for example). And... was this even an official release (it comes with touch controls and instructions outside of the game itself)? This boggles my mind. :mystery: 

Here is The Japanese version's title screen (credit to ragey for this picture)

And here is Bomberman '94's title screen.

I was trying to add the link to the website where you could download the game, but the website changed completely. Now, I can't find the file on the website. Luckily, I downloaded the file before then, so I'll just distribute the file through other means.

Its here! But only for a limited time! The Bomberman '08 download! :veryhappy: 
Download Here (With Instructions):
Currently closed
Enjoy! :happy: 

Bomberman '08 is a remake of Bomberman '94/Mega Bomberman released for mobile phones in 2008 (hence the title, Bomberman '08). When the game was released for Windows mobile, it was renamed "Bomberman". Before this, People thought that Bomberman '08 was lost to time. Well, not anymore!
Info on Bomberman '94/Mega Bomberman:
http://www.randomhoohaas.flyingomelette.com/bomb/pce-94/
Info on Bomberman '08:
http://www.randomhoohaas.flyingomelette.com/bomb/mob/08/

Last edited by BakuBonba on Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:31 pm
legato
Bomberman

Post#5  Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:21 pm  Reply with quote + 
Never heard of this game. Can you tell us more about it?
Vent
Bomberdude

Post#6  Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:15 pm  Reply with quote + 
He's already told us a fair amount.
legato
Bomberman

Post#7  Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:30 pm  Reply with quote + 
Gee Vent, thanks for that unproductive post as usual. Maybe instead of acting like an edge lord around here you actually post something people would like to read.

I wanted to know more information about this game because I've never heard of the J2ME games or Bomberman '08 and I'm sure there are others who haven't as well. Is the entire game just a remake of '94 or is there differences or new modes?
BakuBonba
Bomberdude

Post#8  Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:49 pm  Reply with quote + 
legato wrote:
Gee Vent, thanks for that unproductive post as usual. Maybe instead of acting like an edge lord around here you actually post something people would like to read.

I wanted to know more information about this game because I've never heard of the J2ME games or Bomberman '08 and I'm sure there are others who haven't as well. Is the entire game just a remake of '94 or is there differences or new modes?

Here is a website you can use to learn more.

Regarding J2me games, I've found Several games. Here is the list.
Super Bomberman (Not a port of The SNES game. Wikipedia lies!)
Bomberman Deluxe (doesn't seem so "Deluxe" to me)
Bomberman Supreme/Reloaded (Comes with a BAD Perfectly Fine port of Bomberman NES. Other than that, this game gets a *PB rating.
Spoiler:
*PB = Pretty Boring. - Sonic and BakuBonba.
)
Bomberman Kart (Do you know someone who drives over the speed limit alot? Have them try to keep nitro speed in this game without crashing into something. They'll never speed again.)
Bomberman 3D (as 3D as Symbian Phone games get!)
3D Bomberman Atomic (Please Don't play it. Also, what type of title is 3D Bomberman Atomic?!)
Bomberman Panic (Literally a port of Panic Bomber. Why they couldn't call it Panic Bomber is beyond me.)
Bomberman Pinball
Spoiler:
(I. Hate. This. Game.)
Maybe I'll make this into a Mobile Game Thread.
Anyway, As far as I can tell, Bomberman '08/Bomberman Doesn't add a whole lot of things.
Additions:
The Spirit Piece Animation after you clear a level is completely different between '94 and '08.

Battle Mode is GONE. Wait... that's not an addition!

The Password system has been Turned into an actual save system with 2 save files (you can only save on the level select screen).

The graphics are Updated and the characters use modern designs.

As for info on Bomberman '08, Well, Gather around the Forum Campfire, everyone as I'm going to tell you about Bomberman '08.
Bomberman '08 is a Japan only (Is?! More like Was!) Mobile phone game. The game (as evidenced by the title) is a remake of Bomberman '94/Mega Bomberman. The game Boasted New, Enhanced Graphics, And the Ever so Classic BM '94 Normal Game. I thought it was Japan only until I came across a Windows mobile 6 port, known as Bomberman. The PocketPc port, unlike the original, was practically undocumented at the time(its not like Bomberman '08 is a beacon of info either). So, I decided to make that my first forum topic. The port of a port was English translated meaning that Hudson Soft was probably involved in this. Bomberman '08 (for some reason) removes the Battle Game (The only options are NewGame, Continue, and Help). It also doesn't have the intro cutscene. The story is covered in the Help menu.

Also @legato, Bomberman '08 is literally a remake of '94 (with a proper save feature). There aren't any Huge differences or New Modes.

Last edited by BakuBonba on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:20 pm
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#9  Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:13 pm  Reply with quote + 
Awesome! Thanks for digging more into this.

