[Replies: 272]  [Views: 45236]
Users browsing this topic: 1 Guest
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General
Users watching this topic: 4  
AtomicPoetryPunk
Bomberdude

Post#21  Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:14 pm  Reply with quote + 
Also, I'm not a huge fan of how the characters fly out of the stage when thy die like in Smash Bros. I prefer them to burn up and die right where they stand :flame: 
View user profile Send Private Message
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#22  Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:08 pm  Reply with quote + 
I kind of like how they fly off screen, it's cute and different from the norm.

Some people were talking earlier about that Pretty Bomber character; it might actually still be Pretty Bomber even though it looks so radically different from before. My initial assumption was "well, they've been recasting Pretty Bomber as a neutral/good character for years, so I guess they decided to completely cut her out of the villains", but who knows at this point.

That pink player character is just called "Pink", though maybe she could be an allusion to Cute Pink as the other female character is named "Aqua" (also a Land character's name).

The new Ballom is so very odd in its design. It's upside down... But it's still cute.

I'm also pretty excited by all the cutscenes. :star: 

(...Speaking of the Treehouse thing, those guys hadn't played a lot of Bomberman, had they? Lol. They were speaking as though magnets, stairs, or stage-obscuring elements were something new.)
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#23  Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:09 am  Reply with quote + 
This was the surprise of the conference to me, I caught the 4 second trailer, and was SUPER hype. Never thought we'd be back, and this looks good.
AtomicPoetryPunk
Bomberdude

Post#24  Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:16 am  Reply with quote + 
http://www.gamestop.com/games/super-bomberman-r-nintendo-switch/141929

Here's a link to GameStop's page for it. I'm a little concerned about the $60 price point, personally. I hope that doesn't stop many newcomers from getting into the game. I think a simple game like Bomberman would be an easier sell at something like $40. I hope though, that the $60 SKU means that it actually has that much effort and value packed into it's development and it's not just an example of Konami being cheap about everything. :shifty: 

I thought, for a second, maybe there would be some type of in-game plot explanation as to why Pretty Bomber is now hero and not a villain coming from the other Super Bomberman games. I think that's a long shot though, even though it shares the same title as the old games, I doubt this new game is targeted towards fans of the old. It probably just won't acknowledge it at all. I wish it could be something like Shiro teaming up with the Dastardly Bombers to stop a new threat, or Bagura! But I'll bet this game is just a full story reboot, and you're probably right about that being just Cute Pink from the Bomberman Land games, or just a regular Pink Bomber. That's still cool with me though, at least she's there at all :oops:  at least any of them are there at all at this point.

The Balloms are SO WEIRD! They look more like animals than balloons now... or like... some kind of Pokemon? I wouldn't even recognize them as balloon type enemies if I wasn't already familiar with them. But the new graphic style makes everything look good! Like it's all made of clay or plastic, the HD shaders really bring a new sense of life to all of the models.

10 out of 10, would buy a Ballom Amiibo! :peace: 
herrDoktorat
Bomberman

Post#25  Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:40 am  Reply with quote + 
Really happy with the redesigns. <3 Bomberman had been struggling to find a good art direction, with every game going for something different and some ending up terribly generic, like Bomberman Live. I was never particularly fond of the Land style, either.

Pretty Bomber probably got hit the heaviest because she always looked a little out of place among the group, being an idol in real life and all. Not to mention, they needed to contrast with the new Pink Bomber—they both got heart shaped pom poms, but inverted, and the belt is a heart symbol too. I like her new punk look and her Lucina-esque mask. The cracked heart might mean something too.

Also, here is the header image in a bigger size:

I wonder if Plasma is a girl this time around... that would make me very happy.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#26  Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:35 am  Reply with quote + 
Wow, even you're here! :happy:  It's been years... :stun: 

It hadn't even occurred to me until later yesterday afternoon that the pink villain might actually still be Pretty Bomber. I'd just assumed that they replaced her entirely since she'd been rewritten as a protagonist for so long, like they were reinventing her image. Regardless of whether that's the case, I do like the new appearance - she's certainly one of the more badass-looking female villains. :cool: 
herrDoktorat
Bomberman

Post#27  Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:14 am  Reply with quote + 
I've always been here, lurking! Nice to talk to you again, though. :>

I read that the old Bomberman staff is working on this game, so I have high hopes. I saw tons of nods to the old games both in the trailer and in Treehouse liveplay, some of which have been pointed out here. Golem Bomber was a gentle giant in like, one game, but here he is with moss and a flower growing on him. Aqua comes from the Land games, but while the skirt and ribbon design has been around since B-Daman, she does look rather similar to this Jetters character. Blue is sleepy, like in Super Bomberman 4, etc.

I wonder whether the R means reboot, remake or restart. Super Bomberman 3 switched the setting from Earth to outer space, and then 4 or 5 introduced Planet Bomber, so it could be a remake/reimagining of 2 or 3. Whatever the case, I am literally overflowing with joy that the Five Bad Bombers are back. <3 Treehouse confirmed costumes, but hopefully they will all be unlockable as characters.