As for the stage names, those aren't anything new. Those are the original Japanese names. Mega Bomberman changed the names during English localization, as was/is common.
BakuBonba
Bomberdude

Post#10  Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:29 pm  Reply with quote + 
Plasma Captain wrote:
Awesome! Thanks for digging more into this.

As for the stage names, those aren't anything new. Those are the original Japanese names. Mega Bomberman changed the names during English localization, as was/is common.

Then why would they use Straight Translations of the level names? Did they not feel like making the Area names more sensible in English (I don't know anyone who uses Mori in English)? Oh well.
EDIT: Then again, The Japanese Area names are supposed to be Wordplay so...

----------------------------------------------------------
Bonbaman Or Bomberman. Take your pick.

I'm planning on recording the music for this game since it sounds a bit different from the PCE version. Coming Soon! :happy: 
Also, has anyone here tried out the game?
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#11  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:58 am  Reply with quote + 
BakuBonba wrote:
Then why would they use Straight Translations of the level names? Did they not feel like making the Area names more sensible in English (I don't know anyone who uses Mori in English)? Oh well.

I assume it's a bad translation. In the European release of Bomberman World, the localization team actually transliterated random words in the manual that I assume they couldn't understand ("mori mori star" instead of, I don't know, "forest star"? And even "Bomber Akindo" when "akindo" is literally just the word for "merchant"... "Bomber Merchant"). It's so bad that every world in the manual has two different interpretations of its name.

It's a recurring theme over the decades that Bomberman gets the shaft when it comes to localization.

I wasn't aware that there was even an English version of this port, so I'm surprised that this exists anyway.
BakuBonba
Bomberdude

Post#12  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:54 am  Reply with quote + 
Plasma Captain wrote:
BakuBonba wrote:

I assume it's a bad translation. In the European release of Bomberman World, the localization team actually transliterated random words in the manual that I assume they couldn't understand ("mori mori star" instead of, I don't know, "forest star"? And even "Bomber Akindo" when "akindo" is literally just the word for "merchant"... "Bomber Merchant"). It's so bad that every world in the manual has two different interpretations of its name.

It's a recurring theme over the decades that Bomberman gets the shaft when it comes to localization.

I wasn't aware that there was even an English version of this port, so I'm surprised that this exists anyway.

Then again, the European version of Bomberman World brought us such "gems" as "Ouch Star" (Seriously, what were they thinking). I guess the localization team was lazy with this one (Remember Bomberman Max's "Defeat all of Enemies"? That one's a classic). Oh, and your surprised that an English version of this port exists? Me and You both, Plasma Captain.

Uhhhh......
:worry: 

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo.........!!!!
Hudson Soft. Why? :cry: 
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#13  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:51 am  Reply with quote + 
BakuBonba wrote:
Then again, the European version of Bomberman World brought us such "gems" as "Ouch Star" (Seriously, what were they thinking).

This is just another sign of a bad translation. "Achiachi suta" sounds kind of like "ouch ouch star" so they went with that. I'm fairly sure the actual translation should be "Hot Star" (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

This sort of thing happened in the Virtual Boy version of Panic Bomber with "decker bomb". The big bombs are called "deka bomu"l "deka" literally means "big". The fact that the translator(s) were too inept to understand that and instead transliterated it as "decker" speaks volumes about the quality of the localization team for the game.

Act: Zero on a mobile phone... huh. Just when you thought it couldn't get any shittier.
BakuBonba
Bomberdude

Post#14  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:26 pm  Reply with quote + 
Plasma Captain wrote:
BakuBonba wrote:
Then again, the European version of Bomberman World brought us such "gems" as "Ouch Star" (Seriously, what were they thinking).

This is just another sign of a bad translation. "Achiachi suta" sounds kind of like "ouch ouch star" so they went with that. I'm fairly sure the actual translation should be "Hot Star" (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

This sort of thing happened in the Virtual Boy version of Panic Bomber with "decker bomb". The big bombs are called "deka bomu"l "deka" literally means "big". The fact that the translator(s) were too inept to understand that and instead transliterated it as "decker" speaks volumes about the quality of the localization team for the game.

Act: Zero on a mobile phone... huh. Just when you thought it couldn't get any shittier.

Decker Bomb?! Those translators should never translate again with a mistranslation that bad. Also, today I saw a YouTube gameplay video of Bomberman Act: Bleh er... Zero Mobile type. Its the only video of its kind on YouTube (and the internet for that matter). It shows off the online mode. The framerate is Mediocre to say the least.
But seriously, Why is there a Mobile port of Bomberman Act: Fail Zero?
"Bomberman Act: Zero is so fun, I want to take it on the go! :happy:  " Said No one EVER!
legato
Bomberman

Post#15  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:08 pm  Reply with quote + 
Hey BakuBonba, thanks for sharing all this pal! Really glad to see someone delving into the mobile ports of Bomberman games. :peace:  Do you have a download link for the Act Zero mobile by chance?