AND YES, PUNK FALLEN IDOL PRETTY BOMBER IS BOSS!
AtomicPoetryPunk
Bomberdude

Post#28  Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:51 pm  Reply with quote + 
Oh my GOD, You are so right! How did I miss that, of course that's Pretty (Punk Rock) Bomber with the other Dastardly Bombers. She looks so cool in that small picture too, we need some actual concept art!

I'm so excited, Cute Pink and Pretty Bomber in the same game? Pinch me... :heart: 

I wish they'd release some sort of credits list too so that we could see exactly who's working on this.
herrDoktorat
Bomberman

Post#29  Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:05 pm  Reply with quote + 
I want concept art SO BAD, but should they not release it, at least the game has 2D animated cutscenes, she is bound to appear there!

This reminds me that I could never find any artwork of Anna from Bomberman Blast...

Oh, by the way, there is an English page and trailer for the game as well, here. I think someone translated the text on the Japanese site here, and this should be about the same, but just in case:

Quote:
Since its release in 1985, Bomberman has been a familiar party-battle game for many years. Now, Bomberman is coming back as "SUPER BOMBERMAN R" to Nintendo Switch.

In SUPER BOMBERMAN R, the simple rule remains the same: operate the main character (Bomberman), place bombs, and battle with enemies and rivals, but it's coming back in a modern style with 3D stages and photo-real graphics. You can enjoy battles with rivals from all over the world.

There is "Battle" mode for maximum of 8 players, and single play "Story" mode (cooperative play for 2 players is possible as well) where players clear each stage one by one, with a big volume of 50 stages. Also, there is a new rule where the condition to clear the stage is not just by wiping out all the enemies. This simple but strategic game with new rules and 3D stages is fun for everyone, from children to adults.

Features:

• Bomberman is back with the same game system and controllability with a fresh take on a classic title
• Photo-real graphics
• Bomberman's siblings and well-known enemies are back with rich personality
• 3D stages with dynamic environments
• Battle mode for maximum of 8 players, local connection battles, and online battles
• Enriched story with all-star voice actors

I wonder where they got the idea that not having to clear the enemies is a new rule.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#30  Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:50 pm  Reply with quote + 
herrDoktorat wrote:
I've always been here, lurking! Nice to talk to you again, though. :>

Oh, well, welcome back from the shadows. :laugh: 

herrDoktorat wrote:
I wonder where they got the idea that not having to clear the enemies is a new rule.

I have no idea. In the Treehouse video, the Konami U.S. representative was talking about magnet traps and even those stage-covering foreground elements as though they were also new things (one of the other guys commented on "how much they've done with the core mechanic"... lol). Presumably they assume that newcomers won't know better, and will think that this stuff is brand new, and the rest of us won't care.

Based on a few things, I'm going to lay out my predictions for boss order, so in case I'm right I can brag about it later (lol :peace:  ):

1) Magnet Bomber - The first world has magnet traps, and he's never been any stronger before. The first boss in the trailer, the crab-like one, appears to have a long bar magnet (it has an "N" on it), so I assume that's his respective big boss.

2) Pretty Bomber

3) Plasma Bomber

4) Brain Bomber - Basing these three off of Story's order.

5) Golem Bomber - He's depicted separately from the rest of the characters, so he seems potentially more important this time around. That could just be a stylistic choice, but in the trailer, the second boss we see is a huge castle-like mech with foliage on top and one big eye. Both in design and colour, it matches up with Golem Bomber's new design. Also, its shape is very reminiscent of Fire Breast, his boss form in Super Bomberman 2. The way the characters react to this boss indicates to me that it's probably an important one, and thus logically places him at the end. As I mentioned earlier, it's not unprecedented for the last Bomber boss to be just the biggest strongest guy - in Quest, Burning Commander was clearly not a leader, but was still the last boss faced, and in the GameCube version of Jetters, Grand Bomber was faced last, despite his character in the anime. It could be an interesting twist.
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#31  Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:13 pm  Reply with quote + 
I didn't see it linked here before (apologies if I just missed it), but for the record, here's someone talking about the Konami rep mentioning that the team responsible for SBR is partially comprised of former Hudson employees who worked on past Bomberman games: http://www.siliconera.com/2017/01/13/super-bomberman-r-is-being-made-by-former-bomberman-staff/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I like thinking of the R in the title as standing for "Resurrection," even though that's probably not what it is. But that's what this game represents to me. It's true that there's nothing really revolutionary about Super Bomberman R, not in the way that Bomberman 64 changed up the original single-player gameplay, but it does look like a good return to form and then some, which is way more than what any of us could have expected of da Konams based on the past several years. Since it's clearly and specifically a throwback to the Super Bomberman days, it's entirely possible that an N64 throwback (/VIBRATES INTENSELY...!!!!) is in the gold cards, if this game does well and Konami keeps its shiitake mushrooms together.

Additionally, since I came into the franchise via the N64 games (more specifically, Bomberman Hero, although I had played some B64 multiplayer at a not-cousin's house once or twice), I don't have nostalgic memories of the Super Bomberman style of gameplay.* So I'm excited to experience some of it here.