Took me a bit to upload, but I did a full playthrough of Bomberman '08 for anyone who wants to skim through it and compare it to '94.

https://youtu.be/nSumFRlGV2I
BakuBonba
Bomberdude

Post#16  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:29 pm  Reply with quote + 
legato wrote:
Hey BakuBonba, thanks for sharing all this pal! Really glad to see someone delving into the mobile ports of Bomberman games. :peace:  Do you have a download link for the Act Zero mobile by chance?

Sorry. I don't. I only have screenshots from ragey's website. There is a YouTube video from 2006 however.

legato wrote:
Took me a bit to upload, but I did a full playthrough of Bomberman '08 for anyone who wants to skim through it and compare it to '94.

https://youtu.be/nSumFRlGV2I

Awesome! So, what did you think about the remake?

So, people here are interested in remakes. Ok. Here's another one. Bomberman Supreme/Reloaded. Some versions come with a Bomberman NES port. Pictures will arrive soon.

Here are screenshots of some Bomberman mobile games.
Bomberman Supreme (Bomberman Classic/Bomberman NES port):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B798-rH0TxaUaEg5c3pKTE5uTGs/view?usp=sharing
Bomberman Deluxe:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B798-rH0TxaUV04xZksyRDl1bDA/view?usp=sharing
Bomberman 3D (176x208 resolution):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B798-rH0TxaUQlR4Y1BWWWo1dEU/view?usp=sharing
3D Bomberman Atomic (The "spirtual" successor to Bomberman 3D. Remember when i warned you about this game?):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B798-rH0TxaUMVJpUFBJZEQ1WmM/view?usp=sharing
Super Bomberman:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B798-rH0TxaUUVo1b1FGeFgtaW8/view?usp=sharing
Look at them. Enjoy them. Dicuss them. :happy: 

Has anyone here put Bomberman '08/Bomberman on the Bomberman WiKi? If not, can someone do it? Thanks. :happy: 
Also, Will we ever solve this mystery of who translated this game?

Here's a 3D Bomberman Atomic screenshot from mobygames.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#17  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:03 pm  Reply with quote + 
That last screenshot looks like a bad mockup made in an early version of Game Maker using improperly ripped Bomberman World character graphics.

I'm really curious about that, as well as Earth Bomber being there. Part of me wonders if this is a bootleg, even though it has Hudson Soft's name on the bootup splash screen. Even the title screen is terrible; the repurposed artwork of Bomberman has been poorly edited to give him a new expression.

But given the quality of the other phone titles I've seen so far, the other part of me is not surprised about how terrible this looks.

BakuBonba wrote:
Has anyone here put Bomberman '08/Bomberman on the Bomberman WiKi? If not, can someone do it?

The Bomberman Wiki has been a joke for a long time. Let's just let it keep burning, like the tire fire it is. No use adding fuel to it.
BakuBonba
Bomberdude

Post#18  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:28 pm  Reply with quote + 
Plasma Captain wrote:
That last screenshot looks like a bad mockup made in an early version of Game Maker using improperly ripped Bomberman World character graphics.

I'm really curious about that, as well as Earth Bomber being there. Part of me wonders if this is a bootleg, even though it has Hudson Soft's name on the bootup splash screen. Even the title screen is terrible; the repurposed artwork of Bomberman has been poorly edited to give him a new expression.

But given the quality of the other phone titles I've seen so far, the other part of me is not surprised about how terrible this looks.

Trust me, 3D Bomberman Atomic is an official game (Living Mobile, the company that distributed Hudson Soft mobile games distributed this game). Also, in some stages, there are TWO Earth Bombers! TWO!
Lastly, this game plays WORST than it looks. Remember when I warned people earlier about this game? Well...
1.The Controls are so bad! There were many instances where I tapped a direction (right, for instance), only to careen in that direction.
2.The graphics. Ugh... the graphics.
3.Why are there Two, count em, TWO Earth Bombers?!

I found this YouTube video from 2006 on BM act zero mobile type. :peace: 
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5FVexoXEqeI
BakuBonba
Bomberdude

Post#19  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:11 pm  Reply with quote + 
This thread is officially Renamed to "Bomberman Mobile Thread"
You can post info on Mobile Bomberman games, or discuss them, or just look at them.
legato
Bomberman

Post#20  Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:44 am  Reply with quote + 
So I've been playing through a lot of these mobile games and recording full playthroughs. I just finished 3D Bomberman Atomic and look who shows up as bosses.

Why it's the Angel of Light and Shadow! That's pretty shocking to actually see it in another game outside of TSA. The second one there appears to be Cerberus from B64! Another bizarre cameo there. :surprise: 
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 1 of 2 Page: 1, 2  Next

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2401s
Index - Back to Top