*That being said, it occurs to me that the dungeon levels in both Bomberman Tournament/Story and Bomberman Story DS are essentially SB-style stages with more context, which especially makes a lot of sense given the plot of the former. Bomberman 2/Custom Battler Bomberman harkens closer to the more straightforward Super Bomberman days, I think, and this was the game I thought of when the Treehouse hosts mentioned the different stage clearing conditions.

AO3 | deviantArt | Tumblr
Bluesky | Twitter | Ko-Fi
Bombermanga | Bomber Base | B-Daman Now, Dog!

If I don't wield the bomb, I can't protect you. If I keep wielding the bomb, I can't embrace you.
Nitros
Bomberbie

Post#32  Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:23 pm  Reply with quote + 
I'm quietly optimistic for this, it's about time we had a new Bomberman game. The art style looks cute. I'm really hoping for some concept/official art in the near future.
fireball87
Bomberjack

Post#33  Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:01 pm  Reply with quote + 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qadzCB3CLlI and then click on one of the timestamps has some gameplay footage.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#34  Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:27 pm  Reply with quote + 
I saw a post from Konami on Facebook linking to the GameStop page, which features a lot of new screenshots!

Of particular note:

A closer shot of Magnet Bomber's mech! Maybe they combine directly with the machines?

Could this be Plasma Bomber's mech?

Could this be Pretty Bomber's mech?

I couldn't find this elsewhere, but this is the image that was posted to Facebook. You can see most of the characters in new poses, albeit in low resolution.

Bagura seems to have fangs like he did back in '94. What little of his outfit can be seen reminds me of his Dark Bomber form from Bomberman Wars, kind of. Brain Bomber retains his twisted-up appearance from Bomberman Story (actually, it's interesting that his helmet is back to being purple now, instead of grey, as it had been since SB3). Either Pretty Bomber (?) isn't wearing a skirt, or is wearing something similar to what Artemis wore.
herrDoktorat
Bomberman

Post#35  Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:43 pm  Reply with quote + 
NEW ART! <3 Pretty Bomber doing an ojou laugh, be still my heart. Real nice find, Plasma!

I do hope you get to fight them first before they get into the robots, like in Super Bomberman 2.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#36  Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:07 pm  Reply with quote + 
Same. It would be a wasted opportunity if they didn't fight normally as well. I'm fairly certain that SB3 was the only game that had Bomber opponents who weren't faced in ordinary battles, so... here's hoping!

EDIT: Ruki found that the U.S. Konami page for the game now has a ton of screenshots, including even clearer screenshots of the Plasma, Brain, and Golem bosses:

https://www.konami.com/games/bomberman/r/us/en/

Meanwhile, this page (thanks Ruki) shows Pretty Bomber's actual mech (a big heart robot) and some more screenshots:

http://console-tribe.com/news/super-bomberman-r-sara-uno-dei-titoli-lancio-nintendo-switch-84756/attachment/w4_bossrobo_02/
Sora G. Silverwind
Bomberjack

Post#37  Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:57 pm  Reply with quote + 
Those mechs look so sick they probably need a doctor. Someone call Ein!

[/bad jokes]

AO3 | deviantArt | Tumblr
Bluesky | Twitter | Ko-Fi
Bombermanga | Bomber Base | B-Daman Now, Dog!

If I don't wield the bomb, I can't protect you. If I keep wielding the bomb, I can't embrace you.
AtomicPoetryPunk
Bomberdude

Post#38  Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:40 am  Reply with quote + 
I love this brave new post-Switch world! Today I actually had some people come in to the video game store, where I work, talking about Super Bomberman R and how excited they were to play it! It makes my heart so happy to see people in real life excited about Bomberman! I can't believe it! <3 <3 <3

And all of the new screenshots look incredible too, some of those mechs give me chills to look at. Those massive boss fights are what it's all about for me! :flame:  Also, the cute...

Sora G. Silverwind wrote:
Those mechs look so sick they probably need a doctor. Someone call Ein!

[/bad jokes]

Sora, I appreciate you very much lol
herrDoktorat
Bomberman

Post#39  Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:47 am  Reply with quote + 
I was looking more closely at those screenshots in the Konami site (which unfortunately are the same in every region, even Japan) and I do believe they show us costumes!

Nothing special, of course, but they do look like they might be a little bit better than the terribly generic Bomberman Live costumes, and either customizable or tailored to each character.

Oh, also, did anyone else notice you seem to fight Brain Bomber on a movie studio?

Yellow Bomber seems to be on the same platform as the camera, there are those suspicious tiles, and the camera closest to him seems to be about to hit by a laser beam, so maybe it is the boss gimmick.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#40  Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:27 am  Reply with quote + 
Yeah, I believe the Konami rep said the costumes were just custom antennae to distinguish characters (especially if multiple people are playing as the same colour). They look cute though!

As for the Brain Bomber battle, it looks to me like there are elevator platforms that can take players to the raised or lower sections of the map. I wonder if there's a puzzle element? Maybe it does involve the projectors? It looks cool, whatever's going on!
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Bomberman In General All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 2 of 14 Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2606s
Index - Back to Top